Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Whilst it should be highlighted that it was a non contact session, Drico and RK took full part in the Ireland team session in Kildare today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

GerM wrote: »
    Whilst it should be highlighted that it was a non contact session, Drico and RK took full part in the Ireland team session in Kildare today.

Drico's being an ankle injury you'd think that just being up and running/sprinting/turning/etc. on it would be half the battle. I'd say it's not far from that to contact.

Kearney can't come back quick enough, missed him desperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

Read somewhere that an IRL U20s take on an Ulster development team tomorrow in Old Belvedere. Can't find where I saw it but I think ko is 3.30.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Ireland desperately needs Kearney and O'Driscoll back to be honest. Such a huge void in our back line that hasn't come close to being filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Higher wrote: »
    Ireland desperately needs Kearney and O'Driscoll back to be honest. Such a huge void in our back line that hasn't come close to being filled.

To an extent have to disagree with this, no doubt that any team will miss some of their top players but our backline play against Argentina was excellent an the fresh new faces(Gilroy and Zebo) played a big part in that. Our problem with the backline is we need a new backs coach and the return of BOD and Kearney isn't the solution to our problem(although having them back wouldn't exactly be a bad thing :pac: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Our problem with the backline is we need a new backs coach

Leinster have the best backs coach in the world already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

leftleg wrote: »

But Ireland don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Higher wrote: »

Kearney I wholeheartedly agree with, Drico, not so much, nor Darcy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

leftleg wrote: »

I agree, there is however a massive difference in the standard of performance between the Leinster and Ireland backlines (Argie game aside) which I think enhances my point that Ireland need a new one as our potential is shown by Leinster (and also the other provinces)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Deano7788 wrote: »
    But Ireland don't.

agreed my bad was thinking of leinster there not Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

phog wrote: »
    Read somewhere that an IRL U20s take on an Ulster development team tomorrow in Old Belvedere. Can't find where I saw it but I think ko is 3.30.
    12.30 kick-off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Zyzz wrote: »
    Kearney I wholeheartedly agree with, Drico, not so much, nor Darcy..

I would agree with this. No need to state how important BOD has been for us over the past decade, but fact is he wont be around possibly even next year. To be honest I wouldn't even have him in the 6 nations squad. Short term gain. We need to develop his successor now, not when he retires.

And by that I mean give Cave a shot in there too (wont happen with Kidney though)

Another thing, would BOD still be playing for Ireland if there wasn't a Lions tour in the summer? Doubtful imo.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I would agree with this. No need to state how important BOD has been for us over the past decade, but fact is he wont be around possibly even next year. To be honest I wouldn't even have him in the 6 nations squad. Short term gain. We need to develop his successor now, not when he retires.

And by that I mean give Cave a shot in there too (wont happen with Kidney though)

Another thing, would BOD still be playing for Ireland if there wasn't a Lions tour in the summer? Doubtful imo.

As George Hook once said, "The Irish rugby team is selected by way of the 'best' players, not the best players for the job"

Perfect example is Darcy..he has been Irelands 'best' 12 for many years, but now it is time to move on and give Marshall etc more game time so we aren't f*cked when Darcy and the like get injured and we are stuck with an above average player filling in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Zyzz wrote: »

As George Hook once said, "The Irish rugby team is selected by way of the 'best' players, not the best players for the job"

Perfect example is Darcy..he has been Irelands 'best' 12 for many years, but now it is time to move on and give Cave/Marshall etc more game time so we aren't f*cked when Darcy and the like get injured and we are stuck with an above average player filling in

I'm open to correction on this but Cave isn't really a 12 is he?

its_phil wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but Cave isn't really a 12 is he?

Edited my post, but you get where Im coming from..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Marmion and Henshaw continue their excellent vein of form they cannot be ignored. Henshaw in particular is making a mockery of Hurley's selction against Fiji (not meant as a slight on Hurley!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I bigged up Henshaw on Talking Rugby before the AIs. My Nostradamus qualities tell me he'll be massive for Ireland. Absolutely cracking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If Marmion and Henshaw continue their excellent vein of form they cannot be ignored. Henshaw in particular is making a mockery of Hurley's selction against Fiji (not meant as a slight on Hurley!).

Bearing in mind Connacht's injury crisis, it would have been a mockery of Connacht if those two were pulled to play in a meaningless game against Fiji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

jm08 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind Connacht's injury crisis, it would have been a mockery of Connacht if those two were pulled to play in a meaningless game against Fiji.

