Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Earls is a better 13 than McFadden, has played there more recently as far as I know. I would prefer to see Earls at full-back, but I wouldn't particularly like to see McFadden there.

Cave would be my preference, generally pretty solid defensively and is an intelligent footballer.

I doubt that Schmidt will go for Olding/Marshall in the centre, considering it's never happened for Ulster yet.

Maybe, but is there an equivalent of Ross playing 13 somewhere? I dunno if there is?

Also Earls has been a considerably better 13 at international level than Buckley has a Tighthead.

Maybe?

No - it is.

Using the logic given above to put Earls at 13 is the same as suggesting Buckley over Ross as he has had minutes there.

The logic is flawed.

If Earls is a better 13 and in better form than other options, then that logic can support his selection. Focus on that if you wish.

I think the main point for Earls being at 13 is that he is better than most of his competitors, bar maybe Cave. And it's not like Cave has set the world alight recently.

Macken isn't at international standard yet, Griffin's been hindered by injuries, Olding hasn't played there much, McFadden has always been limited... I doubt we're going to call up Sheridan. Then there's D'Arcy, who I suppose is an option.

D'Arcy V Cave V Earls... wouldn't say there's much in that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe?

No - it is.

Using the logic given above to put Earls at 13 is the same as suggesting Buckley over Ross as he has had minutes there.

The logic is flawed.

If Earls is a better 13 and in better form than other options, then that logic can support his selection. Focus on that if you wish.

Sure, but I'm wondering who is Ross in the equivalent?

Ross was demanding selection through his performances for Leinster at the time. That was the problem with Buckley's selection. Same with Leamy/SOB. Who is the SOB or Ross at the moment? Cave hasn't been great... Henshaw maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Darce and Marshall in the centre is far more of an option than people are acknowledging, I think. Marshall has already played 13 this season and done well. Himself and Darce could swap as required throughout.

• Advertisement

Forgot about Henshaw, could be a good shout actually.

Buer wrote: »
    Darce and Marshall in the centre is far more of an option than people are acknowledging, I think. Marshall has already played 13 this season and done well. Himself and Darce could swap as required throughout.

Good shout! I'd love to see that. Stick it on a postcard and sent it to Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Probably Earls.

With Zebo out he will likely be on the wing.

I'd give both McFadden and Cave a run at 13. Cave in particular has never had a go with a full strength team around him, save for 6 mins at the end of a game with NZ so while I'm not sure he is the answer I would like him to get one more go.

The likely answer though is McFadden with Earls on the wing.

Actually against Samoa if Joe wants to give Sexton a rest playing McFadden woul then give him room to play Jackson in case he needed a back up kicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Why do so many people hate Earls? You'd think that BOD has been setting the world alight since 09 when you see the outrage of Earls being suggested as a possible 13. In reality, there has been no large difference between their standards of play in an Irish 13 jersey since the grandslam year.

Earls may be a better winger than centre, but that doesn't stop him from also being our second best 13.

Why do so many people hate Earls? You'd think that BOD has been setting the world alight since 09 when you see the outrage of Earls being suggested as a possible 13. In reality, there has been no large difference between their standards of play in an Irish 13 jersey since the grandslam year.

Earls may be a better winger than centre, but that doesn't stop him from also being our second best 13.

Insert Mrs. Lovejoy pic

Probably 90% of rational posters want him starting on the wing.

Hardly hatred

• Advertisement

I would much, much prefer Earls at 13 and McFadden at 14 than the other way around. But I wouldn't really like to see either combination really.

Insert Mrs. Lovejoy pic

Probably 90% of rational posters want him starting on the wing.

Hardly hatred

The hate only pops up when he is mentioned as a 13. Any objective analysis of what he brings to the role is immediately thrown out the window and less talented players are always suggested as alternatives.

89% so

McFadden won't be at 13 or 14 for Ireland this AI's

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a difference between hating a player and not rating him in a certain position!

I think he's our second best 13, but you'd hope in the first few years that someone else will come through as Earls is better on the wing. Then again with Laulala leaving Munster at the end of the season (most likely) Earls could be back at 13 next year at provincial level.

The hate only pops up when he is mentioned as a 13. Any objective analysis of what he brings to the role is immediately thrown out the window and less talented players are always suggested as alternatives.

No you're right. We all hate Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I'm surprised that nobody is mentioning Henshaw as a potential 13, obviously he is still quite raw in some aspects of his game but I don't see any problem with giving him experience at that level with the bigger names around him. Plus he is actually playing in the position regularly this season, other than that I'd prefer to see Cave.
    I like Earls but at an international level I think he's much better suited on the wing.

