Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know any Irish Jews?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

For what, to see if he is a Muslim?:confused:

If he has no beard and is not shouting Alahu Akbar the chances are he's Jewish.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Check his cock.
    Funnneeee

If I checked yours, what would that tell me?

coolhull wrote: »
    Funnneeee

If I checked yours, what would that tell me?

It would tell you you had a sore jaw. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dd972 wrote: »
    got the dates wrong, but this tells you more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Pogrom
    Yea, interesting in that even though that twat of a cleric stirred up the shít, how those folks fleeing his madness were received. Especially in Cork. People opened their homes to fellow Irish people being fcuked over by a rabble rousing twat.
    Even if I met a Jewish person, how would I know? I'm hardly going to ask their religion, and I wouldn't expect them to ask mine. And as far as I know, they don't have any distinguishing features that makes them stand out from the crowd.
    Exactly. Unless you're buying into the propaganda of bullshít. Actually one guy I knew as a kid had an "Irish" first name and red hair. Oh yes. As if two thousand years of shíte agin his people wasn't enough the poor bastid was also a ginger. I mean he was really ginger. Lads and lasses of a similar bent would have looked at him and said "good god you could see him from space". Needless to say he was mercilessly ribbed about this. I bumped into him years later. Natures harvesters had had their wicked way and he was balding but what was left was so red you wouldn't believe. :D
    Perhaps if we're nice to them they'll give us some of their Jew gold.
    *facepalm, sooooo much facepalm" Break out a pliers and check teeth while you're at it.
    Check his cock.
    Yea he might be a Yank.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It would tell you you had a sore jaw. :pac:
    In fairness CS :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Even if I met a Jewish person, how would I know? I'm hardly going to ask their religion, and I wouldn't expect them to ask mine. And as far as I know, they don't have any distinguishing features that makes them stand out from the crowd.

Interesting question. A bit like asking how one would recognise a Catholic or Protestant? I guess their name may give a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Sorry for stereotype but my Israelis spotted me a mile away from my two forenames (named after my Grans dear friend) and the nose I inherited from my jewish biological father!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Don't know any Irish Jews but I am friends with a few American ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

I know a good few spurs fans, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I had dinner with one once, I think he's dead now.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    *facepalm, sooooo much facepalm" Break out a pliers and check teeth while you're at it.

South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭baron von something

don't know any irish jews but i've a friend that as long as i can remember we called him 'the jew'.everybody knows him as 'the jew'.i have no idea any more where it came from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Herself is of Jewish descent, her family moved here in 1800s to practise as criminals.I found their prison records recently.

Therefore I am married into a family of criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

bluecode wrote: »
    I cannot understand anti semitism. If this country was run by Jews. We would all be rich. I am pro semitic.

If you can hold an opinion that a 'race' of people are generally good, you should be able to understand the reverse.
    Sorry for stereotype but my Israelis spotted me a mile away from my two forenames (named after my Grans dear friend) and the nose I inherited from my jewish biological father!

Forenames are probably not a good indicator of Jewishness: think of how many Rebeccas, Rachels, etc you know. Even surnames can be problematic, as 'Jewishness' is sometimes only considered to be passed on if your mother is Jewish.

And the nose thing, really? Of all the Jewish people (mainly American) I've met/known over the years, none of them have had significant noses.

As for Irish Jews, I've only ever met one that I know was Jewish. I presume I've met and am possibly friends with others but it just doesn't come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nope, but one of my good friends from Holland is Jewish. Can't say I've met too many Jewish people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I do, I worked with a chap for a few years. An extremely nice guy, you couldn't meet a lovelier person.

Oh and somewhat hilariously I've actually had someone ask me in the past if I was Jewish, in a pub of all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Dawn do a nice orange jews and and even nicer cranberry jews!

Indeed they make a nice orange jewice, 100% concentrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

mattjack wrote: »
    Herself is of Jewish descent, her family moved here in 1800s to practise as criminals.I found their prison records recently.

Therefore I am married into a family of criminals.

Where's "here"?

Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Borat tells me they are shape shifters who like to attack with their claws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I’m Jewish and would consider myself as a 'practicing Jew' in that I attend synagogue services twice weekly (Friday night and Saturday morning), I participate in Jewish study groups, light shabbat candles, have a Hebrew name, don't eat pork, speak/write/read Hebrew etc. So hopefully I can shed some light on issues raised by previous posters.
    Stheno wrote:
    Orthodox Jews have very distinctive appearances
    Not necessarily, although you might be thinking of Hasidic Jews. Orthodox Jews vary in their observance of dress codes, but technically all a man needs is a head covering (a baseball hat would do) and a girl needs to wear a skirt which covers the knees and a top with a high neckline with sleeves covering the elbows. And even these requirements vary according to family/ community/ tradition etc.
    Red Hand wrote:
    No. You can apply for Israeli citizenship if you can prove you are Jewish (usually through the mother's line), but that's no guarantee.
    If a person has one Jewish grandparent, they can become an Israeli citizen. They don’t need to be halachically Jewish themselves. This is based on the premise laid out by Ben Gurion that if a person was 'Jewish enough' to die in the Holocaust, then they are Jewish enough to become an Israeli citizen. That's all I have to say on the issue of aliyah and I don't particularly care whether anyone thinks it's 'fair' or not.

