Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Been back on KK for this past five days, the last 3 days my screen on time has been over 4 hours with about 20% left. I was only scratching 2 and a half on lollipop. Back in the happy camp.

Also charge time is just over 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Anyone finding that the screen jumps with 5.1? When I press one side of the screen sometimes whatever's on the other side presses instead. I have to turn the screen off and on again to get it back to normal :/
    Should be trading to an iPhone 5 soon anyway so it doesn't matter too much to me. Even though i told myself I'd never get an iPhone haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

When I go to google home screen after updates today it shows "get cards now" it fills 3/4 of the page.. I don't know why this has suddenly appeared.. I am still on KitKat as I chose not to update to 5.1..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    When I go to google home screen after updates today it shows "get cards now" it fills 3/4 of the page.. I don't know why this has suddenly appeared.. I am still on KitKat as I chose not to update to 5.1..

Update to the Google app yesterday caused issue for me also - screen kept re-drawing and the phone rebooted out of the blue twice. Wifes Moto G also had the 'Get Cards Now' even though she has been using Google Now for ages.

Google really are making a mess of updates lately

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Update to the Google app yesterday caused issue for me also - screen kept re-drawing and the phone rebooted out of the blue twice. Wifes Moto G also had the 'Get Cards Now' even though she has been using Google Now for ages.

Google really are making a mess of updates lately
    Hope this is fixed soon as it is annoying.. Never used google now or cards. No interest and also a very ugly white screen..
    Hope your sorted after your update..thank you for your reply,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 heiid4

The intention was to try get LTE 4G working, but I see from this thread that our 4g bands are incompatible with the modem, is this true, or has anyone in Ireland successfully got 4G on their nexus4 with an Irish mobile network?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

heiid4 wrote: »
    The intention was to try get LTE 4G working, but I see from this thread that our 4g bands are incompatible with the modem, is this true, or has anyone in Ireland successfully got 4G on their nexus4 with an Irish mobile network?!

Pretty sure it's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

heiid4 wrote: »

Not possible. The frequencies it supports are not used here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Dropped my phone last night, smashed the screen. The screen still comes on with the power button and still rings but the touch screen is shagged so it's unusable.

I've probably dropped it 50 times and it was always fine, must have landed in the worst possible way. Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Thinking of getting a Moto X to replace it, I like the one with the wood on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

EGriff wrote: »
    Dropped my phone last night, smashed the screen. The screen still comes on with the power button and still rings but the touch screen is shagged so it's unusable.

I've probably dropped it 50 times and it was always fine, must have landed in the worst possible way. Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

Thinking of getting a Moto X to replace it, I like the one with the wood on the back.

Take a look at this thread in bargain alerts.

• Advertisement

Take a look at this thread in bargain alerts.

Thanks for that, but they won't ship to Ireland or accept an Irish credit card so can't use parcel motel either. The orange site have them at a good price but I'm after the bamboo version and its more expensive and pretty much same price on expansys.

EGriff wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but they won't ship to Ireland or accept an Irish credit card so can't use parcel motel either. The orange site have them at a good price but I'm after the bamboo version and its more expensive and pretty much same price on expansys.

There's a few extra posts about purchasing from amazon.es and amazon.fr, one mentions the bamboo cover phone. Sure have a look.

Yeah I ordered from expansys in the end. Couldn't wait any longer, I have no phone at all at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

so i too have smashed my screen. Any recommendations for a cheap, fast replacement screen? thanks

donegal. wrote: »
    so i too have smashed my screen. Any recommendations for a cheap, fast replacement screen? thanks

It's straightforward enough to do if you can get somewhere that sells replacement screens at a reasonable price. That was the issue people were having last time it got discussed.

It's straightforward enough to do if you can get somewhere that sells replacement screens at a reasonable price. That was the issue people were having last time it got discussed.

i recon i could change it no bother, i'd change the frame and everything for handiness.
    looking on ebay it looks like it'll cost €60. does anyone know where i'd get a better price?

i recon i could change it no bother, i'd change the frame and everything for handiness.
    looking on ebay it looks like it'll cost €60. does anyone know where i'd get a better price?

I paid around €55 back in March, with the euro on the slide the prices are only going one way unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Have you tried amazon? Think when I replaced mine I got it for around fifty but euro is gone to sh!the against the pound don't think much difference. Just quick look on amazon is showing 32+ then delivery or 37.58 free delivery in UK.

some of the cheaper ones on amazon had bad reviews.

ended up ordering one on ebay for 45 / €66.

word of warning, if you're in one of those soft play areas / jungle gym places with the kids and you've put your phone in your back pocket to keep it safe, don't go down the coca cola slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its been a good almost 3 years with the nexus 4 but just getting fed up now with it.

When i turn screen on to unlock it, it seems to register lots of touches and goes hey wire on the screen lock i have to wait sometimes up to 5 mins for that to stop.

Even when sitting on the home screen the phone will start opening apps and going from one page to another on its own, tried a full reset and same thing happened.

Also tried everything but my laptop will not pick it up when it is connected to open it as storage but will still charge.

Just ordered the Moto X since it is way down in price and I will double my storage space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine still turns itself off now and then. Think this is mostly a Lollipop thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Mine still turns itself off now and then. Think this is mostly a Lollipop thing.

After not having this problem in months it's happened twice this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Mine has been very good recently. It used to power off or restart almost every day. In the past few months it's been completely reliable again. I can't say for sure when it stopped happening but it might have been the update to 5.1.1 that fixed it.

i just bolliking broke my new bolliking screen.

feck this. time for a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Broke my N4 screen last month after 18 months owning. I don't think it's worth replacing.

I'm back on my old Galaxy S2 at the moment but looking at a Moto X 2 or LG G3. Both have dropped in price. The smaller Z3 compact is also coming down in price.

What are people looking at as a N4 replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

magicmoves wrote: »

I wouldn't go for a Moto G to replace a Nexus 4, it has only 1 gig of RAM.

Moto X would be a better option, prices are dropping fast on them with a new one on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Having an issue whereby my phone keeps losing connection to 3G network without reconnecting automatically, so I have to manually select it several times a day. Not sure if it's a problem with the Three network or the phone, but it's really annoying.

Anyone any ideas for setting it to automatically connect to 3G where available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have a nexus 4 for sale if you're looking t replace your nexus 4 with a nexus 4 :P It had its screen replaced about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Having an issue whereby my phone keeps losing connection to 3G network without reconnecting automatically, so I have to manually select it several times a day. Not sure if it's a problem with the Three network or the phone, but it's really annoying.

Anyone any ideas for setting it to automatically connect to 3G where available?

Seen this problem with a lot of different makes and models not just Nexus4. What worked for me was to manually select the right network, make sure it's the right one there's three 3's listed, then go back into the select network menu and hit automatically connect to preferred network.

Advertisement