Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude Festival 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Kraftwerks set was impressive is just I have my reservations about what four of them were actually doing up there.... and the forest stage was a nice setup, and I caught Lanegan and the YYY's chick was entertaining. Nice day in the park regardless!

I agree about Kraftwerk but like, there are four of them, what are they supposed to do, take it in turns to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

what are they supposed to do, take it in turns to play?

No; gawd no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I agree about Kraftwerk but like, there are four of them, what are they supposed to do, take it in turns to play?

I would have thought that the fact each member played what was effectively a solo before exiting the stage during "Musique Non Stop" would indicate that they were each playing integral parts of the music. :) That was my 3rd time to see them and it was musically the best - and the 1st time I've seen "Robots" done without the actual Robots.

I was attending on my own yesterday - usually something I dread but I have to admit I was well impressed by the venue, the running of it and the genuinely niceness of the crowd, no trouble-making d*ckwads, no overt crippling drunkenness, plenty of clean toilet facilities and stress free parking & exiting.

Job well one I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Was at the festival for the 3 days. Thoroughly enjoyable. Weather helped obviously but there was a nice vibe and it was nice for MCD to treat us like adults and not animals. Makes a huge difference. I was able to cycle there every day which was damn cool.

Thumbs up from me. Had an absolute ball. Highlights were Young Wonder, Foals, Hot Chip (so good), Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Vampire Weekend who all killed it. Kraftwerk were excellent too, great way to finish things off.

The early finish feels strange, even through I was there early every day and I miss the post-music tomfoolery of normal festivals but it was a blast all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

I really enjoyed the festival.
    People were very chilled for the most part and I didn't witness any insanity.
    I liked the staggered timings at the various stages so you could wander around with no hassle. It was something similar to Mumford's set up in Salthill last year.
    Missed the minutes because the Woodlands tent was full by the time I managed to rally the troops:(

The one way system wasn't in place Friday but it was definitely necessary on Saturday and Sunday due to the sheer volume of people.
    The toilets - I don't get why they did female and male toilets... We just used the male toilets. The segregation of toilets is an idiotic idea.

It's funny, I wasn't that mad about any of the lineup but I think that made it more chilled for me as I wasn't racing to see acts. I liked all the acts I saw - I just thought Hot Chip would have had more of a stage show or something. Kraftwerk were grand - the 3D stuff added a bit of novelty and some of it was really well done. Vampire Weekend and Yeah Yeah Yeahs were great.
    I didn't understand some of the timings with acts like Le Galaxie and Kodaline on far earlier than they should have been but that was probably to draw people in earlier.

Anytime we went down to the Speakeasy area it was that kiwi from Galway Come Dine With Me performing. I think we just had bad timing.

On another note, the Phantom fm area - they would have been better off using that for an arts area or something. It didn't add to the festival - they were playing disco tracks...

Loved the whole experience. 3 days of music, 3 nights in my own bed, no crazy traffic issues getting in or out of the site, minimal skangers, nice age demographic, zero trouble, zero hassle. Good job by MCD overall. Defo in my diary for next year if they manage to keep it as chilled as this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Toast

Clarehobo wrote: »
    The toilets - I don't get why they did female and male toilets... We just used the male toilets. The segregation of toilets is an idiotic idea.

It is actually for the women's benefit from what I can gather. The men have urinals too which means the ones queuing for their portaloos are in for the long haul so to speak and keeping them out of the womens means they're not tying up one of your toilets for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Fantastic weekend was had. Kudos to the organisers. I thought it was all very smooth considering it was the first year. Yeah the female queues for the loo did look nuts but many did seem to just brave the lads portaloos. Never had much of a wait for a drink all weekend, and the food was varied and tasty.

Highlights music wise were Vampire Weekend (blissful!), Foals, Yeah yeah Yeahs, Django Django, Phoenix and Hot Chip. €130 IMO was an absolute bargain for all that and some other bits along the way.

Felt the crowd for the most part was great, no hassle, everyone in good form and well behaved. Will defo go again if it's a similiar lineup with the same earlybird price!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Clarehobo wrote: »
    On another note, the Phantom fm area - they would have been better off using that for an arts area or something. It didn't add to the festival - they were playing disco tracks...
    Yeah t'was silly. Presume phantom were paying for the privilege or something? Anyone who spent their day there might as well have stayed home and tuned into Phantom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I lost my iPhone last night. I think it fell out of my pocket on the grass outside the Eden when we went back there after the gig. It's a 3gs if anyone found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It takes a brave woman to use the men's portaloos... we only ever use them for one reason and that's arse spraying mayhem!

