Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Lollipop on my Nexus 4.

329089.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jesus.. I've opposite reports with battery.

I upgraded OTA via sideload on Tuesday night and Nexus 4 was slow as a dog afterwards (2 - 3 seconds for app drawer to come up once clicked). Did a factory reset yesterday morning and it's an absolutely new phone since!

Rarely got a day out of my phone on KitKat, but charged my phone yesterday morning first thing and was at 15% until 4pm today (and then switched on 'Battery Saver' mode and was fine til I popped it in charger at 7pm this evening).

I'm massively impressed after the factory reset.. incredibly speedy and slick.. but thought it was horribly slow after update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Always worthwhile doing a factory reset after every OS update.
    A spring clean as such. I also use it as an excuse to remove all those apps you download but never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Lollipop on my Nexus 4.

329089.png

Do you just not use the phone? The screen was nearly on in all that time

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Got myself a new battery, which I fitted tonight. (Got it of eBay, from a crowd in ballymount. Sold as genuine, however it was smaller than the original by a few mm all round.)
    Will be interesting to see how it holds up.
    Still getting use to the lock screen notifications etc. Havent decided if i like them there or not. But overall, its all good.
    ( coincidentally, the phone had begun to slow in the days before I updated. Not sure why.)

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    Do you just not use the phone? The screen was nearly on in all that time
    I go days sometimes of barely using my phone, but I could compare those stats to the ones I had in KitKat during similar periods of feck-all use and it's about the same. No dramatic change in either direction. I'd get a day out of it with moderate to heavy use and in those feck-all use periods, I could get 3 days, which was always the case. I do remember when 4.3 came out that it went down to 2 days for a while and then Google updated it and it was back to normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

hi all
    i cant get my phone to connect to the internet when i'm in the north.
    i have data and data roaming enabled.

i'm with 3 and have ayce data. When i'm in the north i'm connected to 3uk and have no problem with calls/text.

is there some other setting i need to change on the phone or is the problem with 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Should I have got the OTA by now? Feels like I've been waiting ages.

My phone was rooted at one point, but I'm pretty sure I got the kit kat OTA update and the phone isn't rooted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Not got the ota on two devices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Still waiting on N4 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Charged mine yesterday evening. Left it on over night, not with flight mode, or anything. Wifi off. Down to 72% this morning, hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Still nothing for me either. Girlfriend got it 3 days ago, which makes the waiting worse. It looks pretty slick on her N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Paddy El

donegal. wrote: »
    hi all
    i cant get my phone to connect to the internet when i'm in the north.
    i have data and data roaming enabled.

i'm with 3 and have ayce data. When i'm in the north i'm connected to 3uk and have no problem with calls/text.

I had the same problem on my Nexus 4 with Three. No data anywhere outside of the Republic Of Ireland. Also, i was unable to access My3 directly from my phone. Phone settings were fine and Three said there were no restrictions on my account. They offered to have an engineer call me to try and sort it out but I didn't want the hassle. That and the constant having to switch airplane mode on and off to get 3G was enough to make me switch networks. I always suspected it was something to do with being sim only on an unlocked phone but I don't know.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you with your problem but at least you know it's probably not something you are doing that's causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭xtal191

Selling my Nexus 4, on my adverts page if anyone reading is interested in making an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Finally - got the message tonight that my phone (unrooted) was ready for the lollipop! It has made my night...its in the last stage now of installing - optimizing my 248 apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dots104

Just got the update now. is it worth doing a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Still waiting here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I plugged in my Nexus 4 on Saturday and noticed it was getting very hot, checked the end of the cable and it had almost melted (official Nexus 7 2013 charger) :eek: and now the charging port won't work at all, the port is fecked.

Does anyone have any experience of getting the charging port fixed? I'm charging it wirelessly for now but I'd rather have the phone back in full working order. I bought it last September, is the warranty for 1 year or 2?

I plugged in my Nexus 4 on Saturday and noticed it was getting very hot, checked the end of the cable and it had almost melted (official Nexus 7 2013 charger) :eek: and now the charging port won't work at all, the port is fecked.

Does anyone have any experience of getting the charging port fixed? I'm charging it wirelessly for now but I'd rather have the phone back in full working order. I bought it last September, is the warranty for 1 year or 2?
    Have you tried other cables and plugs since then?

The warranty is for 2 years but if the charger damaged the phone then you probably won't get very far since it's not the official Nexus 4 charger. But I'd say nothing about that if I was in your shoes. ;)

Here's the info from the LG site:
    http://www.lg.com/uk/support-mobile/lg-LGE960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Any one got lollipop yet? Got notification this evening and tried to download it but it failed what do I do now?, also have over a GB free soso that's not the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Any one got lollipop yet? Got notification this evening and tried to download it but it failed what do I do now?, also have over a GB free soso that's not the issue.

Are you rooted or have you changed any system files?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got it last night and installed today.

It hung just after optimizing Apps finished and needed a restart.

Other then that it was fine but to 1.5 hours to update.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Are you rooted or have you changed any system files?

Nope its as it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Nope its as it should be

Would it be that your battery level is too low?

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Would it be that your battery level is too low?

No its fine, I wonder is there a way to download it manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Just installing now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Still waiting (impatiently) on my n4 and n7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Same thing happened to mine couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

jonski wrote: »
    Just installing now :)

Done , and working grand , no sign of a slow down like I had with my N7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Downloaded it half an hour ago. I fear I'll have fallen asleep by the time it finishes.

Advertisement