Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I was getting in to bed one night alone about 2.30, 3am and just as I lay my head on the pillow I heard an unmerciful shout in my ear. It was awful and loud and had me sitting bolt upright instantly with my heart fit to burst. I'll never forget it.

auspicious wrote: »
    I was getting in to bed one night alone about 2.30, 3am and just as I lay my head on the pillow I heard an unmerciful shout in my ear. It was awful and loud and had me sitting bolt upright instantly with my heart fit to burst. I'll never forget it.

I get this fairly often, though it's a loud bang in my case. It's called Exploding Head Syndrome! Not a terribly comforting name for a harmless occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i usually hear the house phone ring for a split second before i nod off..same sort of thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I drove a car with no key in the ignition from Yeovil in Somerset to Glastonbury. The keys were on the kitchen table all the time. I had forgotten them. When I arrived in Glastonbury I went to turn off the ignition and there were no keys. There were only one set of keys. At home. My friend had to drive out with the keys to were I was parked so I could go back home. It was as if the ignition was started by my mind or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I get this fairly often, though it's a loud bang in my case. It's called Exploding Head Syndrome! Not a terribly comforting name for a harmless occurance.

I sometimes hear a bang or my name being called very clearly. Obviously just part of the brain transitioning into sleep mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I did say obscure-ish!

Grand tune like, just what are the odds.

It's just funny cos it's far from obscure-ish. It's played very regularly on the radio especially on 90s throwback type programmes, and was platinum in a few countries. Not having a dig at you, just having a giggle at how old your post made me feel if a very popular song from over 25 years ago is suddenly obscure-ish.

Anyway, off topic, and I'll not post again about it, even if it did freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

You learn something new everyday!

"...Common reported noises include gunfire, cymbals, fireworks, shouting, explosions, doors slamming, thunder, or electrical static..."

Phew it's not just me then.
    I'd take that falling feeling while asleep anytime over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

MrAbyss wrote: »
    I drove a car with no key in the ignition from Yeovil in Somerset to Glastonbury. The keys were on the kitchen table all the time. I had forgotten them. When I arrived in Glastonbury I went to turn off the ignition and there were no keys. There were only one set of keys. At home. My friend had to drive out with the keys to were I was parked so I could go back home. It was as if the ignition was started by my mind or something.

wtf ?

No steering lock, ****ing lucky, nearly hedged it before passing door keys to someone doing that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

At the moment I getting like 4 premonitions daily. Sometimes about tiny stuff ..its really clear too. Once or twice about serious stuff.

Why don't i get the lotto numbers!???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Oooh I have one.

Long story behind this involving some decisions which were ethically fine but legally not so much, anyways, one of my housemates ended up with a collection of very old (1890s up to 1920s) glass photography plates, it was a family collection so all the same people in it, you could see them growing up, it was nice. I'd say it was the first time they were looked at in decades. Meticulously organised and labelled, real labour of love, and a quite fantastically expensive one I'd imagine. Hundreds of the things.

I was looking through them and there was one with two little boys in it, I read out their names, wondered aloud if they were alive and then saw the date and said "oh no, they must be long dead and gone". Like the second that last syllable left my mouth, the radio turned itself on. It's an old analog radio, you have to slide a click button across to turn it on and off, there was nobody near it.

My housemate was really freaked out, I wasn't though, thought maybe someone had left it on but not tuned into a station (though there wasn't any static) and for some reason something had appeared on that frequency. It's a local radio station.

The next day though, I was up at my friend's house and as I was leaving I was humming a song that had been in my head all day. He asked is that such and such a song, tis says I, well that's fcuking weird says he, that's been in my head all day too.

Left the house, popped in my headphones, turned on the radio which was tuned to that same local station, and what fcuking song is playing? :eek:

Now, obviously had it been an Ed Sheeran song or something, that's a bit of a coincidence but nothing really odd. But, it was quite an old, obscure-ish song. By a little band called Ace of Bass. With a little chorus that goes

"I saw the sign
    I opened up my eyes
    I saw the sign"

tl;dr: child ghosts are haunting me through the medium of radio to punish me for saying they're dead, and also for handling their property :D I think they've given up now though because they got bored because I could not give a fcuk. House I grew up in is allegedly haunted, I would say I am open minded about and also deeply disinterested in the existence of ghosts. Fcuking turn the radio on and off and move sh1t around and bang doors see if I fcukin care I'm fcuking alive!!! Stupid fcuking dead eejits.

I think if it would have been a Roaring 20s song,you might have been on to something.But Ace Of Base.No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

At the moment I getting like 4 premonitions daily. Sometimes about tiny stuff ..its really clear too. Once or twice about serious stuff.

Why don't i get the lotto numbers!???

I once had a dream about the Lotto numbers. Out came five numbers clear as day only the last number didn't come out of the drum! It wasn't that I did the lotto that often either.

I played the lotto the next day using those numbers or what I remembered them and had a match 4!

Pretty weird if not premonition.

Many years ago I met a girl who claimed that any watch she wore would stop within a day or so. I asked if it happened with a digital watch too and she said it didn't matter they all stopped. She also claimed that she could tell when a phone would ring a few seconds before it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

saabsaab wrote: »
    Many years ago I met a girl who claimed that any watch she wore would stop within a day or so. I asked if it happened with a digital watch too and she said it didn't matter they all stopped. She also claimed that she could tell when a phone would ring a few seconds before it did!

