Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

5.1 is here :)

I am going to try to side load it tomorrow night. Anyone else going to give it a go sooner?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/04/nexus-4-lollipop-5-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Flashed 5.1 last night

Hoped they had addressed the mobile radio active issue. Doesn't look like it. (For my phone anyway)

Anyone else get "mobile radio active" on for hours? Eg use chrome to search for something for a minute or two, exit out of the app , then view the battery stats an hour or two later, to see that chrome has used a huge amount of power

Seems to be a common but not hugely widespread issue (across different phone brands too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Slevster wrote: »
    Flashed 5.1 last night

Hoped they had addressed the mobile radio active issue. Doesn't look like it. (For my phone anyway)

Anyone else get "mobile radio active" on for hours? Eg use chrome to search for something for a minute or two, exit out of the app , then view the battery stats an hour or two later, to see that chrome has used a huge amount of power

Seems to be a common but not hugely widespread issue (across different phone brands too)

yeah still have apps showing with mobile radio active time even though I have my wifi set to always on (and the battery app shows it as on so there should be no need to send data on the mobile network)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think I last posted here after my 4 turned itself off. It did so again last night, and just now this evening. Both times the date/time were out of sync (don't mind that, just wondering what's going on).

Last night it was at 63% battery, I turned on flight mode and plugged in to charge. I woke up at about 4:20am. It was fully charged. I couldn't get back to sleep, turned out wifi, had a look around boards. Got up for work around 6, phone was off. This evening I got home with about 80% battery. Had a bite to eat, listened to the radio...came back upstairs the phone was off.

Is this something I can ignore, or will it get worse? I'm a fairly light user.

I think I last posted here after my 4 turned itself off. It did so again last night, and just now this evening. Both times the date/time were out of sync (don't mind that, just wondering what's going on).

Last night it was at 63% battery, I turned on flight mode and plugged in to charge. I woke up at about 4:20am. It was fully charged. I couldn't get back to sleep, turned out wifi, had a look around boards. Got up for work around 6, phone was off. This evening I got home with about 80% battery. Had a bite to eat, listened to the radio...came back upstairs the phone was off.

What version are you running ?( kitkat, lollipop, or custom)
    Updated recently?
    Phone get hot during use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry, yeah. It's stock 5.0.1. Haven't noticed any temperature issues with the handset. Only update apps, tbh.

lynchie wrote: »
    yeah still have apps showing with mobile radio active time even though I have my wifi set to always on (and the battery app shows it as on so there should be no need to send data on the mobile network)

I have noticed this also - last week I ran over my 2GB data package and I had about 5 days to go before it refreshed. WiFi is set to always on but I noticed on my bill that there was data usage in the middle of the night when I was at home asleep in bed when it should have been using WiFi if it needed to.

Have not had the chance to update to 5.1 yet but this Lollipop thing is really not great at all. Its the Windows Vista of Android I think

Might be worth letting your battery run down completely and then charging completely.
    (Could be your battery on the way out)

Got the 5.1 update notification, installing it now.

Installed the update, updated a few apps afterwards. It's saying it's going to take Chrome an hour to update...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I updated last night. Haven't noticed any huge improvements yet but it hasn't turned itself off or overheated either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What's it like? Any improvements?

Think mine rebooted out of the blue earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Update came up on the phone so I clicked it and its been saying "waiting to download" for about a half an hour now. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

^^^^^ ditto

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

The download took and age on my n4 and n7, then the update took about an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Its just updated and then the update notification came back k so I don't know if it actually worked or not 😂 took too long so I'm not doing it again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I go the update notification yesterday and got the waiting to download message when I went to do it.

I for got that my phone was unlocked and rooted so the install failed.

I'm happy enough on 5.0.1 and don't fancy the whole unrooting the phone again and losing my current setup.

Is it worth it doing?

Had to bite the bullet yesterday.
    Phone was acting the dog – I updated to 5.1 and gave it a few days to bed down but it was appalling.
    Battery was going from 25% to 0% in the space of 6 hours when the phone was not in use on at my bedside overnight. WTF – the phone was not in use at all and was set to priority mode and went from 25 to 0 in 6 hours. Not good. Looking at the battery stats it was showing awake 100% of the time. Lag was appalling. Apps were crashing and just in general acting the maggot

I did a wipe cache partition and that made zero improvement so I did the full factory reset and that seems to have helped. Battery is now at 51% after I unplugged at 3.30 am this morning and with moderate use. Lag has also improved but will need to give it a few days to make a full decision if its better

Lollipop really is a bit a disaster if it takes a full hard reset and a lot of tinkering to get it working. It took a good 2 hours of messing with the phone last night to get it set up again and I would call myself a power user. I would hate to think what effort a regular user would need to put in to have their phone up and running smoothly after this joke of an update.
    Google have dropped the ball here big time. All well and good making the OS look pretty (Material Design to me is a bit ughhh anyway) but if they can’t get it to work out of the box then no wonder people give out about phones and switch to iPhones!
    I will have to go through the same process with my wife’s Moto G as she is complaining like mad that the phone is almost unusable after upgrading to 5.0.1 last week. Not looking forward to having to do that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