That should have been beside the point. Ireland is the bigger picture, and while I have great time for Hurley we would have learned a lot more playing Henshaw

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    That should have been beside the point. Ireland is the bigger picture, and while I have great time for Hurley we would have learned a lot more playing Henshaw

Learn what? Most Rabo games are more challenging than that Fiji game was.

Hurley was there as the older head in a very young set of backs from 10 out. Henshaw hadn't played a huge number of games up to November for Connacht (and some of his starts were at 13, not fullback).

• Advertisement

Do you genuinely believe that is the reason they didn't play?

Do you genuinely believe that is the reason they didn't play?

No. I'd say there is a bit of a Q to give everyone a go. The squads were selected 3 months ago when Henshaw had played a couple of games for Connacht. what was the point of throwing him into a game where Ireland was already trying to develop some back-up for (Zebo). It also highly unlikely that he will manage to displace Rob Kearney as fullback and perhaps it would be much better for him to be involved with the Ireland U20s this 6Ns rather than holding tackle bags for the seniors.

He would also probably be better off going to the Junior World Cup than going on tour to Canada & USA (2 games), so don't be surprised if Dinny gets another outing there on that tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

No. I'd say there is a bit of a Q to give everyone a go. The squads were selected 3 months ago when Henshaw had played a couple of games for Connacht. what was the point of throwing him into a game where Ireland was already trying to develop some back-up for (Zebo). It also highly unlikely that he will manage to displace Rob Kearney as fullback and perhaps it would be much better for him to be involved with the Ireland U20s this 6Ns rather than holding tackle bags for the seniors.

He would also probably be better off going to the Junior World Cup than going on tour to Canada & USA (2 games), so don't be surprised if Dinny gets another outing there on that tour.

This is thgr real benefit of Eric giving youth be chance,

JJ was beside marmion at the last u 20 WC/, look how much marmion has developed since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

gally74 wrote: »
    JJ was beside marmion at the last u 20 WC/, look how much marmion has developed since

It's remarkable how far he has come. When he first appeared for the U20 side he was roundly criticised and many thought Connacht were mad to sign him. He has been a revelation and should be going to north America next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

If BOD is back I hope Marshall gets selected alongside him at 12. Hugely impressed by him in recent weeks. One poor tackle on POM aside last night his defence was very strong and he offers a lovely attacking threat that would dovetail nicely with Sexton IMO. With Bowe out it would free up Earls to give us more options on the wing. I don't think Wallace being selected ahead of Marshall for Ulster is a big reflection on Marshall, rather that Jackson needs an experienced 12 alongside him and Wallace is normally excellent for Ulster anyway. I don't think it has a chance of happening unless BOD is back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hype710 wrote: »
    If BOD is back I hope Marshall gets selected alongside him at 12. Hugely impressed by him in recent weeks. One poor tackle on POM aside last night his defence was very strong and he offers a lovely attacking threat that would dovetail nicely with Sexton IMO. With Bowe out it would free up Earls to give us more options on the wing. I don't think Wallace being selected ahead of Marshall for Ulster is a big reflection on Marshall, rather that Jackson needs an experienced 12 alongside him and Wallace is normally excellent for Ulster anyway. I don't think it has a chance of happening unless BOD is back though.

To tell you the truth I don't think it has a chance of happening even with BOD back. If he's not starting for Ulster in the big games there's no way Kidney will select him, much as I would like to see him get a few games. It would be extremely unlikely even if he was ahead of Wallace.

Besides, imo, if any young 12 is given a chance it should be McSharry, who fully deserves the chance after his excellent form this season.

Who would you pick now? Hurley or Henshaw? If you had to select between the two.

I'm not arguing for Henshaw to displace Kearney mind. But if Kearney was hurt I know who I would pick if Zebo had to play on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think that after the last two weeks Luke Marshall has every chance of getting the Ulster 12 shirt for the upcoming HEC games, if that happens then I think he'll be a genuine contender, he definitely got the better of D'Arcy last week, but if he doesn't start for Ulster he won't start for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

Who would you pick now? Hurley or Henshaw? If you had to select between the two.

I'm not arguing for Henshaw to displace Kearney mind. But if Kearney was hurt I know who I would pick if Zebo had to play on the wing.

Would Duffy get his place back for Connacht if he was back from injury

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Would Duffy get his place back for Connacht if he was back from injury

When he was back fit a few weeks ago he was stuck on the wing with Henshaw remaining at fullback. To me that's a sign that Duffy won't get his place back. IMO Henshaw is a better option at the moment than him, even though I have massive time for Duffy as a 15.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement