Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Came home this evening from work to find my bedroom window ajar. I am certain it was closed yesterday. The only two people who live here is myself and my girlfriend and it wasn't touched. There's not a possibility it would open by itself. We live on the second floor in a building in Dublin, with no way to climb in from the outside bar a ladder.

Wouldn't mind but my girlfriend said her house keys have gone missing since just after Christmas and she can't find them. If you don't see me online tomorrow, you'll know what happened!
    368100 wrote: »
    I live in my own, nobody else has keys to house as I've recently changed locks...only moved in in november.
    Came home the other evening and the rug in front room was folded over on itself.....definately wasn't like that when I left.
    No idea what happened, no windows left open, no fireplace and the door to room was closed

The both of you should buy a Neos camera on Amazon for twenty quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

saabsaab wrote: »
    Considering the recent news re Commemorations I thought this would be at home here too..

There is a Village I know of that is rumored to have a ghost figure that appears to some. The figure is said to be in uniform and a 'Tan' or 'Auxie' that died there and appears near a corner on the way out of the village. Not said to do a lot but stands and stares at those unlucky to see him. .he is said to disappear after a few seconds.

Local lads after a bit too much or a Garda waiting to do a checkpoint?

Probably just Charlie Flanagan trying on his new clobber.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

On night last November I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. As i approached it, the door was about halfway open and I could see a soft glow reflecting on the wall. When I got to the door and opened it fully, the glow was gone and the bathroom pitch dark. Theres a small window, but with trees outside so you cant see the sky or the moon. no idea what it was though my girlfriend, when staying a few weeks earlier, saw much the same thing. I didnt get up thinking I wanted to see what she saw - I got up because I wanted a piss and what she had told me wasn't in my brain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Is that a mid lands village.

No, not this Ghost. The Village is in Co Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

razorblunt wrote: »
    The both of you should buy a Neos camera on Amazon for twenty quid.

Thanks! I wasn't even aware of that brand...have a ring doorbell that works with alexa but their other cameras are very expensive so this is a great option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No, not this Ghost. The Village is in Co Clare.

which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Mam passed away just after I turned 18. She had just given me a birthday card which wasn't really a birthday card aside from the message she wrote inside. The front had a picture of a white owl sitting on the branch of a tree.

Dad started dating someone a few years later. For my 21st, she gave me a card which had the same picture of that white owl on the branch. It read: "I'm sure your mother will find her own way of telling you just how proud she is of you today". I didn't realise the coincidence at the time. Only when we were moving house and I was clearing out my drawer of memory stuff did I see the two of them. Weirdest thing that's happened me so far anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

CPTM wrote: »
    Mam passed away just after I turned 18. She had just given me a birthday card which wasn't really a birthday card aside from the message she wrote inside. The front had a picture of a white owl sitting on the branch of a tree.

Dad started dating someone a few years later. For my 21st, she gave me a card which had the same picture of that white owl on the branch. It read: "I'm sure your mother will find her own way of telling you just how proud she is of you today". I didn't realise the coincidence at the time. Only when we were moving house and I was clearing out my drawer of memory stuff did I see the two of them. Weirdest thing that's happened me so far anyways.

Genuinely unnerving.
    Is that lady still in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 different women bought a random card with an owl on the front as a birthday card.

And for your 2 significant birthdays too.

I'm not buying this story.

Genuinely unnerving.
    Is that lady still in your life?

Yes they've been married now for almost 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

NIMAN wrote: »
    2 different women bought a random card with an owl on the front as a birthday card.

And for your 2 significant birthdays too.

I'm not buying this story.

No hard feelings, but I've noticed you don't seem to buy many stories. Telling us you don't buy the story doesn't add anything to the story (or thread). You seem to pop up in the psychic forums just to tell people that none of it is real too.

Maybe just leave the person with the thought that their dear mom is messaging from beyond the grave and if the truth is that it's a coincidence, or they're making it up, well it's no harm done really. We're never going to know anyway.

On topic, one night I wrote a song about the Kray twins. Next morning I was startled awake by what sounded like a rough, gangster voice. No one was there. I don't live near people. I suppose it was my unconscious. I'm sure they both have better things to do. Mind you, it was a **** song.

