Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Really depends on what corner of the internet one might be perusing at the time:D

Dirty,dirty mind:D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Hi again,

I've posted a couple of 'incidents' on this thread before that relate to my late father. I feel like a scratched record at this stage but..something else...
    Some background, I moved back home to live with my mum before my father got sick and stayed when he passed away.

Covid hit and during the first lockdown I walked the legs off myself in the evenings after spending the day working from home.
    Since the evenings have become darker I haven't been out obviously so I sit with my mum watching her favourite soap.

Over the past month (maybe long before), at 7:15pm approx every evening there has been this noise upstairs that sounds like a person going from the bathroom into my parent's bedroom. My mother and I have looked at each other when we've heard the sound but never said anything about it until this evening when she said, that's him.
    I replied saying I always thought the same as it was so pronounced and deliberate but didn't want to come across as nuts :). I asked her if it could be the heating or steps from next door or even something else. Mum said (and I know) there are no radiators on upstairs and she said it has happened at the same time every evening (even during the summer). She told me she doesn't feel scared but feels peace. Tonight was the first time we spoke about it.

Then I remember when my house was sale agreed a few months after he passed, I got a call from the auctioneer to tell me a neighbour saw someone walking through the house at night. The auctioneer went to see the house and found nothing disturbed/stolen or that anyone had slept there. My father loved that house and loved spending time there. No one else had keys apart from the auctioneer. I'd forgotten that incident until this evening when my mum and I had that discussion.

Your loved ones never leave you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Hi again,

I've posted a couple of 'incidents' on this thread before that relate to my late father. I feel like a scratched record at this stage but..something else...
    Some background, I moved back home to live with my mum before my father got sick and stayed when he passed away.

Covid hit and during the first lockdown I walked the legs off myself in the evenings after spending the day working from home.
    Since the evenings have become darker I haven't been out obviously so I sit with my mum watching her favourite soap.

Over the past month (maybe long before), at 7:15pm approx every evening there has been this noise upstairs that sounds like a person going from the bathroom into my parent's bedroom. My mother and I have looked at each other when we've heard the sound but never said anything about it until this evening when she said, that's him.
    I replied saying I always thought the same as it was so pronounced and deliberate but didn't want to come across as nuts :). I asked her if it could be the heating or steps from next door or even something else. Mum said (and I know) there are no radiators on upstairs and she said it has happened at the same time every evening (even during the summer). She told me she doesn't feel scared but feels peace. Tonight was the first time we spoke about it.

Then I remember when my house was sale agreed a few months after he passed, I got a call from the auctioneer to tell me a neighbour saw someone walking through the house at night. The auctioneer went to see the house and found nothing disturbed/stolen or that anyone had slept there. My father loved that house and loved spending time there. No one else had keys apart from the auctioneer. I'd forgotten that incident until this evening when my mum and I had that discussion.

Your loved ones never leave you :)

Gorgeous story and I fully believe this too. Sending love your way and sorry for the loss of your dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

That last story reminded me of this one, hope I haven't posted it before.

My granny has always been a difficult lady and to call her a grandmother doesn't feel right as she has never shown any warmth or love to me or my siblings and my dad had a hard time growing up with her as a mother.

She spent Christmas with us when I was about 18 and all of us weren't looking forward to it as she is very pass remarkable, negative and it felt like a chore to have her around. She said something particularly cutting to me and being 18 and body conscious I was really upset, so went to room and just thought I'm not going back down and she has ruined Christmas etc.

My grandad would've always have been the one to stop her in her tracks if she went too far or was about to upset someone and he was a genuinely lovely man. I was lying on the bed, in tears and just remember feeling this warm, reassuring feeling wash over me as if someone was hugging/comforting me. In that moment, I just shrugged off the upset feeling and just moved on. I knew it was him.

I went from not being able to return downstairs because I was so cross and upset, to just heading downstairs and rejoining my family. It was such a strange yet comforting experience. I really believe our loved ones are always with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

dubstarr wrote: »

Anyway, i was upstairs feeding the baby and my son goes from the loo in to his room. Literally 2 seconds later the same son comes upstairs. And in to his room he goes.
    I put baby down and go in,hes the only one in there and i ask has he been in the loo.He says no,hes been downstairs for ages.

I ask my dp and he says he was downstairs.

And the reason i was going to post,i had a dream last night about dps sister.She had another baby, a boy and i even seen his face.He was a normal baby

Years ago when I lived in London and my mother came over to stay with us, she was in the small bedroom between ours and the bathroom. She was a little freaked out one morning because she said she woke up in the middle of the night when she heard the door opening and I was standing in the door with a bath towel wrapped around me and another towel wrapped around my hair turban-style like I was coming out of the shower. She said I looked blankly at her and she called my name but my blank expression didn't alter and then after what felt like forever for her I turned around and walked towards my bedroom. She said I scared the frack out of her. I was my usual smelly, greasy-haired self in the morning. :D

I've read other posts here where people had a similar experience to that which you had with your son.

