Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Not worth anywhere near that, battery would be well used at this stage and it's not removable

The battery is fairly easily replaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Raoul wrote: »
    The battery is fairly easily replaced

Not for a novice, price would need to reflect that. EBay is also full of Chinese clones that don't last long

It is. Trust me...it is only opening a couple up the back of the device by opening a few screws and prying out the battery. Anyone could do it.

Raoul wrote: »
    It is. Trust me...it is only opening a couple up the back of the device by opening a few screws and prying out the battery. Anyone could do it.

To you and me yes, but the use if the words prise and screws on something they spent 200 quid on would have lots of people uneasy.

Price needs to cover cost of replacement battery, I would say 150-170 is a fairer price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

Battery is fine on my phone. Also on adverts I'd have to put it up for 200 to even get offers of 150-170.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Lollipop factory images are out for Nexus devices but at the time of typing this the Nexus 4 doesn't have one. Hoping it will be by the end of the day. The Nexus 7 2012 has one already so...

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

What ROM do you use? I am using slim kat. Very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Question, will I get Android L OTA if my phone is rooted, running stock Android 4.4.4 but with the Franco Kernel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Any Nexus 4 users that have not rooted got 5.0 L yet?

robo wrote: »
    Any Nexus 4 users that have not rooted got 5.0 L yet?

No Nexus has got the OTA update yet, any minute now. The factory image for the Nexus 4 hasn't even been released though, all others have, so you may be waiting a little longer.

• Advertisement

It would seem that the only older device with a radio to get the factory image posted so far is the Nexus 5, and that's probably because it had a beta preview available from just after I/O. So besides that only Wi-Fi tablets have got theirs posted. They're probably working out a few bugs or something before posting the radio devices' images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Seen this posted on r/Android

https://plus.google.com/105162099385231511005/posts/9imJjjKynYP
    Sascha Prüter21:17+2676Reply

I guess I forgot the #Nexus4 hashtag?

Won't be doing update for a while yet love my xposed too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm completely ignorant here on factory images and the like. What happens? Google releases them, then developers pick it up and eventually it goes OTA?

I'm completely ignorant here on factory images and the like. What happens? Google releases them, then developers pick it up and eventually it goes OTA?
    No. Google push out the OTAs to Nexus devices. OEMs like Samsung don't use the Nexus factory images. Android is open source so they use the AOSP code. The factory images are for Nexus owners to flash of their own accord. A fresh install. Think of it like Windows 10 coming out next year. Do I upgrade via an update or do I do a fresh install from an image or disc? Something like that. A fresh install is handy if your phone could use a fresh start or if someone's using a custom ROM/kernel, which won't get an OTA or the OTA will fail if attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does anyone want a Ringke Fusion case for a Nexus 4?
    I've changed phones so I don't need it anymore. Just send me a PM and I can send it on in the post.

Does anyone want a Ringke Fusion case for a Nexus 4?
    I've changed phones so I don't need it anymore. Just send me a PM and I can send it on in the post.

Yeah I wouldn't mind, my cover is good at the moment but it is pretty heavy. However, it does offer loads of protection and no matter how many times I have dropped it, it won't get damaged (never really dropped it on anything hard). Is the Ringke Fusion really good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If Raoul doesnt want it i'll take it. Drooping my phone every 5 minutes lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Raoul was first to reply. Fresh pots is next on the list.

I found the Ringke Fusion case very good. My new phone is a Nexus 5, and I've just bought the Ringke Fusion case for that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Wearable Service is it possible to turn this off on the N4, I don't wear my phone I hold it, carry it in my pocket not wear the frigging thing. Pointless service running on my phone using battery. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Question, will I get Android L OTA if my phone is rooted, running stock Android 4.4.4 but with the Franco Kernel?

no. needs to be stock rom and kernel. I had the franco kernel myself. have flashed the stock kernel again, but the franco kernel may have changed some system settings, so may need to flash the stock rom.
    i see on android police site, that lollipop ota seems to be very fussy in that since

• Advertisement

I flashed stock L last night using the factory image and I love it! I find that it's snappy enough, I was afraid that it wouldn't be. To make the most out of it, get the Google Now Launcher from the Play Store as only the Nexus 5 and later have it as standard (phones that originally shipped with it). The crappy 4.3, 4.2, 4.1, 4.0 launcher still looms as stock.

I also find that using the new Messenger app by Google for SMS runs smoother when scrolling through the list of threads on L. I do have over 6000 SMS messages stored, however, since I've kept backups since 2011, so it might not have been as bad on phones with much less. For me, it was quite laggy on KitKat, but that could have been just my need to install a fresh stock firmware (not necessarily L). Or maybe it really does run better on L!

Root is sketchy. There are some apps that are broken. Flashing SuperSU 2.16 wasn't having any effect so I used CF-Auto-Root instead and that has flashed it solidly and SuperSU works well enough, but it's not 100% yet from what I can tell. ES File Explorer no longer wants to cooperate as a root explorer (there's a mention of this also on XDA, etc.) so if you need a root file manager, you'll have to look elsewhere (at least in the meantime). I've started using X-plore instead, which seems to work fine in read and write mode on the System partition. The Quick Boot app also requests root access and appears to work until it doesn't and you don't reboot at all. Also, I learned the hard way that using TWRP Recovery 2.8.1.0 to Fix Permissions causes a bootloop. And since I'm a sucker for punishment, I did this not once, but twice, and had to reflash (with a full data wipe to boot, as leaving the data partition did let the device boot but caused a black screen with the status bar icons showing). Luckily I did take a full backup before beginning the entire process so there were no worries, just time wasted (it takes a fúck of a long time - more than I've ever experienced before - to boot for the first time after each flash, and I presume it will be a similar story for the OTA update - so have patience). So stay away from Fix Permissions in your chosen recovery unless you feel daring. Hopefully all this gets sorted sooner, rather than later, if at all, depending on what's been done in L to make messing around with the filesystem and permissions more difficult. Time will tell.

Overall, I'm impressed, and hopefully you all get your update very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Just got it OTA, looks very nice and smooth so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Mine died on Thursday. Got rid of the solid red light and blinking red lights when charging. Now the screen isn't displaying anything. Backlight comes on, can still receive calls but there's nothing on the screen.

Really liked this phone too :-(

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Mine died on Thursday. Got rid of the solid red light and blinking red lights when charging. Now the screen isn't displaying anything. Backlight comes on, can still receive calls but there's nothing on the screen.

Really liked this phone too :-(
    Try flashing a factory image. It may be a software issue, but even if not, you won't know until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Try flashing a factory image. It may be a software issue, but even if not, you won't know until you try.

Thanks, I'll give that a try later. It isn't getting picked up by the laptop though, I think it's a USB driver problem. Will try reinstall from the sdk

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll give that a try later. It isn't getting picked up by the laptop though, I think it's a USB driver problem. Will try reinstall from the sdk
    No problem. Have you tried the standalone driver ZIP from Google? If you continue to have trouble, use another PC (at your next opportunity) to see if it works there before writing it off.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hurry up, OTA. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Seems OTA file is available for sideloading now?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/16/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/

Think I'll give it a go now

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Seems OTA file is available for sideloading now?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/16/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/

Think I'll give it a go now

No sideloading needed, got a notification last night that an update was available for download. Been running it today and it's very good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I flashed the factory image a couple of days ago.
    Its rather nice, very polished.

Oddly enough my Nexus 4 doesn't charge properly from my laptop's USB port anymore. Charges fine from the wall charger and the car however.

Advertisement