Other strange things have happened to me. Not gonna reveal them right now-I'll leave you all in gripping suspense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

got caught putting my finger in a cake at work, not my own native fingies but one of my collection i carry in my pocket for keypads :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    No hard feelings, but I've noticed you don't seem to buy many stories. Telling us you don't buy the story doesn't add anything to the story (or thread). You seem to pop up in the psychic forums just to tell people that none of it is real too.

Maybe just leave the person with the thought that their dear mom is messaging from beyond the grave and if the truth is that it's a coincidence, or they're making it up, well it's no harm done really. We're never going to know anyway.

There is absolutely no harm in believing things on an individual basis, it can provide comfort to people.

However 'psychics' should be called out at every available possibility as they are nothing short of charlatans that can cause real damage to peoples lives and their mental states with their lies and cons. It is absolutely undeniable that it's all complete rubbish.

Anything on an individual basis is fine but when you start to effect other people's lives you should absolutely be called out on it.

As for this thread, although I don't believe in anything paranormal I really enjoy reading it and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was like that when I was younger. ie ordinary wrist watches. Even the ones that you wind up.
    NB not worn a watch for decades so no idea if it is still so,

The reason was yes too much electricity; same as when I brushed my long hair sparks would fly,

I just googled and yes it is valid, Sorry cannot post links from this machine but google " why wrist watches stop working on some people" . Explains it perfectly

She claimed that her body had too much electricity! Whatever that was supposed to be?

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was like that when I was younger. ie ordinary wrist watches. Even the ones that you wind up.
    NB not worn a watch for decades so no idea if it is still so,

The reason was yes too much electricity; same as when I brushed my long hair sparks would fly,

I just googled and yes it is valid, Sorry cannot post links from this machine but google " why wrist watches stop working on some people" . Explains it perfectly

Did a quick google but didn't see any scientific explanation? It did say that this 'explanation' dated from the 19th century as an excuse for bad watch repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Feck you anyway lads. I was reading this thread and thought I could hear a noise in the house. Checked the dog and she was panned out in the kitchen.
    Still could hear noises occasionally upstairs but knew that there couldn't be a snowballs chance in hell that there was someone up there.
    Anyway I sat down in the living room and within minutes I could hear noises upstairs again.
    Feck this I says I'm going up. Checked my daughter's rooms and all ok. Bathroom was fine. Walked into the spare room and there was the reason for the noise....a bird flying around the room!!
    I had left open the attic hatch and it obviously had got in through the roof and made it's way into the spare room.
    I opened the windows and chased it out...after it had shìt all over the quilt!!

fryup wrote: »
    which one?

Lahinch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Okay now this is a weird one that I still think about a lot. I don't believe in ghosts but this has me perplexed.

First we have the facts.

I lived in a house where the back door made a huge clacking sound when open and closed. It just always did. It was a sound that was unique as it was an old door. My family just left it as is.The front door has a bell hanging on it so this way we always heard anyone coming or going.

I was in my early teens and my parents had gone away. Supposed to be gone for a few days. They went away with my grandparents to Dublin.

I used the time to stay up late watching tv as you do as a kid! So I was having late nights and sleeping in late.

So my parents are not due back for another few days. I was asleep in my room and it is down the end of a hall. At the top of the hall is a door that is the kitchen and that has the back door.

My dad said to me before they left that as I have a front door key that I should use that to come and go. Before he left, he locked the back door TWICE. This is a lock down near the handle and another lock up at eye level. My dad says that I may lose the keys so he takes them with him to keep in the car. I don't mind as I have a front door key. I made sure every night to have all windows and front door locked.

Now, if the back door is opened it takes a few mins and you will hear the clacking noise.You will usually hear the top lock too as the lock rattles as it was a bit loose. This is why there is two locks. Don't ask me why we never fixed it, we just didn't! Another thing is that when the back door is opened, whichever way the house was it would create a bit of a wind that would make the door leading to the hall gently open up slowly. Just a quirk of the house.

So here is the weird bit....

I am asleep and its sometime in the morning.Lying in as usual. I hear just a clacking noise and half wake up.I'm kinda becoming awake like you do when you wake up. No lock rattling. This is possible to do if you are very quiet. I am half awake and I remember thinking my parents are back early. Then I hear footsteps and my door opening. I could tell that it wasn't my mother as she walks quieter so I thought it was my dad.The light gets switched on.

I am facing the opposite way towards the wall kinda with quilt pulled up over me. Nothing is said but I knew there was someone at the door.Seems like a min and nothing is said. I kinda am half awake and say angrily "turn off the bloody light" Then I hear a voice saying " Don't worry (my name) everything will be fine. It will all be okay. Look after your mother"

I was thinking it was my dad and I'm kinda thinking WTF. I shout "turn off the bloody light" as it was too bright.I turn around in the bed and look at the door. My eyes are adjusting to the light so I am kinda squinting. I see the door close and just an old hand reaching for the light. (Like you were leaving a room and closing the door but reaching in to turn off the light) The hand turns off the light and I hear footsteps going up the hall.

Then as I sit up I remember, wait a sec, that wasn't my dads voice and didn't look like my dads hand.So who was that? I start thinking its a thief and jump up straight away and jump to the door.I open it and see the door at the top of the hall glide open. This means the back door is being opened. I hear the back door clack twice as its opened and closed as I reach the kitchen door.Then go in and rush to back door. Its still locked and shut. I'm like WTF. I look out the back window and there is no one in the back garden.

I ran to the front door to check it. Its locked. I ran to the front window to see if anyone running away or something but its all quiet. I quickly check all rooms and everything is as it should be.

I return to my bedroom and start getting dressed. I'm like puzzled and thinking what is going on.As I thought about that voice, I began to realise it was very like my grandfathers voice. I'm thinking how weird is that.

Then I hear a car in the driveway and then the back door locks are being rattled as they are opening. 2 clacks as the door is opened and closed and then its my dad in my room.

I said when did you arrive? He said just now. I asked him were you in here turning on the light a few minutes ago? He said no of course not. Look I don't have time for this. I have bad news. Your grandfather has passed away in Dublin.I am just here collecting a few things that we need and going back up straight away.

Now I have thought about this a lot. I said I must have been just dreaming the whole thing but what I am positive I did not dream, was me running up the hall, seeing the door glide open and hearing the usual back door opening and closing noises. I was definitely wide awake for that. Then the door being locked when I got there. I said it must have been my dad somehow but he said he only came in once.He was driving and I could hear any car in the driveway if it was there. So he didn't stop the car outside , come in then go out and then drive into the driveway and then come in. He always drove into the driveway. And when I looked out there was no car there.

There were no key noises so how could the door open? If the door was opened very quietly it would take a few mins being very quiet. Using the keys took a few mins anyway as they were old locks. I was up there very quick so the "person" would only have got out that quickly if the door wasn't locked. Of course why is this "ghost" using a door? I have no idea.

Everything seemed really real to me from seeing the hand and hearing the voice. It didn't feel like I was asleep but I have to say in my rational mind that I must have dreamt that part as otherwise I have no explanation.

I even carried out tests on the door! If I was in the hall, could the wind make that clacking noise by bumping the door. I couldn't reproduce it. It would only happen when opened and closed. I did think that maybe the wind blew the kitchen door open and had bumped the back door. I have never seen that happen as the door was a heavy door that kept the wind out unless it was open. I watched out on windy nights to see would the noise happen but it didn't. I tried the kitchen door seeing if it would swing open on its own accord but it wouldn't. Only when a draught was there. I really could not reproduce the events unless you open and closed the back door. I knew the sound like the back of my hand.

Then a while later I was talking to my parents about my grandfather. I was asking about how he died and they said he knew he was going and the last words he said to my mother was "look after your mother" meaning my grandmother. Really strange or maybe just a coincidence but thats what the voice had said to me.

In one sense its creepy but in another way it was good as was he saying goodbye? I don't believe it either but I can't explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was in my early teens and my parents had gone away. Supposed to be gone for a few days. They went away with my grandparents to Dublin.

