Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

leeside11 wrote: »
    We had a neighbour who was well known for doing this, he was absolutely hated and feared in equal measure..

Some were known as having 'the 'evil eye' and could do harm to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

saabsaab wrote: »
    Some were known as having 'the 'evil eye' and could do harm to you.
    Not all were bad though. Biddy Early was a great healer. She would have been known all across the country in her day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, "pishrogues" or piseógs can also just mean a superstitious practice or bit of folklore; like putting a red ribbon out for the fairies, or curing warts with morning dew, etc

"If a fork is dropped from the table, you may expect a visitor" - or "Break a mirror for seven years bad luck" - all that kind of thing.

The word does indeed include "spells" of various kinds: and casting piseogs does mean a curse:

but the expression is not always malignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I'm dreaming of my mam a lot lately.
    She was crying in the last dream so I woke up crying.

It's made me feel sad all day today.

dubstarr wrote: »
    I'm dreaming of my mam a lot lately.
    She was crying in the last dream so I woke up crying.

It's made me feel sad all day today.

I presume she is no longer with us? It may be a sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Here’s something a little bit odd.

I was feeling a bit abandoned by one particular friend & their partner and watching those late night internet last night - those channel 4 online ‘buying a place in the sun’ programmes . It was a wierd time - about half past midnight. On the programme they were looking at a house in spain that featured a really disinctive table and chairs that this same friend of mine actually has in his house . I saw it and was thinking how he never makes an effort or gets in touch anymore & was winderinv was the friendship over. Just EXACTLY as I thought that I got a text from him saying hi & asking how I was. Long chat followed.

I havn’t heard from them before that in about 6 months. Definately nice, but a bit spooky. :0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

No,she died 20 years ago.

dubstarr wrote: »
    No,she died 20 years ago.

It can be interpreted that your life isn't going in a direction you want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Dunno what to make of this, maybe just a strange coincidence...

Today I went into a shop. Saw a guy there, that I know to see around but copped he actually worked there. Was thinking jez he looks like "johnny Mac"....

Anyway was waiting to be served, thinking he was gonna serve me. He didnt, but I over heard him on the phone saying he wasn't feeling well.

Was scrolling through fb, the guy died this evening after becoming unwell at work.

So weird, poor guy tho. Was early 30s only.

LilacNails wrote: »
    Dunno what to make of this, maybe just a strange coincidence...

Today I went into a shop. Saw a guy there, that I know to see around but copped he actually worked there. Was thinking jez he looks like "johnny Mac"....

Anyway was waiting to be served, thinking he was gonna serve me. He didnt, but I over heard him on the phone saying he wasn't feeling well.

Was scrolling through fb, the guy died this evening after becoming unwell at work.

So weird, poor guy tho. Was early 30s only.

Sad story and very weird too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

jaysus, poor guy and family. What was the cause, did you find out? Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

jaysus, poor guy and family. What was the cause, did you find out? Very sad

No idea.

akelly02 wrote: »
    this is in offaly i take it, my girlfriend would know his girlfriend, very sad.

Lucky you didnt overtake, thank god you didnt.

I remember driving my Skoda Octavia with my mother in it on the Isle of Arran in Scotland, where the roads are a bit challenging, and this day the weather was a bit wet and wild. I had been hoping to do the south circuit of the island from Brodick, the principal town where we we staying on holiday. I had read that a few days earlier somebody had been killed rushing down the mountain a string Road for the ferry in very wet conditions, so was a bit apprehensive driving here, and a local art supplies shopkeeper told me that she would never drive on the island in anything but her small 4x4.

Armed with caution I proceeded south out of the seaside village of Whiting Bay on the narrow coastal road which was now in an increasing right-hand bend, with land to left and a rocky seashore a bit below me to the right. With increasing unease I slowed right down to almost a crawl, when suddenly I heard a small exclamation of "oh" from my mother. Next thing a motorcycle was heading at speed straight for the middle of my bonnet and he diverted out over the edge of the road taking-off into the air onto the rocks.

