Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Actually, I said in my original story that I '90% was sure I never heard the crutches again'. The reason I say this is because I may have heard them again, I'm just not as certain as I was the first time.

The reason I said 90% was a couple of years ago, when I was 16/17, my bedroom was now the room across the landing/hallway from the room I had been in. I was awake around 2am by myself as I usually was (and still am, I'm a complete nightowl).

House was completely silent, when suddenly I heard crutches quietly padding around from downstairs, coming from the same room as I had originally heard it. My mind immediately sprang back to my previous experience, and I sat there (I was reading in bed) in complete silence listening.

I was scared but not terrified the way I was the previous time. I could hear it quietly clicking around the room, but never came any nearer, it seemed to disappear down into the newer part of the house, which has tiled floors. I stayed up for a while, but didn't hear it since. I have moved out a few years now, and one of my sisters now has the bedroom that I was in the first time.

I may ask her if she's ever heard anything, as she's a night person as well.

I have a few stories that happened in the exact room that the crutches seem to originate in, nothing particularly scary, just a bit unusual. I'll type them out next time I'm on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

ottostreet wrote: »
    Actually, I said in my original story that I '90% was sure I never heard the crutches again'.

The reason I said 90% was a couple of years ago, when I was 16/17, my bedroom was now the room across the landing/hallway from the room I had been in. I was awake around 2am by myself as I usually was (and still am, I'm a complete nightowl).

House was completely silent, when suddenly I heard crutches quietly padding around from downstairs, coming from the same room as I had originally heard it. My mind immediately sprang back to my previous experience, and I sat there (I was reading in bed) in complete silence listening.

I was scared but not terrified the way I was the previous time. I could hear it quietly clicking around the room, but never came any nearer, it seemed to disappear down into the newer part of the house, which has tiled floors. I stayed up for a while, but didn't hear it since. I have moved out a few years now, and one of my sisters now has the bedroom that I was in the first time.

I may ask her if she's ever heard anything, as she's a night person as well.

I have a few stories that happened in the exact room that the crutches seem to originate in, nothing particularly scary, just a bit unusual. I'll type them out next time I'm on here.

would ya go away with your crutches craic!! :rolleyes: il be up all night again thinking bout them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Quazzie wrote: »
    See its hard to believe a word you say when you start off by saying "a warm day in July":pac:

I know, that was the creepy part. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

When my uncle passed away last year it just so happened to rain. Real downpour. Only lasted 7-10 minutes, but did not rain for few days before and again about week after.

Maybe its just pure coincidence.

Or maybe it was the weather?

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I was the exact same! Had to turn off the Broadband downstairs too and it felt like a big ordeal going down into the dark hallway. Woke up again about four am and could not stop imagining crutches coming to get me and had to switch on the light in order to get back to sleep.

haha l was gonna leave the light on too but l said ld leave the radio on instead...thankfully we have carpet instead of wooded floors :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

would ya go away with your crutches craic!! :rolleyes: il be up all night again thinking bout them :o

If it helps you sleep, maybe it was not crutches after all but hooves. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

haha l was gonna leave the light on too but l said ld leave the radio on instead...thankfully we have carpet instead of wooded floors :D
    Good thinking. Crutches don't make as much noise on carpet. ;)

One of my earliest memories (maybe I was three or four) is when I was with my parents shopping, I got separated from them. I remember being in the clothes section and hiding from my mom under all the clothes hanging from the racks.. Next thing I know they are gone. My little self wandered up to the checkout, crying, telling the lady at the cashier that I was lost. The man standing there checking out said he was a truck driver and would take me to the police station where my parents could get me... Then I could see my dad running towards me and grabbing me, my mom was upset and I was just so happy to be with them again. I never thought much of it until a few years back when it occurred to me that whoever that guy was, was definitely not taking me to the police station.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249350/Katrice-Lee-Sick-internet-troll-torments-family-girl-went-missing-30-years-ago.html just came across this story after reading yours....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

The other stories have no crutches, I assure you! It's all the same area of the house. I'm certain it's not malevolent, based on most of the odd little things and sightings in the house, but the crutches felt intimidating. Only thing I have found intimidating about my family home really.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Good thinking. Crutches don't make as much noise on carpet. ;)

it reassured me a little bit last night :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Ah that's horrible! I'm grateful my parents came right then and there, who knows what would have happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

A freind of mine was off work sick and was home alone. She spent the entire morning in bed sleeping and there was nothing to eat in the house so despite being sick she had to go to the shop which was about a 15 minute round trip walk from the house.

