Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

This happened about 2 weeks ago, but it is not an isolated event in my house.

My bedroom has a room connected to it with a water heater and a bunch of wardrobes in it. One day I was on my own in the house and I went downstairs to get a glass of water, when I came back there was noise coming from the room that sounded like someone moving about in the room and not being quite, it sounded like someone was opening and closing a bunch of doors in the room. I instantly thought someone must be home and playing a trick on my so I called out saying hello. The noise went quite for a moment but then resumed.

I went over in my head where everyone was and I was 100% that everyone was gone out and I would have seen them coming back if they had so I was convinced that there was a burglar in my room. At this point I am freaking out, I am so scared and I start looking around my room for a potential weapon. I pick up this golf swing trainer thing which is like a half golf club with a weight on the end of it and I draw it back ready to smack any intruder, as I am walking into the room the noise is really loud, but as I get in it goes completely silent and there is nobody there, but all the doors in the room are open even doors that I wouldn't have opened for years.

I am freaked out at this point, so I ring my friend after nearly having a heart attack. I was literally shacking on the phone to him. I've never been so freaked out in my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

While it's not a personal experience, here is a news story which I find incredibly unnerving to this day (with a link to the article here):
    An Italian woman has been killed in a car crash only days after she narrowly avoided being a victim of the Air France plane crash.

Johanna Ganthaler and her husband Kurt were on holiday in Brazil and were supposed to take Air France flight 447 back to Paris.

But they missed the doomed flight and decided to take a different flight home to Europe instead.

All 228 people onboard the Air France flight were killed when it crashed in the Atlantic.

But the two pensioners had barely managed to digest the terrible tragedy they had managed to avoid when they involved in a car accident.

Their vehicle crashed after veering across a road in Kufstein, Austria, according to the Italian news agency ANSA.

The car swerved into an oncoming truck and Mrs Ganthaler was killed.
    Her husband was seriously injured.

Mrs Ganthaler was from the Italian province of Bolzano-Bozen.

The moment I heard about this, the first thing that came to mind was Final Destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

kjl wrote: »

My bedroom has a room connected to it with a water heater and a bunch of wardrobes in it. One day I was on my own in the house and I went downstairs to get a glass of water, when I came back there was noise coming from the room that sounded like someone moving about in the room and not being quite, it sounded like someone was opening and closing a bunch of doors in the room. I instantly thought someone must be home and playing a trick on my so I called out saying hello. The noise went quite for a moment but then resumed.

I went over in my head where everyone was and I was 100% that everyone was gone out and I would have seen them coming back if they had so I was convinced that there was a burglar in my room. At this point I am freaking out, I am so scared and I start looking around my room for a potential weapon. I pick up this golf swing trainer thing which is like a half golf club with a weight on the end of it and I draw it back ready to smack any intruder, as I am walking into the room the noise is really loud, but as I get in it goes completely silent and there is nobody there, but all the doors in the room are open even doors that I wouldn't have opened for years.

I am freaked out at this point, so I ring my friend after nearly having a heart attack. I was literally shacking on the phone to him. I've never been so freaked out in my whole life.

Yuck . And u say it's not an isolated incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

face1990 wrote: »

Definitely an urban legend. Great story though!

But I don't actually get why she was in danger. Makes no sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

A good few years ago i was probably about 7 or 8. i'm 22 now. Anyway, i was in bed it was very late but i was awake. i looking over at my curtains and seeing the most frighting looking face i'd ever seen, i blinked, and in a split second i was at the other end of my bed, the face was staring me out of it. and i saw a purple rope the ones that do be usually hanging in post offices etc... then i heard this creepy music like it was being played from an organ. Freakiest thing that has ever happend to me. and i still to this day have no idea what it means.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

But I don't actually get why she was in danger. Makes no sense to me

There's a few bits of that don't make sense! I suppose the implication is that the men were going to kill her too?
    But how the doctor knew that, and how he could tell the woman was definitely dead and not just drunk requires a little suspension of disbelief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the reports of weird sky sounds heard accross the northern hemisphere in 2011? Theres a scientific explanation btw but they sound like something from a horror film. 20seconds into the Budapest vid kind of spooked me a good deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsrFXM2RT-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTh-AelSEmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-v8fvgtJQ

I hear similar noises on a regular basis on some mornings when I wake up. Never been scared or anything by them I have heard them for years. Not loud enough to wake you from sleep but clearly audible when you wake up in otherwise silence.

I live pretty close to the airport and motorway and just assumed its a one of, or a combination of both??? I've no idea what it actually is though!? :eek:

Also, I remember hearing similar noises in the War of the Worlds movies, apparently research was done and such noises where used as they give a very daunting and eerie almost 'impending doom' sense from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

l have to go downstairs in the dark to switch off the broad band :(:(

That's truly scarey - you have to switch off the Broadband! :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

face1990 wrote: »
    There's a few bits of that don't make sense! I suppose the implication is that the men were going to kill her too?
    But how the doctor knew that, and how he could tell the woman was definitely dead and not just drunk requires a little suspension of disbelief.

Also why a doctor in Paris would speak in English to a stranger instead of French seems just a little suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

dorkacle wrote: »

I hear similar noises on a regular basis on some mornings when I wake up. Never been scared or anything by them I have heard them for years. Not loud enough to wake you from sleep but clearly audible when you wake up in otherwise silence.

I live pretty close to the airport and motorway and just assumed its a one of, or a combination of both??? I've no idea what it actually is though!? :eek:

Also, I remember hearing similar noises in the War of the Worlds movies, apparently research was done and such noises where used as they give a very daunting and eerie almost 'impending doom' sense from them?

Like the same noise in kerry ?! Seemingly the council came out to investigate and couldn't hear it . http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/locals-despair-as-the-hum-makes-life-a-living-hell-189224.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baldstuffandy

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

yip I just pooed a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

kjl wrote: »

Something very similar happened my friend from college a few years ago. He shared a house with three other lads. This only happened to him but a few times when he was on his own in the house he would hear a noise, a creaking noise like someone was continually opening and closing a wardrobe door in one of the bedrooms.

At first he thought it was someone messing with him. The noise would get increasingly louder until he went to the room and the noise would just stop as soon as he got to the door. He searched the room and couldn't find anything that could have made the noise, this happened a few times with the same result. He was getting quite freaked out about and had even considered moving house but didn't want to lose his deposit.

Then one night when his friends were out he heard the wardrobe noise from upstairs again. He tried to ignore it but after a few minutes of this there was a crash from the room, like a mirror fell and broke. He ran into the kitchen and got a knife he was that scared, after a few minutes of silence he went upstairs to see what it was, he opened the door to the room and tried turn on the light but it didn't work. He took a few steps into the room trying to see what had crashed and just as he was a few feet in he felt something brush past him. He froze on the spot and wanted to leave but couldn't move, the door closed and left the room was in complete darkness, then the creaking wardrobe noise started again, opening and closing. His housemates came home later that night and found him in the wardrobe dead. Dead thirsty, he was physically grand.

Hope that reassures you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

In the past Ive had premonitions of things that end up coming through. Nothing too fancy... Like being in a place n then some time later being in that exact place. Or a premonition of meeting someone or a job interview that end up coming to pass.

This has been a pretty constant part of my life for over 20 years but as I said... All pretty mundane stuff.

The last one I had changed that though. I had it about 5 years ago and have never had one since. I died in it... And to this day I refuse to allow any elements of that premonition to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

I believe you. The same thing happened to a friend of my grandfather years back. He was out setting traps for rabbits in a field during the day and when he had the work done he went home. Later that night he returned to the field to see if he had caught anything. What he saw was that all the traps were opened but there were no rabbits caught in them. He found this terribly strange and went around and closed all the traps again. When the work was done he decided to go home but could not see the gate he came in anywhere. He walked around and around the field for about an hour but there was still no sign of the gate. Eventually he decided to jump through the ditch and he landed not too far away from where the gate was. He could not see the gate from the inside but could only see it when he jumped out. Similar story to yours.

yes, i heard a similar story form a woman in her 40s who said this happened to her mother- maybe in the 1950s circa.. it was a field that had an 'ogarie'- which i guess translates to little forest as this field has a grove in it that is purported to have fairies..she could not find the gate either she claimed..

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Sometimes my old radio would pick up on pilots heading to Shannon- always at 11am on a sat morning I'd hear "cabin crew prepare for landing" and such :D I loved it! Mind you I wouldn't have if I'd heard "mayday!"

This happened to my friend's boyfriend's colleague's friend so it's prob an urban legend but still such a freaky story:

This girl was working in Paris one summer and she would get the metro back to where she was living. Anyway the metro is quite dodgy at night and she was nervous enough being in a practically empty carriage.