I had the same massive battery issue also when I upgraded to 5.1. The culprit seemed to be a media indexer (I can't remember the exact name from the battery usage monitor). However, after 2 days it settled down to a normal battery usage profile.
    Had to bite the bullet yesterday.
    Phone was acting the dog – I updated to 5.1 and gave it a few days to bed down but it was appalling.
    Battery was going from 25% to 0% in the space of 6 hours when the phone was not in use on at my bedside overnight. WTF – the phone was not in use at all and was set to priority mode and went from 25 to 0 in 6 hours. Not good. Looking at the battery stats it was showing awake 100% of the time. Lag was appalling. Apps were crashing and just in general acting the maggot

I did a wipe cache partition and that made zero improvement so I did the full factory reset and that seems to have helped. Battery is now at 51% after I unplugged at 3.30 am this morning and with moderate use. Lag has also improved but will need to give it a few days to make a full decision if its better

Lollipop really is a bit a disaster if it takes a full hard reset and a lot of tinkering to get it working. It took a good 2 hours of messing with the phone last night to get it set up again and I would call myself a power user. I would hate to think what effort a regular user would need to put in to have their phone up and running smoothly after this joke of an update.
    Google have dropped the ball here big time. All well and good making the OS look pretty (Material Design to me is a bit ughhh anyway) but if they can’t get it to work out of the box then no wonder people give out about phones and switch to iPhones!
    I will have to go through the same process with my wife’s Moto G as she is complaining like mad that the phone is almost unusable after upgrading to 5.0.1 last week. Not looking forward to having to do that tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Unsure if its 5.1 related but my 4 has started randomly switching itself off or hard-crashing quite a bit lately when in the middle of being used. Seperate to the random turn-itself-off when in sleep mode that has meant I can't rely on e.g. alarm functions to get me up for 6am flights etc.

Have also recently had issues with Youtube streaming failing ("Unable to play content, retry later") which requires a reboot and magically streams fine.

Getting a bit p***ed off, the 4 is going to pot, my Nexus 7 (2012) was bricked for 3 months by lollipop and is now barely useable. I see the Nexus 9 is now available for what seems a decent price but I'm really reluctant to buy Google again after this experience. Are Samsung / Chinese branded Android devices as randomly unreliable? Still cant stomach going Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

darraghn wrote: »
    I had the same massive battery issue also when I upgraded to 5.1. The culprit seemed to be a media indexer (I can't remember the exact name from the battery usage monitor). However, after 2 days it settled down to a normal battery usage profile.

Whatsapp was my problem , eating away my battery at an unbelievable rate .

Unsure if its 5.1 related but my 4 has started randomly switching itself off or hard-crashing quite a bit lately when in the middle of being used. Seperate to the random turn-itself-off when in sleep mode that has meant I can't rely on e.g. alarm functions to get me up for 6am flights etc.

Have also recently had issues with Youtube streaming failing ("Unable to play content, retry later") which requires a reboot and magically streams fine.

Getting a bit p***ed off, the 4 is going to pot, my Nexus 7 (2012) was bricked for 3 months by lollipop and is now barely useable. I see the Nexus 9 is now available for what seems a decent price but I'm really reluctant to buy Google again after this experience. Are Samsung / Chinese branded Android devices as randomly unreliable? Still cant stomach going Apple.
    Ya I am still getting the YouTube error also - really annoying. That and all the cr*p they have added in like the whole silent mode set up junk and the fact that the led flashes at night even if I have it in priority mode (never did this on 5.0.1 or KitKat) makes me think that stock Android is going backwards. maybe its time to jump ship to something like LG or OnePlus etc.
    The Nexus devices have also become just as expensive as other high end gadgets and are now no longer worth the cash you would pay hence the p*ss poor sales figures of the N6 and N9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My screen won't work during a call, very awkward for top-ups, conference calls etc. Any known fix to this?

My screen won't work during a call, very awkward for top-ups, conference calls etc. Any known fix to this?

I found that you have to hold your finger down for several seconds and it'll then work.
    Pain in the neck though because before I found that (sometimes) works, I couldn't hang up after a call!

I had to resort to a reboot and then wipe the partition cache to get YouTube working.
    My wife's 2012 Nexus 7 s now a heap of junk but I might try a factory reset on it and see if that helps.

The last two iterations of Android have really put me off the O/S. I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had to resort to a reboot and then wipe the partition cache to get YouTube working.
    My wife's 2012 Nexus 7 s now a heap of junk but I might try a factory reset on it and see if that helps.

The last two iterations of Android have really put me off the O/S. I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

Completely agree with you - and I have a Nexus 4, 7 and a OnePlus One all in use at the moment. First software update seems to finish them and you need to go online just to make your phone work

I'm seriously contemplating buying an iPhone next.

Nooooooooo........
    Don't go to the dark side:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The thing about OTA updates is if you keep updating you'll end up with bugs, guaranteed, this is true for every OS, it's always better and cleaner to wipe and setup fresh
    Well except Apple devices because all they get in their updates is new icons
    :p

• Advertisement

Nooooooooo........
    Don't go to the dark side:D

Well, I'm kinda already having an affair insofar as I have an iPad for years! :D

Also, in terms of call quality, my work Blackberry Z30 is pretty bloody good.

Advertisement