When she got back to the house she saw something flash across the top of the stairs which made her feel particularly uneasy.

She didn't know what she had seen but decided that the best thing for her to do was to leave the house immedaitely.

When she got to the gate she turned towards her bedroom window which was at the front of the house and saw two men standing in the window looking directly at her.

She ran to a neighbours house and when the alarm was raised nobody was found in the house but there were some items stolen.

While they were likely watching the house and thought she was gone further god knows what had happened if she had gone upstairs to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

This story is more nice than creepy. When my grandmother died, I never cried at the funeral (I wasn't one for crying in public). I remember I used to cry almost every night after, almost because I hadn't cried at the funeral I found it harder to deal with it. For this length of time when I used to be crying at night she would appear in my dreams. She wouldn't say anything she'd just be there. Eventually I stopped getting upset most nights and she disappeared from my dreams. But I remember the last dream I had of her I had said goodbye. It's interesting though, when my old babysitter died I cried at her funeral and I felt so much more relieved when I had done that. One thing my aunt got me to do at the house was to gently touch her hands when she was laid out (something I couldn't bring myself to do at my grandmother's) because my aunt said it's easier to come to terms with a death that way. I don't know it could have just hit me harder because it was my grandmother but I firmly believe that crying at a funeral is a good release and a good way to deal with a death.
    As well I remember before my grandmother passed we went to see her in the hospital. She was quite disorientated (she was quite sick with pneumonia) and I was quite upset however, a few days later we came to visit her and she looked back to her normal self. She died the next day. However, I thought it was nice that the last time we saw her she was aware of her surroundings and chatting away to us. I think it would have been so much harder had she been still quite confused and unable to talk with us. Funnily enough I suppose I wasn't really aware on that last day we saw her that although she seemed fine she wasn't going to recover. I remember even going outside the hospital with my brother to look at some kittens. It took me ages to forgive myself for not spending every last second with her that day.
    Also my aunt once had a dream about her mother shortly after her mother died. She asked my grandmother something like 'Are you happy (in heaven)?' and my grandmother happily replied 'Yes I am, I've to go now' and it's something that has always stuck with my aunt.
    I think there are some things that just can't be explained, as much as I'd be the first person to think of a rational explanation. /sorry it's so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Tisserand wrote: »

I get sleep paralysis several times, but sometimes it is accompanied by loud buzzing in my ears and the feeling of being lifted off the bed and up towards the ceiling.

The last time it happened was when I was visiting my sister and was sleeping in her spare room. I had only just gone to sleep when I felt myself being lifted towards the ceiling and I swear I remember feeling the ceiling very close to my face and being able to touch it. I was calling out my sister's name and her husband heard me and sent her in to me. She woke me up but I was absolutely terrified. Anybody else who gets sleep paralysis ever experience this?

Yeah that happened me before.. used to experience it pretty regularly a few yrs ago.. got used to it, I mainly experienced the loud ringing/screaming, sometimes the sound if a drill for some reason, as well as feeling paralysed and the teeth shattering! The worst experience of sleep paralysis was about the 3rd time it happened me (plus it was the night after a heavy session) I had the usual loud ringing and I thought I had wokin out if it when a dark shadow flew down from the top corner of my room and and into the bed beside me and I felt a cool breeze.. then I suddenly I woke up for real and jumped outa bed and turned on the light for an hr, freaked me out because my granny had lived with us for the last 6 months of her life and died in the same.room.. but thinking logically I put it down to sleep paralysis... It was like i was having dreams inside of dreams and woke up in stages. The other thing I noticed with it is that it only happens atvthe start of a sleep, ie I could go to.bed at midnight, wake up with this thinkin I was sleep for hrs and its only ten past.. hasn't happened me In ages tho. Kinda miss it :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I was in Edinburgh last year and we went on the South Bridge vaults ghost tour. Been to Edinburgh several times and I had done all of them except this one. Anyway, they emphasise on all of them that if you suddenly feel sick or whatever, tell them straight away.

