Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

A nightmare is not creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Shoelaces wrote: »

Nightmares can be the creepiest things some of us will ever experience

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nightmares can be the creepiest things some of us will ever experience
    Even more so with sleep paralysis, it is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Shoelaces wrote: »

Of course they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

They say you can't die in your dreams. But i had a dream where i died one night. Very creepy.

I've had a few dreams when I 'died'. Getting shot during an incident or being run over by a car. But there was no darkness in my dreams I just saw people arranging my funeral or bad news getting broken to my family.

Its always those dreams when you know you're dreaming so when I wake up its never a shock or feeling of terror. Like another poster said it was never creepy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

I was 18 and out with friends when I decided to skulk off and meet a guy, 24, who was texting me on grindr. I met him in his house on the city outskirts and I felt uncomfortable straight away. He seemed depressed and dirty, he did use real pictures but they were from a better time. Stench of cigarettes and bo off him. I was too shy to back out so I sat down on the couch making ****ty small talk (about my leaving cert of all things) and he went back to his room to plug in his phone so it "wouldnt disturb us". We didnt do much more than kissing when I asked him to get me something from the kitchen, and when he got up I darted for the door. I didnt try to suddenly rush out without saying goodbye because I was scared of him or anything, but because I just felt so overwhelmed I wanted the whole thing to end. I got to the front door and he sprung into the hall behind me asking what I was doing and to come back, I tried to open the door but it was locked. I entered major panic mode because I thought i was gonna be raped and killed, none of my friends even knew where I was. So I started beating the **** out of him and kept screaming for him to open the door, he got a set of keys from a hallway desk and unlocked the door, I was out like a ****ing rabbit. I remember the front gate just being old/stiff on my way in and I was afraid he'd be able to catch up to me before I got past it. I felt like Id never get out. I flung the gate back and legged it. I met my friends when the clubs closed and I told them I was thrown out of the club and drifted around for a while.

I dont know who lived in the house with him, but some of my friends say i completely overrected by not giving him a chance to explain himself. They think that he probably just locked the door to stop roommates/his parent from walking in on us, which is possible. But if that was the reason then I dont get why he lied about putting away his phone, because that must have been when he locked the door, and even if it was the case that wasnt a reason to hide the keys in the drawer. Either way, better safe than sorry. Never in my life have I felt that feeling of dread so strongly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mattdhg wrote: »
    I was 18 and out with friends when I decided to skulk off and meet a guy, 24, who was texting me on grindr. I met him in his house on the city outskirts and I felt uncomfortable straight away. He seemed depressed and dirty, he did use real pictures but they were from a better time. Stench of cigarettes and bo off him. I was too shy to back out so I sat down on the couch making ****ty small talk (about my leaving cert of all things) and he went back to his room to plug in his phone so it "wouldnt disturb us". We didnt do much more than kissing when I asked him to get me something from the kitchen, and when he got up I darted for the door. I didnt try to suddenly rush out without saying goodbye because I was scared of him or anything, but because I just felt so overwhelmed I wanted the whole thing to end. I got to the front door and he sprung into the hall behind me asking what I was doing and to come back, I tried to open the door but it was locked. I entered major panic mode because I thought i was gonna be raped and killed, none of my friends even knew where I was. So I started beating the **** out of him and kept screaming for him to open the door, he got a set of keys from a hallway desk and unlocked the door, I was out like a ****ing rabbit. I remember the front gate just being old/stiff on my way in and I was afraid he'd be able to catch up to me before I got past it. I felt like Id never get out. I flung the gate back and legged it. I met my friends when the clubs closed and I told them I was thrown out of the club and drifted around for a while.

I dont know who lived in the house with him, but some of my friends say i completely overrected by not giving him a chance to explain himself. They think that he probably just locked the door to stop roommates/his parent from walking in on us, which is possible. But if that was the reason then I dont get why he lied about putting away his phone, because that must have been when he locked the door, and even if it was the case that wasnt a reason to hide the keys in the drawer. Either way, better safe than sorry. Never in my life have I felt that feeling of dread so strongly.
    He was hoping you were a banger but from his point of view he got a headbanger !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Jeez it is a complete overreaction.....he might have just locked the door and put keys away out of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I do not think you over-reacted: that feeling of dread should never be ignored - your subconscious had picked up the smell of danger and the details like locked door etc. bear this out.

I think we have "spidey senses" in our old brain that are alert to dangers, and they give us warning: don't ignore them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

368100 wrote: »
    Jeez it is a complete overreaction.....he might have just locked the door and put keys away out of habit.

