Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

awec wrote: »
    I don't think it would be, I think Earls is a very average centre

Since he went pro there's at least 4 coaches would disagree with you on that. He may or may not be what Joe/Ireland want right now but he's a lot better than average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

phog wrote: »
    Since he went pro there's at least 4 coaches would disagree with you on that. He may or may not be what Joe/Ireland want right now but he's a lot better than average.

at international level he's an average centre

He's decent there for munster but he's far better on the wing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

A lot of people on UAFC giving Dan Tuohy Motm against Montpellier yesterday. He was very good against Leicester and had a massive game in a big victory away to Ospreys the week before. Probably the form lock in the country. Hopefully Schmidt involves him in the squad for the AI's, he's a really talented player if a bit prone to going missing in some games. Worth bearing in mind that he's only a year older than Toner though.

squad is named early this week according to IRFU

Wouldn't expect many surprises

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

phog wrote: »

Munster can play him there all they want.

He's an average centre when it comes to international rugby and should not play there for Ireland in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Im just picturin what would happen on here if Schmidt chose D'Arcy over Marshall. O_O

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Im just picturin what would happen on here if Schmidt chose D'Arcy over Marshall. O_O

I don't think he will. Marshall is a better player at this stage even though Darcy isn't playing badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Munster can play him there all they want.

He's an average centre when it comes to international rugby and should not play there for Ireland in my opinion.

An average international centre is still better than any of our other options who are average at Rabo/HEC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I don't think he will. Marshall is a better player at this stage even though Darcy isn't playing badly

I doubt he would either. D'Arcy and Marshall play quite similar games (other than the fact that I would say Marshall's handling form is currently superior) anyway so I can't see any tactical reason for picking D'Arcy over him.

An average international centre is still better than any of our other options who are average at Rabo/HEC level.

I'd prefer to see Cave playing at 13 ahead of Earls

I wouldn't be upset to see Earls lineout there but you'd need to have Marshall at 12 because Earl's distribution isn't good enough at that level in that position

• Advertisement

Certainly not, I'd definitely have Cave ahead of Earls, someone who is a better centre than him at all levels.

Earls has a tendency to put the blinkers on too much - to just tuck the ball up in and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I wonder with Zebo's injury whether we'll see D Kearney involved somewhere in the squad. Thought he was very good v Castres and has been consistently good this season. Made an excellent try saving tackle and two big runs in the build up to the crucial try. His bro was hit and miss but Dave looked sharp, he's also looking a fair bit quicker than Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Certainly not, I'd definitely have Cave ahead of Earls, someone who is a better centre than him at all levels.

Earls has a tendency to put the blinkers on too much - to just tuck the ball up in and run.

I guess that explains Zebo being so poor over the last two seasons with Earls inside him.

I guess that explains Zebo being so poor over the last two seasons with Earls inside him.

Oh jesus, this old nugget

Earls simply isn't a good enough distributer to make it as a top level 13. He's a brilliant winger and playing there suits his game far more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Possibly, but I think thats a bit harsh on Zebo. Maybe in the 6N we will have a chance to see him with a good pair of centres inside him and he will have a better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think you're being harsh on Zebo there. I thought he's had a reasonably impressive two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Darren Cave didn't make the 42 man squad, I don't think he's in the running, and I agree with that. IMO Marshall should start at 12 - that therefore means that Schmidt has to decide whether to go with a young up-and-coming centre with an eye to the future, or go with an old reliable like Darcy. I think Ireland has been too slow in recent years to promote youth. As an example, Brodie Retallick is 22, Sam Cane is 21, Steven Luatua is 22, Charles Piutau is 21. If you're good enough, you're old enough, and Steve Hansen has had no hesitation in skipping a generation over solid journeymen and plumping for talented youth. I think Schmidt should do the same. Why not select one of Henshaw or Macken in the squad for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Darren Cave didn't make the 42 man squad, I don't think he's in the running, and I agree with that. IMO Marshall should start at 12 - that therefore means that Schmidt has to decide whether to go with a young up-and-coming centre with an eye to the future, or go with an old reliable like Darcy. I think Ireland has been too slow in recent years to promote youth. As an example, Brodie Retallick is 22, Sam Cane is 21, Steven Luatua is 22, Charles Piutau is 21. If you're good enough, you're old enough, and Steve Hansen has had no hesitation in skipping a generation over solid journeymen and plumping for talented youth. I think Schmidt should do the same. Why not select one of Henshaw or Macken in the squad for example?

Henderson would be the one I'd look at. He's obviously a nailed on Irish starter for the rest of his career, why not throw him in now?

POC and Hendo is a serious second row.

Marmion would be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Henderson would be the one I'd look at. He's obviously a nailed on Irish starter for the rest of his career, why not throw him in now?

POC and Hendo is a serious second row.

Marmion would be another.

It's very frustrating that he's not starting for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

For me the D'Arcy/Marshall combination is the best option.

After that, Earls/Cave are the next two in line for me, depending on which game you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but Zebo's best season by a long shot was with Earls at 13 when he scored 12 tries including a couple of hatricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

danthefan wrote: »
    It's very frustrating that he's not starting for Ulster.

Most Ulster fans would agree with this, albeit Diack and particularly Tuohy played very well yesterday.

He should still bench for Ireland though, but actually if he had started the last two games in the row he could easily have been in the running to start in the Autumn.

That said I did read a nasty little rumour that he broke a toe yesterday so we'll see how that plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Swiwi. wrote: »

To be fair last season Jackson (21), Marshall (22), Gilroy (21), Henderson (21), Olding (20), Henshaw (19) all made their Ireland debuts. Kilcoyne also made his debut, not sure what age he is but he can't be more than 22 or 23 I wouldn't have thought.

In recent years O'Mahony, Murray and Zebo all made their debuts at the age of 22/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think we should go in with:
    Healy
    Best
    Ross
    POC
    Toner
    O Mahony
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Marshall/Darcy
    BOD/Marshall
    Bowe
    Kearney

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Healy
    Best
    Ross
    POC
    Toner
    O Mahony
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Marshall/Darcy
    BOD/Marshall
    Bowe
    Kearney

The rules currently do not allow 4 centres.

Almaviva wrote: »
    The rules currently do not allow 4 centres.

I'm sure it doesn't allow one player to play twice either but I'm hoping refs won't pick that up either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Healy
    Best
    Ross
    POC
    Toner
    O Mahony
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Marshall/Darcy
    BOD/Marshall
    Bowe
    Kearney

Yeah it'll be something very close to that.

Really, with Zebo out, Strauss out and Ferris out, the only questions are over 5 and 12. O''Mahony ended any debate about McLaughlin on Saturday.

Ferris

Crikey yeh. Remember Ferris ?

Whats his situation ?

Almaviva wrote: »
    Crikey yeh. Remember Ferris ?

Whats his situation ?

Hopefully back playing December / January.

Whether he's actually in contention for 6N is another thing altogether, I suspect it'll take him a while to get back up to speed, and then you have to wonder if he will actually get back to what he was.

• Advertisement

Hopefully back playing December / January.

Whether he's actually in contention for 6N is another thing altogether, I suspect it'll take him a while to get back up to speed, and then you have to wonder if he will actually get back to what he was.

Is he still with Ulster or is he in Japan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement