Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Would love if Tomas could clinch it tomorrow against Djokovic. Unlikely though given the home support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Djokovic is 2 sets up on Berdych and he's just broken him to go 2-1 up in the 3rd. Looking likely that it'll be a Serbian win. All comes down to the final match.

Djokovic wins it. 2-2 now.

Radek Stepanek wins it for Czech Republic again. Read on Twitter that some of the Serbian crowd started to leave during the last match. Really disrespectful to Dusan Lajovic imo. I know he had a slim chance of winning but that's beside the point. It's just plain rude!

Happy the Czech's won again. I doubt Berdych will get a look at any big trophies in his own career so it's great to see him get ones with his country.

Lots of suggestions that Djokovic should have played the doubles. Clearly people don't realise how useless he is at doubles, and just how good Berdych and Steps are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I'm glad the Czechs won it, I'm not Tomas' biggest fan but I'm happy that he didn't finish 2013 without a trophy; he's too good a player not to have won anything this year. Also, without Tipsarevic Serbia are a one man show and that isn't really what the Davis Cup is about, as brilliant as Djokovic is.

+1 about Djokovic in doubles. Surprising how bad he is. Definitely the worst of the top 10, if not more!

Delighted for the Czechs. I see Petra tweeted a pic of her watching it with the caption 'Pojd Rado!!'.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree that Djokovic playing the doubles would'nt have won it for the Serbs. He is phenomenal at singles and almost unbeatable in Davis Cup. However I wouldnt say he is useless at doubles, he has won an ATP title in doubles (Queens) and that was with little or no practice.

The other top 3 players have hardly set the world alight in doubles either. I think Berdych and Stepanek would have won regardless.

Chris Kermode made ATP President. Good choice. He did a great job with Queens and the World Tour Finals. LTA missed out on appointing him as their Chairman imo.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Paul Annacone has been appointed Sloane Stephen's coach, his first time coaching a WTA player (I think). Simona Halep has also parted ways with her coach, which seems bizarre considering how good her season was.

• Advertisement

Be quite a shock for Annacone going from the ballet like movements of Federer to the feet stuck in cement lack of movement of Sloane Stephens.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've always thought Sloane was a fantastic mover around the court and that her defense is one of her best assets? Probably not quite as good as Federer though :pac:

Contenders for WTA shot of the year. Aga very obviously has this in the bag.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNVpzcLyrRw

^Anytime I've watched her she's terrible. She's quite fast when she does move but her actual footwork is terrible. She's so lazy at times (90% of the time) too.

Yup, her passivity is her worst trait. If she actually cops on to herself next year and starts caring about the non-slam events she'll easily be top 10. Without a doubt she has top 5 potential. Well, in my opinion anyway.

^ Yep. She does well in Australia, gains lots of points, moves up rankings. Makes next to no effort for a few months, slides back down a bit, has to start over again at the next slam. Rinse. Repeat.

Even if Annacone just improves her attitude they should see some success.

Sharapova has hired Sven Groeneveld as her new coach.

He had been working with that Team Adidas thing recently but clearly not any more.

The bit that surprised me the most about the article was that Tomic is 52 in the rankings. Thought he was lower down.

^ Same! I would've thought that he was just inside the top 100.

When I saw the article originally I initially thought fair enough, he's young, it's the off season and he's celebrating his 21st, surely even he's entitled to a night out? Then I saw that it was his 4th night out this week, and my sympathy waned somewhat. It's interesting to see in the article he said something about how he said he's gonna start training hard "next week", which is exactly what Thomas Druet said he used to say. Clearly he has still made no progress with his attitude to the game.

I worry Tomic will end his career with nothing noteworthy to his name. Just a player that had potential and did nothing with it.

• Advertisement

Well it's certainly looking like that at the moment. He's got time on his side, he's still only 21, but how long can we continue making excuses for him? "He's only young", "he'll grow up", "he'll get rid of his father eventually". People have been saying this for at least 2 years now and still no change. When his father assaulted Druet at the start of the year I think most thought this was a turning point, but still no change. It's sad really.

I really don't see the issue with this latest thing. It is the off season. So he takes a week or two to get it all out of his system. In the grand scheme of things, and even just in regards his own previous behaviour, I don't think this is a big deal.

^ Four nights in one week though? It seems excessive, even for off season.

It's progress that he's left it until the off season to do it :D

He was spotted out 4 times but he doesn't seem to have been drunk at all, or naked wrestling, or running away from police and hiding in his house from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

he doesn't seem to have been drunk at all, or naked wrestling, or running away from police and hiding in his house from them.

Really, what a ****ing square if not:D

Article that ranks the court speeds of all 2013 tournaments. How accurate this is is open to question, as it goes by purely the ratio of aces per court, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. Amazing just how slow Indian Wells is!
    http://heavytopspin.com/2013/11/19/the-speed-of-every-2013-surface/

Sharapova is back in action, played an exho with Ivanovic in Colombia. She lost in 3 sets, but it's looking good so far for a return in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Article that ranks the court speeds of all 2013 tournaments. How accurate this is is open to question, as it goes by purely the ratio of aces per court, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. Amazing just how slow Indian Wells is!
    http://heavytopspin.com/2013/11/19/the-speed-of-every-2013-surface/

Interesting article indeed.
    London courts are also way down the speed which backs up the belief that the Tour Final courts have been dramatically slowed down to suit Nadal.

Can't remember if it was posted in here at the time, but the WTA points distribution has been changed for 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_WTA_Tour#Points_distribution

Newer version makes more sense in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Andy wins Sports Personality of the Year :) Richly deserved :)

Advertisement