Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlin Isles... 12 weeks from starting to play rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully if he has played a large amount of american football I wouldn't see it as a major switch.

There would be enough similarities between the 2 sports that would make a switch to 7s easy enough given the space the players have to work with.

Would he be able to switch to 15's god only knows. With less space and a lack of knowledge I would say he would find it hard especially given his age. Also there was very limited video of how good he is defensively so that could be an issue.

That all said he has bags of talent but if that is transferable outside of 7's who knows

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its admittedly difficult to judge based on a highlights reel, but he looks better and more accustomed to rugby in that video then Ngwenya was the first time I saw him (in a pre-season friendly between Munster and USA).

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Im pretty sure he wants to make the Olympics taken from the blurb below the youtube video.
    Enamored by the Olympic rings, Carlin looked for alternative pathways into a Team USA jersey. Isles had seen rugby on TV before and, through track, knew there was a team training in at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif. He turned to the internet for more information and found the story of another rugby crossover.

"I was watching Youtube videos, and I saw Miles Craigwell, and then I emailed Miles and I asked him about rugby and he told me it's a great sport," Isles told RUGBYMag.

"So that got me motivated to play it. The only thing I knew of was 15s, and then I saw 7s, and I was like I'd be in heaven in this sport."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

most skilled athletes can switch sports pretty easily and still excell - for example not sure if BOD ever played soccer, but I'd be pretty sure he would be damn handy with a round ball - similarily powerfull ex American footballers should be good at rugby - I found them probably tougher and fitter than Irish club players, but yeah not as schooled in the fundamentals of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

thebaz wrote: »
    most skilled athletes can switch sports pretty easily and still excell - for example not sure if BOD ever played soccer, but I'd be pretty sure he would be damn handy with a round ball - similarily powerfull ex American footballers should be good at rugby - I found them probably tougher and fitter than Irish club players, but yeah not as schooled in the fundamentals of the game

This.

I went to a rugby school and we had lads that played top division soccer or GAA, that resisted playing rugby for years, then made 1st 15s within a month of starting to play. A lad in my class was talked into playing over the summer going into 3rd year and had a Junior Cup medal by the end of it.

That said, there was a lot of experience around him. When I learned to play at 12-13 years old, I had a lot of orders barked at me by lads around me who had better rugby brains and had played since U8s, along with good coaching.

How well Isles takes to rugby will depend on the experience and skill that's around him, as much as any natural ability.

FWIW, I think he looks good, not just because of how he rounds players, but because of how he breaks the tackle like a running back, slowing into traffic and then using his acceleration.

If we was to develop into a 15s player, however, I think he'd need to be developed at decent club in a top8 nation. You need experience around you if you're to develop late. All the coaching in the world won't help if no-one around you on the actual pitch has the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Speed like that cant be coached the other skills can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I have been informed that Carline Isles has arrived in Dublin and is commencing a 1 month trial with Leinster - as bullsh*t as that sounds, supposedly it is the case.

I can't find any information online about this or on either Leinsterfans or this site, so I call this as my breaking news exclusive. ;)

Leinster will be making an announcement on contracts in the coming weeks, including the resigning of Cronin and possibly Fitz extension, presumably if Isles's trial goes well, his signing may be confirmed also. Not sure if it will be mentioned before that or if at all if we aren't interested after a 1 month trial.

Fingers crossed it goes well - what we could do with that speed on the end of Leinster back play.... :eek: Not since the days of Denis Hickie have we been consistently scoring tries from 50, 60, 70+ yards out...

He's only 23 also. Since he's capped at 7's level, presumably he couldn't be signed as a project player and would take a NIQ spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just another Ngwini probably, if its true. Ngwini was impossible to tackle (trust me!) but ultimately he was just no pro union player. Isles would be even worse id guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'm going to call BS on this for the sheer fact that it makes no sense with the new NIQ rules coming in.

Given that we wouldn't be able to resign him after 2 years means we would basically only be getting him up to speed before he would have to move on.

Also wouldn't want him taking up the project place as that would be better used for someone else (roux hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I'll believe it when I see it. Not sure how easily he would fit into a top clubs defensive structure which requires a lot of instinct and rugby brain as well as training.

Did someone mention that he played American football, was he in the kind of position that he would have to tackle?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'll believe it when I see it. Not sure how easily he would fit into a top clubs defensive structure which requires a lot of instinct and rugby brain as well as training.

Did someone mention that he played American football, was he in the kind of position that he would have to tackle?

He played cornerback, so he was a defensive player. The technique is completely different though in almost every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I cannot communicate effectively enough how much I feel we should, under absolutely no circumstances, sign him to fit a NIQ spot.

If this is true, of course :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If there is one thing Leinster need it's a pacy outside back.

We have average to slightly above average pace out there but could do with someone with what Isles could possibly offer.

If it is just a trial so be it but there is alot of potential here for both the player and the club.

Of course then there is the NIQ thing as well as Nacewa, Howlett, and Payne (??) are there in Irish teams. If this is ok with the overall IRFU strategy I'd have no problem with a Leinster NIQ spot going to him if the club think he could make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Seriously fast going forward and obviously extremely fit. But, at 11.5 stone and 5'8", he is far too small! I play on the wing and I'm 6' and 13 stone 7lbs, could run 100m in 12-12.5 seconds(I've never done athletics properly so I don't know how to launch or anything!) and it can be tough at J2 level! I think he'd be battered in 15s! Imagine habana against him? he's what, 14 stone or so and nearly as quick.

