Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

you could try fixing it yourself. Take a look at the youtube videos to see if its something you'd be up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

donegal. wrote: »
    you could try fixing it yourself. Take a look at the youtube videos to see if its something you'd be up for.

I think you would need to be fairly confident doing it to be honest. It isn't the easiest thing to do. And you could also do with a heat gun. I know some videos say you can do it with a hair dryer but I think it would be pretty tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Is it the front or back that's cracked? The front it a touchscreen and therefore expensive but the back is only glass. So if it's just the back that's cracked it shouldn't interfere with the working of the phone and you can get a skin on ebay for around 7 euro that will cover it up and look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Well there goes my Nexus 4, dropped it today and the screen is shattered and its not responding to my touches.

Anything I can do now? Shop in Galway quoted €150 for repair. Should I go to LG or hold out for a Nexus 5 price reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well there goes my Nexus 4, dropped it today and the screen is shattered and its not responding to my touches.

Anything I can do now? Shop in Galway quoted €150 for repair. Should I go to LG or hold out for a Nexus 5 price reduction?

Which shop? I got mine fixed in Fonez for €90.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Which shop? I got mine fixed in Fonez for €90.

Electronic partner on Eglinton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I feel for you.

I dropped my phone for the first time today. Thankfully, it was saved by my cover. I hate the cover but it came in use, big time.

I feel for you.

I dropped my phone for the first time today. Thankfully, it was saved by my cover. I hate the cover but it came in use, big time.

Had a case on mine too (Official bumper case ironically) but it feel face flat onto a concrete floor in town.

As it was earlier; DtiauHo.jpg

Have found someone selling a Nexus 5 32gb quite cheap so will update here if it is legit.

Decided to just jump the gun and get a Nexus 5(Amazon.de, 320E), will probably get the Nexus 4 repaired at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

So, any ideas on when we can expect Lollipop?

• Advertisement

Nexus 4 keeps randomly rebooting, have factory reset, installed different roms cleared caches, started in safe mode...anyone else have this problem or any solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

A Neurotic wrote: »
    So, any ideas on when we can expect Lollipop?
    In the coming weeks. There's no date yet. At first Google left out the Nexus 4 from the list and it looked as though they were skipping it, which was odd since the Nexus 10 made the cut and it's roughly the same age. But they came out and said it was a mistake. Even the Nexus 7 2012 is getting L. I wonder how many people will continue to call it L instead of Lollipop? It's been known as L for so long now...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105162099385231511005/posts/aXYoj3Ygirs
    Raoul wrote: »
    Nexus 4 keeps randomly rebooting, have factory reset, installed different roms cleared caches, started in safe mode...anyone else have this problem or any solution?
    Because the Nexus 6 is so expensive I might pass on it, as I'd previously hoped to get it. I wouldn't bother with a Nexus 5 at this stage so keeping the Nexus 4 seems like a good option. I remember we all got ours around the same time last year so I wanted to find out how long the warranty was for in case something should happen. It's 24 months.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-mobile/lg-LGE960#warrantyInfo

Maybe try contacting LG or Flubit (You had yours ordered with them, right? If not, contact Google Play) about it? Since you've tried all the things I'd do, this is the best advice I can give. Eliminating software as the issue, it could then be hardware-related.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    In the coming weeks. There's no date yet. At first Google left out the Nexus 4 from the list and it looked as though they were skipping it, which was odd since the Nexus 10 made the cut and it's roughly the same age. But they came out and said it was a mistake. Even the Nexus 7 2012 is getting L. I wonder how many people will continue to call it L instead of Lollipop? It's been known as L for so long now...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105162099385231511005/posts/aXYoj3Ygirs

Because the Nexus 6 is so expensive I might pass on it, as I'd previously hoped to get it. I wouldn't bother with a Nexus 5 at this stage so keeping the Nexus 4 seems like a good option. I remember we all got ours around the same time last year so I wanted to find out how long the warranty was for in case something should happen. It's 24 months.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-mobile/lg-LGE960#warrantyInfo

