Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know any Irish Jews?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The first Jew in politics in Ireland was the elected Mayor of Youghal in Cork in 1555.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Annyas
    I'd say that was rare enough anywhere in the rest of Europe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I know a few, not fond of buying a round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

For interest: James Connolly's 1902 Yiddish election leaflet http://comeheretome.com/2010/03/01/james-connolly-yiddish-election-leaflet-1902/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Lets clear one thing up. Judaism isnt a race.

You cant identify a jew from a blood test.

Anyone can convert at any time they want and once they do they'll be jewish.

Basically they've been persecuted for so many thousands of years that they're learned to stick to themselves hence the confusion about race.

Let's clear another thing up then. The anti-semitic movement in Germany , France and elsewhere clearly stated that Jews constituted a race within a race; something which could not be tolerated. And I'm talking about the 19th century writings of George von Schoenerer , Adolf Stoecker , Eugene Duehring and Edouard Drumont. If you think that anyone writing, " What the Jew believes is neither here or there: In the Race lies the Swinishness " , is concerned with whether JC was the Messiah or not then you are very naive .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SO to recap... No, you cant identify jews from a blood test.
    Well you can to some degree, unless you want to get really pedantic. IE if you have someone with deep genetic European history with the addition of deeper middle eastern markers and slightly narrower more related lines, a guess that they were Jewish wouldn't be that much of a stretch.
    Geographical markers have no connection to religious belief.
    Not with individuals, but with some populations they can have. EG someone with Japanese ancestry and location is far more likely to be a Buddhist than a Christian. Ditto with folks from India who just by the stats would more likely be Hindus. Indeed if you found genetic markers that suggest someone is from Ireland the likelihood that they're some flavour of Christian would be overwhelming.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I know one scientologist.
    I know two creationists.
    I don't know any Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

For interest: James Connolly's 1902 Yiddish election leaflet http://comeheretome.com/2010/03/01/james-connolly-yiddish-election-leaflet-1902/

That's really cool! The title states "Dublin Municipal Election, January 15th 1902" - never saw anything like this before, thanks for posting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Just to add fuel to the fire of the earlier jokes about Jewish people and Cavan someone told me before that there actually is a substantial orthodox Jewish community in Cavan . This is due to a meat factory there and the preparation of meat for export to Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

My dry cleaner is jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

lapsed wrote: »
    Let's clear another thing up then. The anti-semitic movement in Germany , France and elsewhere clearly stated that Jews constituted a race within a race; something which could not be tolerated. And I'm talking about the 19th century writings of George von Schoenerer , Adolf Stoecker , Eugene Duehring and Edouard Drumont. If you think that anyone writing, " What the Jew believes is neither here or there: In the Race lies the Swinishness " , is concerned with whether JC was the Messiah or not then you are very naive .
    True, but to some degree the Germans also viewed the Catholics are something similar , hence the Kulturkamp in the late 19th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

rain on wrote: »
    I had dinner with one once, I think he's dead now.

Was the food that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

If you can hold an opinion that a 'race' of people are generally good, you should be able to understand the reverse.
    Interesting that my comment that I was 'pro Semitic' should generate several adverse comments. As if admiring a people or a race is somehow the moral equivalent and justification for those who hold an opposite view.

What if I said I was pro French or pro American or pro Arab? I doubt the reaction would be similar.

Apparently it seems you can only be anti Semitic or simply hold no opinion positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

bluecode wrote: »
    Interesting that my comment that I was 'pro Semitic' should generate several adverse comments. As if admiring a people or a race is somehow the moral equivalent and justification for those who hold an opposite view.

What if I said I was pro French or pro American or pro Arab? I doubt the reaction would be similar.

Apparently it seems you can only be anti Semitic or simply hold no opinion positive or negative.

Being Pro in regards to any specific Race or Creed usually inspires negative connotations, especially when the reason behind this particular attitude is the belief that the group in question is somehow innately superior to others.

Generally such an attitude doesn't inspire much enthusiasm in rational Human Beings, as it's often inspired by the absence of critical thought - as evidenced by your immediate accusation of Antisemitism when your views were challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think it was more the 'if Jews ran the country we'd all be rich' part of your comment that people reacted to (that's the bit that surprised me anyway, given the rest of your post).

