Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

LeYouth wrote: »
    Anyone have any (don't laugh) alien encounters ?

Not sure if this qualifies. It was late summer in the late seventies and a fine clear evening. Our extended family cousins etc. were at a pub overlooking a bay in connemara. A few of us went outside the pub and over a nearby hill (about a mile away 250 to 1000 ft, no sound):we saw, what I can best describe as a row of bright glowing orbs. These were moving very slowly. We wondered what they were so we called out people in the pub to have a look. Many came out and eventually went back in with nobody having an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone have any (don't laugh) alien encounters ?
    I wouldn't laugh at that but no.

I have had experiences of 'other worldly beings'. But not in the UFO narrative way. Or i wouldn't recognize them in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a non-believer in all this, but surely this is a perfect case to either prove or disprove ghosts or spirits?

If this has happened to many people, why doesn't a scientific study be set up in this room and find out why people are hearing a baby cry, why the room is cold when heating is on etc?
    maybe because science cant explain everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

oceanman wrote: »
    maybe because science cant explain everything...

I think perhaps technology and science might be able to pick up a baby crying, or the actual temp in a room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

LittleSiog wrote: »
    It's the Maldron, the one in Shandon in Cork

Coincidence maybe I don't know but last night I was looking to book a break for the August bank holiday for the family (something to look forward too if all goes to plan)

filtered the whole of Ireland most places came in at the usual scandalous Irish prices, except one hotel, Maldron in Cork was showing up an super price, so I booked it.

First thing this morning I read this thread and the fist post I see is about the "hotel in cork", I said to myself its going to be the Maldron, continue reading....sure enough it is.

(goes back to booking, Special request: NOT THE THIRD FLOOR)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

fitzparker wrote: »
    Coincidence maybe I don't know but last night I was looking to book a break for the August bank holiday for the family (something to look forward too if all goes to plan)

filtered the whole of Ireland most places came in at the usual scandalous Irish prices, except one hotel, Maldron in Cork was showing up an super price, so I booked it.

First thing this morning I read this thread and the fist post I see is about the "hotel in cork", I said to myself its going to be the Maldron, continue reading....sure enough it is.

They should charge Premium for the 3rd Floor. You know how some people like to go Premium ;):D

The more I experience of ghosts and the supernatural the less it unnerves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

The more I experience of ghosts and the supernatural the less it unnerves me.

Have you done a lockdown in a haunted house at all ?

Have you done a lockdown in a haunted house at all ?
    Several. Nothing ever happened.

My exes house was supposedly haunted. I never experienced anything but strange dreams.

If i feel something is there ..i just talk to it in my mind. It seems to calm things.

TBH though if you were dead. And you could prank people by turning off the lights etc...wouldn't you not be able to stop yourself??

I mean....it would be so tempting!

I don't think ghosts every do anything but be playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't know about the Maldron in cork but did stay two nights at the Maldron in smithsfield dublin...and was woken two nights running with what sounded like someone in the floor above me slamming the door constantly for a period of about ten minutes, mentioned it at reception and no one knew anything about it?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not sure if this qualifies. It was late summer in the late seventies and a fine clear evening. Our extended family cousins etc. were at a pub overlooking a bay in connemara. A few of us went outside the pub and over a nearby hill (about a mile away 250 to 1000 ft, no sound):we saw, what I can best describe as a row of bright glowing orbs. These were moving very slowly. We wondered what they were so we called out people in the pub to have a look. Many came out and eventually went back in with nobody having an explanation.

Ball lightning perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Several. Nothing ever happened.

My exes house was supposedly haunted. I never experienced anything but strange dreams.

If i feel something is there ..i just talk to it in my mind. It seems to calm things.

TBH though if you were dead. And you could prank people by turning off the lights etc...wouldn't you not be able to stop yourself??

I mean....it would be so tempting!

I don't think ghosts every do anything but be playful.

I'd be like that guy on the train in the movie Ghost.

:D

All ghosts are jokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Weller81

fitzparker wrote: »

My teenage daughter is autistic. She often feels and hears thing that we cannot. We've become accustomed to it over the years. She wont go in to Churches for example as the "feel" heavy.

The worst night we had with her in a very long time was just over 2 years ago. We were staying in Cork over the February midterm and she literally cried, stimmed, had tics and begged us to make the whispering stop for the whole night. She had military issued pelters on (ear defenders). We couldn't calm her down using any of the usual interventions and couldn't hear the noise that was distressing her so much.

Yes, it was that Maldron hotel but I cant remember the room number and I never knew the stories about it until this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LittleSiog

Has anyone been to Loftus Hall?

Or better yet, done the overnight in Loftus Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I went in 2017 and did the tour.I thought it was interesting and fun but I didn't notice anything amiss. There is one room that is notedly cooler than the other rooms, they say its where the house owners daughter was kept after she went insane from seeing the devil's feet while he was disguised as a handsome stranger.

I love spooky and creepy things but as a skeptic I've yet to have anything happen to me.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ball lightning perhaps?