I had to force myself to think logically. First thing hazard lights. Second thing take mobile phone in hand and carefully exit car whilst starting to press 999 as I thought I might go to pieces upon seeing a body splattered over the rocks and not be able to key in the number. Next second a voice called from below the rocks "don't call an ambulance, Im ok." The island GP and nurse happened to be in car some distance behind and stopped, but the polite young motorcyclist refused examination and further help. He said he had left it too late to set out for the ferry and was speeding beyond the capability to control his bike and that the bend took him by surprise. Seeing my car he quickly diverted over to the sea or he said it could have been curtains for us in the car, and either way could have been for him. However he said had I not been virtually at a standstill at that point we would all gave been a goner, and he had learnt a big lesson. He wouldn't take any offers of a lift back to Brodick, and said he was ashamed and didn't want his parents in Newcastle upon Tyne to know as they had helped fun the bike and his college etc.

Below is the Streetview image of the exact point where it happened. Ironically a similar scenario happened on a later holiday by Loch Ness, where I very cautiously went around a particular corner with a huge sense of foreboding. Came right upon a car crashed into a cliff wall by young brothers who had taken Daddy's very expensive car for a drive, but drive it too fast for the road conditions. Car half destroyed but no injuries. Stopped a bit ahead of them to assist and see about warning traffic coming from behind etc. Again they were mortified, Daddy had told them to go carefully etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

Not so much unnerving but for me, quite a coincidence. It actually made me smile..

My father lost his mother at a young age. 7, he's in his 60's now. Referred to her regularly and often spoke about how he missed out on what could have been. Throughout the years it never came up as to what actually happened to her, how did she die? During one of our conversations recently about some letters he had from her which she wrote from her hospital bed I asked. He explained that she was walking down the stairs of a hardware shop in town. She took a fall on the stairs, broke some bones didn't heal well and died.
    Literally the very next day I was in that very same shop which is now a dealz, I was walking down that very same stairs with my young daughter who was 9 turned to me and said "I hate going down these stairs, they're very steep" she has no idea of my father loosing his mother at a young age let alone what happened.
    I smiled in complete disbelief as we had been there many times before and she never mentioned anything about the stairs, only the day after I learned what happened on those stars.

Coincidence? Possibly....

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I'm sure this must be related to tinnitus or listening to loud music through earphones for hours at a time (which I do)but maybe someone can help me with this.

About a month ago I returned from a funeral and was lying in bed on my laptop.For about ten seconds I could hear a sound in my right ear,the only way I can explain it was the sound of metal banging,like shop shutters being slammed.

It's never happened before or since but scared the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I remember driving my Skoda Octavia with my mother in it on the Isle of Arran in Scotland, where the roads are a bit challenging, and this day the weather was a bit wet and wild. I had been hoping to do the south circuit of the island from Brodick, the principal town where we we staying on holiday. I had read that a few days earlier somebody had been killed rushing down the mountain a string Road for the ferry in very wet conditions, so was a bit apprehensive driving here, and a local art supplies shopkeeper told me that she would never drive on the island in anything but her small 4x4.

Armed with caution I proceeded south out of the seaside village of Whiting Bay on the narrow coastal road which was now in an increasing right-hand bend, with land to left and a rocky seashore a bit below me to the right. With increasing unease I slowed right down to almost a crawl, when suddenly I heard a small exclamation of "oh" from my mother. Next thing a motorcycle was heading at speed straight for the middle of my bonnet and he diverted out over the edge of the road taking-off into the air onto the rocks.

