Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine won't power off any more. Or rather, the option to shut down doesn't appear when holding the power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know the best place to buy a replacement battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Mine won't power off any more. Or rather, the option to shut down doesn't appear when holding the power button.

Would say" have you tried turning it off and on again" but....

Is it a hardware thing? As in, is the the power button functioning at all eg knocking off the screen with a quick press?

Custom rom or ?
    Holding the power button for 30 secs should restart it, which I'm guessing you've trief

:p
    Anyone know the best place to buy a replacement battery?

I got one through eBay, and happened to be a Dublin stockist. Advertised as an original, but when it arrived it was a few mm shorter than the original. Used it anyway.
    Was better than the battery it replaced, but really, it was the os that was killing my battery, so can't say for absolute certain that the battery I got was 100% kosher, but it wasnt bad. That was last nov and it is still ok.
    Battery life still poor(but always was for me. Have come to the conclusion that it is something with the radio/modem/antenna hardware that eats poweron my particular phone)
    Any way it was on eBay , with a seller called shoppingexchange. Was €15, so wasn't breaking the bank, and as I said , still as it was (so consistanly holding its charge )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Slevster wrote: »
    :p

I got one through eBay, and happened to be a Dublin stockist. Advertised as an original, but when it arrived it was a few mm shorter than the original. Used it anyway.
    Was better than the battery it replaced, but really, it was the os that was killing my battery, so can't say for absolute certain that the battery I got was 100% kosher, but it wasnt bad. That was last nov and it is still ok.
    Battery life still poor(but always was for me. Have come to the conclusion that it is something with the radio/modem/antenna hardware that eats poweron my particular phone)
    Any way it was on eBay , with a seller called shoppingexchange. Was €15, so wasn't breaking the bank, and as I said , still as it was (so consistanly holding its charge )
    You'd have gotten an original for a tad bit extra from here:
    http://www.spareslg.com/bateria-lg-e960-nexus-4-lg-optimus-g-e975-eac61898601.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would say" have you tried turning it off and on again" but....

Is it a hardware thing? As in, is the the power button functioning at all eg knocking off the screen with a quick press?

Custom rom or ?
    Holding the power button for 30 secs should restart it, which I'm guessing you've trief

Stock rom. Seems to have sorted itself out yesterday anyway.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You'd have gotten an original for a tad bit extra from here:
    http://www.spareslg.com/bateria-lg-e960-nexus-4-lg-optimus-g-e975-eac61898601.html
    That is coming to over 31e when you add on taxes and delivery, I think I will take my chances with trying to get a genuine one from eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Stock rom. Seems to have sorted itself out yesterday anyway.

Happens to me very occasionally. I fix it by holding down the power and volume down buttons together until it reboots.

I went for this replacement battery in the end, ships from Dublin and came to less than half of the cost of ordering direct from LG. Not 100% certain it is a genuine one but I will post here how I get on with it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/For-LG-Google-Nexus-4-E960-Genuine-BL-T5-High-Capacity-Battery-2100mah-Last-Long-/111483620283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item19f4f10bbb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭ooter

2 years ago yesterday I got my hands on my nexus, still a great little phone..

• Advertisement

I went for this replacement battery in the end, ships from Dublin and came to less than half of the cost of ordering direct from LG. Not 100% certain it is a genuine one but I will post here how I get on with it.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/For-LG-Google-Nexus-4-E960-Genuine-BL-T5-High-Capacity-Battery-2100mah-Last-Long-/111483620283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item19f4f10bbb

Firstly for anyone looking this battery seems great so far, arrived on Monday, charged to 90% and it is still going (not heavy use admittedly).

Secondly now that this phone is usable I noticed it is still on 4.2. When I go to about phone and check for update it tells me none is available, any idea how to get the update without rooting or flashing a new ROM? I prefer to stay on stock if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm having a problem where my N4 powers off for no apparent reason, usually at nighttime. I have to power on the phone in the morning which is a bit of a pain as i use it as my alarm.

The battery has plenty of charge at the time.

I have tried a factory reset but the issue won't go away.

If i turn off wifi or put the phone into airplane mode it seems to avoid the issue happening.

I did replace the battery a while back when i fecked up taking it out when replacing the screen so it could well be a dud battery. It's just strange that it took a few months to start happening.