I'll never forget Oxegen 09 and seeing a guy leave one with a big smile on his face and the girl that went in after him came out seconds later getting sick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

thankfully the royal birth was today so didnt clash with Longitude

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Culthurst

Did nobody see Totally Enourmous Extinct Dinosaurs on the Friday night in the tent? Everybodies going on about 'Phoenix this, Phoenix that', which is fair enough, but TEED put on a blinder of a show. Incredible stuff.

Also, if you were that chap that stole a place on the barrier from a mate of mine at that set just to stare at the stage motionless and record a two minute snippet of a track and title it 'Dance **** Longitude' and then leave, I hope you had a horrible festival :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I am curious to know what the situation was like regarding getting the general Dublin Bus service back into town after the gig on Sunday night.

I got the shuttle bus Marathon coaches service, but considering it was 10 euros return, it was much more expensive than the Dublin bus general service, so I am wondering, did many people manage to get the number 16 back into town after the gig, or did it fill up, necessitating people who didn't manage to get it, to have to get taxis back into town?

If so, what price were the taxis?

I know of cases where people got the Dublin Bus back into town on Saturday night but they left the gig around 10.30pm, before it ended to beat the crowd.

I wouldn't like to have left before Kraftwerk concluded at exactly 11pm!!:)

the Marathon coaches was a return fare only so I presume they didn't accept any extra single fares after the gig back into town?

The Dublin Bus timetable said the last two number 16 buses were 11pm and then 11.30pm,

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/16-/

and I presume these started at 11pm and 11.30pm from Ballinteer, so I wonder what time they stopped at the bus stop near Marlay Park and how long they took to get into town.

I think this bus stop near Marlay Park is Grange Road?

I'd like this info for future reference when attending gigs in Marlay Park.

The Marathon Coaches service worked well, with a number of buses ready after the gig to take people back. But the walk to where the buses are waiting is the guts of 10- 15 minutes and I understand the walk to where the general Dublin Bus services pick up is shorter, from where we left the concert area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I got the bus in Sunday night after the gig.
    Really took my time leaving the venue, have no idea what time it was, jumped on a bus & off into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Culthurst wrote: »
    Did nobody see Totally Enourmous Extinct Dinosaurs on the Friday night in the tent? Everybodies going on about 'Phoenix this, Phoenix that', which is fair enough, but TEED put on a blinder of a show. Incredible stuff.

Also, if you were that chap that stole a place on the barrier from a mate of mine at that set just to stare at the stage motionless and record a two minute snippet of a track and title it 'Dance **** Longitude' and then leave, I hope you had a horrible festival :D

No, we checked it out cos had no interest in seeing Phoenix but the crowd (around us) was very... how shall I say enthusiastic with the aid of the illegal type of substance. I actually had to move the fella cos big chap behind us was waving his arms so fast that I thought he was gonna end up getting a smack.
    TEED was alright, would probably enjoy it in a club but didn't really do anything for me on the night that was in it.

Overall though, thoroughly enjoyed Longitude, lots of comments about "poseurs" etc etc and to be honest I overheard some right 'ol conversations that made me guffaw almost audibly but I just moved along and hey presto I was over it.
    Highlight for me had to be Kodaline and Django Django then Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
    Kraftwerk were Meh but I've never been a big fan.
    Loved the speakeasy but some absolute ****e was witnessed in there.
    Happy as a pig in ****e though and still haven't taken off my wrist band. Will have to do it in the morning before work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I mentioned being bored by kraftwerk, despite knowing all their material still an experience but you know who was the biggest letdown for me?

Mark Lanegan, the guy I went to see in a spur of the moment and a day seemingly based around electronic music with young hipsters ahoy made the alt rock legend look so out of place and detached with his blues dirges! Maybe on a dark night, in vicar street or that but not this longitude ...... still, had fun wandering around the site checking out the talent with a few drinks then dropping over to my sister across the road. Flawless weather too, always helps at these things but I can't help but feel a ****ty day would have suited ML better!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I am curious to know what the situation was like regarding getting the general Dublin Bus service back into town after the gig on Sunday night.

I got the shuttle bus Marathon coaches service, but considering it was 10 euros return, it was much more expensive than the Dublin bus general service, so I am wondering, did many people manage to get the number 16 back into town after the gig, or did it fill up, necessitating people who didn't manage to get it, to have to get taxis back into town?

I know of cases where people got the Dublin Bus back into town on Saturday night but they left the gig around 10.30pm, before it ended to beat the crowd.

the Marathon coaches was a return fare only so I presume they didn't accept any extra single fares after the gig back into town?

