Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

bluesfan wrote: »
    No sideloading needed, got a notification last night that an update was available for download. Been running it today and it's very good so far.

I've been trying to get mine to automatically get the update, but no joy. Did you do anything to get it to automatically pop up? I just keep checking for updates on mine :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

robo wrote: »
    I've been trying to get mine to automatically get the update, but no joy. Did you do anything to get it to automatically pop up? I just keep checking for updates on mine :confused:

It's completely random so their servers don't get overloaded

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2mgh8o/nexus_4_lollipop_ota_link_and_update_guide/

I'm attempting this guide. I"m on step 6, not sure how long it'll take. It'll go past 1%, I hope. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2mgh8o/nexus_4_lollipop_ota_link_and_update_guide/

I'm attempting this guide. I"m on step 6, not sure how long it'll take. It'll go past 1%, I hope. :/

Edit - never actually done it that way - let me know how you get on, says you don't have to be rooted, I assumed you would....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm abandoning it due to lack of knowledge and not wanting to go down any blind alleys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

DECEiFER wrote: »
    No problem. Have you tried the standalone driver ZIP from Google? If you continue to have trouble, use another PC (at your next opportunity) to see if it works there before writing it off.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

ADB isn't finding the phone. Looks like I need to change some settings but sure the screen isn't working so I can't change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

robo wrote: »

I just hit the check for updates every so often and it suddenly appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

There is no need to constantly check the Software updates on your phone, if you do happen to be lucky enough to get the update by manually checking, your only saving at most a few hours.

You basically get 1 chance everyday to get the OTA.
    Your phone will automatically check every so often, therefore repeating that check multiple times a day will not change your chances of getting the OTA.
    That's not to say that I don't check at least a few times a day this time of year :P

My explanation might be a little off, I got my info from this article, http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/20/google-engineer-dan-morrill-sheds-some-light-on-the-nexus-ota-process-urges-you-to-never-clear-google-service-framework-data/ where a Google engineer explains the process. It's a year ago since I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Should I leave slimkat and go back to stock to try lollipop? :). I presume you lose all your data if you flash stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Raoul wrote: »
    Should I leave slimkat and go back to stock to try lollipop? :). I presume you lose all your data if you flash stock.

It will require a full wipe yeah. Depends how curious you are. I wanted to flash it the second it was available but some people are happy to wait. After flashing it I can say, yeah it looks nicer but that's about it. Not really any feature included in it that makes me go wow. I do like how it tells you how long is left til full when charging.

If its not too hard you could always do a full backup of slimkat, test lollipop and decide then.

Haven't noticed any difference on my n4 but it has definitely improved the battery life on my n7 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cheers. I think I will wait. I have been wanting to flash it since it first came out but I just can't be bothered having to set all my stuff up again, especially as my phone is running really really well atm on slimkat.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

N4 giving jip lately. Tried manually sideloading the lollipop OTA update, but kept losing connection due to dodgy USB port/cable (Windows only recognises the device using the original cable the phone came with, which appears to be damaged). Gave up as afraid it was bound to disconnect right at the worst moment, waiting for it to appear OTA now.

The power button is starting to get unreliable lately, not recognising presses, or a long delay before registering the press. Sometimes the button stops responding while the screen is off, only way out is to hold down power+vol down to getinto the bootloader and restart from there. The occasional random reboot also.

The LED has stopped working too. Had lightflow installed, uninstalled that when the LED stopped working but makes no difference, still no LED notifications :(
    Hoping the upgrade to 5.0 fixes that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

5uspect wrote: »
    I flashed the factory image a couple of days ago.
    Its rather nice, very polished.

Oddly enough my Nexus 4 doesn't charge properly from my laptop's USB port anymore. Charges fine from the wall charger and the car however.
    Have you tried another computer? No issues here and I flashed the factory image, too.
    Q_Ball wrote: »
    ADB isn't finding the phone. Looks like I need to change some settings but sure the screen isn't working so I can't change anything
    Nothing in the bootloader (Vol- and Power)? That's where you flash from (not sure if you've ever flashed a Nexus factory image before, so please forgive me if you already know this stuff).

EDIT: Attached "fastboot" in case you need it.

Got the OTA notification - optimising apps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

OTA just finished installing. Notification centre is the most noticeable change I've seen so far.

Looking at the battery, mine says 76% approx. 2 hours left.

Is that talk time, or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I wonder does the method of clearing the clearing the data on the google framework services thing work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

No sign of L for my Nexus 4 yet but my 2012 N7 just got it

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm running lollipop on my Nexus 4 and all is well but I've noticed one thing which I don't know is local to me, a feature or a bug.

