Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you personally know any Irish Jews?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Murt10 wrote: »

The area around him became developed and he stood his ground. There was a brilliant picture in one of the daily newspapers at the time. There was this little one story shop, with its window in the shape of an eye, surrounded by modern skyscrapers. Talk about an eyesore.

Your story reminds me of Rodney Danker who used to have an antiquarian and secondhand bookshop on South King St. He defied the developers of the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre site for years and delayed the building works to get what he considered fair compensation for his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I've met loads of Israeli Jews in Ireland. But no Irish Jews... In Cork we have a place called Jew Town where we keep them.
    Sorry, forgot humour is not allowed in AH :rolleyes:

If you've ever been to Jew Town in Cork you'd realise it's a sh1thole of a place. There are no jews living there now though.

"where we keep them" is the unfunny disgusting bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yes. I mean no.
    What was the question again?

Sodastream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Did you get that from a book of jokes overheard from primary school playgrounds?

Sorry it's not "Everybody Loves Raymond".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

nocoverart wrote: »
    It's not really the Jew comment. I just can't stand people from Cork. You lot actually think it's the centre of the Universe, it's a feckin sh1t hole! I don't usually like generalising but you lot are really all the same.
    So you're just blathering on irrelevantly then? Pipe down, no-one cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I live beside a Jewish school, its called Stratford College. So yeah ..I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yes, I went to school and grew up with Jewish children. They were a nice bunch of kids, though no different to the rest of us. It was a Private School with all religions and nationalities represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

is there such a thing? I thought all Jewish people were by default Israeli citizens by birth? or something like that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

kenmc wrote: »
    is there such a thing? I thought all Jewish people were by default Israeli citizens by birth? or something like that ...

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

kenmc wrote: »

No. You can apply for Israeli citizenship if you can prove you are Jewish (usually through the mother's line), but that's no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. My first love was an Irish Jew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Red Hand wrote: »
    No. You can apply for Israeli citizenship if you can prove you are Jewish (usually through the mother's line), but that's no guarantee.

Well no wonder they keep expanding into the west bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

One of the best lecturers I had in college was jewish, Ronit Lentin, brilliant mind!

mikom wrote: »
    Sorry it's not "Everybody Loves Raymond".

They wouldn't get away with such edginess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Nope never met one,do they hangout in 'The Foggy Dew' by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I spent my early years growing up near the inner city and we happened to have a good few Jewish neighbours (either side of us and a few in the nearby flats), my Grans lifelong best friend (told me amazing stories about her life), nearby, was Jewish, as was many of my Mam and her siblings friends and my biological father also. Long time ago:) but I remember my Grans friend was fairly ok off for the times and I was fascinated by her two big fridges :) she explained about Kosher. Despite being a veggie now, I ate my own weight in corned beef and matza as a small child. Mam gets all nostaliac if she sees it now. Our dog nicked their roast one time.
    I know a good few Israelis also from work, and my late Grans favourite taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Yes I do and he was a gentleman. We discussed the fate of Jews in this country. It was a reflection of we Irish, emigration. I was in contact with his son in America for years. So I have a very positive view.

Quiet honestly I feel that the Jews in any country always have a positive influence. In that I am pro semitic. I always voted for Mervyn Taylor, a Jew.

I cannot understand anti semitism. If this country was run by Jews. We would all be rich. I am pro semitic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Haven't read all the thread pages so it may have been mentioned already, but apparently Limerick had a thriving Jewish community, saw a doc on tv about it once, apparently during WW2 a couple of priests whipped up a furore of anti Jewish sentiment to the point where many emigrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

got the dates wrong, but this tells you more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_Pogrom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

dd972 wrote: »
    Haven't read all the thread pages so it may have been mentioned already, but apparently Limerick had a thriving Jewish community, saw a doc on tv about it once, apparently during WW2 a couple of priests whipped up a furore of anti Jewish sentiment to the point where many emigrated

Ah that was a lot earlier around 1900 or 1910. Around then anyway

Jewish businessman had a thriving business, something to do with cloth and clothes making I think

Another local businessman managed to whip up a storm and priests got involved too

It wasn't realy to do with religion, more a businessman looking to knock out the competition

It escalated quite badly though

edit: your link is very good ^^^^^

bluecode wrote: »
    Yes I do and he was a gentleman. We discussed the fate of Jews in this country. It was a reflection of we Irish, emigration. I was in contact with his son in America for years. So I have a very positive view.

Quiet honestly I feel that the Jews in any country always have a positive influence. In that I am pro semitic. I always voted for Mervyn Taylor, a Jew.

I cannot understand anti semitism. If this country was run by Jews. We would all be rich. I am pro semitic.

I'm not anti-semitic, sure I support Palestine.
    Really though, I'm Jew-neutral or blind or whatever. Someone's background or religion is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned and logic like "if the country was run by Jews we would all be rich" is unsettling in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is that supposed to be satirical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Is that supposed to be satirical?

Perhaps if we're nice to them they'll give us some of their Jew gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Even if I met a Jewish person, how would I know? I'm hardly going to ask their religion, and I wouldn't expect them to ask mine. And as far as I know, they don't have any distinguishing features that makes them stand out from the crowd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree with the emigration thing. The "wandering Jew" is well mirrored in us. If you're Irish and Jewish? 1) you're covered wherever you show up as far as bumping into someone you can click with and scab a bed/drink/possible job. 2) Your passport has more stamps than a philatelist conference. :D That said the question is then why would anyone have a negative view?
    TBH I'm "ProWhoeverIsn'tAGobshíte". Ethnicity or whatever is no barrier to being sound out, or indeed being a gobshíte.
    I cannot understand anti semitism.
    Ditto.
    If this country was run by Jews. We would all be rich.
    I dunno about that. Of the most profligate spendthrifts I've ever known two of them were Jewish lads(both Dubs. Cavan types of the Jewish persuasion may well be different). Prejudicial thinking can go both ways I've found, even if meant well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

coolhull wrote: »
    Even if I met a Jewish person, how would I know?

Check his cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Check his cock.

For what, to see if he is a Muslim?:confused:

Even if I met a Jewish person, how would I know? I'm hardly going to ask their religion, and I wouldn't expect them to ask mine. And as far as I know, they don't have any distinguishing features that makes them stand out from the crowd.
    I saw a Hasidic Jew get off a bus on O'Connell St. about a month ago, easy enough to tell in rare instances. :pac:
    Check his cock.
    Could just be American.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Orthodox Jews have very distinctive appearances

Advertisement