Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

"Coping" doesn't really come into it.... Training kicks in... A bit like the movies... Take cover, move to observe, prepare to return fire or **** off, depending....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Noo wrote: »
    I was picking up the other half after work. I pulled up outside his building and waited, it was absolutely pissing rain. I had the radio on a station I love, but they're based further away so sometimes you can lose the signal a little if you turn a particular corner.

The way I was parked at the big building made it go a little funny. While some song was playing I hear something else cut in a say "Noo I love you". It kinda sounded like when a presenter keeps their mic on over a song and dont realise. It only happened that once, no other funny cutting in and out.

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation, or coincidence of some sort but it definitely weirded me out.

Could be that the presenter and a colleague were getting amorous and hit the mic switch by accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Gorteen wrote: »
    Lebanon 1982. Got fired on by one of the many armed groups in the area at the time. Take your pick... PLO, Christian Militia, AMAL, Israelis....

The sound of bullets cracking just over your head is horrible!

It’s amazing memories long since forgotten, that can come rushing back because of what someone else said. Since a teenager have always refused the third light of a lighter after listening to a WW2 soldier being interviewed About the trenches.

Lighter lit to light first cigarette .....ready
    Lights second cigarette.......aim
    Third cigarette........fire.

I’m sure you’re experiences were very unnerving. Thanks for your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Slowly working my way through this brilliant thread and loving the stories. I'll try keep it as short as I can.

This happened to me last Saturday night, nothing ghostly but very unnerving. I was in my local pub having a few pints. I live in the country and a little over 2kms from the pub in the village. It was a bright frosty night and I decided I'd walk home, I gave my sister a text saying I'll be fine. It was around 12.30 and I had 4 pints.

I live on the end of a long country road (not a dead end). Its about 1.5 km long. Its straight and you can see from end to the other in the day. It's your typical country road with humps, hollows and pot holes. I was up towards the end of the road, about 400 m from home, it's not far off 1 AM.
    I saw the lights of a car turn onto the road and it was coming fairly quick up the road. I got a gut feeling to stand well in off the road. I stood into a field entrance, turned my back to the road and pulled up the hood of my jacket. I wasn't wearing a hi vis. The car passed by fairly quickly but about 10 meters up the road it locked on the breaks and reversed back to the entrance into the field.
    In the mean time I jumped the gate and hid in along by the ditch, there was a little gap I could hide in, where animals would take shelter. Two fellas jumped out of the car, jumped up on the gate and shined a strong torch across the field. I was absolutely shaking at this stage. I remember one of the guys saying "I was certain there was someone standing here" the other fella said "we'll drive around again and keep an eye out". They got back into their car and slowly drove away. This only lasted a minute at most.

Once I knew they were gone I rang my sister and asked would she pick me up. I was literally home but I was too scared to go the rest of the way for fear I'd meet this car. My sister picked me up in a few minutes. We went to the other end of the road to turn around. On our way back up the road, we met the car again and they were stopped at the field again shining in a torch.

I didn't recognize the car, it was an 08 shape Audi A4 with English plates and it was diesel, I knew by the sound. I'm glad I didn't find out what would happen if I met those people.

That's scary.
    I think you done the right thing by hiding, our instincts are there to protect us and your subconscious was picking up very bad vibes from those men. They had no good intentions, I hope you don't still walk home on your own at night SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Really love this thread, would love to see a small summary of those stories voted the very best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Really love this thread, would love to see a small summary of those stories voted the very best
    That's a good idea, or even a link to each of the top 3/5/10/
    Lebanon 1982. Got fired on by one of the many armed groups in the area at the time. Take your pick... PLO, Christian Militia, AMAL, Israelis....

The sound of bullets cracking just over your head is horrible!

What's the saying, a "whizz" sound is close, a "crack" means it's just missed you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Blanco100 wrote: »

On a desktop site if you 'search' the thread for *, you can then rank the posts by most thanked. The link is here but dunno if it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On a desktop site if you 'search' the thread for *, you can then rank the posts by most thanked. The link is here but dunno if it'll work.

Thanks!

Worth reading this one story if nothing else.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82221749&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

razorblunt wrote: »
    Thanks!

Worth reading this one story if nothing else.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82221749

Thanks for that, best story ever!!

razorblunt wrote: »
    What's the saying, a "whizz" sound is close, a "crack" means it's just missed you?

The crack is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.... It's difficult not to imagine the effect if you were to be hit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The crack is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.... It's difficult not to imagine the effect if you were to be hit!

Ouch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Never forgotten this one, was out staying in a community beach retreat when I was about 13/14 and we used to walk the beach late at night with the leaders and local parish priest.