I had to force myself to think logically. First thing hazard lights. Second thing take mobile phone in hand and carefully exit car whilst starting to press 999 as I thought I might go to pieces upon seeing a body splattered over the rocks and not be able to key in the number. Next second a voice called from below the rocks "don't call an ambulance, Im ok." The island GP and nurse happened to be in car some distance behind and stopped, but the polite young motorcyclist refused examination and further help. He said he had left it too late to set out for the ferry and was speeding beyond the capability to control his bike and that the bend took him by surprise. Seeing my car he quickly diverted over to the sea or he said it could have been curtains for us in the car, and either way could have been for him. However he said had I not been virtually at a standstill at that point we would all gave been a goner, and he had learnt a big lesson. He wouldn't take any offers of a lift back to Brodick, and said he was ashamed and didn't want his parents in Newcastle upon Tyne to know as they had helped fun the bike and his college etc.

Below is the Streetview image of the exact point where it happened. Ironically a similar scenario happened on a later holiday by Loch Ness, where I very cautiously went around a particular corner with a huge sense of foreboding. Came right upon a car crashed into a cliff wall by young brothers who had taken Daddy's very expensive car for a drive, but drive it too fast for the road conditions. Car half destroyed but no injuries. Stopped a bit ahead of them to assist and see about warning traffic coming from behind etc. Again they were mortified, Daddy had told them to go carefully etc.

I've lived in Scotland for ten years now, still haven't got around to the islands but they're planned for next summer. I never knew about the challenging roads.

Thank you, fore warned is fore armed.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've lived in Scotland for ten years now, still haven't got around to the islands but they're planned for next summer. I never knew about the challenging roads.

Thank you, fore warned is fore armed.

Ah, that's really only Arran in my experience. I've driven around Orkney, Lewis, Islay, Jura and they are not so bad road-wise. DO explore the islands. Arran has an hourly bus service (in summer) service which is quite adequate for exploration. Local taxi service can be hard for the 2 best restaurants in Brodick, so you definitely don't need a car there. I've explored very many islands, and ferry, bus & foot serve quite well in many. You don't need a car on Bute or the Small Isles off Mallaig. The Outer Hebrides most definitely benefit from a car and you can bring your own over in Calmac or hire locally. Colonsay is walkable. Tiree and Coll would benefit with some wheels. Local tours are readily available on Orkney, Skye, Shetland. Guided tours are a distinct benefit on Orkney as it is oozing with historical sites, and evening tours there are wonderful when the sun often casts a very special light on the landscape. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah, that's really only Arran in my experience. I've driven around Orkney, Lewis, Islay, Jura and they are not so bad road-wise. DO explore the islands. Arran has an hourly bus service (in summer) service which is quite adequate for exploration. Local taxi service can be hard for the 2 best restaurants in Brodick, so you definitely don't need a car there. I've explored very many islands, and ferry, bus & foot serve quite well in many. You don't need a car on Bute or the Small Isles off Mallaig. The Outer Hebrides most definitely benefit from a car and you can bring your own over in Calmac or hire locally. Colonsay is walkable. Tiree and Coll would benefit with some wheels. Local tours are readily available on Orkney, Skye, Shetland. Guided tours are a distinct benefit on Orkney as it is oozing with historical sites, and evening tours there are wonderful when the sun often casts a very special light on the landscape. :)

Did you get to the North Isles in Orkney or just Mainland? I lived on Eday for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Got in my car and turned on the radio, bad day by Daniel Powter was on 1st....Ive had the mother of bad days already this morning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Got into bed at around 1 this morning, I had been in deep conversation with one of my closer cousins for a number of hours, where we had been discussing both the merits and perils of Halloween and the involvement of our late grandmother, who always was attracted to the festival with a great enthusiasm. We were reminiscing about how in the old days Pumpkins were hard to get and how we use to carve heads out of turnip and our granny would make a mash of turnip, spud and cabbage and serve it with Roast Chicken or boiled ham. We would always get up to Enniskillen for shopping during half term and we would be hitting cold bottles of lilt and scoffing our face with flogs, jelly cola bottles and yorkie bars. Eating proper Irish úils, monkey nuts and mandarin oranges.

