Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I remember it been in Asia before Istanbul got it and the crowds were awful for it and sparse crowds for such a competition really hurts it.

That'd be Doha. Yeah, it seemed more like a premier 470 than a YEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

No Tsonga at World Tour Finals :(:( His year really fell to pieces after the French Open.

Nor will we get Tsonga v Gasquet in front of a french crowd:(

Another French man out last night Paire left in a rather foul mood as well. I didn't watch the game, but from all accounts he just was not arsed, I can understand people's annoyance, however french crowds can be twats as well, as the French Open has proven over the years.

http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1513/tennis/article/detail/1731286/2013/10/29/Benoit-Paire-descend-le-public-d-abrutis-de-Bercy.dhtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

I love Tsonga but his mental strength is absolutely atrocious.

What a disastrous year since the French, wasn't long ago he was being tipped as the next slam winner outside the top 4

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

To be fair to Tsonga I think he would have qualified if he hadn't been injured. He came pretty close to it despite not playing for a good chunk of the summer, or playing injured.

He's my favourite player so I'm gutted he's not in London. My faves on both the men's and women's tours have been missing most of the second half of the year so it's been pretty uninteresting for me lately.

At least Delpo is doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I agree that Tsonga's mental strength is really rubbish, but to be honest it hasn't been his fault that he hasn't qualified for London. Had he not been injured for the whole summer, I'm fairy certain he would have qualified.

Gasquet is lucky that both Murray and Tsonga got injured in the latter half of the year, otherwise he wouldn't be in this position now, he wouldn't have even been close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd love Jo to see Jo win a slam, but I fear his time may have passed :( Also he's not getting any younger, he'll be 29 in April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

I'm not blaming him for not qualifying btw

He's been injured a good bit I had it taken for granted in August he wouldn't make it

Just a general comment though, he'll never win a slam, he's a better player than Ferrer tennis-wise but the Spaniard pissed all over him with his superb mental game in the French. Was a mismatch and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Federer beats Kevin Anderson 6-4 6-4 and books his place in London.:) Wawrinka and Gasquet should join him, bar Raonic does the unbelievable and reaches the Paris final. Never say never though!:pac:

RosyLily wrote: »
    Federer beats Kevin Anderson 6-4 6-4 and books his place in London.:)

Good. London would be worse off without him :)

This could well be his last year though.

I don't know what Fed's prospects for Slams are anymore but he's still one of the best 8 players in the world. He said himself he made a mistake this year of playing through an injury at some point over two or three tournaments. I think he'll qualify next year and I think he'll do it a lot sooner than he did it this year.

• Advertisement

I doubt it, I expect Federer to come back stronger next year.

I dunno, he's 32 now, and the courts being as slow as they are now... it'll be difficult.

Interesting news, Thomas Hogstedt is Wozniacki's new coach.

Interesting news, Thomas Hogstedt is Wozniacki's new coach.

That's a pretty good move from Woz. If she sticks with him, of course.

Obviously means Laura Robson's not getting him, or Sears.

Surprised that Hogstedt went with Wozniacki. Will Daddy Woz be backing off then? I really think Hoggy will be good for her; he was great with Sharapova.

Tour Finals players have been decided: Nadal, Djokovic, Ferrer, del Potro, Berdych, Federer, Wawrinka and Gasquet. I think Raonic and Haas will be the 2 alternates. Can't wait for the draw to be made!

It looks like this time he will be backing off, thank god.

Will be interesting to see what Hogstedt will do with Woz. One thing if for sure, he'll have to make her do something different. Bouncing the ball back and waiting for her opponent's error might have taken her far at a time when Serena & Maria were injured and Azarenka was still a headcase, but it won't take her anywhere anymore.

Hoggy's on court coaching was terrible though. He used to tell Maria every time "Keep doing what you're doing, she can't play like this forever, keep it up, she'll choke eventually." :)

Quite weird the way Paris has worked out, the entire WTF lineup have made the quarter-finals.

Quite weird the way Paris has worked out, the entire WTF lineup have made the quarter-finals.

Maybe they were warned... we won't have a repeat of last year! Or, maybe it's because there's still a few things to be gained this year. Year End #1 is still not definitely decided, or at least it wasn't the other day, although it's unlikely it won't be Nadal. Federer, Wawrinka and Gasquet were still trying to qualify for London. Given how bad everyone did last year there's an opportunity to gain quite a lot this week, unless you're Ferrer.

p.s. I'm really glad Stan qualified, he's had a great year and deserves it.

Federer has beaten Delpo in 3 sets! Looks like he has finally found some form... better late than never I guess :pac:

Also crazy fact, his win over Delpo was only his 2nd top 10 win of 2013 :eek:

Early days but crikey Gasquet is complete and utter cannon fodder against the elite players, he may not get a set next week in London if the draw goes against him.

• Advertisement

Agreed ^, Gasquet is a serial choker. Virtually every time he gets to the latter rounds of a tournament and meets one of the very top players he just rolls over. I don't know whether it's too much pressure or what, but he needs to fix it asap, if it isn't already too late.

In fairness, Rafa didn't exactly give him many opportunities to do much, but Gasquet was really only half there. Especially in the 2nd set, it was almost as if he thought 'well, now he's got the first set now I'm never going to beat him' and practically gave up. He needs more self-belief, I know it must be incredibly difficult when they have played 11 matches and Nadal has won every time but that shouldn't stop him! There's a first time for everything, Nadal and Djokovic aren't invincible, sometimes they look pretty damn close to it but, people beat them but they can't do it if they give up half way through the match!

I used to like Gasquet but I find it difficult to support him as he just doesn't seem to have the determination you need to challenge the very best. (Maybe he does but he rarely shows it). Imo his backhand is the single best shot in tennis right now, when he nails it it is incredible; but he can't back it up with consistency and solid determination.

As a side note, I really want a Federer v Nadal final on sunday, a really good one so I don't care who wins, it might be too much to ask for but I'll live in hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Fed and Djokovic squaring off is always entertaining.Reminded me of this today when I seen they're due to play:

Then I remembered that was nothing compared to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Agreed ^, Gasquet is a serial choker. Virtually every time he gets to the latter rounds of a tournament and meets one of the very top players he just rolls over. I don't know whether it's too much pressure or what, but he needs to fix it asap, if it isn't already too late.
    D

I just think that he's not at their level, and he will always really struggle to be competitive.

Looking forward to the Fed-Novak match and also the tour final in London which pots them in the same group.

Poor Delpo had his bag stolen in Paris. Was about to board the train when he was asked for an autograph, as he was signing it someone took his bag and disappeared. Had his passport, money and rosary beads the Pope gave him in it. Hope he can still get to London without his passport.

Poor Delpo had his bag stolen in Paris. Was about to board the train when he was asked for an autograph, as he was signing it someone took his bag and disappeared. Had his passport, money and rosary beads the Pope gave him in it. Hope he can still get to London without his passport.
    The bastards. Poor Delpo :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Tribb

An indoor title still eludes Nadal. This is why he can't be called the goat.

Tribb wrote: »
    An indoor title still eludes Nadal. This is why he can't be called the goat.

nobody will give a **** about his record in the Paris indoors competition when he retires, the fact that he has already won 13 Slams,, an Olympic gold medal, a record 26 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 competitions and a record 14 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments at the age of 27 has already cemented his iconic status.

Thanks Wiki!

I question everyone that loses in Paris when they've got WTFs the following week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Tribb

Rjd2 wrote: »
    nobody will give a **** about his record in the Paris indoors competition when he retires, the fact that he has already won 13 Slams,, an Olympic gold medal, a record 26 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 competitions and a record 14 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments at the age of 27 has already cemented his iconic status.

Thanks Wiki!

Its not paris indoors that matters, its indoors full stop. Yes he is an all time great. Top 5 for sure imo, but hasn't even won one WTF. All the greats win WTFs. His weeks as world number one lets him down too. Also the fact he's won all that at 27 doesn't make it much more impressive. By 27 most players have won nearly evertything they are going to win. But in his case I think he can win more notwithstanding injuries.

• Advertisement

Fcuk sake!!:mad: He's in London now anyway...posted a photo of himself getting ready for dinner on Facebook.

Groups have been decided for the Tour Finals. Group A: Rafa Nadal, David Ferrer, Tomas Berdych and Stan Wawrinka. Group B: Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro, Richard Gasquet and Novak Djokovic

Advertisement