You must have been an exemplary early teen that they felt they could leave you on your own for a few days. I'd never have been allowed an empty gaff like that. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

You must have been an exemplary early teen that they felt they could leave you on your own for a few days. I'd never have been allowed an empty gaff like that. :eek::D

Not surprised with that username:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Probably just Charlie Flanagan trying on his new clobber.:D
    Charlie Flanagan’s fantasies could be causing problems in Ireland for years to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My 9 yr turns around to us tonight and goes ' I know you're cheating on (the wife)', comes over to me puts her head against mine 'i bet you've got some secrets in that head.' - I'm a faithful husband but that creeped the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

sweetie wrote: »
    My 9 yr turns around to us tonight and goes ' I know you're cheating on (the wife)', comes over to me puts her head against mine 'i bet you've got some secrets in that head.' - I'm a faithful husband but that creeped the hell out of me.

That is weird. Did you not ask her to explain herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

sweetie wrote: »

I'd say the wife is chatting away with her lady friends in front of your kid about how "he always works late" and "I don't trust that jessica girl he works with, she's too pretty"

@The White Feather
    That sounds exactly like the vision my aunt had as she was waking up in the cabin she shared with her husband when travelling home by sea having lived abroad for years. I posted much earlier about it-she saw her mother waving goodbye and sending her away from the door as they arrived down the drive. The mother said “So sorry, I have to say goodbye”. When they arrived to Dublin they learned the mother had just died. My aunt described her having appeared in a particularly vivid dream when awakening, a time when vivid dreaming tends to occur. My own mother was at home with their mother as she was dying, in 1960, a time of few telephones. Their mother had been prescribed rather too much aspirin for her arthritis and was losing immense blood internally (but gradually enough over 48 hours, due to the aspirin). They all thought she just had nasty gastroenteritis as gradual bleeding isn’t visible as bright red, but dark vomit etc. The doctor was slow to come and then just said it’s too late to do anything. Not the days of quick blood transfusions. With the increasing blood loss the poor woman was feeling increasingly weak and expressed to my mother her great concern about being well enough to greet the family and feared she might possibly die, the way she feeling. It seems this emotion got telepathically transferred to my aunt in a dream.

It is likely your grandfather was mostly concerned for your mother and you, thinking of you alone in the house as he became fatally ill. It seems he might have come to you in a vivid awakening dream.

Okay now this is a weird one that I still think about a lot. I don't believe in ghosts but this has me perplexed.

First we have the facts.

I lived in a house where the back door made a huge clacking sound when open and closed. It just always did. It was a sound that was unique as it was an old door. My family just left it as is.The front door has a bell hanging on it so this way we always heard anyone coming or going.

This is the longest post I've ever read and enjoyed on Boards. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try google again as explanations are given. We have too much static in iur bodies and that interferes with the mechanism. Same as when our hair sparks on brushing and nylon underwear sparks when we take it off.

Totally scientific. I always had too much static and watches that were fine on others failed on me.
    Did a quick google but didn't see any scientific explanation? It did say that this 'explanation' dated from the 19th century as an excuse for bad watch repair!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Try google again as explanations are given. We have too much static in iur bodies and that interferes with the mechanism. Same as when our hair sparks on brushing and nylon underwear sparks when we take it off.

Totally scientific. I always had too much static and watches that were fine on others failed on me.

Sorry, not that I don't believe you or don't believe that this can happen but have you any search terms or links to that.

I saw this link, which says that static electricity won't stop a watch.

https://www.swagnavigator.com/why-watches-stop-working/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I'd say the wife is chatting away with her lady friends in front of your kid about how "he always works late" and "I don't trust that jessica girl he works with, she's too pretty"

I'd say she was just watching something a bit grown up on tv or YouTube. I remember going through a brief period of being obsessed with the idea of grown ups having affairs when I was about 8 or 9 despite not being 100% sure about what really it meant. Kevin Webster's fault, the dirty dog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The weirdest thing just happened me, I was chatting to my brother who lives abroad with his wife and when I was finished I went upstairs to my room and I was just thinking of them and wondering how long before they would have their first child together and thinking maybe she's pregnant already and then my youngest brother comes into me and says SIL is pregnant! I couldn't believe it! maybe its just a coincidence but maybe two weeks back I was walking home from the village and passed where my cousin works and was thinking of him and next thing he pops out of nowhere! "Alright boi" another coincidence maybe but has this happened anyone else before? its been happening regularly enough the last couple of months but there the only incidents that I can remember.

Advertisement