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox and she used to almost enter an advanced trance like state when she was tickling us early evening to help us have a laugh, generate some fear and basically get us knackered before we hit the nest. She was fond of jumping on the bed and bouncing it around, after we were out of the bath and getting dried off. These were lovely early evening memories of innocence mixed with the delights of Halloween, face stuffing with sweets and getting tucked in.

When I got to my bedroom last night the room was freezing cold, which surprised me, as I had left the heat on specifically as it was stormy enough and I wanted to be snug also. I checked the radiator and it was stone cold. Bemused I went for the hotpress and noticed the emersion was working fine and not satisfied with this ended up downstairs at the boiler checking if it was working, all seemed fine. I resigned myself to it being possibly a poorly bled radiator and I was getting tired so locked everything up again and hit the sack.

I couldn't get into my book and felt tired and so turned off the light and closed my eyes. I was just sinking in when I heard what sounded like a large plastic bottle of fizz being opened , I was not sure if I was dreaming or not. I then could feel a heaviness on my bed and it seemed as it someone was almost bouncing on it. However when I went to try to turn over and put on the light I couldn't move... at all. I was frozen solid in the bed, I could not even get out of the fetal position. I was stuck. The bed began bouncing more frantically and I despite my attempts to move I simply couldn't. This went on for a minute or so and I could also smell mashed turnip and hear hands rumbling in a plastic bag and could smell flogs. I then began to feel the room heating up intensely and I was almost beginning to panic when suddenly the bouncing stopped and I was able to move again. I sat for a while, slightly scared but not too bad. I got out of bed and turned on the light and felt the radiator, it was piping hot. I went to the toilet and had a leak and washed my face and hands. I was tired and went back into the room. There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt. I have no idea how it got there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hope you said "Thank you, Granny!". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Got into bed at around 1 this morning, I had been in deep conversation with one of my closer cousins for a number of hours, where we had been discussing both the merits and perils of Halloween and the involvement of our late grandmother, who always was attracted to the festival with a great enthusiasm. We were reminiscing about how in the old days Pumpkins were hard to get and how we use to carve heads out of turnip and our granny would make a mash of turnip, spud and cabbage and serve it with Roast Chicken or boiled ham. We would always get up to Enniskillen for shopping during half term and we would be hitting cold bottles of lilt and scoffing our face with flogs, jelly cola bottles and yorkie bars. Eating proper Irish úils, monkey nuts and mandarin oranges.

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox and she used to almost enter an advanced trance like state when she was tickling us early evening to help us have a laugh, generate some fear and basically get us knackered before we hit the nest. She was fond of jumping on the bed and bouncing it around, after we were out of the bath and getting dried off. These were lovely early evening memories of innocence mixed with the delights of Halloween, face stuffing with sweets and getting tucked in.

When I got to my bedroom last night the room was freezing cold, which surprised me, as I had left the heat on specifically as it was stormy enough and I wanted to be snug also. I checked the radiator and it was stone cold. Bemused I went for the hotpress and noticed the emersion was working fine and not satisfied with this ended up downstairs at the boiler checking if it was working, all seemed fine. I resigned myself to it being possibly a poorly bled radiator and I was getting tired so locked everything up again and hit the sack.

I couldn't get into my book and felt tired and so turned off the light and closed my eyes. I was just sinking in when I heard what sounded like a large plastic bottle of fizz being opened , I was not sure if I was dreaming or not. I then could feel a heaviness on my bed and it seemed as it someone was almost bouncing on it. However when I went to try to turn over and put on the light I couldn't move... at all. I was frozen solid in the bed, I could not even get out of the fetal position. I was stuck. The bed began bouncing more frantically and I despite my attempts to move I simply couldn't. This went on for a minute or so and I could also smell mashed turnip and hear hands rumbling in a plastic bag and could smell flogs. I then began to feel the room heating up intensely and I was almost beginning to panic when suddenly the bouncing stopped and I was able to move again. I sat for a while, slightly scared but not too bad. I got out of bed and turned on the light and felt the radiator, it was piping hot. I went to the toilet and had a leak and washed my face and hands. I was tired and went back into the room. There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt. I have no idea how it got there.
    Does it taste like the proper old Lilt or the horrible chemical soup that passes for Lilt nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

At bedtime our granny was fond of acting the bollox .