I could do this back in the 90s early 00s as the signal would come through a radio speaker 1st....

She shouldn't believe the water proof gimmick as it's water resistant not fully waterproof.... That could explain a lot....

I could do this back in the 90s early 00s as the signal would come through a radio speaker 1st....

She shouldn't believe the water proof gimmick as it's water resistant not fully waterproof.... That could explain a lot....

Ha that explains a lot, no special powers then!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ha that explains a lot, no special powers then!

Oh I forgot you could get a LED stick on light for the rear of the phone and that would light up before the call would register on the phone....

Oh I forgot you could get a LED stick on light for the rear of the phone and that would light up before the call would register on the phone....

She claimed that her body had too much electricity! Whatever that was supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

She claimed that her body had too much electricity! Whatever that was supposed to be?

I know alot of old people that claim this.

My husbands grandad could grab on to live electric fences and not get shocked by them...either that or he had a very high pain threshold :D

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    I know alot of old people that claim this.

My husbands grandad could grab on to live electric fences and not get shocked by them...either that or he had a very high pain threshold :D

I'd say calloused hands that don't conduct that well. I've met many old farmers with hands like that. Tough as old boots unlike my soft hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

When my son was about a year old he was upstairs in his cot having a nap. I was downstairs cleaning and noticed the calpol was missing. I had this split second day dream (nightmare?) that he had it and opened it. I went upstairs to check on him and he had an open bottle of calpol. If I had been 2 seconds later he’d have emptied it into his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Many years ago I met a girl who claimed that any watch she wore would stop within a day or so. I asked if it happened with a digital watch too and she said it didn't matter they all stopped.

She likely wears watches on her left wrist and had a murmur/irregular heartbeat.

They are known to distort the bodies natural magnetic field and in many cases, because the heart leans slightly to the left, wearing a watch on the left wrist can cause a magnetic pull on the watch battery and essentially fry it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I'd say calloused hands that don't conduct that well. I've met many old farmers with hands like that. Tough as old boots unlike my soft hands.

Oh that's a good point actually - never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Had the strange sensation I'd won win on the lotto went to scan my euromilions ticket one day in the local spar and machine read "please present ticket to cashier" handed my ticket to the cashier told them what the machine said, he honestly turned to me and said "no way you must have won a really big prize" I nearly got sick with excitement and said "do you think" and he turned to me and said "no the machines broken, it has that message on it all day" and burst out laughing.... turns out I didn't win a thing!! But I did laugh, he got me good little fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

A really stupid one but today I was walking into town when I noticed an old man up ahead of me standing outside a shop. I dont know why but in my head I said to myself that he's going to ask me what time it is. As I walked past him he called after me and asked me for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

tupenny wrote: »
    You think you heard a noise.. wow

No, I distinctly heard it. Would I have gone to the bother of relaying the tale otherwise?

Read my post again, including the big words this time...get help with them, if necessary.

Happy new year, you fu(king troll. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

mumo3 wrote: »
    Had the strange sensation I'd won win on the lotto went to scan my euromilions ticket one day in the local spar and machine read "please present ticket to cashier" handed my ticket to the cashier told them what the machine said, he honestly turned to me and said "no way you must have won a really big prize" I nearly got sick with excitement and said "do you think" and he turned to me and said "no the machines broken, it has that message on it all day" and burst out laughing.... turns out I didn't win a thing!! But I did laugh, he got me good little fecker

I would have kicked his head in.

Considering the recent news re Commemorations I thought this would be at home here too..

There is a Village I know of that is rumored to have a ghost figure that appears to some. The figure is said to be in uniform and a 'Tan' or 'Auxie' that died there and appears near a corner on the way out of the village. Not said to do a lot but stands and stares at those unlucky to see him. .he is said to disappear after a few seconds.

Local lads after a bit too much or a Garda waiting to do a checkpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Came home this evening from work to find my bedroom window ajar. I am certain it was closed yesterday. The only two people who live here is myself and my girlfriend and it wasn't touched. There's not a possibility it would open by itself. We live on the second floor in a building in Dublin, with no way to climb in from the outside bar a ladder.

Wouldn't mind but my girlfriend said her house keys have gone missing since just after Christmas and she can't find them. If you don't see me online tomorrow, you'll know what happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I live in my own, nobody else has keys to house as I've recently changed locks...only moved in in november.
    Came home the other evening and the rug in front room was folded over on itself.....definately wasn't like that when I left.
    No idea what happened, no windows left open, no fireplace and the door to room was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Considering the recent news re Commemorations I thought this would be at home here too..

There is a Village I know of that is rumored to have a ghost figure that appears to some. The figure is said to be in uniform and a 'Tan' or 'Auxie' that died there and appears near a corner on the way out of the village. Not said to do a lot but stands and stares at those unlucky to see him. .he is said to disappear after a few seconds.

Local lads after a bit too much or a Garda waiting to do a checkpoint?

Is that a mid lands village.

• Advertisement

Came home this evening from work to find my bedroom window ajar. I am certain it was closed yesterday. The only two people who live here is myself and my girlfriend and it wasn't touched. There's not a possibility it would open by itself. We live on the second floor in a building in Dublin, with no way to climb in from the outside bar a ladder.

Wouldn't mind but my girlfriend said her house keys have gone missing since just after Christmas and she can't find them. If you don't see me online tomorrow, you'll know what happened!

If it were me, I'd be changing the locks.

Advertisement