One night we were walking up the beach, we happened to look behind us and in the distance we saw the figures of two nuns which brought a huge chill to the my bones, we turned away to look ahead and turned back and they had disappeared, wiped out to say the least. So when we turned back around to continue our walk the Two Nuns were up the other end of the beach and then disappeared. Freaky. I still wonder wtf we saw that night. The place is known for a few ghost stories down the years but that one I experienced and still to this day wonder but gives me a chill everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Never forgotten this one, was out staying in a community beach retreat when I was about 13/14 and we used to walk the beach late at night with the leaders and local parish priest.

One night we were walking up the beach, we happened to look behind us and in the distance we saw the figures of two nuns which brought a huge chill to the my bones, we turned away to look ahead and turned back and they had disappeared, wiped out to say the least. So when we turned back around to continue our walk the Two Nuns were up the other end of the beach and then disappeared. Freaky. I still wonder wtf we saw that night. The place is known for a few ghost stories down the years but that one I experienced and still to this day wonder but gives me a chill everytime.

Penguins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

4 Nuns?

4 Nuns?

The Same two

No ghosts in mine but was scared there was going to be one; me!

When I lived in a different county I used to go to a special place to pick blackberries.

A narrow high-hedged lane leading to a pretty well tended quay and the ocean. Was there a few times every year and never saw another soul. It was one of my favourite places.

This time I drove down as usual; there were two cars, and a small boat coming in. I parked and got out of the car.

Then realised something was going on

The men in the boat and a man on the shore where the boat would land were talking agitatedly on phones, and staring at me.

Did not know what to do as they seemed so upset and clearly summat was amiss.

You could cut the tension with a knife.

And so alone down there.

Rather than get back in the car turn round and flee? Act normal, play innocent. Little old lady eyes straight ahead, picking blackberries.

So that is what I did. No one could see the sheer terror inside; wondering if someone was going to have to tell my family I had met a sticky end.. IF they ever found …

Up the lane I meandered.... back to the sea and shore; show no interest. Picking berries, eyes front in the hedge! Shaking inside.

After what seemed like an hour, one of the cars roared past me.

I hesitantly went back to the quay; the boat had vanished and there was one car hidden under trees.

I vamoosed! Went to the Post Office and told the lady and she ordered me to do NOTHING . Clearly she knew what was going on and it was dangerous. My family said the same.

Could have been drug or people smuggling?

Unnerving to say the least,

Graces7 wrote: »
    No ghosts in mine but was scared there was going to be one; me!

When I lived in a different county I used to go to a special place to pick blackberries.

A narrow high-hedged lane leading to a pretty well tended quay and the ocean. Was there a few times every year and never saw another soul. It was one of my favourite places.

This time I drove down as usual; there were two cars, and a small boat coming in. I parked and got out of the car.

Then realised something was going on

The men in the boat and a man on the shore where the boat would land were talking agitatedly on phones, and staring at me.

Did not know what to do as they seemed so upset and clearly summat was amiss.

You could cut the tension with a knife.

And so alone down there.

Rather than get back in the car turn round and flee? Act normal, play innocent. Little old lady eyes straight ahead, picking blackberries.

So that is what I did. No one could see the sheer terror inside; wondering if someone was going to have to tell my family I had met a sticky end.. IF they ever found …

Up the lane I meandered.... back to the sea and shore; show no interest. Picking berries, eyes front in the hedge! Shaking inside.

After what seemed like an hour, one of the cars roared past me.

I hesitantly went back to the quay; the boat had vanished and there was one car hidden under trees.

I vamoosed! Went to the Post Office and told the lady and she ordered me to do NOTHING . Clearly she knew what was going on and it was dangerous. My family said the same.

Could have been drug or people smuggling?

Unnerving to say the least,

First of all your bravery or stupidity ( no offense) at the time it's kind boggling but when confronted like that you gotta go with the first thing in your mind. A boat, shady characters and a hidden car under a tree, it all points to drugs for sure. When advised to say nothing then that's the best advise you ever heard. Freaky stuff though, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Baby sat for a friend one time and heard giggles in the hall. I went up and kids asleep they were 2 and 3 at time. Went back to room happened again went up kids asleep. I pretended to go to my room hid for 40 minutes, nothing. Checked kids asleep.

I went back down hall, giggling again. I leaned out of door and said a name of the ghost that was there if it woke the kids there would be war and to go to bed. Ghost would have been about 5 if alive. No more noise rest of night.

First of all your bravery or stupidity ( no offense) at the time it's kind boggling but when confronted like that you gotta go with the first thing in your mind. A boat, shady characters and a hidden car under a tree, it all points to drugs for sure. When advised to say nothing then that's the best advise you ever heard. Freaky stuff though, thanks for sharing.

lol.. I did the right thing; had I jumped back in the car, in the time on the narrow quay it would have taken me to turn round? Would not have stood a chance and would have alerted them. Their extreme reaction warned me.

