Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Even if he loses, hats of to Fed...first time in so long, even a year, I've seen him come through after being up and up yet still getting pegged back. Haven't seen him pull through a set like that against a top top player in ages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

6-0 final set?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

It's definitely a promising sign, it looks like he just needed to get some of his confidence back and these tough matches against top players should really drive him on. He is definitely not finished yet, he can still really hold his own against them.

Come on Roger :)

ah, maybe I spoke too soon though, he's just been broken to love in the 3rd...

Even if he loses now, huge effort by Roger, he is fighting for everything.

Great match, for two tired players, the rallies in the 3rd set have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whatever about the speed of the surfaces discussion what is going on with the rubbish camera angle at the indoor tournaments.
    It makes the tennis almost unwatchable ,the camera is so low the court looks tiny and square .
    Its like a table tennis court .
    You cant get the right perspective,it looks like the players are tapping the ball as the court looks so short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Whatever about the speed of the surfaces discussion what is going on with the rubbish camera angle at the indoor tournaments.
    It makes the tennis almost unwatchable ,the camera is so low the court looks tiny and square .
    Its like a table tennis court .
    You cant get the right perspective,it looks like the players are tapping the ball as the court looks so short.

I actually love the camera angle, really close to the action!

I do agree with the last thing you said though, we don't really have a full appreciation of just how hard they're hitting the ball.

No reaction to that match at all? Wasn't as good as their final but for a first round match its as good as you get.

Am I the only one happy to see Federer back able to play with the best of the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pretty big error count again for Federer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Cold Chocolate

It's encouraging to see Federer's performance improve but if he can't beat Djokovic at the O2 how will he beat him at the Australian open or the rest of the slower surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It's encouraging to see Federer's performance improve but if he can't beat Djokovic at the O2 how will he beat him at the Australian open or the rest of the slower surfaces.

Correct. His days of beating djokovic anywhere are over. Just remains to be seen if he can take nadal here. Would like to see that in the semis maybe. Well, not that I'd like to watch Nadal play at all but if he loses that'd be something.

• Advertisement

Nadal beats Wawrinka, qualifies for SF and guarantees year end #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I actually love the camera angle, really close to the action!

I do agree with the last thing you said though, we don't really have a full appreciation of just how hard they're hitting the ball.

Its an awful camera angle ,I find it very hard to watch ,it looks unnatural.
    The angle used by Wimbledon for the 3D is closer to the action but still has the right depth perspective,you could see the height of the ball going over the net .You can also appreciate how hard theses guys hit the ball.

A bit off topic but this video here shows the ridiculous amount of spin that Nadal imparts on the ball and how high he hits the ball over the net,its ridiculous to be honest,kicks like a mule.

Am I the only one happy to see Federer back able to play with the best of the best?
    He is way off his best ,his unforced error count is huge,his second serve is poor and he bottles the big points more often than not.
    Some of the unforced errors he hits these days wouldn't look out of place for a 12 year old at my local club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Cold Chocolate

Its an awful camera angle ,I find it very hard to watch ,it looks unnatural.
    The angle used by Wimbledon for the 3D is closer to the action but still has the right depth perspective,you could see the height of the ball going over the net .You can also appreciate how hard theses guys hit the ball.

A bit off topic but this video here shows the ridiculous amount of spin that Nadal imparts on the ball and how high he hits the ball over the net,its ridiculous to be honest,kicks like a mule.

He is way off his best ,his unforced error count is huge,his second serve is poor and he bottles the big points more often than not.
    Some of the unforced errors he hits these days wouldn't look out of place for a 12 year old at my local club.

Still though, he can produce some of the best tennis any 32 year old ever has. I doubt a 32 year old Djokovic or Nadal would stand much of a chance against him.

Great match between Nadal and Wawrinka!! Really wanted to see it go into a decider but Stan just didn't do quite enough... I'd say he will definitely make it to the semis though, he is playing very very we'll so I can't see him losing to Ferrer.

So Rafa is the year end no1 for the 3rd time! Thoroughly well deserved and well done, what a year for him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Milos Raonic has to be most boring commentator ever. Who ever hired him should be fired.

i thought he was a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Mousewar wrote: »
    i thought he was a player.

He is but he didn't make it to the ATP finals, so he is commentating. But he is so boring.

So Federer betters Delpo's result against Gasquet. Doesn't really matter though I suppose - he'll still need to beat Delpo.
    Although if Delpo beats Djoko tonight and Federer does beat Delpo, it's going to get confusing again.

Nadal beats Berdych 6-4 1-6 6-3, Stan must have been having multiple heart attacks watching that 2nd set! Berdych's serving was almost impossible to return for a good half an hour and Nadal just went walkabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Nadal beats Berdych 6-4 1-6 6-3, Stan must have been having multiple heart attacks watching that 2nd set! Berdych's serving was almost impossible to return for a good half an hour and Nadal just went walkabout.

Berdych was in the zone to be fair on Rafa, but he hung in and Berdych gifted him a break in the last set. Same old song sadly.

• Advertisement

YES! Each set felt like deja vu, some fight back by Roger.

Gutted for Del Potro, hate seeing him lose in tight matches.

Cannot wait till tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

What a comeback from Federer!! Nice to see him pull it off when almost down and out.

Gutted for Delpo though, but there's always next year.

Nadal vs. Federer XXXII tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Snowy Man

It could a beat tight match tomorrow. Old possibly tired Fed on his best surface vs peak hardcourt nadal on his weakest surface except for maybe fast grass.

If Fed can sustain his top form he wins this. Anything less and Nadal wins.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't believe Delpo threw that away :rolleyes: He played great for the first seven games of the match. After that he was just so... passive? I dunno. Hopefully he can do something next year.

Ugh, not looking forward to either SF now.

If Djokovic plays like he played earlier in the year then his match against Wawrinka might be entertaining but if he plays like he's been playing the past week it'll be a one way street.

Federer vs Nadal is a snooze fest.

Ugh, not looking forward to either SF now.

If Djokovic plays like he played earlier in the year then his match against Wawrinka might be entertaining but if he plays like he's been playing the past week it'll be a one way street.

Federer vs Nadal is a snooze fest.

I know. A lot of people seem to be playing it up like Federer actually has a chance or something.

Great match today - really enjoyed it.
    And yes, both semis are walkovers basically.
    Stan has a slight chance if he plays spectacular I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Snowy Man

I know. A lot of people seem to be playing it up like Federer actually has a chance or something.

On this surface he does have a chance.

Snowy Man wrote: »
    On this surface he does have a chance.

At this stage of his career and given his form this year, I have my doubts. I may be wrong though. We shall see.

Not really keen on either, but if I had to pick someone to win I'd probably go for Fed. I want Wawrinka to win the whole thing, but how likely is that to happen :pac:

• Advertisement

I want Wawrinka to win the whole thing, but how likely is that to happen :pac:

Same, would love a Wawrinka/Federer final!!

Advertisement