:D:D

I'm not sure why exactly, but i got a good giggle out of this line!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That wasn't lilt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

There was a half pint glass on my bedside table filled with freezing cold lilt.

I was with you till this bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Seems like someone come in and bled your rad into a pint glass and you thought it was lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Quazzie wrote: »
    Seems like someone come in and bled your rad into a pint glass and you thought it was lily.

Was Lily his grandmother? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bibblybobbly

I feel half daft posting this however I said I would see what people think that have experiences with this type of thing

Basically I am living with my wife and daughter in our house for the past two years now, the house was originally my aunts whom i was very close with, she sadly passed away earlier in the year from coronavirus. The house we live in is not your typical house as it’s almost 200 years old.

Now onto whats been going on lately, in the last few weeks particularly, I have been in my own room working from home and have heard what can only be described as breathing which feels very close to me, last week I was particularly sick and went to bed early could not sleep and then again I hear this breathing really close to me, I was wide awake, I thought it was odd but shrugged it off. Now I should state I have on the odd occasion thought i heard this same sound last year also. I did not mention it to my wife as she is the last person in the world to believe anything supernatural, I’d be also sceptical but am more open minded ..

Now, onto this week, I went to bed at approximately 11.30, our daughter who is one and sleeps in our room was fast asleep, I drifted off and awoke to my wife screaming and shaking me, I woke choking and gasping for air, I felt like I had been asleep for hours however it was just after 12, I asked my wife what the hell was going on, she said that she was awake and about to go asleep when she saw a black shadow like figure standing over our bed which then moved towards me, she screamed and shook me to wake, I didn’t see anything just woke choking which was a very jarring sensation to say the least! I said you must of been dreaming but she is adamant that she was wide awake

Since then she’s been quite rattled, I’m not sure what to do here, I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

Thanks for any input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I feel half daft posting this however I said I would see what people think that have experiences with this type of thing

Basically I am living with my wife and daughter in our house for the past two years now, the house was originally my aunts whom i was very close with, she sadly passed away earlier in the year from coronavirus. The house we live in is not your typical house as it’s almost 200 years old.

Now onto whats been going on lately, in the last few weeks particularly, I have been in my own room working from home and have heard what can only be described as breathing which feels very close to me, last week I was particularly sick and went to bed early could not sleep and then again I hear this breathing really close to me, I was wide awake, I thought it was odd but shrugged it off. Now I should state I have on the odd occasion thought i heard this same sound last year also. I did not mention it to my wife as she is the last person in the world to believe anything supernatural, I’d be also sceptical but am more open minded ..

Now, onto this week, I went to bed at approximately 11.30, our daughter who is one and sleeps in our room was fast asleep, I drifted off and awoke to my wife screaming and shaking me, I woke choking and gasping for air, I felt like I had been asleep for hours however it was just after 12, I asked my wife what the hell was going on, she said that she was awake and about to go asleep when she saw a black shadow like figure standing over our bed which then moved towards me, she screamed and shook me to wake, I didn’t see anything just woke choking which was a very jarring sensation to say the least! I said you must of been dreaming but she is adamant that she was wide awake

Since then she’s been quite rattled, I’m not sure what to do here, I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

Thanks for any input

That's scary stuff, the first thing I would do is check your temperature and maybe get a test to see if you have anything wrong with your health.

this may be coming from within and is something that has stuck within your thoughts after your aunt died and playing tricks with your mind, also with non stop info coming from your computer, radio or TV it can be hard to get it out of your head...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I’m not a very religious person but should I get the house blessed?

I love this thread.

Advertisement