Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know any Irish Jews?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Armelodie wrote: »
    Relax man I'm joking...

And.... Go fuck yourself too for not getting my Jewish humour...

These threads never end well in Ireland :mad: Went to Stratford in the 80s, second day, sneaked out for a coffee and a smoke in the cafe behind the 108 with three other degenerates, was asked to name the Jew out of the three of them, failed miserably. Was struck at the time how they never used their religion/ethnicity as a crutch and just mixed in. Jewish humour is top notch too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

George Hook is from Jewtown in Cork.(No 79.Albert Road)

In relation to Jewtown, I was just looking at the online census for Hibernian Buildings, Albert Road, Cork.

In the 1901 census, Hibernian Buildings has been misspelled 'Hibernica Buildings', but it's the right place. Searching against heads of households only, there were 68 Jewish families in Cork, of which 22 Jewish families lived in Hibernian Buildings.

No wonder it was called Jewtown.

In the 1911 census, the same search parameters showed 67 Jewish families in Cork, of which 6 Jewish families lived at Hibernian Buildings.

Most were from Russia, orginally. There were lots of pedlars and drapers, with a progression into other occupations by 1911.

According to the history already helpfully linked by Bluewolf, it seems that many of Cork's Jews either emigrated or integrated into the local community by marrying into Church of Ireland families. There is no mention of intermarrying with Catholics, which leads me to wonder about whether the Catholic Church forbade it at the time.

If there was a peak of 450-500 Jews in Cork in 1939, then it seems that a very small community has made an outstanding constribution to society, noticeable to this day in spheres of education, the arts, music, law and politics, amongst other things. I am blatantly stealing Rhys Essien's previous references to Lewis Glucksman, Aloys Fleischmann and Gerald Goldberg, but they say that imitation is flattery.

Only two Jewish families left in Cork now, it seems. A pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    is that so....well why did they leave then?? why did their numbers fall dramatically...

POGROM of Limerick

and see what siuin has to say here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82360631&postcount=119
    Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh I read what Siuin said, and thanked it. The above still doesn't mean Jews were cold-shouldered out of the republic, much as you'd like that to be the case.

well it certainly doesn't make them feel welcome now does it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

well it certainly doesn't make them feel welcome now does it
    No. Didn't suggest it did. Unfortunately anti-semitism is in many societies - seemingly worse the further east one travels in Europe, and there is anti-semitism here too unfortunately. Even one instance of it is too much, but the existence of it does not mean it is endemic here and that Jews were cold-shouldered out of Ireland.

It's just said by Irish people who like to say Irish people (but not them) are really backwards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

oh ffs:rolleyes:

So, are you contending that Ireland has a particularly bad record of anti-semitism by international standards, either now or historically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

TwoBirds wrote: »
    Worked with a Jewish guy for a while. He was an absolute fruitcake incidentally, but I don't think that had anything to do with his religion.
    I went to college with a Jewish guy. He was the most pompous snob I've ever met. I also worked for a Jewish guy for a short summer job. He was great craic and a bit of a loon.

Curiouser and curiouser... Not the head offices of major retailer, by any chance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I work for a Jewish charity in London; one of a handful of non Jewish employees. Don't know any at all personally in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

TwoBirds wrote: »
    Curiouser and curiouser... Not the head offices of major retailer, by any chance?!

No, not connected to retail at all - an outdoor job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

is that so....well why did they leave then?? why did their numbers fall dramatically...

POGROM of Limerick

and see what siuin has to say here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82360631&postcount=119

Hey I think you're on to something actually.....but dont stop there either, I just noticed that I didn't see any native americans in Ireland!! We must have Ira/catholic/irished/anything else you hated them out of the republic too!

In presenting a historical argument you have to present reasoning to back up an ascertation beyond there isn't much (insert culture/religion here) in Ireland. If you dont it just comes across as the standard "we're not in charge anymore" unionist dribble.

Advertisement