Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlin Isles... 12 weeks from starting to play rugby

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Seriously fast going forward and obviously extremely fit. But, at 11.5 stone and 5'8", he is far too small! I play on the wing and I'm 6' and 13 stone 7lbs, could run 100m in 12-12.5 seconds(I've never done athletics properly so I don't know how to launch or anything!) and it can be tough at J2 level! I think he'd be battered in 15s! Imagine habana against him? he's what, 14 stone or so and nearly as quick.

If he's the last man out to defend against, players would simply drop back 6/7 yards to catch him. But in any bit of space he'd score surely nearly everytime. Ridiculous athlete, but should stay in 7s

Christian Wade from London Wasps is, according to wikipedia anyway, 5'8" and 12st 11. He was mentioned as a possible for the current England squad. He is heavier but I'd imagine if Isles was brought into a professional rugby environment he would get heavier too. I know Matt Williams is always saying that any new/young player takes a year or two to fully physically develop into a rugby player.
    Tox56 wrote: »
    I think we have a better version of Isles in Conway. He's 21, has been playing rugby all his life and is obviously very fast. I wonder how his 100M time would compare to Isles, he must be one of the fastest players in the country.

McFadden is pretty quick too, although Isa might be slowing down.

I don't think Conway is as fast as Isles. Even in the clips you linked he isn't burning anyone, of course they are just youtube clips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't think Conway is as fast as Isles. Even in the clips you linked he isn't burning anyone.

Not a chance, but he's very fast in his own right, and is a more natural rugby player.

I agree there is no harm in having a look at him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

At the very best, Isles could be a less polished version of Fionn Carr!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    So he's a lineout option too. Leinster would be mad not to sign him

He could jump onto Devon Toner's shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I think the thing is to picture him two years from now.
    - Tackling. 2 years you can get to a reasonable level
    - appreciation of position. Training games/video analysis/coaching from defensive coaches
    - Size he only needs a few more kilos. Guy like him would have ridiculous leg drive and explosiveness. He'd easliy brush aside one on ones with bigger tacklers. (In fact doesn't he brush off someone in the video with quick hand off?)
    - Attacking skills. Pace is everything and his sevens running lines were decent.
    He can make it and I think a pro coach somewhere in Europe will see him as being worth the risk.
    2 years down the line you have the fastest back in rugby but will probably never make a great kicker. Worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

2 years down the line you have the fastest back in rugby but will probably never make a great kicker. Worth the risk.

In 2 years time he will be out of contract and will have to go elsewhere.

Waste of money, let a French team throw money on him and take another look at him in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It was a highlights package but he looked pretty comfortable receiving and with ball in hand in video. Then combine that with his pace.
    If the last big obstacle is tackling and positioning you can do alot on that in 2 years.
    Jason Robinson was a pretty poor kicker of the ball, who cared?
    Playing decent international sevens after just a few weeks practice is being underated here I feel. I'm talking about that same player after 2 years maybe 5/6 skill sesssions a week (that's pro level) year round.
    A sensible club would recognise that it's extra skill/tactical sessions he would need not hitting the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thing is you can't knock him till you've seen him play up close. He could be an absolute natural. Who knows. No harm in having a look at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also I'm not sold that the NIQ rules will be imposed under their current structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

.ak wrote: »
    Also I'm not sold that the NIQ rules will be imposed under their current structure.

That's true. The big test of this will be the prop situation in Munster. If they are allowed resign either of their niq props then the rule is effectively out the Window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

The insider on LF
    http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22007&start=520

Re: Rumour Mill

icon_post_target.gifby ror » January 10th, 2013, 2:48 pm
    Just if anyone is Interested in my info on Isles... I think I may have been one of the first to post the now infamous link on our site, so I sprung into gear when this report surfaced. I spoke to one of my best sources whom has provided me with great scoops which I have shared. Most recently he gave me the Mccarthy signing which send the form into overdrive.
    In fact I did send him the Carlin Link to look at originally. Anyway at this point 1pm today he did not know any thing about a Isles Leinster trial/Link. Now that said when i spoke to him 10 mins ago he was unaware of the story so he will now go off a try and substantiate it... So we will have to sit tight for a bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

ror is usually very reliable on these matters. Will be interesting to hear what he comes back with.