That's not pro-Semitic, all you've done is apply a stereotype in a positive sounding way. It's still a stereotype though.. and if one was to be pedantic they could say that any stereotype is by definition anti-whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Mid 80s, went into Stratford College to find dyslexic Aryans had broken in, nearly every inch of the hallways covered in reverse swastikas, a lot of penises too. Odd combination.. all a bit Freudian.

Israeli President (Herzog?) visited too, on the day, I bumped into a pair of very terse and grumpy security personnel guarding the downstairs library, first time seeing any sort of guns up close. Strangely, they were accompanied by what looked like a labrador, maybe for bomb detection.

Chaim Herzog's Wiki page details some of the interesting strands intertwining Irish and Israeli politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaim_Herzog

The nature of the Jewish holidays led to a lot of half days and long week-ends for the gentiles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Amalgam wrote: »
    Israeli President (Herzog?) visited too, on the day, I bumped into a pair of very terse and grumpy security personnel guarding the downstairs library, first time seeing any sort of guns up close. Strangely, they were accompanied by what looked like a labrador, maybe for bomb detection.

Guns? Foreign security guards with guns? In Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I lived in Kimmage for a bit. Just around the corner from Terenure. There has been a jewish community there for sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Guns? Foreign security guards with guns? In Ireland?

yeah... not exactly likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

And wasnt Disraeli jewish?

Church of England actually. Religiously speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Seaneh wrote: »
    yeah... not exactly likely...
    Secret Service were armed for Obamas visit as were the SO14 when the Queen was here. Discreetly, but even so.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i do and he is a fellow boardsie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I find it strange to be pro any people tbh. Still find Judaism very interesting and certainly am not anti-semitic, but I don't consider myself pro-semitic in order to demonstrate how much I object to anti-semitism. And I am very much anti the Israeli state/military stance re Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Went out with an Irish Jewish girl for 3 and a half years.... twice!

What I learned about her and her family....
      They were probably the most compassionate and generous people I've ever met.
      Education was the prioritised over money
      They prioritised getting to know important people in society rather than just being happy with their own friends.
      Each child in the family, despite the three in the family being very different, each had amazing creative minds. Serious operators!

I truly think that if Jewish people have an advantage over gentiles its that when they apply themselves to one subject/job/project, they have a massive capacity, drive and willingness to be the best in that particular field.

Have a look at the amount of Nobel Prize winners and you'll know what I'm talking about!

There are two members of the Republic of Loose that are Jewish BTW! (Not the lead singer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Yes, a friend of mine, who is actually a boardsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Let's clear another thing up then. The anti-semitic movement in Germany , France and elsewhere clearly stated that Jews constituted a race within a race; something which could not be tolerated.

SO what? Its still nonsense.

Go read about DNA research, instead of political propagandists (with an agenda) from the 19th century.

Funny guy...

:D

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well you can to some degree, unless you want to get really pedantic. IE if you have someone with deep genetic European history with the addition of deeper middle eastern markers and slightly narrower more related lines, a guess that they were Jewish wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Well yes, you can make guesses. You could guess that someone from Ireland is a Catholic too.

However I meant that scientifically you cant identify a jew from DNA.

In other words judaism is not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

SO what? Its still nonsense.

Go read about DNA research, instead of political propagandists (with an agenda) from the 19th century.

Funny guy...

:D

It's not nonsense when you're under attack, is it ? When the midnight knock came for the round-up how did..." look, here's my genetic profile " go down ?

It's not nonsense when you're under attack, is it ? When the midnight knock came for the round-up how did..." look, here's my genetic profile " go down ?

Absolutely. My maternal grandmother was jewish (from England) which means technically (according to the arbitrary nazi rules) myself and my siblings would have been eligible for a concentration camp. Creepy.

But there wasn't any science behind it just lunatic psycho nazi ideology.

They believed all sorts of things that weren't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

There's been quite a few books written on the history of the Irish-Jewish community including:

Dublin's Little Jerusalem - Nick Harris

Jews in Twentieth Century Ireland: Refugees, Anti-Semitism and the Holocaust - Dermot Keogh

Shalom Ireland: A social history of Jews in modern Ireland - Ray Rivlin

Jewish Ireland in the Age of Joyce: A Socioeconomic History - Cormac ó Gráda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

We should never forget the contribution that people of Jewish origin, have made, and are making, to:
    Philosophy
    Science
    Literature
    Cinema
    Music
    Chess
    ..........and just about anything else that makes us human beings feel glad to be alive, but for me their greatest gift to the world is their ability to make us laugh!

Advertisement