The beating was a bit much but, to me, that whole setup sounded incredibly dodgy.

Definite “vibe” of that post never being posted had he stayed. Because he’d be buried in a shallow grave off in the middle of nowhere.

Minus his head, of course, that would be kept under a bedroom floorboard only to be taken out, and “used”, for special occasions.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,351 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yep, I've experienced that feeling a couple of times and I never ignore it.

If in doubt, get out.

The beating was a bit much but, to me, that whole setup sounded incredibly dodgy.

Definite “vibe” of that post never being posted had he stayed. Because he’d be buried in a shallow grave off in the middle of nowhere.

Minus his head, of course, that would be kept under a bedroom floorboard only to be taken out, and “used”, for special occasions.

That's very detailed, Emmet, was it you? :eek:

:D

The BO would be a red flag anyway, if you're anticipating an amorous encounter you wash yourself. I'd be wary of anyone who didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The BO would be a red flag anyway, if you're anticipating an amorous encounter you wash yourself. I'd be wary of anyone who didn't.

I can't understand Any one who would arrange a meet like that and not wash themselves. .vomit.

Was He on drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

On a lighter note... my phone randomly rings people from across the room (with no voice activation setting).

Last time, it rang my barber - is it hinting at something???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

368100 wrote: »

I always lock the door, especially if company were over.
    And if my date was high tailing out of there I'd try to talk them into staying.
    There may be a more sinister thing to it but beating the crap outta him?
    Over reaction or life saving action? Who knows?

cj maxx wrote: »
    I always lock the door, especially if company were over.
    And if my date was high tailing out of there I'd try to talk them into staying.
    There may be a more sinister thing to it but beating the crap outta him?
    Over reaction or life saving action? Who knows?

If someone is clearly uncomfortable and trying to leave most rational people would have explained the door was locked and told them where the keys were, not try to get them to stay.

That vibe and the dread you experience is terrifying, we do tend to overreact when panicked. The poster was only 18 at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

talla10 wrote: »
    Its always those dreams when you know you're dreaming so when I wake up its never a shock or feeling of terror. Like another poster said it was never creepy
    I sort of have to agree with this. I've had dreams where I have fallen off a local bridge onto a walkway underneath (the height of drop would mean certain death in reality) and all I can say is that it was somewhat stressful during the dream more than anything else. Thinking back on it after it possibly seems mildly creepy but during the dream itself the best emotion I could use is mildly stressful. Maybe that's just me and my innate inability to experience the full spectrum of emotions and feelings when sleeping.

Anyway my own unnerving experience....
    My aunts husband, an absolute gentleman, died fairly young back in 1991 after a brief illness. He was in a small hospital for a week or so before his death and they lived about 30-40 miles away from us.

The phone like a lot of other things we were the last to get it in and we did not have a landline in the house at the time. We had got word of a few family deaths from neighbours who had the phone in before this...a lot of my relations had their number for emergencies etc.

Anyway on this evening as I recall I was out for a walk with my mother and my 2 siblings. Not long back and I in particular heard a bang below in my sisters room, which previously would have being my parents room. Went down to look and a picture had randomly fallen off the wall. The odd thing was that there was absolutely no reason for it to fall off. It wasn't like it was cleaned or tampered with in any way for some considerable time beforehand. It was an internal concrete wall and there was no drilling etc of any walls in the house soon beforehand either. No one would have being in the room for some time beforehand for that matter.

We got word later that evening that our aunts husband had died. We worked out that he would have passed in around the same time that the picture fell.

The picture also landed upright against the wall and for whats it worth it was a tapestry of a castle in our local town (a town which the man that died had no affirmative connection with).

I am a logical person and would always look for a logical rational explanation in these situations before I rule in supernatural so as to speak. But I just can't find a logical explanation in this instance. I did post this story over in the paranormal forum many moons ago but got ridiculed for it badly enough there.

If someone is clearly uncomfortable and trying to leave most rational people would have explained the door was locked and told them where the keys were, not try to get them to stay.

That vibe and the dread you experience is terrifying, we do tend to overreact when panicked. The poster was only 18 at the time too.

No, it sounds to me like his first sexual experience outside his comfort zone, and he freaked out. He didn't say he was leaving, he just bolted. The guy took the keys out of a hallway drawer not his pocket or hidden away. So yes while unnerving and frightening it seems like it's the op that freaked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I sort of have to agree with this. I've had dreams where I have fallen off a local bridge onto a walkway underneath (the height of drop would mean certain death in reality) and all I can say is that it was somewhat stressful during the dream more than anything else. Thinking back on it after it possibly seems mildly creepy but during the dream itself the best emotion I could use is mildly stressful. Maybe that's just me and my innate inability to experience the full spectrum of emotions and feelings when sleeping.

Anyway my own unnerving experience....
    My aunts husband, an absolute gentleman, died fairly young back in 1991 after a brief illness. He was in a small hospital for a week or so before his death and they lived about 30-40 miles away from us.

The phone like a lot of other things we were the last to get it in and we did not have a landline in the house at the time. We had got word of a few family deaths from neighbours who had the phone in before this...a lot of my relations had their number for emergencies etc.

Anyway on this evening as I recall I was out for a walk with my mother and my 2 siblings. Not long back and I in particular heard a bang below in my sisters room, which previously would have being my parents room. Went down to look and a picture had randomly fallen off the wall. The odd thing was that there was absolutely no reason for it to fall off. It wasn't like it was cleaned or tampered with in any way for some considerable time beforehand. It was an internal concrete wall and there was no drilling etc of any walls in the house soon beforehand either. No one would have being in the room for some time beforehand for that matter.

We got word later that evening that our aunts husband had died. We worked out that he would have passed in around the same time that the picture fell.

The picture also landed upright against the wall and for whats it worth it was a tapestry of a castle in our local town (a town which the man that died had no affirmative connection with).

I am a logical person and would always look for a logical rational explanation in these situations before I rule in supernatural so as to speak. But I just can't find a logical explanation in this instance. I did post this story over in the paranormal forum many moons ago but got ridiculed for it badly enough there.

I say that was a fun forum, that’s a legit story in fairness. Maybe the fact ye didn’t have a landline played a factor so this was the only way to send the message through that he had passed to the other side. It is freaky though to be fair. You would think this was the least of the mad stories that a paranormal forum would have. Anyway I think most here will like that story and agree it was freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I say that was a fun forum, that’s a legit story in fairness. Maybe the fact ye didn’t have a landline played a factor so this was the only way to send the message through that he had passed to the other side. It is freaky though to be fair. You would think this was the least of the mad stories that a paranormal forum would have. Anyway I think most here will like that story and agree it was freaky.
    Ah, many thanks. I could be wrong but I would have thought that the Paranormal forum is at least meant to be the more serious forum and AH the more lighthearted fun forum where a cheap pop at someone is more expected with the Mods turning a blind eye unless it gets very serious. No cheap pops yet here though to be fair!

I do suppose the Paranormal forum does draw its share of cynics just looking to rip these kind of stories to shreads and almost insinuate that the person telling them is a nutjob. I would have rathered they dissected the story and put forward a rational explanation rather than taking cheap pops at me and calling Bull S*** on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Ah, many thanks. I could be wrong but I would have thought that the Paranormal forum is at least meant to be the more serious forum and AH the more lighthearted fun forum where a cheap pop at someone is more expected with the Mods turning a blind eye unless it gets very serious. No cheap pops yet here though to be fair!

I do suppose the Paranormal forum does draw its share of cynics just looking to rip these kind of stories to shreads and almost insinuate that the person telling them is a nutjob. I would have rathered they dissected the story and put forward a rational explanation rather than taking cheap pops at me and calling Bull S*** on it.

Plenty of tools waste their time on negativity. Enjoyable story and seems very related. Things work in mysterious ways.

What about " Don’t Wash “ from Napoleon to Josephine in a Letter when he was on his Way !;)

No, it sounds to me like his first sexual experience outside his comfort zone, and he freaked out. He didn't say he was leaving, he just bolted. The guy took the keys out of a hallway drawer not his pocket or hidden away. So yes while unnerving and frightening it seems like it's the op that freaked out

In a closed drawer is hidden away. I, personally, leave the keys in the door when “locking up”. Or, at least, on a table near enough the door.

The poor hygiene is a major “red flag”, the drawer key is the second warning. Beating the guy may have been an over-reaction but when someone wants to leave you do not try to stop them. You can ask them what’s wrong etc but you open the locked door.

There are two types of lads who always give off these “bad vibes”. One is the type with poor personal hygiene, a disgusting creature and one to avoid.

The other is the type who lives in an “immaculately” clean place and locks every door behind them and, sometimes, even when they are in a room. This is, definitely, the more dangerous of the two.

Again, I think the correct course of “action” was taken in this scenario. Albeit, maybe, in a, slightly, heavy-handed way.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

I agree I was very new on the scene and I could have finessed a better way out, made some excuse about a friend calling or whatever, but oh well. If he had locked the door after me when I came in, left the key in it and explained about parents/house mates it would have been one thing, but it was a totally other thing to find the door locked when I was not expecting it to be.