Regarding the trial, it wouldn't shock me if Leinster were interested, seeing as it's only a trial, and we've been looking for that pacey winger for some time now, and gave a trial to Nagwini too, which didn't work out.

Remember Ngwenya of Biarritz has a very similar backround, USA sprinter, brought in for his speed, and in open space burned Habanna and they snapped him up and did the rest. He was clocked at 100 metres in 10.5 seconds, Isles can do it in 10.24 - quick enough for the 100 metre semi finals at the London Olympics ;) It's worth a punt imo. The key to this guy is that if he gets the ball 10 yards infield, then the defender has little or no chance, as he runs sideways, then straight. Would make marking him a nightmare, and his acceleration would make him quicker than any rugby player I've ever seen.

Wales had a sprinter on the wing years and years ago, a black fella who may or may not have been on team GB sprinting. I'm talking mid 90's here, not sure if anyone can remember?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

[Jackass] wrote: »

Wales had a sprinter on the wing years and years ago, a black fella who may or may not have been on team GB sprinting. I'm talking mid 90's here, not sure if anyone can remember?

It was Nigel Walker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That's the exact man and exact try I was thinking about when I was typing that! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I know a few lads on the team and was speaking to one of them yesterday. Asked about Isles and he said he hadn't seen him at all (hes supposed to be doing trials with Leinster as we speak) and hadn't heard anything. So unlikely to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

There's nothing on his twitter to suggest it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It was reported untrue in some american rugby website. Don't have the time to find it right now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

According to Rugby Transferts, Isles has signed for Toulon but will be loaned to Dax (ProD2) for a season in order to learn the 15 man game.

http://www.rugby-transferts.com/top-14/toulon/0020657-toulon-isle-finalement-prete-dax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Meh waste of time for him if he does. Still hasn't got a clue what's going on, can't kick, can't attack and can't pass. He is over rated which is fine far too much is expected of him just based on his speed. Personally id rather him stick with 7's cause he hasn't got a hope in hell at 15's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Stev_o wrote: »
    Meh waste of time for him if he does. Still hasn't got a clue what's going on, can't kick, can't attack and can't pass. He is over rated which is fine far too much is expected of him just based on his speed. Personally id rather him stick with 7's cause he hasn't got a hope in hell at 15's.

Bit of a knee jerk reaction there, Stev. Plenty of established players joined the game late. There's no reason to believe he cant pick up the basics - Toulon and Dax seem to think so too. There is nothing about him which is overrated, unless you're talking about his speed, in which case you'd be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hardly, he'll be living in France, learning a new game and earning good money. He's still only 23 as well so let's not write him off just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

And it won't affect his Olympic dream, if anything it will improve his 7s game. I don't see why he shouldn't go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

2 words Stev_o. Frank Halai. Sevens star, now taking the 15-man game seriously. Going OK for the Blues. Of course, he needs time, but I wouldn't just write Isles off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Will someone make a youtube video of me beating loads of players, I want to sign for Toulon too :(

Swiwi wrote: »
    2 words Stev_o. Frank Halai. Sevens star, now taking the 15-man game seriously. Going OK for the Blues. Of course, he needs time, but I wouldn't just write Isles off like that.

Isles is and never was a 7's star, he doesn't even start for the USA team he comes on during garbage time when the game is already over. Honestly a lot of being made of him when he is still incredibly raw. Throwing him straight into French rugby is a waste of time and will do him no favours. He needs to remain on that 7's circuit.

19543261 wrote: »
    Bit of a knee jerk reaction there, Stev. Plenty of established players joined the game late. There's no reason to believe he cant pick up the basics - Toulon and Dax seem to think so too. There is nothing about him which is overrated, unless you're talking about his speed, in which case you'd be wrong.

Have you watched him play on the circuit this year or are you going by his famous video? If you'd watch the circuit you'd see that he is incredibly raw and isn't terribly great and most importantly you'd notice he doesn't even start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Agree with Steve O here, worth a punt but he's light years away from being a proper 15s winger.

Ridiculous amount of hype based on one video.

For those saying that many 7s stars have made it in the 15s game, there are also hundreds who try and fail, and Isles is behind the 8 ball because he has never even played 15s before, never mind knowing the ins and outs of rules, positioning, defense etc.

I'll be hugely surprised if we see him ever play for Toulon.

Advertisement