Why would your sister's baby not be normal? Is her name Rosemary? :D Do you mean that the baby didn't have black eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone else been thinking about Charlie Pride before he passed away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

saabsaab wrote: »
    That is the strangest thing.
    I was thinking about him on Friday night.
    Learned Saturday that he had passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I had, yeah. He was in a documentary on country music I’d seen recently and when I heard Johnny Mathis singing ‘When a Child is Born’ I started to think about Charley Pride.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A couple of things ye.

I was coming home from college many decades ago and had bought myself a DVD player that day and and the walk home a car pulled up beside me and tried to take it off me maybe even abduct me but the local priest scared them off.
    Another time when I was up in Dublin in Easons an old fellow tried to get me to come with him saying I had a curved spine the type that need an operation to fix. Thankfully I did not go as I think that was fake and there is nothing like that wrong with my back.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

AMKC wrote: »
    A couple of things ye.

I was coming home from college many decades ago and had bought myself a DVD player that day and and the walk home a car pulled up beside me and tried to take it off me maybe even abduct me but the local priest scared them off.

God only knows what the priest would have done to him...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Another time when I was up in Dublin in Easons an old fellow tried to get me to come with him saying I had a curved spine the type that need an operation to fix. Thankfully I did not go as I think that was fake and there is nothing like that wrong with my back.

Jaysus, i've heard some dodgy pick up lines but this takes first prize!

Was he going to perform this spinal operation up a lane somewhere or what?:D

A couple of things ye.

Both very weird. How did the priest scare them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gotta love the approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jaysus, i've heard some dodgy pick up lines but this takes first prize!

Was he going to perform this spinal operation up a lane somewhere or what?:D

I'd say his spine would definitely be curved after that...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Just lie down there now and give your spine a good stretch.:eek:

An old story my grandmother used to tell us.
    Now she wasn't a woman for talking much.. Spent most of her life in Mercy orphanage.
    Well she met and married my grandfather in Birmingham she was from mayo he from leinster.
    They had 3 children in England, and in the late 60s decided to move to the west of Ireland.
    Moved into this little ramshackle cottage somewhere in mayo, not long after moving in apparently there were travellers pitched up across from the house one day, my grandmother used to have tea with them when the old woman travelling lady tells her they are moving on as there is a evil presence around the place. Not long after this one day my grandparents go for a walk, passing the cemetery they see my mother as a 7 year old running through the cemetery where they passed on the walk. They called her but she didn't answer. They get back to the cottage and ask my mother what she was doing out, she wasn't. A couple of minutes later bangs on the cottage door, an old woman, definitely a spirit my grandmother tells us was banging the door down saying to get out of her house it didn't belong to them.. My family moved out soon after.

:D
    Years ago when I lived in London and my mother came over to stay with us, she was in the small bedroom between ours and the bathroom. She was a little freaked out one morning because she said she woke up in the middle of the night when she heard the door opening and I was standing in the door with a bath towel wrapped around me and another towel wrapped around my hair turban-style like I was coming out of the shower. She said I looked blankly at her and she called my name but my blank expression didn't alter and then after what felt like forever for her I turned around and walked towards my bedroom. She said I scared the frack out of her. I was my usual smelly, greasy-haired self in the morning. :D

I've read other posts here where people had a similar experience to that which you had with your son.

Why would your sister's baby not be normal? Is her name Rosemary? :D Do you mean that the baby didn't have black eyes?
    Yes he didnt have black eyes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No , but random celebrities have for no reason crossed my mind just before theydied , so much so that I I've took notice of it .
    The last was David Bowie.
    Sweet Jesus I just got the urge to Google Bob Dylan !!

Mine was last week seeing Zara and Mike Tindall in the paper.I knew she was pregnant.And the next day she says she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

dubstarr wrote: »
    Mine was last week seeing Zara and Mike Tindall in the paper.I knew she was pregnant.And the next day she says she was.

She was what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

cj maxx wrote: »
    No , but random celebrities have for no reason crossed my mind , so much so that I I've took notice of it .
    The last was David Bowie.
    Sweet Jesus I just got the urge to Google Bob Dylan !!
    Don't say it! :(

If Bob died now it would just put the tin hat on this shíte-bomb of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Both very weird. How did the priest scare them?

“Show him your cross”.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Something drifted back to me this week from way way back .. I realised I had never even told anyone at the time or since for several reasons.

I mean decades; as in 50 years.

I was on holiday in Wales with another teacher, staying in a friend's caravan.

On our last full day we each wanted to visit somewhere; she wanted St Davd;s and I, another day on Caldey Island. She drove me to Tenby then went on her way.

When time came to go home, I decided to walk along the shore to Saundersfoot where we were staying. It was a very low tide and a wide beach.

