Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude Festival 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Have to ask what the story with Kraftwerk looking busy apparently pushing knobs up there; especially in the wake of guettagate are they even triggering anything or what

I nearly nodded off, I know thats their iconic image but maybe they are the forefathers of shìt after all I mean look at their hands-on innovation at the top of the page long before tech finally corrupted music..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Anyone see London Grammar yesterday? I don't know were they really good or was I just captivated by the singers beauty, what a roide :P

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

mutley18 wrote: »
    Anyone see London Grammar yesterday? I don't know were they really good or was I just captivated by the singers beauty, what a roide :P

both

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mutley18 wrote: »
    Were you the chap telling her how sexy was she? :p

I fricking love YYYs. Karen O is a nutter, total entertainer. London Grammar were great too (Metal and Dust was way better than the recorded version) but their set was insanely short!

I hadn't heard Hot Chip before and loved them. They got things going.

Really laid back vibe for most of the day which ramped up from Hot Chip on as it got busier, which seemed fairly appropriate. A /lot/ of liquor was smuggled in though and there were a bunch of really irritating drunks who could barely stand by 8 o clock. Queues for food were pretty long late in the day and the women's toilet queues were pretty horrible too (not that that was a problem for me!). Some of the portaloos were absolutely disgusting, fortunately I never needed to use them.

Great day all the same though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

The treacle on show yesterday was top notch.

I commend you, ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

great weekend.
    best acts i saw were Foals, Jessie Ware, Phoenix, Flume, Paul Kalkbrenner and Krystal Klear.
    very few issues with the festival itself. a few more toilets and food stalls, and scrapping the 1-way system which seemed to only be enforced for half the weekend would be the only minor complaints. 1st year of the festival though, so should hopefully have those things sorted if it's there next year.
    great crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Really enjoyed yesterday. Kraftwerk were amazing. My only complaint is that it was kind of a hassle to get home but that's kind of to be expected for events like this.

Marlay is a beautiful venue. I think this festival could grow into something great. Pity there was no camping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Were you the chap telling her how sexy was she? :p.

Nah I was well behaved at that point of the day! Did you see the big guy in the front row off his tits? I think more people were laughing at him than watching the stage, ecstasy is a hell of a drug! :D

haha yeah I saw him, bouncing up and down like a man possessed. Didn't exactly fit the nature of the music... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

haha yeah I saw him, bouncing up and down like a man possessed. Didn't exactly fit the nature of the music... :p

You weren't the guy wearing Arsenal shorts were you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Had a blast yesterday at Longitude. Brilliant festival, great venue, well put together visually, bars were well setup to take orders, toilet situation wasn't too bad.

The weather of course helped and the lineup was quality.....Hot Chip were probably the highlight for me. Kraftwerk was visually good but the tunes lack a bit of oomph for me.

I will return next year assuming it's on again.

Congrats to MCD for adding this to the festival mix.

You weren't the guy wearing Arsenal shorts were you?
    haha, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a great time too. Lovely venue. Great weather and perfect standard of music (any bigger names and it would have been too much about the music if ya get what I mean).

All the people here complaining about hipsters/knackers, well, there's no pleasing some people. Would they prefer a festival where it was 9,000 people who all looked the same???

Prices were a little bit saucy but to be expected really. Queues weren't too bad (Rum Bar the worst for me), very glad I wasn't in the female queue. One queue at a food place and a few trips to the Heineken bar, still had plenty of time to enjoy my day.

Will definitely do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

The price of the actual festival was pretty reasonable I felt. Disagree or not, but the quality and draw of acts on the lineup and the relative lack of clashes due to the stage set ups (again, like it or not) is hard to argue with. It was a nice spread of acts with different stages and activities in a compact but not packed setting.

The whole idea, set-up and initial execution of the festival was totally worth the money when the very big things like music, layout, acoustics, public transport, facilities, safety, security are considered.

HOWEVER, the actual additional costs for food and drink/attitudes towards food and drink being brought in, as well as the 'Eco'-cup debacle were awful, and that is what will make people think that it wasn't worth it. I don't know if anyone has brought it up, but food prices in Wok n Roll at the least, the Wurst place possibly as well raised their prices on the Sunday. This, and the initial pricing of drink seemed to smack of taking advantage of an obviously slightly more affluent than usual festival client-base coming into the arena.

There is absolutely no getting around the ending at 11, or the lack of camping, considering the setting, so it's pointless to bring it up really.

In an oxymoronic way too, the treatment and placement of some acts to minimise clashes, and get them on the main stage at 2/3 in the day was a bit disappointing at times, but is something that can be taken either way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Mr.S wrote: »
    Camping is fair enough, I was linking the price of Longitude to the likes of EP and Body & Soul which are obviously camping (but not in suburbia)

I think the ending before 11pm point is valid though, when your paying €150+ for a weekend ticket. At the very least I would have expect proper post show events in town with free entry with your ticket, ala FF.

