Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Heroditas wrote: »
    100% agree on buying the frame as well as screen.
    I've had to replace the screen twice on mine.
    The second time I only accidentally ordered the screen, not the screen and frame.
    It is an absolute b@stard to get the screen out of the frame. I thought I'd go insane doing it and that was even with a very powerful hairdryer to heat it up. There were fragments of glass everywhere.
    Still got it done though, despite about an hour of chipping fragments of glass!

I hope I ordered the right thing now, the ebay description was 'LCD Screen Display Touch Digitizer for LG E960 Google Nexus 4 Frame Replacement' but further on down in the page it says 'Replacement black lcd display touch screen digitizer Frame'....it cost approx €60 so i'm hoping its the proper kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I hope I ordered the right thing now, the ebay description was 'LCD Screen Display Touch Digitizer for LG E960 Google Nexus 4 Frame Replacement' but further on down in the page it says 'Replacement black lcd display touch screen digitizer Frame'....it cost approx €60 so i'm hoping its the proper kit.

€60 sounds about right. It used to be double that price but parts are a lot cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Raoul

That is the one I got. Slight bleeding on the screen also, forgot to mention that. But it is still really good and saves you nearly 100 euro.

edit- the price has gone up as I only paid 53 incl shipping and that was about 3 weeks ago. Delivery took ages though.

Started the screen replacement process, it was all going well until i had to take the battery out. There was smoke, a few sparks and a smell of buringing as i was trying to pry the battery off, it looks like the foil seal on the battery is pierced.

Would it be unwise to try and put that battery back?

Started the screen replacement process, it was all going well until i had to take the battery out. There was smoke, a few sparks and a smell of buringing as i was trying to pry the battery off, it looks like the foil seal on the battery is pierced.

I wouldn't advise reusing it!

• Advertisement

That is a bit strange, did you disconnect it first before trying to remove? New batterys aren't that expensive on ebay!

Raoul wrote: »
    That is a bit strange, did you disconnect it first before trying to remove? New batterys aren't that expensive on ebay!

Yeah, i was using the thing that resembled a plectrum to pry it out and it pierced the battery, battery was disconnected at the time.

The filter for the led was missing on my one too, I've contacted the seller.

Hopefully the battery is fecked now as it isn't powering on even when i try it just to boot up.

Yeah, i was using the thing that resembled a plectrum to pry it out and it pierced the battery, battery was disconnected at the time.

The filter for the led was missing on my one too, I've contacted the seller.

Hopefully the battery is fecked now as it isn't powering on even when i try it just to boot up.

Well as I said I ended up getting 60 percent off my screen. So make sure to complain about it and hopefully you will get a battery cheap enough online.

Well as I said I ended up getting 60 percent off my screen. So make sure to complain about it and hopefully you will get a battery cheap enough online.

I contacted them originally to tell them about it and they said they ere sorry and that as a workaround I could use a piece of white paper. I've since got back to them saying that I'm not happy with this.

Battery due to arrive today so hopefully I have a working phone again by the end of the day. I've been terribly productive in work since I haven't had a phone!

I contacted them originally to tell them about it and they said they ere sorry and that as a workaround I could use a piece of white paper. I've since got back to them saying that I'm not happy with this.

Battery due to arrive today so hopefully I have a working phone again by the end of the day. I've been terribly productive in work since I haven't had a phone!

That is weird they were very accommodating for me. Not sure how you could use a white piece of paper as you can't access anywhere to put it in.

• Advertisement

That is weird they were very accommodating for me. Not sure how you could use a white piece of paper as you can't access anywhere to put it in.

An apology and £3 refund is what I've been offered.

I've the screen fitted now and its back working normally, I don't want to be without a phone anymore.

I've replied and said I'm not happy with their response and that I know it has happened previously.

An apology and £3 refund is what I've been offered.

I've the screen fitted now and its back working normally, I don't want to be without a phone anymore.

I've replied and said I'm not happy with their response and that I know it has happened previously.
    Yeah that is a bit ****ty actually. Wonder why they were so generous to me.

The head phone jack on my phone has fecked up. There was no additional double sided tape/the new case wasn't very sticky so it won't stick down and because of that I can only hear music in one ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anybody ever had issues with not receiving text messages on the Nexus.

I am on 3 UK and not received a text in 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Screen broke :( dropped it earlier hit the bottom left corner got a crack half way up on the right side and the top half of the screen doesn't work.

The last link posted is showing out of stock. The sellers I'm finding are showing UK but delivery could take 3-20 days, UK my hole :rolleyes: any suggestions? Also tried spareslg but it's coming in over €100.

user2011 wrote: »
    Screen broke :( dropped it earlier hit the bottom left corner got a crack half way up on the right side and the top half of the screen doesn't work.

The last link posted is showing out of stock. The sellers I'm finding are showing UK but delivery could take 3-20 days, UK my hole :rolleyes: any suggestions? Also tried spareslg but it's coming in over €100.

Even if it says 3-20 days, from experience, I've for the replacement screen within three days

Make sure you are getting the frame too! Saves a lot of hassle.

It looks like the same seller but in my amazon link it doesn't say anything about the frame?

Tbh I was hoping to use spareslg site when i realized it was broke but the price is just to high. The way my day has panned out it feels like i'd pick one and it'd be wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anyone have 5.1 yet? Conflicting reports online about whether it returned to proper silent mode or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Got it last night for my 2012 Nexus 7 and I would say it's not a proper silent mode , I set it to silent last night and media was still set to half way .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The factory image for the Nexus 4 isn't live yet so I don't think the OTA will have started either :(
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I wish they'd hurry the fúck up! I know they have more devices to maintain than ever now, but since Lollipop first came out they have been very slow with updating the Nexus 4 and some other older devices. Even (cr)Apple manage to get all their devices updated at the same time. If (cr)Apple can update the iPhone 4s, a 2011 phone, alongside their newer devices to iOS 8 at the same time, then why can't Google do the same? Google are really pissing me off lately for a number of reasons, I don't know about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

What pisses me off, is that everytime Google update their app, or play services, my battery takes a hammering.
    I have long since come to the conclusion that there is some battery hunger hardware component in my phone related to the radio.
    Lollipop just ate my battery . eg 8 hours of very light use
    Reverted back to custom kitkat rom , battery ok with full days use (14-16hrs)
    Then last week (end of march sometime)battery started only lasting work day. (Turned out Google app had updated) so turned off location and Google now. Battery back to 14-16hrs.
    Then Google updated play services. Battery back at approx 8 hrs.
    Effectively all the battery drain that I tried to avoid on lollipop, Google has allowed me enjoy on kitkat!
    (Have constant "stay awake" with Google play services eating up the battery., dispute turning off any location/stay awake/ request using a custom ROM security feature. Really annoying)

Since updating to lollipop my battery has gone to Sh!t. Even with the help of amplify/xposed.

When I was on KitKat I had battery drain of 1-2% overnight now on lollipop its anywhere from 20-30%.

Looking at BBS msm_hsic_host was on for over 11 hours which kept my phone awake too. Something to do with 3g modem waking then not going back to sleep.

Seriously thinking going back to KitKat. Anyone any ideas other then going back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Backup data and photos and then a full factory reset?
    I upgraded an N4 without any issues on lollipop.
    Most problems on lollipop are app rather than OS issues, particularly apps like Facebook and WhatsApp. Do a complete factory reset and slowly add back apps you really need and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

user2011 wrote: »
    Since updating to lollipop my battery has gone to Sh!t. Even with the help of amplify/xposed.

When I was on KitKat I had battery drain of 1-2% overnight now on lollipop its anywhere from 20-30%.

Looking at BBS msm_hsic_host was on for over 11 hours which kept my phone awake too. Something to do with 3g modem waking then not going back to sleep.

Seriously thinking going back to KitKat. Anyone any ideas other then going back?

That's weird. My battery improved loads with Lollipop. Wasn't lasting a day on Kitkat, does so (mostly) now.

Did the reset Wednesday, only thing that improved was the time it took to charge, dropped from 4+ hours to a bit over 2.

I've all the same wakelocks/alarms limited as in KitKat but drain is way over board here.

My phone seems to get to 20 percent and then just randomly die!

• Advertisement

I let the battery go down completely yesterday left for a few hours, charged it up in the evening just before I went to bed. It dropped 6%. It was the same thing giving the drain it was awake for an hour and a half.

Advertisement