Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

It might have been somebody outside with laser pens or torches. I have a few fairly powerful ones, Class 3B lasers.

Skinny Pete and Badger :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Anyways, back on topic of this thread....

I've mentioned before that in school I was the kid who lived in the "Haunted House" not true; it was the next house over. Anyways, said house was built on the site of a ring-fort, I think, in the early 30s and had had problems for decades.

My grandfather and his mates in the 40s would often observe different coloured orbs floating round the house from a distance usually from the shop up the road where they would hang out and it soon became infamous in the area.

The front door of the house simply would not remain locked, occupants would awake in the morning to find the door wide open.

My own father in the 80s observed a figure standing outside the house at 4 in the morning when he was driving back from work, my father is a fairly steady man but he admitted it scared the **** out of him, he basically described it as a feeling of dread as he passed by the figure who seemingly was dressed in a shawl and was staring dead ahead and motionless.

Sometime in the 90s there was a mass held in the house and seemingly it worked as no other occurrences have been noted.

What is interesting about the area is that there are quite a few ring- forts in fairly close proximity, about four in total; it goes without saying that the other forts have never been tampered with. The area is generally known to be paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyways, back on topic of this thread....

I've mentioned before that in school I was the kid who lived in the "Haunted House" not true; it was the next house over. Anyways, said house was built on the site of a ring-fort, I think, in the early 30s and had had problems for decades.

My grandfather and his mates in the 40s would often observe different coloured orbs floating round the house from a distance usually from the shop up the road where they would hang out and it soon became infamous in the area.

The front door of the house simply would not remain locked, occupants would awake in the morning to find the door wide open.

My own father in the 80s observed a figure standing outside the house at 4 in the morning when he was driving back from work, my father is a fairly steady man but he admitted it scared the **** out of him, he basically described it as a feeling of dread as he passed by the figure who seemingly was dressed in a shawl and was staring dead ahead and motionless.

Sometime in the 90s there was a mass held in the house and seemingly it worked as no other occurrences have been noted.

What is interesting about the area is that there are quite a few ring- forts in fairly close proximity, about four in total; it goes without saying that the other forts have never been tampered with. The area is generally known to be paranormal.

Knew a lad from Clare who claimed he saw lights/orbs around a ringfort there regularly. was it Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

saabsaab wrote: »
    Knew a lad from Clare who claimed he saw lights/orbs around a ringfort there regularly. was it Clare?

No, somewhere in Connaught ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

That wasn't me anyhow lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

This is of course a complete coincidence, but...

This afternoon for some reason I had an urge to listen to "Eruption" by Van Halen. Hadn't heard it in years, or listened to Van Halen in years. I spent about fifteen minutes reading about his background, his early life, his early piano lessons, how he plays a guitar he made himself known as the 'Frankenstrat', looked at pictures of it, read about his guitar playing style and how he's placed on "best ever guitar solo" lists and all that.

Then I went about my day.

Now this evening I log into boards and I'm greeted with a thread titled "Eddie Van Halen has died". And so he has. Weird coincidence.

This is of course a complete coincidence, but...

This afternoon for some reason I had an urge to listen to "Eruption" by Van Halen. Hadn't heard it in years, or listened to Van Halen in years. I spent about fifteen minutes reading about his background, his early life, his early piano lessons, how he plays a guitar he made himself known as the 'Frankenstrat', looked at pictures of it, read about his guitar playing style and how he's placed on "best ever guitar solo" lists and all that.

Then I went about my day.

Now this evening I log into boards and I'm greated with a thread titled "Eddie Van Halen has died". And so he has. Weird coincidence.

Not as close but when I seen the news I was only remembering I was listening to them last Friday night having a few drinks for the first time in easily a decade (think I started with Kiss and ended up down a rabbit hole).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Planet Claire?

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Planet Claire?

A universe of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

former Subway worker films something creepy Not a link to the video, but there is a link to the video in the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

_Godot_ wrote: »
    former Subway worker films something creepy Not a link to the video, but there is a link to the video in the story.

Absolutely terrifyingly badly acted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This isn't that scary or creepy, and is probably just a coincidence. Last Sunday I met a motorbike, and he was traveling towards me. I remembered it, because as I came across it, I was about to overtake a car, but spotted this bike at the last second coming towards me so I didn't overtake. At the time I thought that it could have lead to an accident if I overtook.

Yesterday I was reading the local news online, and I spotted that a biker was killed within a kilometre from where my own mini-incident happened at approximately the same time. As we were sitting eating dinner I mentioned this to my wife, as she was asleep in the car at the time, and commented that it could've been us involved in that. As I was saying this, a hearse went by the front of our house. As it was dark, and the back was really brightly lit up you could see there was a coffin inside. I live out in the country on a quiet road, and only 2-3 cars pass our house in an hour, so it was really unusual to see this. Even at the time I still didn't make any connection between the two things

About 15 minutes later my wife's father called, and informed us that in the coffin was the biker who died, as he lived about a mile or so from us.

More of a coincidence than anything, but there's a fair few things that are connected there, so it just feels a bit weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Coincidence my eye. That is how that stuff works. Believe. Your mind is a palace and you are only allowed in one wing of it.

Did you ever ring or contact an old friend only to be told that they were thinking about you only that day or even at that time?

I am not sure of the terminology for it, but mental kinesis is definitely tangible in my opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Did you ever ring or contact an old friend only to be told that they were thinking about you only that day or even at that time?

How many times did you ring a contact or old friend when they weren't thinking about you that day?

It's nothing more than confirmation bias. An extremely simple explanation.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    How many times did you ring a contact or old friend when they weren't thinking about you that day?

It's nothing more than confirmation bias. An extremely simple explanation.

Personally I believe there is more to it.

Logically when you reach a logical conclusion to something the argument is complete. Unless the argument lies within the scale of Fibonaccci , then it can never end. It is a simple belief versus non belief. Personally I believe that there are undiscovered elements of our brains that remain untapped or underutilised. They either have not been developed yet or are currently under development or are currently receding. It is too early to tell and fundamentally we lack the contemporary intellectual capacity to handle it. But now and then it sparks and occurs, even though we have no control over it.

Obviously if you don't believe what I believe everything that I say is garbage. But believe me, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭LilacNails

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Personally I believe there is more to it.

Logically when you reach a logical conclusion to something the argument is complete. Unless the argument lies within the scale of Fibonaccci , then it can never end. It is a simple belief versus non belief. Personally I believe that there are undiscovered elements of our brains that remain untapped or underutilised. They either have not been developed yet or are currently under development or are currently receding. It is too early to tell and fundamentally we lack the contemporary intellectual capacity to handle it. But now and then it sparks and occurs, even though we have no control over it.

Obviously if you don't believe what I believe everything that I say is garbage. But believe me, it isn't.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... Where have u got this info? I'm intrigued...

LilacNails wrote: »

Try searching your feelings and thinking with your heart, you can do it.

There is a whole universe out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

LilacNails wrote: »

They pulled it out of their arse. Poster is clearly on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Quazzie wrote: »
    This isn't that scary or creepy, and is probably just a coincidence. Last Sunday I met a motorbike, and he was traveling towards me. I remembered it, because as I came across it, I was about to overtake a car, but spotted this bike at the last second coming towards me so I didn't overtake. At the time I thought that it could have lead to an accident if I overtook.

Yesterday I was reading the local news online, and I spotted that a biker was killed within a kilometre from where my own mini-incident happened at approximately the same time. As we were sitting eating dinner I mentioned this to my wife, as she was asleep in the car at the time, and commented that it could've been us involved in that. As I was saying this, a hearse went by the front of our house. As it was dark, and the back was really brightly lit up you could see there was a coffin inside. I live out in the country on a quiet road, and only 2-3 cars pass our house in an hour, so it was really unusual to see this. Even at the time I still didn't make any connection between the two things

About 15 minutes later my wife's father called, and informed us that in the coffin was the biker who died, as he lived about a mile or so from us.

More of a coincidence than anything, but there's a fair few things that are connected there, so it just feels a bit weird.

this is in offaly i take it, my girlfriend would know his girlfriend, very sad.

Lucky you didnt overtake, thank god you didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

akelly02 wrote: »
    this is in offaly i take it, my girlfriend would know his girlfriend, very sad.

Lucky you didnt overtake, thank god you didnt.

Sure is. I live close to the guy but never met him, but I see there is a lot of support for him and his family online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sure is. I live close to the guy but never met him, but I see there is a lot of support for him and his family online.

never met him either. Well liked around the place apparantly.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

Last time I read any of this thread before bed. Got hooked from some of the earlier posts and kept trawling through it for hours and couldn't sleep for ages!

Last time I read any of this thread before bed. Got hooked from some of the earlier posts and kept trawling through it for hours and couldn't sleep for ages!

True the weirdest things can happen, not often but they do. Funny enough when it happens and there are several to see the weird many will deny it or don't want to speak of it again.

Not a supernatural experience, but definitely an "unnerving" experience...

When I was younger, I was an altar boy. I used serve the the regular masses, but also served communions, weddings, confirmations, ... The last confirmation I served, I was starting to get a little older, and more clued in on things. The bishop (let's call him "Brandon Comedy") arrived in the sacristy, and there was the usual flapping around. All the altar boys were lined up, and he looked at us one-by-one.

So what he did was, put his hand on someone's shoulder, look into their eyes and say some garbage like "yes, I see the holy spirit there". Got to me and it was like "no, no holy spirit here". I found that whole situation odd, but not unnerving.

The unnerving part was the smell on his breath; I wasn't old enough to properly know it as alcohol, but I definitely had my suspicions (it smelled like the stuff my mother used when cooking Christmas puddings).

To wrap it up... I served the confirmation mass, went home and spoke to my father about it. My Dad smiled and said "I wonder what kind of spirits were in him". I wasn't an altar boy for a whole lot longer after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Saw a post about a haunted house and remembered my own loose connection to one.

I grew up in the countryside, and as a kid my primary school bus would pass by a modern and impressive looking house everyday to and from. We all "knew" it was haunted for whatever reason, even though none of us had ever stepped foot in the place. Then in my last few years of school a woman fell down the stairs in the house and broke multiple bones, and the rumour was that she heard an old woman curse at her from behind and that this woman/ghost/thing pushed her down the stairs. This added fuel to the fire of the place being haunted and naturally we all lapped it up.

Only a few years ago I mentioned the story to my father about the house and how we all believed it was haunted, and he got shook and asked me to explain myself. Back when he was a schoolboy in the early '60s there was a thatch cottage where the house now stands, and a woman lived there on her own. They all believed she was a witch, as apparently she had been seeing casting pishogs. It was a big deal for them and they wouldn't pass the house on their own.

Eventually she died and the cottage was sold on, a new build put up in its place. Its interesting how the story has persisted over the years though, even if she was in all likelihood just an old spinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Tig98 wrote: »
    They all believed she was a witch, as apparently she had been seeing casting pishogs. .

What does this mean? Spells of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What does this mean? Spells of some sort?

piseógs are an Irish evil spell or curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Yeah, theyre a spell/curse. Besides the abstract mystique of it all, they can actually be pretty malicious. The local piseogs that went on here was placing "enchanted/cursed" eggs in haycocks, it was wishing bad luck and poor fertility on the land, but objectively the eggs would go rotten and spoil a portion of the harvest.

Another meaning and one I was familiar with was a superstitious belief and not necessarily a curse per se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Tig98 wrote: »
    Yeah, theyre a spell/curse. Besides the abstract mystique of it all, they can actually be pretty malicious. The local piseogs that went on here was placing "enchanted/cursed" eggs in haycocks, it was wishing bad luck and poor fertility on the land, but objectively the eggs would go rotten and spoil a portion of the harvest.

We had a neighbour who was well known for doing this, he was absolutely hated and feared in equal measure..

Advertisement