It was only getting going in the Live Project tent on Saturday night (as darkness fell) when Kalkbrenner was on, when the time came to close for the night. Nor was there any trouble over there. The location of this festival has its pros and cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clubber51

Kraftwerk - music, sound and presentation - were a joy. Shame about the people who talked to and shouted at each other all the time while bands were on stage. I don't understand this. Punters pay top dollar for tickets and then don't even listen. Special mention to the really tall guy - six foot six or more - seen earlier with a baby. Moron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clubber51

Kraftwerk - music, sound and presentation - were a joy. Shame about the people who talked to and shouted at each other all the time while bands were on stage. I don't understand this. Punters pay top dollar for tickets and then don't even listen. Special mention to the really tall guy - six foot six or more - (seen earlier with a baby). People up on his sholders, etc.. Moron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Clubber51 wrote: »
    Kraftwerk - music, sound and presentation - were a joy. Shame about the people who talked to and shouted at each other all the time while bands were on stage. I don't understand this. Punters pay top dollar for tickets and then don't even listen. Special mention to the really tall guy - six foot six or more - seen earlier with a baby. Moron!

Wonder if thats the same guy who staggered down our road at 1am this morning with a kid and a few pals and proceeded to stand in the road and block a car shouting abuse at the driver :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

calex71 wrote: »
    Wonder if thats the same guy who staggered down our road at 1am this morning with a kid and a few pals and proceeded to stand in the road and block a car shouting abuse at the driver :confused:

Jesus, that's shocking.

I thought the kids with the huge ear protectors were hilarious. That they have to wear overlarged ear protectors might suggest that they're a bit young for a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great day yesterday. Kraftwerk were my highlight I don't understand some people why stand there if you don't like them. Flume was brilliant and SBTRKT was alright.

Food and drink prices were a bit on the expensive side but I suppose that's a festival for ya. Job well done by MCD if it continues with the quality line up it will last for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Somebody mentioned after-parties ala FF but I think there were certain venues around town that had deals for people showing wristbands at the door.

Not sure if they were free but they were significantly reduced.

I'd see that kind of thing as a decent bonus anyway, by far the most important factor is the festival itself given you're there for the day and it sees the best of you i.e. not the fag end of an evening when you've been on it for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Was food taken off people? I must have been lucky but we got food (sandwiches, crisps, biscuits) and bottles of water in no problem over the three days.

I guess joking with the security staff on day one is always a good idea. :)

I really don't understand the poser comments. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Really enjoyable day out yesterday. Good work MCD

Question - were ALL the security from the UK? Don't think I heard a Dublin accent from any of them over the weekend. And all I encountered were bang on, decent, sound and helpful - a huge plus in my book compared to the usual crew of howyas usually hired for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Getting food and 'water' in was no problem for me either both days I went. I thought it was funny how if you had a bag they didn't bother searching you but if not they patted you down. Buses were great, got one easily both nights. Taking the whole day ticket was a bit much - I don't bother but I know people who collect them and also handy for getting in free to the foals dj in the academy on friday. Musical highlights were foals, yyys and half moon run.
    Really enjoyable day out yesterday. Good work MCD

Question - were ALL the security from the UK? Don't think I heard a Dublin accent from any of them over the weekend. And all I encountered were bang on, decent, sound and helpful - a huge plus in my book compared to the usual crew of howyas usually hired for these things.

Actually met my cousin working security there who's a dub and told me basically its a scottish company who ship over 70% of their own guys supplemented with 30% Irish guys who work for the companies over here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

At Mumford and Sons it was the same , didnt hear any Irish people working security

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Mcd have contracted everything out to a UK company- security, some catering, bar installation and maintenance.

Bastards done my dad out of some decent overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Was at the Festival Saturday and Sunday.
    Only found the Red Bull Stage in the woods yesterday.
    It was really cool, the highlight of the weekend for me actually.

Very easy venue to get to but difficult to get away from on Saturday night.

Kraftwerk and Vampire weekend were brilliant.

"We are the Robots"

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭smilgy

At Mumford and Sons it was the same , didnt hear any Irish people working security

I was working at the gig the night before and there was an Irish security company there, Frontline Security they were i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

"We are the Robots"

In my head all day! Had an absolutely brilliant time yesterday. Zero complaints :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Was at the Festival Saturday and Sunday.
    Only found the Red Bull Stage in the woods yesterday.
    It was really cool, the highlight of the weekend for me actually.

Very easy venue to get to but difficult to get away from on Saturday night.

Kraftwerk and Vampire weekend were brilliant.

"We are the Robots"

Kraftwerks set was impressive is just I have my reservations about what four of them were actually doing up there.... and the forest stage was a nice setup, and I caught Lanegan and the YYY's chick was entertaining. Nice day in the park regardless!

Advertisement