Looking back I get a laugh out of how quick I jumped the gun and resorted to violence straight away, I probably shouldnt have, I should have given him a chance. It is still unnerving though that he lied about putting his phone away to lock the door and put away the key, thats what really makes me worry about what could have happened if I didnt force him to let me out.

Edit - I don't think he was on drugs, I never suspected it at least. He wasnt unlike someone who was depressed and in a bad rut - unkempt and straggly, just totally not caring about himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Either way, better safe than sorry. Never in my life have I felt that feeling of dread so strongly.

Always trust your gut instinct, that's thousands of years of evolution screaming at you even if you can't explain it rationally.

Your description of that feeling reminded me of another weird encounter when I was about 13 years old.

I was babysitting for a friend of a neighbour, my first time to sit for them (and last but I'll explain why). I was very young and didn't know the family at all but it was a pretty standard arrangement for those times.

They had a little baby maybe a couple of months old and a toddler both were sleeping when I arrived and the parents waved me off told me they'd be back late.

I was there a couple of hours just chilling watching television and checking on the kids etc when suddenly this man opens the front door (with a key) and walks in.

Turns out he was the childrens mother's brother who was either staying with them or had decided to drop by alone while they were out (mother never mentioned that he might be calling).

He'd clearly been drinking and I was instantly filled with an awful feeling in my stomach. He was very unkempt and I just got really bad vibes, it was so awkward for a few minutes he sits down to watch TV and makes himself at home.

Then he started to ask me if I wanted a can of beer or a smoke. I declined as politely as my nerves would allow and started to make an excuse to get into the kitchen where the house phone was (no mobiles back then either).

I was terrified as I dialled my mams number as quick as I could before he could notice all the while trying to pretend that this situation wasn't weird as hell.

When I explained to my mam she said I'm coming to get you now, get out of the house and wait outside in the street, what about the kids I said, I can't leave them here with this oddball. No way to contact the parents so you are just coming home now.

I never experienced the sheer awful feeling of dread when that man was sitting across the sofa looking at me knowing I couldn't get out of the situation easily. It's like a sixth sense definitely and it feels irrational afterwards but at the time the message is clear, get the f away from this now!!

Anyway my mam arrived and I left and she called the parents to explain what had happened. I never went back to babysit for them again and didn't get paid either :)

I agree I was very new on the scene and I could have finessed a better way out, made some excuse about a friend calling or whatever, but oh well. If he had locked the door after me when I came in, left the key in it and explained about parents/house mates it would have been one thing, but it was a totally other thing to find the door locked when I was not expecting it to be.

Looking back I get a laugh out of how quick I jumped the gun and resorted to violence straight away, I probably shouldnt have, I should have given him a chance. It is still unnerving though that he lied about putting his phone away to lock the door and put away the key, thats what really makes me worry about what could have happened if I didnt force him to let me out.

Edit - I don't think he was on drugs, I never suspected it at least. He wasnt unlike someone who was depressed and in a bad rut - unkempt and straggly, just totally not caring about himself
    I didn't put the phone thing and locking the door together.
    Anyway you're alive and well to tell the story which is the main thing. Not exactly the "pounding" that was hoped for though :)

Looking back I get a laugh out of how quick I jumped the gun and resorted to violence straight away, I probably shouldnt have, I should have given him a chance.

There a great “scene” in the film ‘The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ where Daniel Craig gets caught “snooping” around the house of a suspect.

He makes some lame “excuses” and the suspect character pretends to accept them, he invites Craig in for a drink and, even though, he knows he shouldn’t go in he does.

The suspect guy delivers a good speech about Daniel Craig’s situation that includes the line “It's hard to believe that the fear of offending can be stronger than the fear of pain”.

If you haven’t seen the film it’s worth checking out. Wouldn’t recommend it for a “date”, a few scenes make for, particularly, uncomfortable viewing.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

When you mentioned he was putting away his phone so it wouldn’t disturb ye, my first thought was he was setting up a secret camera.

When you mentioned he was putting away his phone so it wouldn’t disturb ye, my first thought was he was setting up a secret camera.
    You Ladies do get a bit carried away with yourself be-times ! !

What is the Mother / Father of these Fantasies Ladies ? ? :eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

blinding wrote: »
    You Ladies do get a bit carried away with yourself be-times ! !

What is the Mother / Father of these Fantasies Ladies ? ? :eek:;)

Unfortunately theres been cases of nonconsensually filmed sex being uploaded to pornhub.

Advertisement