Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Always trust your gut instinct, that's thousands of years of evolution screaming at you even if you can't explain it rationally.

Your description of that feeling reminded me of another weird encounter when I was about 13 years old.

I was babysitting for a friend of a neighbour, my first time to sit for them (and last but I'll explain why). I was very young and didn't know the family at all but it was a pretty standard arrangement for those times.

They had a little baby maybe a couple of months old and a toddler both were sleeping when I arrived and the parents waved me off told me they'd be back late.

I was there a couple of hours just chilling watching television and checking on the kids etc when suddenly this man opens the front door (with a key) and walks in.

Turns out he was the childrens mother's brother who was either staying with them or had decided to drop by alone while they were out (mother never mentioned that he might be calling).

He'd clearly been drinking and I was instantly filled with an awful feeling in my stomach. He was very unkempt and I just got really bad vibes, it was so awkward for a few minutes he sits down to watch TV and makes himself at home.

Then he started to ask me if I wanted a can of beer or a smoke. I declined as politely as my nerves would allow and started to make an excuse to get into the kitchen where the house phone was (no mobiles back then either).

I was terrified as I dialled my mams number as quick as I could before he could notice all the while trying to pretend that this situation wasn't weird as hell.

When I explained to my mam she said I'm coming to get you now, get out of the house and wait outside in the street, what about the kids I said, I can't leave them here with this oddball. No way to contact the parents so you are just coming home now.

I never experienced the sheer awful feeling of dread when that man was sitting across the sofa looking at me knowing I couldn't get out of the situation easily. It's like a sixth sense definitely and it feels irrational afterwards but at the time the message is clear, get the f away from this now!!

Anyway my mam arrived and I left and she called the parents to explain what had happened. I never went back to babysit for them again and didn't get paid either :)

Would be interested in knowing that guys history now. Offering a 13 year old a drink, scum of the highest order. You were right to get the hell out of there. The kids wouldn’tof known you were there anyway. What a weirdo and even weirder of the parents not to even notify you of this guy now that’s even creepier.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Always trust your gut instinct, that's thousands of years of evolution screaming at you even if you can't explain it rationally.

Your description of that feeling reminded me of another weird encounter when I was about 13 years old.

I was babysitting for a friend of a neighbour, my first time to sit for them (and last but I'll explain why). I was very young and didn't know the family at all but it was a pretty standard arrangement for those times.

They had a little baby maybe a couple of months old and a toddler both were sleeping when I arrived and the parents waved me off told me they'd be back late.

I was there a couple of hours just chilling watching television and checking on the kids etc when suddenly this man opens the front door (with a key) and walks in.

Turns out he was the childrens mother's brother who was either staying with them or had decided to drop by alone while they were out (mother never mentioned that he might be calling).

He'd clearly been drinking and I was instantly filled with an awful feeling in my stomach. He was very unkempt and I just got really bad vibes, it was so awkward for a few minutes he sits down to watch TV and makes himself at home.

Then he started to ask me if I wanted a can of beer or a smoke. I declined as politely as my nerves would allow and started to make an excuse to get into the kitchen where the house phone was (no mobiles back then either).

I was terrified as I dialled my mams number as quick as I could before he could notice all the while trying to pretend that this situation wasn't weird as hell.

When I explained to my mam she said I'm coming to get you now, get out of the house and wait outside in the street, what about the kids I said, I can't leave them here with this oddball. No way to contact the parents so you are just coming home now.

I never experienced the sheer awful feeling of dread when that man was sitting across the sofa looking at me knowing I couldn't get out of the situation easily. It's like a sixth sense definitely and it feels irrational afterwards but at the time the message is clear, get the f away from this now!!

Anyway my mam arrived and I left and she called the parents to explain what had happened. I never went back to babysit for them again and didn't get paid either :)

That must have been so frightening. :(

Fair play for having the presence of mind to ring your mam and get out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Would be interested in knowing that guys history now. Offering a 13 year old a drink, scum of the highest order. You were right to get the hell out of there. The kids wouldn’tof known you were there anyway. What a weirdo and even weirder of the parents not to even notify you of this guy now that’s even creepier.