So, this one started on the street and we entered the vaults and went into a room with a collection of torture instruments. About 20 people in the group, everyone grand. Suddenly, I felt really faint, couldn't hear anything except a buzzing in my ears and my eyes wouldn't focus. I am a reasonably logical person and that place stank, so I figured that the air quality was really awful, and knowing that I had just paid for the tour, no way was I leaving or speaking up. :rolleyes: So, leaned against a cabinet for a while, felt a little better and we carried on.

Now, it took about an hour and I felt really light headed and stuff throughout. The place is really nasty, vaults, dark, slippery, smelly, dripping water and freezing. I was alternatively going hot and cold, was unsteady on my feet and my eyes wouldn't focus. I was seriously freaked out and couldn't wait for the bloody thing to end, listening to horror stories in the dark. Anyway, got up into the pub and we were given whiskey and shortbread but I needed to get fresh air pretty quickly so I was headed for the door. The look on the guides face when he saw me was funny though. I must have been pretty green at that stage but fresh air cured me and I swear that I am never going anywhere that dank again. I can't even remember most of it, just the fear of fainting down there. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

was in thailand in a quite remote part of phuket. had to stay in a run-down apartment type set-up for the night as the flight back to bangkok wasnt until the next morning. there was two entrances to the apartment, it was on the ground floor, and one of the doors (at the back of the apartment which faced onto what i can only describe as hovels) didnt lock properly, so it was a little bit concerning. me and my mate shared a room which was just off the main corridor of the apartment which ran from the front door to the back. we left the door ajar as we slept as there was no window in the bedroom.

Both of us were already a bit freaked out by the surrounding area and the general atmosphere of the place, or lack of. anyway, i couldnt sleep at all, but i thought my mate was soundly sleeping in the other bed. next thing, i noticed that there was a shadow of a person in the frame of the door, looking into the bedroom. i couldnt move. i knew i wasnt asleep, there was someone there, just silently standing in the dark staring into the room while we "slept".

the alarm goes off the next morning, and i just said "lets' get the fook outta here", mate agrees, and seems shaken too. turns out he hadnt been asleep, and said "did you see or hear anything weird last night" and before i could tell him what had happened, he told me he had seen the same thing - the figure of a person standing in the door, looking in at us.

needless to say, it was a pretty creepy experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

was in thailand in a quite remote part of phuket. had to stay in a run-down apartment type set-up for the night as the flight back to bangkok wasnt until the next morning. there was two entrances to the apartment, it was on the ground floor, and one of the doors (at the back of the apartment which faced onto what i can only describe as hovels) didnt lock properly, so it was a little bit concerning. me and my mate shared a room which was just off the main corridor of the apartment which ran from the front door to the back. we left the door ajar as we slept as there was no window in the bedroom.

Both of us were already a bit freaked out by the surrounding area and the general atmosphere of the place, or lack of. anyway, i couldnt sleep at all, but i thought my mate was soundly sleeping in the other bed. next thing, i noticed that there was a shadow of a person in the frame of the door, looking into the bedroom. i couldnt move. i knew i wasnt asleep, there was someone there, just silently standing in the dark staring into the room while we "slept".

the alarm goes off the next morning, and i just said "lets' get the fook outta here", mate agrees, and seems shaken too. turns out he hadnt been asleep, and said "did you see or hear anything weird last night" and before i could tell him what had happened, he told me he had seen the same thing - the figure of a person standing in the door, looking in at us.

needless to say, it was a pretty creepy experience!

