Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

my skype won't work over wifi either since I updated to lollipop

I couldn't get online on it on Sunday.

I uninstalled and reinstalled again. It works perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I couldn't get online on it on Sunday.

I uninstalled and reinstalled again. It works perfectly now.

I've tried a few times installing & uninstalling but still have issues. Over wifi, my status is always invisible & cannot be changed though I can make calls. Once I turn off wifi & go to 3G my profile switches straight away to available. Strange!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, phone turned itself off this evening. Didn't see it happening as such. Was on the bus, used about 8MB of data. Turned off the data and put the phone in my breast coat pocket. Took it back out and the phone was off. Was at about 85% battery before this. Is there some way of checking what happened, say in a system log, or something like that? Hopefully just a once off glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Does flashing a system image void your warranty?

I got a replacement Nexus 4 tonight and it had 4.2.2 on it so I set about flashing the Lollipop system image but it got stuck on the loading screen. I flashed it again and again but still stuck. I have tried Kitkat and Jellybean since then but no go.

Edit: Fixed it, cleared the cache...should have tried that first :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Anyone else having problems when they go into settings?

Specifically into Wi-Fi? Mine hangs 90% of the time and eventually "settings" crashes. Incredibly annoying.

In general, this is by far the worst Android update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

keith16 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems when they go into settings?

Specifically into Wi-Fi? Mine hangs 90% of the time and eventually "settings" crashes. Incredibly annoying.

In general, this is by far the worst Android update.

Did you flash the factory image or was it an ota update ? If so , have you tried a factory reset (back up your valuabes first)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I'm not sure if it's just the fact that I got a OnePlus One the same day, but ever since I've upgraded to Lollipop OTA the phone has seemed very, very sluggish. Google Search app randomly crashing (even when not in use) as well.
    I really like the lollipop features and visual style, but it's really running like a dog on my older devices. (Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 2012.) To be fair the N7 was performing badly well before the update, but the N4 was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Havent been able to get on playstore all day with a no connection error. Uninstalled store updates, cleared cache, force stopped it, rebooted the phone ive just removed my account and that to is saying no connection when i try to add it back. Any other ideas?

user2011 wrote: »
    Havent been able to get on playstore all day with a no connection error. Uninstalled store updates, cleared cache, force stopped it, rebooted the phone ive just removed my account and that to is saying no connection when i try to add it back. Any other ideas?

Finally got it uninstalled playstore reinstalled it, tried a few times last night to sign with the no connection stuff frebooted the phone this morning and tried it. Pain in the hole but sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Hmm, phone turned itself off this evening. Didn't see it happening as such. Was on the bus, used about 8MB of data. Turned off the data and put the phone in my breast coat pocket. Took it back out and the phone was off. Was at about 85% battery before this. Is there some way of checking what happened, say in a system log, or something like that? Hopefully just a once off glitch.

This has happened me a few times too.
    I had it happen to me once or twice before Lollipop but since I upgraded it's happened a couple of times in a couple of weeks, so it's got worse.

No idea what's causing it. You could try looking in Logcat for errors.
    I believe there are apps you can install to view logcat logs or you can use adb. A quick Google brought up this guide on how to access the logcat logs http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1726238

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Recently dropped my phone . Couldn't believe when i saw a crack as it was only from the height of the couch. The glass doesnt seem to be that strong at all. It the second one i've broke this year. Dont fancy forking out another €110 to get it fixed from a shop. Can anyone recommend a seller on ebay as i plan to give it a go myself this time round.

Playstore is gone again :mad:

This time it's saying Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped working

I've googled this tried the clearing the play services data and reinstalling but nothing so f**king annoying. Haven't been able to get on playstore since the Saturday.

Anyone offer any help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

user2011 wrote: »
    Playstore is gone again :mad:

This time it's saying Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped working

I've googled this tried the clearing the play services data and reinstalling but nothing so f**king annoying. Haven't been able to get on playstore since the Saturday.

Anyone offer any help please?

Have you tried removing your google account from the phone, and then re-adding it?
    This happened to me a few weeks ago and that was my only solution.

Just updated to android 5.01. You tube not working. Anyone else experiencing this?

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Have you tried removing your google account from the phone, and then re-adding it?
    This happened to me a few weeks ago and that was my only solution.

Just tried these. Removed account, uninstalled playstore, clear play services data, rebooted phone. Added account, Reinstalled playstore (5.1.11 if thats any help) it opened and I've 14 apps needing updated but won't update. I stopped the update and tried updating one but it crashes as soon as I accept app privileges with Google Play Stores has stopped working error. Also same when I remove my account and re add it, as soon as it's added the error appears.

I'm guessing my only fix for this is a reset of the phone :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

jgbyr wrote: »
    Just updated to android 5.01. You tube not working. Anyone else experiencing this?

My YouTube hasn't been working right since the 5.0 update.

Skype went on me last night. Couldn't take myself off of invisible. Deleted and installed again. Getting annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Phone keeps overheating and turning off when its on charge. Made me miss my alarm this morning :/ very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

5.01 OTA last night, it was only around 17MB so I doubt there's anything significant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone else having problems installing the 5.0.1 update? My wife's phone just comes up with an error screen during installation. The phone then rolls back the update and after a while it attempts to install it again with the same results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

I am just after getting the 5.0.1 update notification now , I obviously haven't been keeping up to date on this thread as I wasn't expecting it , installing now .

Phone keeps overheating and turning off when its on charge. Made me miss my alarm this morning :/ very annoying!

That scares me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

That scares me.

Yeah it was roasting hot this morning. Surprised it didn't explode :pac: Ah well :L

Yeah it was roasting hot this morning. Surprised it didn't explode :pac: Ah well :L

Try putting it on airplane mode. That cools mine down in no length.

It shouldn't be overheating in winter really unless you're using a ton of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Mine's been randomly turning off since the lollipop update. Either turning off, or the screen just doesn't turn on. I have to press/hold the power button repeatedly for about 30 seconds until it starts up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

TPD wrote: »
    Mine's been randomly turning off since the lollipop update. Either turning off, or the screen just doesn't turn on. I have to press/hold the power button repeatedly for about 30 seconds until it starts up again.

Started happening to mine also since I updated to 5.0.1 (did a fresh install). Some apps seem to force close every now and again too which was never happening before. Hopefully 5.0.2 will be on the way shortly!

This started a few months ago to mine with kitkat & it's the same on 5.0 & 5.01, though it's not shutting down as frequently as kitkat.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

jgbyr wrote: »
    This started a few months ago to mine with kitkat & it's the same on 5.0 & 5.01, though it's not shutting down as frequently as kitkat.

It used to happen to me as well on KitKat. I decided to get rid of the official Facebook and Twitter apps (nothing to do with the shutdowns, I just found nicer alternatives and made a bit of space on the phone) and since deleting them it hasn't happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

bluesfan wrote: »
    It used to happen to me as well on KitKat. I decided to get rid of the official Facebook and Twitter apps (nothing to do with the shutdowns, I just found nicer alternatives and made a bit of space on the phone) and since deleting them it hasn't happened at all.

I don't have either app, unfortunately. Would happily get rid of them! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I don't have either app, unfortunately. Would happily get rid of them! :p

I don't have either and it's still crashing from time to time.

Advertisement