I know, when he was sitting there he started asking me loads of questions about myself (along with offering beer and smokes) and I was answering them trying to look calm and keep up the act when inside I was screaming and panicking.

I just got the feeling that any second he was just going to jump on me and the charade would be over. I can understand that poster thumping the other guy, only for I was a petrified 13 year old school girl I probably would have done the same.

It's such a primal sensation, just a sense of knowing someone intends to harm you and I thought I'd never get to the phone on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I know, when he was sitting there he started asking me loads of questions about myself (along with offering beer and smokes) and I was answering them trying to look calm and keep up the act when inside I was screaming and panicking.

I just got the feeling that any second he was just going to jump on me and the charade would be over. I can understand that poster thumping the other guy, only for I was a petrified 13 year old school girl I probably would have done the same.

It's such a primal sensation, just a sense of knowing someone intends to harm you and I thought I'd never get to the phone on time.

Just wondering did your parents report this fella for offering you drink at 13, or go take it up directly with the family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Just wondering did your parents report this fella for offering you drink at 13, or go take it up directly with the family?

It was said to the family that I was babysitting for, who knows what the background was with this chap.

It wasn't reported, probably would be nowadays but I was just glad to get out of the house.

• Advertisement

As a previous said you had the presence of kind as someone so young would of been scared stiff and not move at all. The family are as bad tbh. Glad you got out when you did. I wouldn’t want to delve deeper into that guy and the family but it’s definitely up there on the creepy scale.

If they knew he was going to be there then you’d wonder the motives on their part too.

Hope the couple you were babysitting for were at least apologetic about it!

Fair play for keeping your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    Don't know about the Maldron in cork but did stay two nights at the Maldron in smithsfield dublin...and was woken two nights running with what sounded like someone in the floor above me slamming the door constantly for a period of about ten minutes, mentioned it at reception and no one knew anything about it?? :confused:
    Probably a headboard !

ha ha :P

but seriously this was definitely a door slamming, no passion involved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

As a previous said you had the presence of kind as someone so young would of been scared stiff and not move at all. The family are as bad tbh. Glad you got out when you did. I wouldn’t want to delve deeper into that guy and the family but it’s definitely up there on the creepy scale.
    It is creepy, several things about it.
    1. Why did the creepy uncle come straight in the locked door without knocking or ringing the bell?
    2. Why would he not just leave when he saw the parents were out for the night, why would he decide to stay in the house with the young babysitter?
    3. Why was he offering the girl alcohol and cigarettes, trying to get her drunk?

I think it is very likely that the creepy uncle knew the parents would be out that night and that there would be a young girl there babysitting, so he got half drunk and went with the keys to the house and alcohol for one reason only.:mad: You did very good to keep your wits about you and get out like you did OP.
    Like the poster above said, it is even possible that one or both of the parents told him he could come over, like setting it up for him.

I feel sorry for the kids having a creepy f*cker like that in the family, and any other babysitters too.

• Advertisement

I love this thread, and it has taught me one thing: Ghosts and demons and other supernatural entities can be scary, but it is flesh and blood people you really have to watch out for. They can be the most dangerous thing going.

It is creepy, several things about it.
    1. Why did the creepy uncle come straight in the locked door without knocking or ringing the bell?
    2. Why would he not just leave when he saw the parents were out for the night, why would he decide to stay in the house with the young babysitter?
    3. Why was he offering the girl alcohol and cigarettes, trying to get her drunk?

I think it is very likely that the creepy uncle knew the parents would be out that night and that there would be a young girl there babysitting, so he got half drunk and went with the keys to the house and alcohol for one reason only.:mad: You did very good to keep your wits about you and get out like you did OP.
    Like the poster above said, it is even possible that one or both of the parents told him he could come over, like setting it up for him.

I feel sorry for the kids having a creepy f*cker like that in the family, and any other babysitters too.

I don’t want to go into it because the girl has suffered a trauma and I don’t think getting into it is going to help anyone. These are the questions that were in my head but felt it didn’t help to have the girl have to delve into it all again.

I love this thread, and it has taught me one thing: Ghosts and demons and other supernatural entities can be scary, but it is flesh and blood people you really have to watch out for. They can be the most dangerous thing going.

Deffo.

There is a post early in the thread about a child who was seconds away from being abducted through his bedroom window. It's terrifying.

A more supernatural one of mine from long ago :

one night as a child when I was in bed and still fairly wide awake and facing towards the wall . I felt a very solid tap on my shoulder. I immediately turned around thinking it was my brother messing but checked and he was fast asleep. Freaks me out to this day and I'd be sceptical enough in general. I've heard of other people having similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Mattdhg wrote: »
    I was 18 and out with friends when I decided to skulk off and meet a guy, 24, who was texting me on grindr. I met him in his house on the city outskirts and I felt uncomfortable straight away. He seemed depressed and dirty, he did use real pictures but they were from a better time. Stench of cigarettes and bo off him. I was too shy to back out so I sat down on the couch making ****ty small talk (about my leaving cert of all things) and he went back to his room to plug in his phone so it "wouldnt disturb us". We didnt do much more than kissing when I asked him to get me something from the kitchen, and when he got up I darted for the door. I didnt try to suddenly rush out without saying goodbye because I was scared of him or anything, but because I just felt so overwhelmed I wanted the whole thing to end. I got to the front door and he sprung into the hall behind me asking what I was doing and to come back, I tried to open the door but it was locked. I entered major panic mode because I thought i was gonna be raped and killed, none of my friends even knew where I was. So I started beating the **** out of him and kept screaming for him to open the door, he got a set of keys from a hallway desk and unlocked the door, I was out like a ****ing rabbit. I remember the front gate just being old/stiff on my way in and I was afraid he'd be able to catch up to me before I got past it. I felt like Id never get out. I flung the gate back and legged it.

Something quite similar happened me, got the bus to a town near 20 miles away to meet up with a guy I was chatting to online with the intention of spending an evening with him for a date and staying over if it went well. He definitely looked nothing like the pictures he had showed me. I stupidly stayed and we walked to his house, the place was a disgusting hole and it stank as there were used clothes on the floor and hanging over all the furniture. He opened a can of tuna and tipped it onto the carpet and let the cat eat off the ground. There was a kitchen full of dirty unwashed dishes and utensils which he wanted to use to cook a meal for us. His housemates were dirty (literally) - smelly clothes and dirt under their fingernails. They had been drinking somewhere else but called in to collect more booze from the house before heading out again. This was late in the evening and one was working at 6am as she was the manager of a local McDonald's. Wouldn't have liked to seen the state of her the following morning. That seemed to calm him down for a little while as he was desperate to try and get me to kiss him and I kept resisting and telling him to wait but he wouldn't try it in front of them. They eventually left and then shortly after he went upstairs to get something from his room and I sat there thinking "go, just leave" and felt something on underneath my foot. I looked down and sticking out from under the sofa was a used condom. That was it, I couldn't stand it any more and I bolted for the door. He ran down the stairs after me and I just legged it as fast as I could whilst he was chasing after me. Thankfully an empty taxi was passing by and I stuck my hand out and he stopped, I jumped in and shouted "Go!" and he sped off like something from a cheesy 80's action film. I got missed calls and texts from him for the rest of the evening asking me to come back and what was wrong. Guy was a total weirdo.

PFMC84 wrote: »
    Something quite similar happened me, got the bus to a town near 20 miles away to meet up with a guy I was chatting to online with the intention of spending an evening with him for a date and staying over if it went well. He definitely looked nothing like the pictures he had showed me. I stupidly stayed and we walked to his house, the place was a disgusting hole and it stank as there were used clothes on the floor and hanging over all the furniture. He opened a can of tuna and tipped it onto the carpet and let the cat eat off the ground. There was a kitchen full of dirty unwashed dishes and utensils which he wanted to use to cook a meal for us. His housemates were dirty (literally) - smelly clothes and dirt under their fingernails. They had been drinking somewhere else but called in to collect more booze from the house before heading out again. This was late in the evening and one was working at 6am as she was the manager of a local McDonald's. Wouldn't have liked to seen the state of her the following morning. That seemed to calm him down for a little while as he was desperate to try and get me to kiss him and I kept resisting and telling him to wait but he wouldn't try it in front of them. They eventually left and then shortly after he went upstairs to get something from his room and I sat there thinking "go, just leave" and felt something on underneath my foot. I looked down and sticking out from under the sofa was a used condom. That was it, I couldn't stand it any more and I bolted for the door. He ran down the stairs after me and I just legged it as fast as I could whilst he was chasing after me. Thankfully an empty taxi was passing by and I stuck my hand out and he stopped, I jumped in and shouted "Go!" and he sped off like something from a cheesy 80's action film. I got missed calls and texts from him for the rest of the evening asking me to come back and what was wrong. Guy was a total weirdo.

Yeuck! That sounds like the time Ross got lucky with a beautiful girl in Friends. When she took him home her place was an absolute tip, just like you described that place. I think he killed her pet rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

I'm definitely not religious or a major believer in the paranormal but I do think there are somethings that we just can't explain.

This happened a good few years ago. My partners father passed away during the night and we were both with him at the time. We went to his house later that morning, his wife had died years before he did, to start sorting things out for the undertakers. We had been in a couple of rooms making sure everything was locked up and then we went into the room where he would have spent most of his time. Turned on the light and after a minute it started to flicker and I just thought ah crap the bulb is going to blow and I don't have any with me. The house is quite old, maybe 150 years old at least, so I thought it could be the wiring as well.

I don't know why but I just said out loud "John (the man who just passed away), is that you, if it is flash the light three times." The bulb came on fully for a minute and then flashed/flickered distinctly three times. I asked if he was OK to flash the bulb three times again and it did it again. A minute later I asked was he with his wife and it flickered again three times. This wasn't a constant flickering once I started asking questions, it only flickered when I asked a question. My own missus was freaking out at this stage and ran out of the room and went upstairs.

As soon as she left the room the bulb flashed, went off and stayed off. I thought then it was just a bad bulb and laughed at myself. A few minutes later my wife came back downstairs and as soon as she came into the room the bulb flickered, came on and stayed on. We left fairly sharpish then. The exact same bulb is still working there now years later, we're in the house very rarely, and we don't ask any more questions. Looking back it gave my wife a little bit of comfort but it was definitely strange and unnerving at the time.

Yeuck! That sounds like the time Ross got lucky with a beautiful girl in Friends. When she took him home her place was an absolute tip, just like you described that place. I think he killed her pet rat.

Ha! Right enough!

Another freaky thing has popped back in my mind thanks to the post above (names changed, you never know who's reading this - hopefully it makes sense). This didn't happen to me but one of my best friends.

My friend (Mary) had a son (Paul) who was disabled and died when he was 6, and there was a small private funeral. Years later, another of my friends (Emily - who was at the funeral with me) went to a fortune teller/clairvoyant's house about 30 miles away with a group of girls for a bit of fun. The woman there said to Emily that she was getting a message for her from one of her ex's saying hello. None of her former partners were deceased to her knowledge, but there was a private joke between her and Mary that Paul was her boyfriend (as saying this to Paul made him laugh/smile, which was the only real way he could communicate). The clairvoyant then told Emily that Paul was thankful that she had held and released a red balloon for him at his funeral as it was his favourite colour and the colour of his favourite football team. He then asked why she didn't stay until the very end. Emily did not want to watch Paul being lowered into the ground as she found it too sad and emotional and turned away when that part happened.

Emily was completely freaked out that this random woman was able to tell her such specifics, especially since there was no way she was connected to anyone in her social circle, and certainly wouldn't have been at the funeral or known such specific details like the boyfriend/girlfriend nicknames which was a private thing that no-one knew about but the 3 of them. I consider all of those fortune teller type people to be full of sh*t, but this one was bizarrely on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A friend of mine told me this story recently, it's not particularly creepy, but would make the hairs on your neck stand up.

His grand aunt was a nurse in an Army type hospital in the UK during WW2 when one winters night an American bomber crashed near the where she was based.
    She was on shift when three of the injured were brought in , two were horribly burned and the other was badly injured from the impact.
    She attended to the two burn victims throughout her shift ,, but all three died within 24 hrs or so.All were young men with it upsetting her terribly.