If he's the last man out to defend against, players would simply drop back 6/7 yards to catch him. But in any bit of space he'd score surely nearly everytime. Ridiculous athlete, but should stay in 7s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I call BS on this! Think someone might be having you on Jackass!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If there is one thing Leinster need it's a pacy outside back.

We have average to slightly above average pace out there but could do with someone with what Isles could possibly offer.

If it is just a trial so be it but there is alot of potential here for both the player and the club.

Of course then there is the NIQ thing as well as Nacewa, Howlett, and Payne (??) are there in Irish teams. If this is ok with the overall IRFU strategy I'd have no problem with a Leinster NIQ spot going to him if the club think he could make it.

I think we have a better version of Isles in Conway. He's 21, has been playing rugby all his life and is obviously very fast. I wonder how his 100M time would compare to Isles, he must be one of the fastest players in the country.

McFadden is pretty quick too, although Isa might be slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Seriously fast going forward and obviously extremely fit. But, at 11.5 stone and 5'8", he is far too small! I play on the wing and I'm 6' and 13 stone 7lbs, could run 100m in 12-12.5 seconds(I've never done athletics properly so I don't know how to launch or anything!) and that's at J2 level! I think he'd be battered in 15s! Imagine habana against him? he's what, 14 stone or so and nearly as quick.

If he's the last man out to defend against, players would simply drop back 6/7 yards to catch him. But in any bit of space he'd score surely nearly everytime. Ridiculous athlete, but should stay in 7s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Williams
    5'7" one of the best wingers in the last decade probably

I dont think its his size or pace that will be a main problem, it will be a rugby brain and skillset professionals master over a decade he is missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

ssaye wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Williams
    5'7" one of the best wingers in the last decade probably

I dont think its his size or pace that will be a main problem, it will be a rugby brain and skillset professionals master over a decade he is missing.

Oh ya of course I agree with you there that Williams was(is) exceptional, but Isles is over a stone lighter than him (He wouldnt be running 10.13s 100m sprints if he got that much heavier!) and plus, professional rugby seems to be moving towards larger wingers these days.

Smaller players with pace would require better players around them to put them in space. I cant imagine someone that small making line breaks too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Tox56 wrote: »
    I think we have a better version of Isles in Conway. He's 21, has been playing rugby all his life and is obviously very fast. I wonder how his 100M time would compare to Isles, he must be one of the fastest players in the country.

McFadden is pretty quick too, although Isa might be slowing down.

Playing Devils advocate here, but have we seen any of Conways pace since he stepped up to senior level?

• Advertisement

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Oh ya of course I agree with you there that Williams was(is) exceptional, but Isles is over a stone lighter than him (He wouldnt be running 10.13s 100m sprints if he got that much heavier!) and plus, professional rugby seems to be moving towards larger wingers these days.

Agree, some monsters out there. e.g. George North 20 6'4 17.2 stone Savea for the all blacks. Its getting back to nearly Lomu territory

This fecker is a #8 but still
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Maka

Ridiculous stats

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Playing Devils advocate here, but have we seen any of Conways pace since he stepped up to senior level?

His very first Leinster game:

He might have lost some of his pace though because he has added some bulk since then, it's hard to tell.

His very first Leinster game:

He might have lost some of his pace though because he has added some bulk since then, it's hard to tell.

Ah I know he's fast Tox! Would just like to see a bit more of him with ball in hand

OT sorry, On Conway Still 21. Im am hoping he bulks up like Zebo and still keeps the pace and develops fully and has a stormer next season. I am quietly confident.

Ah I know he's fast Tox! Would just like to see a bit more of him with ball in hand

Yea I get what you're saying, but he has bulked up a lot since he first came on the scene, and there is a chance that has affected his pace. He was very slight back then.

Yea I get what you're saying, but he has bulked up a lot since he first came on the scene, and there is a chance that has affected his pace. He was very slight back then.

I still think he's probably as fast. Just think some of the lines he's running are a bit too predictable.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I still think he's probably as fast. Just think some of the lines he's running are a bit too predictable.

I think the problem is hes not looking to take players on the outside anymore. Always looking for contact and hard yards instead these days. Probably a loss of confidence from being injured so much but if he hits a bit of form and stays injury-free he could easily become the player he has the potential to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm going to call BS on this for the sheer fact that it makes no sense with the new NIQ rules coming in.

Given that we wouldn't be able to resign him after 2 years means we would basically only be getting him up to speed before he would have to move on.

Also wouldn't want him taking up the project place as that would be better used for someone else (roux hopefully)

Nah, it must be true, it's even on his wikipedia page. That's always correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlin_Isles
    Isles has been linked with a number of European professional rugby teams. He has been invited to attend trials in January 2013 with two-time defending Heineken Cup champions Leinster, and has also been approached by French side Perpignan.

No harm in having a look at him. From the video he certainly showed one good tackle and a decent fend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No mention of Dublin on his twitter page: https://twitter.com/Carlin_Isles

Advertisement