I think about it when I see the posters at quays; be alert, if you see anything suspicious eg possible smugglers, call us.. But they could have my car number?

lol.. I did the right thing; had I jumped back in the car, in the time on the narrow quay it would have taken me to turn round? Would not have stood a chance and would have alerted them. Their extreme reaction warned me.

I think about it when I see the posters at quays; be alert, if you see anything suspicious eg possible smugglers, call us.. But they could have my car number?
    Yea go with your gut eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think the bullet is at it's max velocity when it leaves the barrel and that's where it breaks the sound barrier, therefore if a bullet cracks going over your head I don't think the crack sound can be attributable to the sound barrier being broken?

Sorry I know it's off topic, I just started thinking of the physics of it, thankfully I have no first hand experience! :D

Yea go with your gut eh.

I get more scared now thinking of it than I did then! Learnt self control in my teaching years.

jiltloop wrote: »
    I think the bullet is at it's max velocity when it leaves the barrel and that's where it breaks the sound barrier, therefore if a bullet cracks going over your head I don't think the crack sound can be attributable to the sound barrier being broken?

Sorry I know it's off topic, I just started thinking of the physics of it, thankfully I have no first hand experience! :D

Speed of sound 343 m/second
    Velocity of M16 (5.56mm) rifle(as a random example) 900 m/second

http://sciabc.us/cez9j

I get more scared now thinking of it than I did then! Learnt self control in my teaching years.

You were completely innocent but these days things are so dodgy you can't even walk past anything innocently anymore. Like that guy walking home from a night out hiding in a ditch and the car reversed back to see if there was anyone there, that's scary stuff. All because others were up to no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Like that guy walking home from a night out hiding in a ditch and the car reversed back to see if there was anyone there.

I thought in that case if one was out driving late at night and you saw a guy hiding in a ditch or field or whatever it was, it would be normal to go check it out.

Those guys will probably post in this thread soon to tell us about the one time they thought they saw a dark figure in a field and went to check it out and nothing was there...creepy.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

That's scary.
    I think you done the right thing by hiding, our instincts are there to protect us and your subconscious was picking up very bad vibes from those men. They had no good intentions, I hope you don't still walk home on your own at night SP.

I just drive now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

ONE TIME I WAS HITCHING FOR A LIFT HOME AT NIGHT AND A CAR PULLED IN ABOUT 10 FEET AHEAD THEN I WALKED UP AND OPENED THE PASSENGER DOOR AND THERE WAS A SKELETON DRIVING THE CAR

This one makes me laugh every time. The "crutches" story is scary as hell

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I thought in that case if one was out driving late at night and you saw a guy hiding in a ditch or field or whatever it was, it would be normal to go check it out.

Those guys will probably post in this thread soon to tell us about the one time they thought they saw a dark figure in a field and went to check it out and nothing was there...creepy.:pac:
    For them to say I thought I seen someone we'll drive back around doesn't sound normal, you'd be freaked out and wouldn't be returning for seconds.

I had an appointment today that ive been looking forward to all week but this morning I had a bit of an unexpected situation at home and ended up having to cancel the appointment. I contacted the place and told them I was sorry to cancel at such short notice and explained the situation and that I would have to reschedule.
    The weird thing is last night I had a dream that I couldnt make the appointment, in the dream I was texting the place my appointment was apologising and telling them I couldn't make it and will need to reschedule. I woke up feeling really disappointed that id missed my appointment and feeling bad that id let them down with such short notice as they require 24hrs. I checked my phone, relieved to see it was only 9am and I hadnt infact missed the appointment and all was well.
    20 minutes later the incident happened preventing me from making my appointment.

Yea I've had this kinda thing for years now, I just don't envisage my bring in a certain place that I had an appointment for or booked to go to. Always felt like a situation would arise that I couldn't go and on most occasions I couldn't go. Could be an anxiety thing I dunno but good to hear I'm not the only one. On another weird on I can watch a match and say without any shadow of a doubt here's a goal coming weather I'm watching on tv or live at a match, every now and again it just washes over me. Might not sound much but it's literally instant, sometimes I even see the goal bring scored before the event.

• Advertisement

My friend paints childrens sets. Animals, circus characters etc.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a matryoshka around here or there now and then, there's just been a spate of them since.

There's that inevitably that you spot these things more, I was looking to buy a certain type of car and I never seen so many before because I had it in my mind and was more conscious of them but with social media it's freaky, you only think of something in your mind and an add comes up for it through the day, weird weird and weird.

Advertisement