No you're right. We all hate Earls.

Its the only explanation. Thanks for speaking on behalf of the rest of your province.
    There's a difference between hating a player and not rating refusing to rate him in a certain position!.

Fixed that for you. The second Earls is mentioned, much of this forum suddenly appears to parrot George Hook with no sense of irony.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    Schmidt isn't stupid.
    Earls isn't an international 13, his best traits are as a winger and these traits actually hinder him as a centre.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    Schmidt isn't stupid.
    Earls isn't an international 13, his best traits are as a winger and these traits actually hinder him as a centre.

What international matches has he shown himself not to be an international centre? It was hardly the 6N two years ago when he was one of our best backs.

Would you play Lualala at 13 for Ireland in the AIs if he was IQ?

Ah we'll do a bit of history re-writing while we're at it too so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

McFadden at 13 would make me weep tbh

I'd like to see Marshall there, then Cave

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Earls should stick that what he's good at and that's playing on the wing, it's not like we have no other 13's there Cave, Macken, Henshaw, McFadden, Darcy (if needs be) and Olding?

The safe option IMO would be Cave but I would like to see Olding given a shot at the 13 Jersey if BOD is unavailable. Another option for the Samoa game would be Darcy/Olding or Madigan at 12 and Marshall at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As unpalatable as it appears to be to some here, Earls has not done badly overall when he has played 13 for Ireland. He has a couple of very good games there (2012 6N) and some poor games (NZ and the RWC warm ups). He's just better on the wing. If he starts at 13 and McFadden on the wing, whilst it wouldn't be my preference, it would be a completely understandable call. People shouldn't fool themselves that Schmidt is some messiah that represents their opinion; Keith Earls at 13 will 100% be contemplated.

Buer wrote: »
    As unpalatable as it appears to be to some here, Earls has not done badly overall when he has played 13 for Ireland. He has a couple of very good games there (2012 6N) and some poor games (NZ and the RWC warm ups). He's just better on the wing. If he starts at 13 and McFadden on the wing, whilst it wouldn't be my preference, it would be a completely understandable call. People shouldn't fool themselves that Schmidt is some messiah that represents their opinion; Keith Earls at 13 will 100% be contemplated.

Of course it will but the team is stronger with Earls on the wing and given that he has not played 13 at all these season I can't see Joe opting for him to cover the Samoa game. Like I said above, Marshall at 13 and say Darcy at 12 and Earls on the wing is far stronger than Earls at 13 and McFadden on the wing vice versa

Kayless wrote: »
    Of course it will but the team is stronger with Earls on the wing and given that he has not played 13 at all these season I can't see Joe opting for him to cover the Samoa game. Like I said above, Marshall at 13 and say Darcy at 12 and Earls on the wing is far stronger than Earls at 13 and McFadden on the wing vice versa

Earls has started one game at 13, and filled in there in another 2 games this season. Just last week against Edinburgh, he was playing 13 for a good 20mins.

Earls has started one game at 13, and filled in there in another 2 games this season. Just last week against Edinburgh, he was playing 13 for a good 20mins.

Winning combination that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭phog

Would you play Lualala at 13 for Ireland in the AIs if he was IQ?

Ah we'll do a bit of history re-writing while we're at it too so.

Would Jimmy Gopperth get a spot in the AIs if he was IQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Kayless wrote: »
    Archer yes but Fitzpatrick seems to be very injury prone, did he play for Ulster on Friday? No word on Ross yet but hopefully not

How did that work out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Earls is one of those players that polarises opinion.
    Only a fortnight ago posters were saying that he might! get the 23 jersey, that Fitz may get in ahead of him etc.
    Now it's play him on the wing where he excels, so he must be doing something right to make a believer out of some people......maybe another month & they''ll be screaming for him to start at 13
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Earls is one of those players that polarises opinion.
    Only a fortnight ago posters were saying that he might! get the 23 jersey, that Fitz may get in ahead of him etc.
    Now it's play him on the wing where he excels, so he must be doing something right to make a believer out of some people......maybe another month & they''ll be screaming for him to start at 13
    :P
    No month is that loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.....:D

The question really is about BOD's ability to a) recover his fitness and b) to then prove that he is fully match fit. There is no room for sentiment unless he is up to scratch. I have to say that it would be an early Christmas present if he does. Let's wait until he's out before writing his obituary and naming his successor. BTW, Cave had a great game today. I really think that Earls is a fine player who is a great winger and a fairly average 13 BUT...he does have the pace to be a good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement