Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what did i do today?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was building my Architecture Series Villa Savoye (the famous 1931 Le Corbusier house just outside Paris) and it's a real beaut.:)

I reckon it's the one of the best in the Architecture range. Now, when I can afford it I shall get Falling Water...

The base, as you can see, is actually quite a bit of a build.
    74462865_photo.jpg

Lower part of Villa Savoye complete...
    93072193_photo_(2).jpg

And finally the finished model. Nice eh?
    95187347_photo_(3).jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Derek93 wrote: »
    Its a mixed bag, parts wise its great pneumatics and motor and giant wheels ect, 2100 parts..but the steering is terrible and its turning circle is stupidly big, it can be motorised to move and steer fairly easily using a xl and either a m or servo motor. Couple of vids on youtube showing how to rc it fairly fast.

Some people love it some people hate it, read the brickset reviews will help. I got mine for E130 on amazon so it can drop in price now and again.
    With the shortcomings i hear about various lego sets i can't help but assume they want the end user to modify and make the set better. That being a central tenet of lego in the first place??
    Like the recent crane that apparently has only one motor. Stick some more in!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

JupiterKid, I have to admit, that architect sets are my most disliked sets. It's like lego decided to finally do something for AFOL and all they could think off is an architect abstract models... :(
    Damn, I would have more fun with "friends" sets then architect. I really wish lego would give more adult stuff, but god, let it be more fun then architect stuff. :)

Sorry again m8. You must be thinking I am a complete bastard now.

I was looking online with my son for ideas for him. I wanted to see some really cool ideas too!
    So i look for custom designs, yokes built over weeks and months as ordered parts come in etc. i have to say, some of the designs blew me away. There were lads on flikr that made mech robots that are simply stunning. Custom versions of Helms Deep that blow away the official version.

What i'm saying, ShadowHearth, is that maybe thats what you could try your hand at. The costs can, er, build up but after a while you'll have a load of parts from which to build with. Unless you want to keep your creations. That might get out of hand in a while!!

JupiterKid, I have to admit, that architect sets are my most disliked sets. It's like lego decided to finally do something for AFOL and all they could think off is an architect abstract models... :(
    Damn, I would have more fun with "friends" sets then architect. I really wish lego would give more adult stuff, but god, let it be more fun then architect stuff. :)

No offence taken.:)

You love the Technic sets so I can see why the Architecture sets wouldn't be to your taste. Each to their own. Since I have an interest in architecture I like them. Mind you, I do think some of the architecture sets are boring - like the Empire State Building and the like.

I bought the Super Heroes Lex Luther robot with Superman and Wonder Woman today. Well worth it just to get those minifigs.:D

1000947_6862_A_400.jpg

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    I was looking online with my son for ideas for him. I wanted to see some really cool ideas too!
    So i look for custom designs, yokes built over weeks and months as ordered parts come in etc. i have to say, some of the designs blew me away. There were lads on flikr that made mech robots that are simply stunning. Custom versions of Helms Deep that blow away the official version.

What i'm saying, ShadowHearth, is that maybe thats what you could try your hand at. The costs can, er, build up but after a while you'll have a load of parts from which to build with. Unless you want to keep your creations. That might get out of hand in a while!!

Trust me bud. I dont have a shortage of the Sets i LIKE. I have a shortage of the wallet. :o .

I finished reading Hobbit few days ago and watched Hobbit movie. I am Crazy about Lotr Lego now. I want to Collect all Lotr sets, before new ones Kick in. I still need Gandolf Arrives, Urakai army and Wheather top. I Really dislike the Orc Forge. I might skip on it or get when it is dirt cheap. I will start Building all of them when i got those sets that i miss. Misses will get involved too! :p
    After i got that sorted, ill be getting all the Hobbit sets. I have to say i like them a lot more after reading a book and watching the movie. The goblin King now looks like a very nice set! No regrets there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm the same. I think for a line that's about architecture, the sets are an incredibly poor approximation of the buildings they're supposed to represent. The scale used - especially on the larger buildings - misses not just the fine details, but the broad elements that make them classics of design. I feel that it was a line that concocted to hook the collectors who are completionists. Do like the Space needle though.

Picked up that Lex power suit in tesco for 6 euro. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Picked up that Lex power suit in tesco for 6 euro. Love it.

:eek:

Wow. Speechless. That is some bargain. I'm going to run to my local Tesco after work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

:eek:

Wow. Speechless. That is some bargain. I'm going to run to my local Tesco after work!

Sorry, should have said that was back in October. They had some ridiculous bargains at the time.

Sorry, should have said that was back in October. They had some ridiculous bargains at the time.

Are you really certain it was only €6? I feel a bit bad now for paying €25 for this set in Smyths yesterday. :(.

Still, it's a great set - great for the Superman and WW minifigs but also Lex's robot is a cool build and very playable as well. :)

• Advertisement

Helms deep is 92eu again. I almost would love to get one more ! :D

I wonder how much could you get for mimnifigs? I would not mind keeping the keep and combining both to make proper size helms deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

You'd maybe get between 30 to 40 euro for them all. So a second keep would end up costing maybe 60 euro if you can sell all the figs

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Are there many folk here from Cork? I know ShadowHearth is, and I'm sure syboit and a couple of others are. Anyway, if there are a few of you guys here, I just wanted to give you a heads up about a photographic exhibition which is currently being hosted in the Vision Centre (North Main Street) put together by the Cork Camera Group. I have a couple of images hanging there and, without giving anything away, they might be considered relevant to our hobby :)

Hmmm lads. In my local Heatons they have 3 police station 3 in 1 damaged/missing parts sets. I would love to try get those for a good discount even if some parts missing. I asked about it few weeks ago and they could not do a thing with them until head office will say anything... Spot all sits there and rots... Any idea how could get them to sell those to me? Surely selling them for some price would be good for them instead of just throw it in to basement and let it rot?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

what price is on the 3/1 sets shadow?

Derek93 wrote: »
    what price is on the 3/1 sets shadow?

They are not selling that set anymore. It is already sitting under that desk since pre xmas. It must have been damaged by someone and now they dont care about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Got http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6867-1 for my 5yr old. Yet to be built though.

So lets get back on track lads!

I got my presents delivered and i got another small set on saturday. There are no technic sets out and i am still working on my Lotr collection. So i got in to Town/Creator stuff. Will try yo build up a collection for my own Team model stuff. :)

So here what i did lately!

DSC_1247_zpsff913da1.jpg

Really Love the 60007 Set. Both cars are just plain awesome. Great selection of parts too. I am seriously thinking of getting second one as they go only for 17eu on amazon. Bargain!

DSC_1249_zpsa9a14973.jpg

DSC_1254_zps8ccd2fab.jpg

Highway speedster is very cool too! So many cool parts and the thing it self looks amazing. I already built one and second one is going in to the point right now!

DSC_1250_zpsdd52fef1.jpg

DSC_1251_zps0d7b4570.jpg

The Flatbed truck is so so... There are good few parts that i wanted from it, but the set it self is meh. I really dont like colours of it. Cant even use them elsewhere. Lego really needs to bring more White/red/black cars/trucks. Too many weird colours at the moment. :(

I have not built a single Lotr set yet. I want to complete my Collection first. Its sort of a shame to take it out of box... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ShadowHearth you seem to have an absolute monster load of lego. Where to you keep it all? Or do you build it and then pass it on?

ShadowHearth you seem to have an absolute monster load of lego. Where to you keep it all? Or do you build it and then pass it on?

I honestly dont have that much of lego. Other lads here have WAAAAAAY more Lego then I do.
    Lucky for me, we rent a big house. So I got a Room just for myself. My little man cave. So I dont realyl have problems with space yet, but i do thinking of moving to a bigger empty room as it starts to get a bit tight here. :) . Thats all i own plus another Highway speedster in a box, not in a pic. Plus 600 loose technic parts and a few XL motors.

DSC_1256_zpsfc69c525.jpg

DSC_1258_zpsa0554d7c.jpg

DSC_1257_zps47b4c01a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Holy crap lads where are you guys getting the money to spend on bloody lego yee must have no bills to pay im just jelous though id love to get back into lego havent played with it since i was about 8 or 9 can i ask when you build a set do you just leave it on a shelf or do you take them apart and do them again just that it seems expensive to just build and leave to gather dust shadowhearth you have got some collection for someone who just started at xmas i think you might be addicted lol how old are you guys on here if you dont mind me asking keep up the good work guys!!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Holy crap lads where are you guys getting the money to spend on bloody lego yee must have no bills to pay im just jelous though id love to get back into lego havent played with it since i was about 8 or 9 can i ask when you build a set do you just leave it on a shelf or do you take them apart and do them again just that it seems expensive to just build and leave to gather dust shadowhearth you have got some collection for someone who just started at xmas i think you might be addicted lol how old are you guys on here if you dont mind me asking keep up the good work guys!!