When the screen automatically turns itself off after 15 seconds, it appears to 'flash' before going black, has anyone else noticed this on there phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm running lollipop on my Nexus 4 and all is well but I've noticed one thing which I don't know is local to me, a feature or a bug.

When the screen automatically turns itself off after 15 seconds, it appears to 'flash' before going black, has anyone else noticed this on there phone?

Go into settings and the display, there's a screen animation setting which by the sound of it is set to electron beam. Not a bug if this is it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

keith16 wrote: »
    I wonder does the method of clearing the clearing the data on the google framework services thing work?

Probably would work but it ballsed up the play store and purchases for many people who tried it on previous OTA releases. I used to force it but not worth the risk or bother. It'll arrive for all users and devices over next week or so. Deployment percentages seem to have ramped up over last 48 hours. I'm still waiting on 3 devices to receive it.

I quiet like the new keyboard. Been using it for last week and much prefer it.
    You can change to it in advance of the OTA by updating the google keyboard app via Play store. Go into settings, language and input, keyboard, settings and select one of the new material design versions.

jozi wrote: »
    Go into settings and the display, there's a screen animation setting which by the sound of it is set to electron beam. Not a bug if this is it

I'm not seeing this option in Settings > Display
    I tried the new settings search feature for "Screen" and "Screen animation" but I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing this option in Settings > Display
    I tried the new settings search feature for "Screen" and "Screen animation" but I can't find it.

Must be a cyanogen thing, haven't got my nexus to hand and thought it might be the same.

If it's like an old tv switching off then its part of the os.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Got the OTA update last night. Installation was painless - took about 30 mins. Liking Lollopop so far - nice aesthetics but more importantly - to my eyes - faster than 4.4 - could be just the placebo effect though :)

jozi wrote: »
    Must be a cyanogen thing, haven't got my nexus to hand and thought it might be the same.

If it's like an old tv switching off then its part of the os.

I was thinking it might have been something from a custom ROM.

The KitKat effect was that of an old TV turning off, which surprisingly almost everyone loved.
    The Lollipop effect seems to be a very fast fade to black. To my eye the screen goes black and white, to a subtle flash of white, to black. Or something along those lines.
    I guess that's what illdoit2morrow was noticing.

When I saw your post I thought maybe we had the option to go back to the old TV style.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I was thinking it might have been something from a custom ROM.

The KitKat effect was that of an old TV turning off, which surprisingly almost everyone loved.
    The Lollipop effect seems to be a very fast fade to black. To my eye the screen goes black and white, to a subtle flash of white, to black. Or something along those lines.
    I guess that's what illdoit2morrow was noticing.

When I saw your post I thought maybe we had the option to go back to the old TV style.

Yeah that's what is happening. Once I'm not the only one its fine, I thought it might be something dodgy on my handset, but it appears not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Lots of people commenting on Lollipop improving speed/performance (I find this confusing as my phone has never been laggy in the slightest) but what's the impact on battery life like? I'll be looking to upgrade soon unless Lollipop significantly improves battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Lots of people commenting on Lollipop improving speed/performance (I find this confusing as my phone has never been laggy in the slightest) but what's the impact on battery life like? I'll be looking to upgrade soon unless Lollipop significantly improves battery life.

I upgraded my Nexus 4 using Wugfresh and the Lollipop build downloaded direct from Google.

My battery life has definitely improved, previously was using Cyanogenmod and I would be lucky to get 12 hours out of the phone. Now I seem to getting 18 hours plus with moderate usage. My Nexus 4 had been granted a stay of execution for a few more months it would seem.

Overall impressions for me are very favorable, very slick and smooth. Not missing Cyanogenmod at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Hi.

Have a question for those who have up graded to lollipop. Flashed the factory lollipop image the other day. Was looking at the battery use, and was surprised to see that Chrome was the biggest draw on the battery, more than the screen @17%. When I selected it (in the battery stat thingie) I see that "mobile radio active" is showing 1hr 45mins of use. So I uninstall chrome, and the battery stat shows that the mobile standby is the biggest draw again with the mobile radio being active.
    I didn't come across this in KitKat. The screen was always the biggest use.
    So , in lollipop, what are you finding are the biggest draws on your batteries? ( anything different/unusual?)

(Edit , a little googling, tells me that mobile signal quality/strength could be the cause the mobile radio battery draw . could be coincidence, or just that the screen is a bit more efficient now, hense making other draws more prominent, as my battery life is no worse than on KitKat.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

sugarman wrote: »
    Seems be sucking the life out of my battery since upgrading, averaging 4hrs. When I get battery low warning at 14℅ it goes within 10mins, on KitKat I could get an hour or so.

Might flash back and do a comparison.

Is that 4hrs in total? From full to empty. That ain't too good.

Advertisement