Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Done here too.
    30 mins from download to full install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Got mine pretty slick update looks allot different, email looklooks allot better. Flash light in the swipe down menu is a good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Finally just got it on mine, however Google Search is randomly crashing every so often. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I really like it. I'm not a fan of the lack of a tab button in Google Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Neither am I. You can change it back to normal in Chrome settings.

• Advertisement

Ya is annoying, but if u hit the square in the bottom right you will find all the tabs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

What launcher are you using with the update? Stock looks boring and Google now launcher forgot to do something with the space at the bottom of the app drawer making it look unfinished its also white.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just got it letting it install now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Dear lord, the battery improvements on 5.0 are crazy.
    Installed, did a factory wipe and a full charge.

With moderate usage I'd be at around 40% now.(Since 7am)

With heavy, heavy usage and screen on time due to messing with Lollipop I'm still at 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Mine updated at last. Pretty good, seems smooth and fast. I don't like the app drawer though or the default keyboard.

The lollipop Easter egg is an impossible version of flappy bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just got it myself. Will take some getting used to but like it so far.
    EGriff wrote: »
    Mine updated at last. Pretty good, seems smooth and fast. I don't like the app drawer though or the default keyboard.

The lollipop Easter egg is an impossible version of flappy bird.

Have to agree on those points, not mad on the app drawer and particularly the keyboard but I'll get used to them no doubt.

You can change the keyboard back in the settings, I just changed it to the dark version of the new style for now.

Another thing I noticed is that one app (reddit sync) turned the on screen button bar blue to match the rest of the app. Every other app just leaves it as a black bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

You can change the keyboard back in the settings, I just changed it to the dark version of the new style for now.

Agreed , I changed mine to Holo White and it practically the same as the old one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The dialler/phone application looks like a crazed colouring book. Not a big fan of it, but otherwise ok I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Any one else missing the smart faces unlock option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Not liking it so far. To much of the time seems to have gone on to the look of it rather than the usability.
    App drawer is horrible. Dialer is for a 12yr old. Some of the menu and and settings are not even consistent across Google Apps.
    The notification pull down shade is a step back I feel.
    The notification priority / lack of full silent mode is overly complicated. Can you imagine a non technical person that only wants to have the basic functions of an Android phone trying to figure out how to set up the notifications. (I am thinking of my 74 yr old parents - I will be scourged trying to explain how to set up the phone to go on silent at bedtime!)

Haven't noticed any battery improvements yet but will monitor over the next few days.
    There's a lot of lag on chrome and the keyboard so maybe a factory reset is on the way for me!

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Any one else missing the smart faces unlock option?

You have to set a pattern or pin lock first, then scroll down to where it says trust agents, enable smart lock there and then the smart lock option is available.

Smart lock lets you face unlock or keep the phone unlocked in certain places or when connected to certain devices. Pretty handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone else feel like there's WiFi issues with this update? Mine cuts out every so often.

I, for one, like the new colour of the drop-down menu.

Will my alarm still sound in the morning if I have it in priority mode?

My youtube app seems to be shagged. It won't play any videos and when I try to play a video from chrome it opens m.youtube.com in a new tab instead of the app and won't play in there either.

Turning off nuPlayer in developer options doesn't fix it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Can anyone else not tag they're friends in comments on Facebook anymore? So annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Is there any way of getting notification settings on a lock screen like they used to be? Without the preview but with the icon in the top corner? Or even to change the notifications you can see on the screen to only messages?

Is anyone else having problems with videos? Nothing plays for me, Youtube, facebook videos or anything in the browser. Sometimes the sound plays but no picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Where's the best and quickest place to get the screen on a nexus 4 fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Is anyone else having problems with videos? Nothing plays for me, Youtube, facebook videos or anything in the browser. Sometimes the sound plays but no picture.

Yeah mine won't play videos at all since the lollipop upgrade. I assume they know about it and we'll get a fix soon. I hope.

Yeah mine won't play videos at all since the lollipop upgrade. I assume they know about it and we'll get a fix soon. I hope.

Mine is working again, I went into developer options and disabled nuPlayer and rebooted. The YouTube app and Facebook videos work now.

The only problem I have now is that videos I click on in chrome open in a new tab on m.YouTube.com instead of the YouTube app.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

I have flashed back to KitKat. Was having the "mobile radio active " battery drain (not an easy one to google. I may now be marked as some budding terrorist, looking in to a transportable nuclear device)
    Anyway, on the battery stats, chrome was using up huge amounts of the battery (40-50%), having only used it for minutes. When I clicked on it, mobile radio showed itself to have been active for hours. This is true for others apps also. Don't know if it is a reporting thing or some issue where the radio turned on and left on by apps (mobile radio activity is not reported in KitKat stats, as far as I can see, but could be wrong).Also, the phone was getting quite hot when used for more than a few minutes, especially when browsing recently, even before lollipop update. Thought it was the battery on the way out, hence the new batt.
    So that's why i flashed stock KitKat. Battery lasting a statisfing 16+ hours now (did get a new battery last week, but with lollipop , was only getting 7-8 hrs) .
    Anyway, seems that others have gotten same thing . I flashed lollipop originally from the aosp image. Will now try the ota upgrade in a few days to see if that makes any difference.
    Having played with lollipop for the week+ , thought it was OK. Not that mad about the notifications on the lock screen, (too easy for others to view, access) and also prefer kitkats pull down bar/ two finger settings access. So no rush back.
    Just thought I'd share, in case others are having odd battery usage stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I recently flashed the lollipop factory image & have noticed since that Skype will not connect over wifi, only 3G. I've removed & redownloaded the app but it makes no difference. I can see my profile as connected over 3G but once I connect to wifi it immediately changes to invisible.
    Has anyone had Skype issues on lollipop or is it my own settings causing a problem. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

jgbyr wrote: »
    I recently flashed the lollipop factory image & have noticed since that Skype will not connect over wifi, only 3G. I've removed & redownloaded the app but it makes no difference. I can see my profile as connected over 3G but once I connect to wifi it immediately changes to invisible.
    Has anyone had Skype issues on lollipop or is it my own settings causing a problem. Thanks

my skype won't work over wifi either since I updated to lollipop

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Where's the best and quickest place to get the screen on a nexus 4 fixed

When I broke mine I ordered a screen and fixing kit on line and then watched a vid on YouTube how to fix it, its not too tricky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Still having problems using WiFi when Bluetooth is on. Wish they would fix it.

Advertisement