Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know any Irish Jews?

Options
  • 23-12-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

The Jewish population in Ireland is extremely small (1,930 in the 2006 census). I was wondering if anyone here knows or has ever met a Jew living in Ireland? I know Portobello in Dublin had a large Jewish population at one stage, apparently.

I don't just mean knowing people in the public eye, like Alan Shatter, but actually knowing ordinary, practicing Jewish people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Yeah, we have Jewish neighbours. I also have a friend who's Jewish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yes

The Jewish population in Ireland is extremely small (1,930 in the 2006 census). I was wondering if anyone here knows or has ever met a Jew living in Ireland? I know Portobello in Dublin had a large Jewish population at one stage, apparently.

I don't just mean knowing people in the public eye, like Alan Shatter, but actually knowing ordinary, practicing Jewish people.

So about 1 in 2500 people in Jewish, most people will know or at least know of a Jew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've met a few. Some were friends of my aunt and uncle's family, and there was a Jewish guy in my year in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

This is taking the Christmas spirit to far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

One pal of mine - Israeli father, Irish mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've met loads of Israeli Jews in Ireland. But no Irish Jews... In Cork we have a place called Jew Town where we keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Never met Irish one,s,Was good friends with an Italian one a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Amy Huberman is half Jewish. There's a Zion road in Rathgar and apparently there's a Jewish golf course somewhere in the posh end of Dublin. There's also 'Jewtown' in cork which is pretty much just one street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

A friend of mine keeps a fork in the sugar bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

My doctor is Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Bassfish wrote: »
    There's also 'Jewtown' in cork which is pretty much just one street.
    The Albert Road area on the way to Blackrock. There's a Shalom Park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I've met loads of Israeli Jews in Ireland. But no Irish Jews... In Cork we have a place called Jew Town where we keep them.

Disgusting reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Good grief! there should be a place where we can keep Cork people... preferably
    a small inlet north of Siberia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Met an Irish junior Dr in my local hospital a few years ago, she was nice,very friendly, I lived in North London for 3 years and chatted about that a bit, and that came round to religion, thats the only reason I know she was Jewish. She said the Jewish community in Ireland had got smaller, even over the last few years. She wasn't necessarily keen to broadcast her religion. She wasn't ashamed of it, but the Muslim faith tends to be very heavily represented in the medical profession in Irish hospitals and just chose not to broadcast it. Saying that, none of the Muslim Dr's particularly broadcast their faith either.

Most moderate people don't really choose to shove their religion down peoples throat so I have no idea how many people of Jewish faith I have met who never bothered to tell me their religion.

9959 wrote: »
    Disgusting reply.
    nocoverart wrote: »
    Good grief! there should be a place where we can keep Cork people... preferably
    a small inlet north of Siberia.

Sorry, forgot humour is not allowed in AH :rolleyes:

If you've ever been to Jew Town in Cork you'd realise it's a sh1thole of a place. There are no jews living there now though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

9959 wrote: »
    Disgusting reply.

S'what it's called
    http://www.corkhebrewcongregation.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yes. Her name is Sílock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

My Uncle is Irish, And he's a mean tight arsed git.

I'm pretty sure he is of the Jewish Community

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Bassfish wrote: »
    Amy Huberman is half Jewish. There's a Zion road in Rathgar and apparently there's a Jewish golf course somewhere in the posh end of Dublin. There's also 'Jewtown' in cork which is pretty much just one street.

Stratford college on Zion road is a Jewish school. There's a synagogue in Terenure also. I don't know if you'd classify the whole of Zion Road as Jewish though, there are at least two other (non Jewish) schools on it.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Maybe he just has a bit of Cavan in him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Dawn do a nice orange jews and and even nicer cranberry jews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Either that or he's from Cavan

dammit, minidazzler got there first!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know a guy whose parents (I've never met them) are Irish Jews but he himself is an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Sorry, forgot humour is not allowed in AH :rolleyes:

If you've ever been to Jew Town in Cork you'd realise it's a sh1thole of a place. There are no jews living there now though.

It's not really the Jew comment. I just can't stand people from Cork. You lot actually think it's the centre of the Universe, it's a feckin sh1t hole! I don't usually like generalising but you lot are really all the same.

I know a guy whose parents (I've never met them) are Irish Jews but he himself is an atheist.

In the media it seems like most Jews are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't know any Jews either Irish or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Yes. His great grandfather was emmigrating from Lithuania to the US and the ship they were on docked in Cobh to pick up passengers. His grandfather got off thinking he was in New York and the ship left without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In the media it seems like most Jews are.

Many are. Jewish is an ethnicity as well as a religion.

Advertisement