There were shoals of dead starfish on the sands and I lingered by rock pools etc.

Yes, you guessed! As I reached a rocky outbreak I realised the tide had turned. I was in effect trapped at the base of a steep ragged rocky cliff and no way back or forward. I was, by the way, wearing flip flops. All this was totally unlike my practical self but holidays tend to do that to folk.

I am tensing up as I type this. It was really accepting that I was going to die and wondering who would find me and oh my family.. All very quietly and real.

Yes I prayed. That is also what I do. Quietly, and sure this was the way my life would end ( I had been reading "Pincher Martin. ")

But there was no way anyone could have seen me from any direction or atop the cliff. Just great jagged rocks and the breakers getting louder and nearer . and too far in either direction.

Then.. a figure approached me, from the direction I had been going. Over the steep ruggedness. Just appeared.

A man. We did not speak. He seemed to know. And just held out his hand and led me. Over the rocks. it was as simple as that.

And out onto the beach.

My first and lasting thought; yes, that he was an angel. sent by God in response to my prayer and my need. It was as simple as that.

Then I saw he was with two other people. And he went back to them and carried on a conversation as if nothing had happened. There was no mention of why he had walked away from them and returned with a stranger.

I tend to let others take the lead in conversations. So I stayed a short while, then left to continue my walk "home" .

Knowing but calmly that quite literally that this stranger had saved my life in a very strange and calm way.

I did not ever tell my friend or anyone about that event. Not because my brother had drowned years before, or because I knew I had been totally stooopid.

It was just.... too personal. Wrong word but..

Thinking now, I am assured this was an angel.. He just left his companions for no other reason than to climb the rocks and find me. And they seemed to know this.... seeking no thanks, making no fuss. Just reaching out a hand.

I have no idea why this came back to me now; fifty years on and fifty years of precious life.

There are dimensions in life that we can only accept and be thankful for. As so many of the posts here demonstrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

That is an amazing story, I think your brother in spirit was helping you in your hour of need. I absolutely love this thread.

tamara25 wrote: »
    That is an amazing story, I think your brother in spirit was helping you in your hour of need. I absolutely love this thread.

Amazing that when I think if it , there is no fear. It was by any standards a terrifying situation, and a horrible way to die. I was held safe. A sheer miracle

cj maxx wrote: »
    She was what?

Pregnant obviously.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Amazing that when I think if it , there is no fear. It was by any standards a terrifying situation, and a horrible way to die. I was held safe. A sheer miracle

Life turns on small miracles.

I mentioned " Pincher Martin". Not sure if you can find the text online but a really.... creepy.. read. By WIlliam Golding. I had been reading it as part of my degree course that year. You will see the connection!

Not to be read late at night alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Graces7 wrote: »
    I mentioned " Pincher Martin". Not sure if you can find the text online but a really.... creepy.. read. By WIlliam Golding. I had been reading it as part of my degree course that year. You will see the connection!

Not to be read late at night alone..

+ 1 for Pincher Martin, it's a great book. And strangely a little similar to the situation you found yourself in!
    There was also a punk band in Dublin in the mid 90's or so called Pincher Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Around 28 years ago My folks went on holiday so i got a few close friends together and had a few beers in the house, it was great and the next day my friends went home so I cleaned up and went to sleep. When my folks came back all was normal and then later that evening my mother said that all her jewelry/old gold and silver rings were missing, my first thought was some-one stole them but I knew my friends wouldn't steal them. My mother was very depressed about them missing for a few days and I was thinking that maybe some-one did steal them but I never questioned my friends about it.

The following day I came home and my mother was in her bedroom and I sat down in the sitting room alone and it was very quiet, too quiet which was a bit strange and I heard this ticking noise, I could hear it clearly but fobbed it off but the ticking noise got a bit louder and I was thinking that it might be a tick insect as I heard that they make a noise like this. I called my mother in and asked her could she hear the noise but she said no. The noise continued and I got up and walked around to find out where it was coming from and I went to the box-room which holds a lot of old stuff that was stored there and when I entered the room I could hear the ticking noise a bit louder so I tracked it to a box of which held a very old typewriter, the ticking sound was louder from this box so I opened it and then opened the typewriter case and then I noticed around 16 gold and silver rings my mother was looking for, the ticking noise stopped then.

To me It actually sounded like one of the typewriter buttons was being pressed inside the box trying to get my attention, that was exactly what it did sound like when i pressed the keys. My granny (my mothers mother) died a few weeks before this and I have a strange feeling she might have been guiding me to the location of those rings. I still find it a strange one even today. It was just like something or some-one was trying to lead me to that box. My mother said she would never have put them in that old typewriter case as it was very old and not used for decades as it was put in storage a long time ago.

Not a dramatic ghost story but this happened and it was a strange one for me. Those keys on the typewriter need a bit of force to press down so I don't know but that is where the ticking noise was coming from.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Advertisement