FYI for the sake of peoples’ safety and privacy, first names and details of Jews people have encountered should not be posted on this thread. The community is small and it’s not terribly difficult to track anyone down. I’ve already identified two of my friends mentioned in this thread. Personally, I’m just uncomfortable with the idea of naming or even giving the background stories of Jews living in Ireland. We’re a paranoid lot, and tbh there have been incidents which have given us reason to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Red Hand wrote: »
    Where's "here"?

Australia?

This area .....
    Portland Row, North Strand Road, Seville Place, Amiens Street and Killarney Street.

Its a junction in Dublin , fairly famous .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

If you can hold an opinion that a 'race' of people are generally good, you should be able to understand the reverse.

Forenames are probably not a good indicator of Jewishness: think of how many Rebeccas, Rachels, etc you know. Even surnames can be problematic, as 'Jewishness' is sometimes only considered to be passed on if your mother is Jewish.

And the nose thing, really? Of all the Jewish people (mainly American) I've met/known over the years, none of them have had significant noses.

Sorry,that's true, I know what you mean, but it was something highlighted to me in a light hearted manner..by jewish folks, it depends on their background maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

First of all BORROW 3 eggs.

Sorry,that's true, I know what you mean, but it was something highlighted to me in a light hearted manner..by jewish folks, it depends on their background maybe.

You would not believe how many times the nose thing crops up in otherwise 'polite' conversation. What would be considered completely socially unacceptable in countries with large Jewish communities (such as the US) is tolerated far too much here.

I remember being on a college night out in first year when a guy from my class announced to me that people always thought he was Jewish because he had a huge nose. Another time I was sitting at the dinner table with my (new) housemates when one started bitching about a guy in her class who apparently looked like a 'Jew' and a 'rat'. Had some fun drawing out some cringeworthy anti-semitic jibes before the girl beside her typed on her phone that I am Jewish and slid it across the table to her. Very embarrassing for the girl in question. And only 2 weeks ago I was hit on by a guy in a pub who, after asking about my name and realising that I'm Jewish, slid a penny across the table to me. I looked at him, confused and he sat in silence for a minute before whipping it back again and saying "wow, you didn't take it! are you sure you're Jewish??" The guy in question was German, as if it wasn't awkward enough.

So, yeah, moral of the story; stereotypes are BS. And it's not amusing for a Jewish person to hear them, no matter how cute or funny anyone thinks they are.

Siuin wrote: »
    We’re a paranoid lot, and tbh there have been incidents which have given us reason to be.

Incidents specific to Ireland or just in a historical sense?

You would not believe how many times the nose thing crops up in otherwise 'polite' conversation. What would be considered completely socially unacceptable in countries with large Jewish communities (such as the US) is tolerated far too much here.

Ya think? I've noticed it on a few TV shows over the years. And obviously now I'll get given out to for this but there's a pretty high correlation with certain kinds of noses and Jews in my experience. I'm not talking about hook-noses like in Mel Gibson films but one look at Sarah Silverman and it's immediately obvious she's Jewish and the other few female American jews I've met had exactly the same shape of nose as her.

So, yeah, moral of the story; stereotypes are BS. And it's not amusing for a Jewish person to hear them, no matter how cute or funny anyone thinks they are.

Missed this bit, but are you not generalising a bit here? I don't mind Irish stereotypes in the right circumstances, or fat-guy ones, or the other ones about categories I fall into. Is it a specific Jewish trait or maybe just a personal one for you?

Incidents specific to Ireland or just in a historical sense?
    Specific to Ireland. People really have no idea what goes on. I don't want to post too many details about it on such a public forum, but the amount of security around the synagogues in Dublin is much, much higher than most people realise. I grew up in an area where a fake explosive was tied to the gates of the synagogue and the bomb squad was called in. Another time bloodied baby shoes were left on the steps. We frequently have weirdos trying to gain access to the synagogues or lurking around outside before and after services. Really shít times almost always corrospond with what's happening with Israel. Cast Lead was a very bad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

That's ****ing sick about the baby-shoes. Yeh there are a fair few anti Semitic numbskulls out there (in lots of countries before the "Irish people are very anti semitic" brigade chime in - I acknowledge its probably worse here than in some other countries, but not as bad as some countries in eastern Europe).

I'd be very suspicious too of loyalist paramilitaries who claim to support jews when they also have links with the NF. This "support" for Jews/Israel is, I'd wager, just a two fingers to republicans who tend to side with Palestine.

• Advertisement

Missed this bit, but are you not generalising a bit here? I don't mind Irish stereotypes in the right circumstances, or fat-guy ones, or the other ones about categories I fall into. Is it a specific Jewish trait or maybe just a personal one for you?
    Jewish stereotypes can be very cruel and I really don't see why anyone should find it acceptable to go down that road and make another person uncomfortable. I don't know any Jewish person who would not take offence to comments being passed about them being miserly or having a big nose. It was really hurtful as a teenager to be made feel different and even now as a 'grown up' (of sorts!) I still feel very self conscious of trying to prove stereotypes wrong that I find mysef obsessing about it. Also, a person needs to take the historical context into consideration when making such statements.
    Ya think? I've noticed it on a few TV shows over the years. And obviously now I'll get given out to for this but there's a pretty high correlation with certain kinds of noses and Jews in my experience. I'm not talking about hook-noses like in Mel Gibson films but one look at Sarah Silverman and it's immediately obvious she's Jewish and the other few female American jews I've met had exactly the same shape of nose as her.
    Some people have big noses. Others don't. It's generally not a very kind thing to make reference to either way.

Advertisement