The Dublin Bus timetable said the last two number 16 buses were 11pm and then 11.30pm,

and I presume these started at 11pm and 11.30pm from Ballinteer, so I wonder what time they stopped at the bus stop near Marlay Park and how long they took to get into town.

The Marathon Coaches service worked well, with a number of buses ready after the gig to take people back. But the walk to where the buses are waiting is the guts of 10- 15 minutes and I understand the walk to where the general Dublin Bus services pick up is shorter, from where we left the concert area.

Good questions. I'd like to know for future reference. I got the shuttle bus out of handiness. The return bus I was on only stopped at Custom House Quay, which was a bit of a pain in the ass, a stop at Wexford Street, where the 16 bus goes would have suited me. On the other hand, there was buses waiting there when the gig ended, so no nightmare trying to find a way home after 12.
    Dublin Bus should put on extra late buses for events like this. Did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Good questions. I'd like to know for future reference. I got the shuttle bus out of handiness. The return bus I was on only stopped at Custom House Quay, which was a bit of a pain in the ass, a stop at Wexford Street, where the 16 bus goes would have suited me. On the other hand, there was buses waiting there when the gig ended, so no nightmare trying to find a way home after 12.
    Dublin Bus should put on extra late buses for events like this. Did they?

I booked my tickets in advance for 9 euro and I would guess it would cost at least 5 return to use dublin bus so for me the guarantee of a seat on a direct bus back was worth the extra 4. The bus I got on request stopped in rathmines/ranelagh area, somewhere else and then Custom house quay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Just back from Latitude... Did Texas fill in for Modest Mouse over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

minutes did I think. ugghh Texas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Frightened Rabbit were there replacement as such I think. They were great, on a bit early though. Suppose they don't really have the following over here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sweetie wrote: »
    minutes did I think. ugghh Texas!

i'm a fan luckily, was gonna slip modest tbh. i didnt realise til i got there that the line up varied quite alot aside from heasliners

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I booked my tickets in advance for 9 euro and I would guess it would cost at least 5 return to use dublin bus so for me the guarantee of a seat on a direct bus back was worth the extra 4. The bus I got on request stopped in rathmines/ranelagh area, somewhere else and then Custom house quay.
    Yeah, I figured the extra fiver or so was worth it for a guaranteed seat on a bus direct in to town. There was shuttle buses lined up at the end of the gig, so it was hassle free. The bus driver we had wouldn't stop off anywhere on the way, said it was to do with insurance. So we got out at Custom House Quay.
    I stopped off for a pint on the walk home, so it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Actually met my cousin working security there who's a dub and told me basically its a scottish company who ship over 70% of their own guys supplemented with 30% Irish guys who work for the companies over here.

Thanks sweetie! Always wondered about that. So where do the English lads stay? Good day's work for B&B owners I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So where do the English lads stay? Good day's work for B&B owners I'd say
    I worked at Oxegen way back when and there was a "employees tent" which was basically a giant circus tent that we brought our own sleeping bag/mat. Doubt the English lads are anywhere too expensive or plush.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

My friend and I got the 16 back on Saturday night and it was a bit tough to get on to. We'd planned to start edging out near the end of Vampire Weekend, but we were fairly wedged in the crowd so we left when everyone else was basically.

There was a really long queue at the bus stop by the time we got out, and the real time sign said there wouldn't be another bus for 40 minutes. We didn't bother joining the queue, just stood against the wall weighing up our options. Then a bus came out of nowhere and it was a bit of a stampede trying to get on. We managed because we both had prepaid tickets, but when the bus left there were still a LOT of people left. My advice in future would be to either leave early, or take the time to walk up to the next stop where there'll be fewer people waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭sporina

we got a taxi back into the city every eve - €20 for 4… happy days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Thanks for each of your responses.

I aimed to be back in town before midnight to connect with another bus, so I don't think I'd have made it back in time, if I'd tried to get the normal Dublin Bus service back.

thankfully, the shuttle bus stopped at Customs House Quay at 23.55!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I worked at Oxegen way back when and there was a "employees tent" which was basically a giant circus tent that we brought our own sleeping bag/mat. Doubt the English lads are anywhere too expensive or plush.

But surely that wouldn't be the case at Marlay as there's no camping permitted on site?

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

thats just bar staff at oxegen AFAIK, most other staff have onsite camping even for day festivals, I've worked Slane and other day fests where there is designated staff camping for crew aside behind stages

Advertisement