There is only one other passenger, a middle-aged man reading a newspaper.

Two guys get on at the first stop. They're obviously drunk or on something and the girl feels immediately frightened. Worse again, they're carrying a girl between them, propping her up and dragging her to a seat opposite the Irish girl.

Now the girl with the two guys is out of it on drink or drugs. She keeps lolling forwards, she's glassy-eyed and the guys keep picking her up. They make her lean back and she spends the journey staring at the Irish girl.

These guys are dog rough and she feels very intimidated by the trio. She doesn't know especially when the girl's gonna snap out of it and she hates the way she's staring at her.

At the next stop the middle-aged man gets up and sits next to her. She wonders what the hell he's playing at.

Behind his newspaper, he says to her in English "get out at the next station, trust me".

The girl is terrified. She can trust no one on this train. She thinks if she does do what the man says she can make a run for it to her flat, the next station is open air and not too far from where she lives.

She gets out and runs like hell. The man chases after her, shouting "stop! Stop!"

He catches up with her and it takes her a while to calm down and listen.

"I'm sorry I frightened you," the man says. "You were in danger from those people.

"You see, I'm a doctor. The girl with those men- she wasn't drunk. She was dead."

I couldn't sleep the first time I heard that story!!

That story reminds me a little bit of Dunmharu ar An Dart.. anyone who did the Junior Cert circa 1996 knows what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

L0ui5e wrote: »
    That story reminds me a little bit of Dunmharu ar An Dart.. anyone who did the Junior Cert circa 1996 knows what I'm talking about

Holy ****. Flood gates just opened seeing that again!

Speaking about paris, l was there about 6 or 7 years ago on a school tour with my year.

It was night time & we were all together in some part looking over the city. Me & my friend werent listening so we were just looking around us.

About 30-40feet away there was 3 or 4 young guys, looking in our direction. They kept staring at us next thing they started waving at us to come up to them! Course we thought oh they us like us or something stupid like that!!

We were both looking at eachother like will we or wont we go...they kept waving at us to come up to them.....thank f*** we didnt. God knows what would have happend. Thinking back we were so stupid to even think about going off with them.

I immediately thought of..
    'I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you' :eek:

At least I didn't mention the 'P' word..
    Small craggy granny living on a certain island.. that opens my flood gates :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

I was living in rented accomodation about 5 years ago.

One night I was woken by what sounded like a woman screeching very loudly .I felt like I had been physically thrown from the bed against the wall, my duvet was on the floor. I jumped up turned on the light, grabbed my duvet and sat shaking in the bed for the rest of the night. I kept trying to work up the courage to make my way into my housemates room but I was paralysed with fear!

The next day, I had calmed down and convinced myself that I had had a nightmare. After a few days I told my housemate the story and her face went pale......the exact same thing had happened her and she too had spent that same night sitting up in bed, terrified!

The more we talked about it the more we remembered strange unexplained things had happened us in that house.... Finding items that we were sure we had put somewhere else in a cupboard down stairs etc.

There were two other girls living in the house but, not wanting to upset them, we decided not to say anything.

We all went on a night out a year or so after we moved out. Decided to tell one of them the story, her mouth dropped open....the same thing had happened her (not sure if on the same night)

Even now 5 years on I am still terrified when I think about it (I'm not gonna be able to sleep now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

l have to go downstairs in the dark to switch off the broad band :(:(

why are people turning off their broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

On my phone and can't find the crutches story...probably a good thing. I'm really freaked out by some of these stories!

I'd rather wet the bed than walk to the bathroom tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

On my phone and can't find the crutches story...probably a good thing. I'm really freaked out by some of these stories!

Don't read the crutch story, I had to sleep with my headphones on last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Here you are! :D
    The most vivid thing thats happened to me is 'the crutches'.

I was about 10 or 12, and asleep in my bed, which was upstairs and across a hallway. I was woken up in the middle of the night by noises downstairs. The house is quite big, and based on the layout of the house, I would have been the only one able to hear it, the other bedrooms are in a newer part of the house.

The noises sounded like someone on crutches walking around. It was all wooden floors in the house at the time, and you can't mistake the sound of crutches. Just the sound of them clacking around in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs. I was very scared, since I knew noone was awake in the house.