2 of yee were awake and saw someone standing outside your door and yee just went back asleep? I would aye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Not really in line with the OP, but from the other persons perspective it may have been! :pac:

I remember one night after been out in the cinema, myself and two mates had arranged to be picked up afterwards by a friend as we were going to go for a drink after.
    They drove a particularly nice and expensive car that was relatively uncommon at the time, it was a really really nice merc.

Anyways, when we were waiting to be picked up we saw the car pull into the car park, our friend had to drive around a one way system to pick us up. The car came around or as the lads thought it did, and they quickly pulled the doors open and jumped in with one of the lads jokingly shouting 'GUNN IT!!' as they hopped in.

At which point just as I was getting in myself I saw our friend sitting in his car about four cars back, with a confused looking face and wondering who's car we were getting into!

The lads had just jumped into some old lady's car shouting an messing, the look of shock and then relief on her face when the lads finally copped what they had done and quickly jumped out was unforgettable.

I always wondered what she thought was happening for them few minutes though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Some of these stories are pretty scary. Read at your own risk!

:eek: Horror movies (even the best ones) rarely scare me.....but that freaked me out. Bravo good sir, bravo indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my wife hung mistletoe from our bedroom door over the weekend, it was well stuck and didnt fall down even when i was walking into it. we were in bed last night talking about this thread when we heard it fall and scrape off the door. the two of us nearly shat ourselves
    funny now but not at the time

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I remember I was walking home and decided to take a quick short-cut through a lane-way. There was a girl ahead walking on her own and she turned and saw me in the distance and kept walking. I looked at my phone and realized it was getting very late so I decided to pick up the pace a little. She turned around and let out a scream and started running so I started screaming and running as well.

I never actually turned around to see what was behind us. Survival instincts kicked in and I just ran as fast as I could behind this women.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Higher wrote: »
    I remember I was walking home and decided to take a quick short-cut through a lane-way. There was a girl ahead walking on her own and she turned and saw me in the distance and kept walking. I looked at my phone and realized it was getting very late so I decided to pick up the pace a little. She turned around and let out a scream and started running so I started screaming and running as well.

I never actually turned around to see what was behind us. Survival instincts kicked in and I just ran as fast as I could behind this women.
    Laughed so much at this!! :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Nothing in comparison to some of the other stories here but still pretty unnerving. Ten years ago I was living in Paris. Two of us shared a studio just off the Champs Élysées. I was walking up Rue Rivoli home from the Latin quarter , just beside the Louvre. I was fairly well on, I think I was coming from a Christmas party for the remaining ex-pats.

I was smoking a fag and this guy pulls up and asks for one? I told him it was my last one but there's a 24 hour tobacco shop up the road. He asked me if I wanted a lift there? I said grand as the tobacco shop was less than a five minute walk from home and I needed fags. We're going down a back street and I say the shop is just down that road there, pointing. He keeps on driving, I have never sobered up so quickly in my life. I didn't know what to do, I thought if I put up a fight he might do something extreme, if I tried to crash the car, I might die.

Eventually we come go into an underground car park in an apartment block, I'm totally bricking it now. We get into a lift, he presses a button for whatever floor, the moment the lift moves I hit zero, the door opens, he rubs my face and asks if I'm sure? I peg it out of the apartment block and I have no idea where in Paris I am.

I eventually found a metro station and made my way home. It was a very scary experience. I really should have gone to the cops and I still don't know why I didn't.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Apanachi wrote: »
    Woke up one night to the sound of two men having a chat in my bedroom, I nearly sh*t myself and didn't dare open my eyes or move for what seemed like ages, then I copped on that the baby monitor had picked up on a CB conversation two truckers were having

This happened to me before! Except it was an old TV that was on standby picking up a taxi radio conversation. I was studying in the living room in the house alone. Everything was very quiet and next of all I hear a man shouting someones address in the room and the taxi driver answering him. Scared the hell out of me until I realised what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Apanachi wrote: »
    Woke up one night to the sound of two men having a chat in my bedroom, I nearly sh*t myself and didn't dare open my eyes or move for what seemed like ages, then I copped on that the baby monitor had picked up on a CB conversation two truckers were having

When I was at college I had a portable CD player beside my bed, hooked up to a set of small portable speakers. The speakers were on 24/7. One night I was woken up hearing a man's voice really close to me saying "I'm just outside the door now". Screamed the place down, housemates came running, but there was no-one anywhere to be found. A few weeks later my boyfriend was staying over, and in the middle of the night a mans voice suddenly said "Picked up on the Western Road, heading to town."