I am running stock rom and have not tried a custom rom as of yet.

I've hopefully attached a screenshot of the battery usage of when the issue happens.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

It is fecked! Happened mine, happened my gfs and happening my mates now too. I don't think anything helps.

Really annoying as it seems to happen just outside of the warranty.

If you want to rule out lollipop for the power off, you could revert back to a kk ROM to see if it continues. (If rooted)
    Could be a rogue app doing something incompatible. (A recent update to a previously happy app)

Firstly for anyone looking this battery seems great so far, arrived on Monday, charged to 90% and it is still going (not heavy use admittedly).

Secondly now that this phone is usable I noticed it is still on 4.2. When I go to about phone and check for update it tells me none is available, any idea how to get the update without rooting or flashing a new ROM? I prefer to stay on stock if possible

Out of curiosity, was the new battery the same dimensions as the original you replaced (if you noticed)?

Out of curiosity, was the new battery the same dimensions as the original you replaced (if you noticed)?

Hard to tell because the original was slightly swollen due to damage, to the extent that the back cover would no longer close properly. If anything, it is slightly less wide, judging by the space for the antenna cable on the right hand side as you look at it. But it is a good fit overall.

Hard to tell because the original was slightly swollen due to damage, to the extent that the back cover would no longer close properly. If anything, it is slightly less wide, judging by the space for the antenna cable on the right hand side as you look at it. But it is a good fit overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Anyone else get an update today (or recently)?

I'm currently on 5.1.1 build number LMY47V and today got a 20MB system update. Looking on the Nexus Factory Images page there is a newer version, LMY48I.
    Not sure if this only released or if I somehow missed an update.

EDIT: After a quick Google I found some more info, http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/10/links-for-nexus-4-5-6-and-10-ota-updates-incoming-for-all-nexus-devices-to-fix-stagefright-vulnerability/
    It's a fix for the "Stagefright" vulnerability.

Fluffy88 wrote: »

I'm currently on 5.1.1 build number LMY47V and today got a 20MB system update. Looking on the Nexus Factory Images page there is a newer version, LMY48I.

EDIT: After a quick Google I found some more info, http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/10/links-for-nexus-4-5-6-and-10-ota-updates-incoming-for-all-nexus-devices-to-fix-stagefright-vulnerability/

I'm still on 4.2 and never received an OTA update!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Fluffy88 wrote: »

Yep I got the update last night & was curious about it too. Thanks for the link :)

• Advertisement

It may be my imagination, but my battery was a bit odd over the weekend and this morning. I've a feeling Hangouts might be the culprit. I updated the app a few days ago, but I never use it.

Battery was at 37% on Friday night, 21% the next morning. Was on a full charge today and was down to 79% by lunch, despite no data or texts. Looks like Hangouts was pulling down 16% or so of the battery earlier on.

Phone still restarting itself out of the blue a few times, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

System update tonight ? , installing now , I thought I was already on 5.1.1 , maybe not , will see in a few minutes .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

jonski wrote: »
    System update tonight ? , installing now , I thought I was already on 5.1.1 , maybe not , will see in a few minutes .

Stagefright update I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Installed. 7mb.
    Keep getting a 'unfortunately system UI has stopped' error
    I will not be a happy puppy if I have to do yet another factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Turns out there will now be monthly security updates for most Nexus products , last night's one being the first for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

That's good and bad...for rooted folks. My OTAs always fail even if I do a cleanup in SuperSU so I just flash the system partition without wiping the data, which is a quickest way, but I have some system apps (security ones) that I need to copy back over when the process is complete and I doubt I'm the only one.

We need an setting in the Developer Options to enable root with Google's stock ROMs. I think CyanogenMod has one? Speaking of which, I hope Cyanogen don't take forever to release a stable (enough) Marshmallow because if we're really being left out by Google (as per their terms), it'd be good to get Doze and whatnot ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Any ideas how to get nexus 4 screen onto a yoga android tablet?

Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

user2011 wrote: »

Got it.

https://xkcd.com/979/

Don't be that guy.

user2011 wrote: »

Got it.

How would that work? Or why /for what purpose ?

• Advertisement

https://xkcd.com/979/

Don't be that guy.

Oh so true.

The annoyance

Advertisement