But, it got worse. All of a sudden, the crutches just....flew up the stairs. I could hear them on the individual steps, but...the speed of them was just not possible. It was two seconds from downstairs to upstairs, and then...ACROSS THE HALLWAY!

It wasn't even attempting to be quiet, it just...exploded into my room. My door was closed, and remained closed. My door was a noisy creaky yoke, and it never opened. But, this thing, was in my room, and beside my bed.

Obviously, while the noise and crutches flew up the stairs and into my room, I had thrown myself under the blankets and was trying not to breathe with fear. I could feel something in the room. It clicked quickly around to the opposite side of my bed (the inner side) and...silence. I never looked, I never heard, but something was there, and looking at my bed.

I have no idea how long it went on for, but as quickly as it came, it flew back around my bed, and 'through' the door, and back downstairs. Silence in the house. I'm 90% sure I never heard it again.

I've actually had quite a few experiences, none as...definitive as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Don't read the crutch story, I had to sleep with my headphones on last night!

Now I have to read it! I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm on a computer.

Already thinking how bad can it be??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I lost my father 4 years ago after a short battle with lung cancer. It was a Sunday afternoon on his final day when I arrived to visit him in the hospital, my sister was already there. His final hours were rough, when he wasn't in pain he was asleep with the morphine. We eventually lost him at 11.30pm, seeing a tear fall down his cheek as he took his last breath will live with me forever. Anyway, it took another couple of hours to say our last goodbyes and deal with the nurses and at 2.30am we headed back to the car. We were both emotionally drained at this point, it was a cold January night and the car needed deicing. My sister was driving and as started to reverse her phone rang. Her phone was in her handbag so she asked me to get it for her. I'll never forget taking that phone out of her handbag, it was DAD MOBILE. The stunned silence in the car that moment was overwhelming, you could hear a pin drop, My sister who was an emotional wreck burst into tears, I pressed answer and the next 5 seconds were the longest of my life, nothing on the line at all.
    We eventually made it home to very little sleep and went back to had to go back to the hospital the next morning to collect his things. It was only then that I realised there must have been a logical explanation for that call. Whilst tidying up his things one of the nurses had picked up his phone and inadvertently touched the last number redial button. Probably.
    Sorry, if that's a sad story but it was also the most unnerving thing to happen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/247/b/7/scary_stories_by_thegendra-d2y056f.gif

>> scary_stories_by_thegendra-d2y056f.gif
    >> .gif

2012 and it still works.

I have to contact my parents to confirm details of my creepy story. Will post when I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

posted this a year ago in after hours,only real life thing i have no explaination for at all:

"was coming home one night from a house party in Blarney my friend was driving and I was **** faced drunk in the passanger seat. We were heading back to Cork using the dual carridgeway that comes up past the Commons hotel and restaurant.

It was about 3 in the morning and we were in an area of the dual carridge way where there were no light or cars or anything around us. Two of us were silent and next think a soccer ball hit the windscreen really hard and dead on coming from the direction of the centre of the road. Two of us got the fright of our lives and the friend nearly crashed the car, duno how it happened til this day!"

-Still feel weird thinking about it,the ball hit the windscreen so hard it was riduculous and it came from the direct centre of the road in front of us,if someone had kicked it we would have ploughed them down. Couldn't have been another car either cause there was none visible,not even brake lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

smurgen wrote: »
    posted this a year ago in after hours,only real life thing i have no explaination for at all:

"was coming home one night from a house party in Blarney my friend was driving and I was **** faced drunk in the passanger seat. We were heading back to Cork using the dual carridgeway that comes up past the Commons hotel and restaurant.

It was about 3 in the morning and we were in an area of the dual carridge way where there were no light or cars or anything around us. Two of us were silent and next think a soccer ball hit the windscreen really hard and dead on coming from the direction of the centre of the road. Two of us got the fright of our lives and the friend nearly crashed the car, duno how it happened til this day!"

-Still feel weird thinking about it,the ball hit the windscreen so hard it was riduculous and it came from the direct centre of the road in front of us,if someone had kicked it we would have ploughed them down. Couldn't have been another car either cause there was none visible,not even brake lights.

Any chance it was dropped from a foot bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any chance it was dropped from a foot bridge?

no,there isn't any on that stetch,no flyovers either. Only thing I could think is if it was a car with the lights off that ran over it but I really think we could have still seen that car.My friend brought it up a few weeks ago in the pub actually again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Was it definitely a football? Could it have been a large bird? Seagull?

Advertisement