Cheers m8. Most of the stuff is bought on sales only. I usually spend money on games and PC upgrades, but I don't do that much anymore as I only buy games that I really really want and the rest on sales for 1/4 of the price. My PC is powerfull enough to run any game too so at this stage buying new components is only for making my epenis bigger. :)
    Technic sets are built for now. Lotr will stay in boxes like that until I get a full line. As for the town and creator stuff, it is all taken apart last night after pictures and put in to box. Those parts are purely for building mocs now!
    On boards.ie most of us are mature fellas. I am 26, but there are older lads here. All forums of lego are almost full of mature people. Kids like just to play with lego, we like to make flame wars on Internet on which set is better! :D

P.s. I got bills like anyone else. For example we just payed 300eu electricity bill and 400eu on tax for 3 months. Plus other spending.
    The reason I could get some extra lego, because I don't smoke, don't drink, don't go out often. So my money goes on need stuff.
    Oh yeah, having no kids helps too I guess! :D

P.s. I got bills like anyone else. For example we just payed 300eu electricity bill and 400eu on tax for 3 months. Plus other spending.
    The reason I could get some extra lego, because I don't smoke, don't drink, don't go out often. So my money goes on need stuff.
    Oh yeah, having no kids helps too I guess! :D

Fair play can i ask with the technics sets do motors come with them also is amazon the cheapest place to get them i was looking at the death star last night that looks really cool id love that and the millenium falcon i know your not into the star wars lego but i used to love it as a kid i think you get 20 odd figures with the death star too those little fellas are so cool anyway looking forward to seeing you guys expanding your collections ill just stay on the sideline for now lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

smiths currently have the DS for 340 in shop, or online, its not a bad price really, not going to look around the sites now looking for better, but 320 sterling. on amazon, wonder how much more life is in that set? its been going for years now

Includes 24 minifigures and droids, plus all-new Dianoga trash compactor monster!
    Includes 6 new and exclusive minifigures and droids only found in this set : Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper outfit), Han Solo (Stormtrooper outfit), Assassin Droid, Interrogation Droid, Death Star Droid and 2 Death Star Troopers!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Fair play can i ask with the technics sets do motors come with them also is amazon the cheapest place to get them i was looking at the death star last night that looks really cool id love that and the millenium falcon i know your not into the star wars lego but i used to love it as a kid i think you get 20 odd figures with the death star too those little fellas are so cool anyway looking forward to seeing you guys expanding your collections ill just stay on the sideline for now lol!!

Usually Motors only come with the more expensive sets, usually €100+. Other sets are compatible with motors but you need to buy the motor separately, you can get the motor packs in stores of buy the motors themselves from Lego.

Amazon is usually the cheapest, this site tracks prices on all European amazon sites http://www.brickset.com/buy/amazon/. Amazon.co.uk give free shipping on orders over £25, which will cover most of the bigger kits.

Generally if you can get 25% off it's a pretty good price. Prices fluctuate wildly on Amazon so you never really have to pay full price, especially if it's a new kit just wait until the price drops.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    smiths currently have the DS for 340 in shop, or online, its not a bad price really, not going to look around the sites now looking for better, but 320 sterling. on amazon, wonder how much more life is in that set? its been going for years now

Includes 24 minifigures and droids, plus all-new Dianoga trash compactor monster!
    Includes 6 new and exclusive minifigures and droids only found in this set : Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper outfit), Han Solo (Stormtrooper outfit), Assassin Droid, Interrogation Droid, Death Star Droid and 2 Death Star Troopers!
    Amazon.es have it for ~€305, delivered to your door for ~€320

38 years old myself. Have 3 kids, the oldest loves lego so i have an excuse to buy the odd few bits off ebay. Recently got some tracks and wheels for them. Young lad made a jeep and i made the track kit for it. Much lols!
    Shadowhearth, your 4x4 would look great with a track conversion!

I have a load of bills too but i do have to keep a few things going to the kids or they'll dump me in a home when i need help wiping me hole!!
    I dont buy any sets for myself either, much as i'd love to. I really want to get the mindstorms and branch into that field. Herself was quite clear she wasn't getting me lego for christmas so i'll have to "get it for the young lad"

Hehe.

shedweller wrote: »
    38 years old myself. Have 3 kids, the oldest loves lego so i have an excuse to buy the odd few bits off ebay. Recently got some tracks and wheels for them. Young lad made a jeep and i made the track kit for it. Much lols!
    Shadowhearth, your 4x4 would look great with a track conversion!

I have a load of bills too but i do have to keep a few things going to the kids or they'll dump me in a home when i need help wiping me hole!!
    I dont buy any sets for myself either, much as i'd love to. I really want to get the mindstorms and branch into that field. Herself was quite clear she wasn't getting me lego for christmas so i'll have to "get it for the young lad"

Hehe.
    You can always find ways on how to use your kids! :D excuse to buy Lego is one of them. Luckily for me, misses does not mind me buying Lego as long as I don't go over board. I am walking a fine line lately though. :)
    She does sees this as a thing that makes me happy and in the way it is not wasted money. Lego keeps it price quite well so if I need I can sell it on with minimal losses. Or at very least I can get half back what I spent on it.

I have to admit I had to restrain myself today. I almost bough urakai army few hours ago! Damn you Amazon!

• Advertisement

25% off lego city vehicles in smyths if anyone is interested

Advertisement