Perhaps except there was no thunder. The orbs were very bright and large, judging by the distance away were 20 to 30 foot across!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I have a family story of coincidence. My father was from the neighbouring town land and he bought a field in the mid 80s to build a house on in my town land. It turned out that the field he bought was next to where my mother's grandfather was raised and my grandmother, my mother's mother had played in our field when she visited her grandfather in the 1940s. My great grandfather moved away from here in the 1920s to another townland a few miles away, when he moved away I bet he wouldn't have thought his grand daughter would be living in the next door field 60 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I hesitate to post here about it but I thought why not. When I lived in Ireland I regularly frequented the more scenic parts of Dublin and Wicklow. I vised a lake neat glencree for years without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

One day we took a walk to one of the twin lakes in the region and seen something strange.
    My friend and I were walking on the ridge between both lakes and noticed a large shape rise to the top of the water, not quite breaking through but close enough to see its shape. It was large (5-8 feet across, although measurements at this distance aren't accurate), round, grey and had controlled propulsion. It rose to the top slowly, then moved forward towards the shoreline and back towards the middle of the lake. Then it dived considerably faster than it rose. When I first seen the object (Animal) rise towards the surface it brought up mud or peat with it, staining the waters around it. I knew it wasn't vegetation as the contrast between the colours of the peat around the creature contrasted with the shiny body of the animal. It was a bright summer's day and I can be clear of what I saw.

I didn't mention this story to anyone but my closest friends, to a comical reaction usually. I was a student in UCD at the time and mentioned it to some scientists in the zoology department only to be told it was otters. It was a solid, heavy mass with a completely different mode of propulsion to otters. My friend that day said "it was some sort of mammal" but left it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Have been a couple of times during the day but wouldnt have the balls to do the overnight stay at Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Years ago my mother in law was reading "The Exorcist",

she said it was the most evil book she ever read, so evil in fact she couldn't finish it, so she took it down to the beach and threw it into the ocean.

I bought another copy, ran some water over in it in the sink, and left it in her bedside table drawer.

My father in law said that night was the first time ever she screamed and fainted.

I'm going to hell, but I'll go laughing.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1998 wants its joke back. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

New Home wrote: »
    1998 wants its joke back. :pac:

Funnily enough it keeps coming back :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Years ago my mother in law was reading "The Exorcist",

she said it was the most evil book she ever read, so evil in fact she couldn't finish it, so she took it down to the beach and threw it into the ocean.

I bought another copy, ran some water over in it in the sink, and left it in her bedside table drawer.

My father in law said that night was the first time ever she screamed and fainted.

I'm going to hell, but I'll go laughing.

evil, but funny at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

New Home wrote: »
    1998 wants its joke back. :pac::P

blinding wrote: »
    Funnily enough it keeps coming back :P

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479faf9b0beccdaad1f8fd6fde54350973a4924e70&rid=giphy.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Whehey! wrote: »
    I literally was so afraid, I couldn't function! The only thing I could do was put the cover over my head and stay still for ages trying even not to breath or move. I can't even explain how scared I was! I stayed under the covers till morning, and we did swop rooms after that. That room became the spare room then.
    If that was me I would have to bin my sheets and buy some new ones :eek:

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well I hesitate to post here about it but I thought why not. When I lived in Ireland I regularly frequented the more scenic parts of Dublin and Wicklow. I vised a lake neat glencree for years without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

One day we took a walk to one of the twin lakes in the region and seen something strange.
    My friend and I were walking on the ridge between both lakes and noticed a large shape rise to the top of the water, not quite breaking through but close enough to see its shape. It was large (5-8 feet across, although measurements at this distance aren't accurate), round, grey and had controlled propulsion. It rose to the top slowly, then moved forward towards the shoreline and back towards the middle of the lake. Then it dived considerably faster than it rose. When I first seen the object (Animal) rise towards the surface it brought up mud or peat with it, staining the waters around it. I knew it wasn't vegetation as the contrast between the colours of the peat around the creature contrasted with the shiny body of the animal. It was a bright summer's day and I can be clear of what I saw.

I didn't mention this story to anyone but my closest friends, to a comical reaction usually. I was a student in UCD at the time and mentioned it to some scientists in the zoology department only to be told it was otters. It was a solid, heavy mass with a completely different mode of propulsion to otters. My friend that day said "it was some sort of mammal" but left it there.

Could someone have released one of these into the lake? Or a large air pocket of decaying matter rising to the surface and then sinking?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/g/giant-freshwater-stingray/

It would be awful. He was miserable and angry as hell. Stuck on a poxy subway for eternity and he couldn't even have a smoke :(

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a non-believer in all this, but surely this is a perfect case to either prove or disprove ghosts or spirits?

If this has happened to many people, why doesn't a scientific study be set up in this room and find out why people are hearing a baby cry, why the room is cold when heating is on etc?
    ILYV could spend the night in room 319 when it reopens.

They could film any strange activity and post it on here for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

ILYV could spend the night in room 319 when it reopens.

They could film any strange activity and post it on here for us.

Here is my "strange" view on filming ghosts.
    A ghost is a personality or consciousness without a body anymore.It doesn't change very much when it loses its body and possibly gets more afraid and quieter and maybe more sensitive to electrical frequencies as it has lost its ability to touch(maybe other senses develop/get stronger)
    A lot a people come into its "home" with cameras and sensors all that "electrical" stuff.They wont go to sleep,they are constantly looking and listening.They are upsetting its way of life so it leaves and doesn't come back till they are gone.

I wouldn't blame the ghost for legging it:)

Advertisement