She passed away in her eighties about 20 years ago and was buried in her local town. One wintery afternoon, some of family were visiting her grave shortly after she died and as they approached the graveside , they could see three figures in the distance walking further into the cemetery.
    As they reached her grave , the three figures turned, with one giving a friendly wave from maybe 20 metres away before seemingly wandering off.
    .All three were young men , dressed in what looked like air crew uniforms from WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

This ones a bit stupid but I found it really weird and creepy at the time.
    Many moons ago when I started seeing my first serious boyfriend, while at home one day I put my hand into the pocket of my jeans and pulled out this tiny little photo of him that was cut into the shape of a love heart, looked like it had come out of a locket or something. I had no idea where it came from and felt like an absolute weirdo for having it as we had only started seeing each other so I rolled it up and threw it into the stove.
    A couple of weeks later I was looking for shampoo before going to take a shower, I opened the press door and sitting on the shelf was this same little picture of my boyfriend that id thrown away weeks before.
    To this day I have no idea how I ended up with it or where it came from.

I think it was the boyfriend hiding them around the place on you, in some weird psychological "remember that you love me and you can't leave me" kinda thing!

• Advertisement

That is rancid behavior, us normal guys must have some chance if yolks like that can get a date lol but in all seriousness they all sounded foul and one of them was a manager in Maccy D’s hate to be eating from that place. The cheek of him to ring and text after, some ppl are on a different planet, the gut instinct is 99% right everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

" the gut instinct is 99% right everyone.[/quote]

Totally agree with above post. If you haven't read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker, I would highly recommend. It is an amazing read and is all about trusting our gut instincts. So true. Glad you got out of that situation, your gut was advising you for a reason. Horrible situation to find yourself in.

That is rancid behavior, us normal guys must have some chance if yolks like that can get a date lol but in all seriousness they all sounded foul and one of them was a manager in Maccy D’s hate to be eating from that place. The cheek of him to ring and text after, some ppl are on a different planet, the gut instinct is 99% right everyone.
    It is weird but there are people with great jobs and careers that seem normal who live like absolute pigs. My cousin was movinng into a house that had been rented for years by a woman with quite a high up job in hse, single woman. The house when he looked at it was just disgusting, you'd see cleaner crack dens he said. LL had to get professional cleaners in to set it straight. You would wonder had she mental health issues or alcoholic maybe?

also I lived with a guy years back in a houseshare who had a great job, he was a decent enough guy but he never flushed the toilet after himself, pee or poo. Not what you want to see first thinh in the morning :eek:

I think it was the boyfriend hiding them around the place on you, in some weird psychological "remember that you love me and you can't leave me" kinda thing!

Haha I doubt it, it was the exact same picture that I found both times and he hadnt been in my house by this stage, we had only started going out and still living with our parents at the time, I hadnt introduced him yet.

Haha I doubt it, it was the exact same picture that I found both times and he hadnt been in my house by this stage, we had only started going out and still living with our parents at the time, I hadnt introduced him yet.
    Was the stove lit when you threw the photo in?

Was the stove lit when you threw the photo in?

No it wasnt but I rolled it up fairly tight and covered it after I threw it in, it would have been filthy dirt with soot. When I found it a second time there wasnt a mark or a crease on it.

Why would someone dig it out of the stove - It was tiny, clean it up and put it on a shelf in a random press outside the bathroom? Just seems odd that someone would do that.

No it wasnt but I rolled it up fairly tight and covered it after I threw it in, it would have been filthy dirt with soot. When I found it a second time there wasnt a mark or a crease on it.

Why would someone dig it out of the stove - It was tiny, clean it up and put it on a shelf in a random press outside the bathroom? Just seems odd that someone would do that.
    That is weird. Had the BF been in your house at this stage?

That is weird. Had the BF been in your house at this stage?

No, I answered this a few comments back, we had only been dating a couple of weeks and we lived with our parents, I hadnt brought him home yet lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sounds like he was in your house unbeknownst to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sounds like he was in your house unbeknownst to you.

Probably ridin' the ma

Advertisement