The speakers were picking up bloody taxi radio signals somehow. My room was up in the attic, so we reckoned that it had to be a combination of maybe a particular cab company frequency, and a driver happening to use his radio as he passed the house, which is why I never heard it any other time. After that I made sure the speakers were off.

Higher wrote: »

had to laugh at this :L maybe she thought you were following her?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was in Edinburgh last year and we went on the South Bridge vaults ghost tour. Been to Edinburgh several times and I had done all of them except this one. Anyway, they emphasise on all of them that if you suddenly feel sick or whatever, tell them straight away.

So, this one started on the street and we entered the vaults and went into a room with a collection of torture instruments. About 20 people in the group, everyone grand. Suddenly, I felt really faint, couldn't hear anything except a buzzing in my ears and my eyes wouldn't focus. I am a reasonably logical person and that place stank, so I figured that the air quality was really awful, and knowing that I had just paid for the tour, no way was I leaving or speaking up. :rolleyes: So, leaned against a cabinet for a while, felt a little better and we carried on.

Now, it took about an hour and I felt really light headed and stuff throughout. The place is really nasty, vaults, dark, slippery, smelly, dripping water and freezing. I was alternatively going hot and cold, was unsteady on my feet and my eyes wouldn't focus. I was seriously freaked out and couldn't wait for the bloody thing to end, listening to horror stories in the dark. Anyway, got up into the pub and we were given whiskey and shortbread but I needed to get fresh air pretty quickly so I was headed for the door. The look on the guides face when he saw me was funny though. I must have been pretty green at that stage but fresh air cured me and I swear that I am never going anywhere that dank again. I can't even remember most of it, just the fear of fainting down there. :o

If I was cynical, and I am, I would say that they spike the odd person for effect. The look on the guides face might have been because he knew you were in bits but you were pretending to be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fairies you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fairies you say?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Leaving school as a kid, a man took me by the arm and tried to take me into his car. I was screaming but he kept calm and just acted like I was his recaltricant child. Another mother recognised me and came over upon which he released me and said "I thought I was meant to take him home."
    It had been a complete stranger.

One night as a teenager walking home from the city, a man pulled up asking for directions. The route he asked was not so simple so he said "Are you going that way, Sure jump in and Ill drop you off and you can show me the way." Foolishly I did.
    His demeanor changed as soon as the door was locked and he started acting weird saying that his wife would kill him if she knew he picked up a stranger. He then said he was not gay and asked did I have anything against the gay scene. He asked me had I much to drink. Alarm bells were ringing in my head at this stage and I glanced behind me to ensure there was nobody in the back seat. He then said would I like to join him at a party with some fellows. He again said his wife would kill him if she found out. For a moment I thought he would not stop. I insisted that he stop but he just repeated that he would drop me off later. I was trembling with adrenaline at this stage and was considering grabbing the wheel and crashing the car as he was really acting weird. I shouted "STOP THE CAR" and thankfully he pulled over. I ran the rest of the way home, taking routes down laneways where a car could not follow while looking behind my shoulder every few seconds.

On holiday, I was called to reception one morning because the people in the neighbouring apartment woke in the night to find a stranger in their room. He asked for me by name. We never found out who he was or why he was looking for me. I did not know anybody at the resort and even so, they would never go into somebodies room in the dead of night.

Why do I always attract the weirdoes?

What if it has been the same weirdo that tried to abduct you from school following you around your whole life?

Advertisement