Maybe try contacting LG or Flubit (You had yours ordered with them, right? If not, contact Google Play) about it? Since you've tried all the things I'd do, this is the best advice I can give. Eliminating software as the issue, it could then be hardware-related.
    Great memory. Yeah I will contact them..thanks...off to Japan tonight though...so will do it in two weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Question re the camera. How are you guys finding it as of late? I don't know if I'm imaging this, if it's the app, or hardware. Lately it seems there's a delay in processing - almost as if the camera's going 'oh hey, you asked me to take a photo, one sec, la la la - processing, done'. It appears to take longer than previously. I don't take many photos at all, so storage is not an issue - and I do recall it being quicker. You have to hold the phone in situ even after you've taken the shot, otherwise it appears to come out blurry. iirc, this used not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Question re the camera. How are you guys finding it as of late? I don't know if I'm imaging this, if it's the app, or hardware. Lately it seems there's a delay in processing - almost as if the camera's going 'oh hey, you asked me to take a photo, one sec, la la la - processing, done'. It appears to take longer than previously. I don't take many photos at all, so storage is not an issue - and I do recall it being quicker. You have to hold the phone in situ even after you've taken the shot, otherwise it appears to come out blurry. iirc, this used not to be the case.

Have you got HDR on? That causes the delay, but results in a better quality photo.

It's a disaster if you're taking a photo of a moving object though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, well-spotted.

Been waiting for Lollipop and checking if there's anyone has received their OTA on any older Nexus device. Apparently, they're pushing the updates back until the Nexus 6 is released in the US later in the month to fix some bugs. At first I was skeptical of that excuse but it would seem that the Nexus 5 had been experiencing a large battery drain with Wi-Fi switched on due to too many IRQ wakeup events being sent, which has now been resolved. There could be more finishing touches to do between now and when the Nexus 6 is officially out. Hopefully we'll get our Nexus 4 OTA and/or Factory Image by then.

Have you got any of the lollipop apps? Pretty nice looking.

Have you got any of the lollipop apps? Pretty nice looking.
    When it was first announced someone did a keyboard app so I've had that for a while and updated the Play Store app over a week ago to Material. The Music app was updated some time ago. Oh, and got Inbox, so that's good but nothing new for Gmail yet. So yeah, can't wait for the new look and feel and it'll be welcome since we've had the current one since Ice Cream Sandwich in 2011.

There is a new gmail app and calendar, camera, messaging...loads more. Also a new google music app but it is pretty similar to the last update.

• Advertisement

There is a new gmail app and calendar, camera, messaging...loads more. Also a new google music app but it is pretty similar to the last update.
    At this point I'll just wait, I think. As soon as the factory images are out I'm going to flash them as I think my phone needs a good clean-up.

Did your random rebooting problem go away?

It was actually my gfs phone. I flashed slimkat on to her phone after a full factory reset and it had stopped for a while but then started again. Still not as frequent as before but she needs to get onto google asap.

If you want to zip file with all the apks send me a pm with your email.

It was actually my gfs phone. I flashed slimkat on to her phone after a full factory reset and it had stopped for a while but then started again. Still not as frequent as before but she needs to get onto google asap.

If you want to zip file with all the apks send me a pm with your email.
    Yeah, get onto Google (if you didn't use Flubit or any third-party seller) or LG (in any purchase case), since it's still in warranty.

Sure, I'll PM you now, thank you. Having them all in a zip file will make it easier and worth it for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Anybody having any problems with charging on the Nexus 4?

Mine has gone dead twice when charging it over night in the past few weeks...with 2 different chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rida

Are there any shops in Ireland that will fix the nexus 4 software for me. Im constantly stuck in the bootloader and no matter what I try I cannot fix it

Rida wrote: »
    Are there any shops in Ireland that will fix the nexus 4 software for me. Im constantly stuck in the bootloader and no matter what I try I cannot fix it
    Have you tried flashing the latest factory image yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Rida wrote: »

I've used this to sort out my N7, works a treat.

Be sure to read the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

How much should I get for a perfect condition 16gb Nexus 4 with box and all accessories??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

xtal191 wrote: »
    How much should I get for a perfect condition 16gb Nexus 4 with box and all accessories??

Maybe have a look here at an indication of the price
    https://ie.webuy.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

sugarman wrote: »
    Stick on Adverts for €200 and go from there

Not worth anywhere near that, battery would be well used at this stage and it's not removable

Advertisement