Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlin Isles... 12 weeks from starting to play rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yeah, saw this a few months ago on a US rugby forum I am on.

It's very easy to look good if you have his speed going forward. The rest of his game is lacking according to a few people from the aforementioned forum. Unsurprising really.

He'd have a hard time of it being thrown into the deep end if he was playing 15's. Sevens will obviously suit someone like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You can always learn. I wouldn't say Ngwenya is the best winger in the world, but he's exciting because of his speed and step.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

.ak wrote: »
    You can always learn.

Absolutely. Sure it will be good for the game in the US with Sevens in the Olympics and him scoring rakes of tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

One of the advantages that Americans have over novice players from other countries is that they're more likely to be fine with contact courtesy of their version of football. They obviously lack the specific skills of rucking/mauling/body position etc. but I've always thought that the familiarity with contact gives them a good point to start from.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teferi wrote: »
    He'd have a hard time of it being thrown into the deep end if he was playing 15's. Sevens will obviously suit someone like him.

His goal is to compete at the Olympics so I doubt he'd have any interest in the full game. He might rock up in the bobsled in Sochi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When I first saw the clip I though Carlin Isles was a new country competing in Sevens :o

He looks a great Sevens player but may struggle in 15's. He looks a bit smaller, could be wrong on this, then Ngwenya so in the tight may struggle.

He looks exciting all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

i am sure the black 7s will find a way to counteract his speed ..there are thousands of guys with 10.2 speed in the states..all the big rugby nations are taking the 7s serious all of a sudden excluding ourselves...NZ/FRANCE in the irb final in s/africa...south africa are contracting their 7s players...all building up to rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

CatFromHue wrote: »
    When I first saw the clip I though Carlin Isles was a new country competing in Sevens :o

Same here! I thought it was some Caribbean Island!!

Bit of a strange one because he doesn't seem like an exceptional athlete. Reading from his Rivals College Football recruitment page, he had little or no interest from Colleges in being recruited to play football.

There would be dozens of College Football players bigger and faster than him and 100's (if not 1000's) that would be better athletes for contact sport. I think USA rugby would be worthwhile trying to recruit a few CFB players who don't stand a chance of making the NFL although the only issue with that is that they are already 21/22/23 yrs old at this stage and it will take years for them to gain the experience (although Isles is 23 now).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think that's one of the reasons why Sevens was/is expected to do very well in the US as it's easier to pick up than 15's and they've large potential pool of players with AFL backgrounds who could do excellently at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wow - having played a little in US, am amazed they are not a serious force in rugby - so hard to defend against such pace

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    wow - having played a little in US, am amazed they are not a serious force in rugby - so hard to defend against such pace

Rugby is the 2nd fastest growing sport in the US (after Lacrosse), something like 2 million Americans play.

But the problem is few play at a young age. Most either take it up during or after college so its too late for them to actually develop into world class players.

The problem at youth level is any gifted athlete probably plays football also (or some other sport that has college scholarships) and they give up the rugby for a football college scholarship.

Saying that, there are now more rugby scholarships because of its Olympic status and increase in popularity...so its slowly improving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Hazys wrote: »

Same here! I thought it was some Caribbean Island!!

Bit of a strange one because he doesn't seem like an exceptional athlete. Reading from his Rivals College Football recruitment page, he had little or no interest from Colleges in being recruited to play football.

There would be dozens of College Football players bigger and faster than him and 100's (if not 1000's) that would be better athletes for contact sport. I think USA rugby would be worthwhile trying to recruit a few CFB players who don't stand a chance of making the NFL although the only issue with that is that they are already 21/22/23 yrs old at this stage and it will take years for them to gain the experience (although Isles is 23 now).
    He would have qualified for the 100metre Olympic semi final and he doesn't seem like an exceptional athlete?!? High standards....

He would have qualified for the 100metre Olympic semi final and he doesn't seem like an exceptional athlete?!? High standards....

I'm just going by US College Football standards.

The US can only send 3 sprinters to the Olympics, they would have dozens who could have qualified for the Semi Final on their best times.

He is exceptionally fast but even with that speed and playing High School football he possibly only got offered one Division 1 Football scholarship (his rivals page only said Akron we're interested), so obviously as an athlete he is lacking.

For an example of the standard, Jeff Demps played 4 years college football with Florida (one of the best college football team), it was said that before he made the decision to go to the Olympics, he probably wouldn't get drafted into the NFL. In London, he won a silver as part of the US 4x100m relay team. He got picked up by the New England Patriots, were basically he wasn't good enough to make the team this season so they have put him on the shelf for the year. Demps will probably be a decent NFL player in the future, but there would be dozens as fast as him in the NFL and 100's of better athletes in the NFL.

Compare Demps to Isles. Demps is faster than Isles. Demps is obviously a better athlete as he got a scholarship to one of the best Div1 football schools while Isles maybe got an offer from Akron, one of the worst Div1 football schools.

Now consider how many college football players there are between Demps' standard and Isles' standard...Their would be dozens of college football players with Isles' speed, would be bigger and 100's more that would be better athletes for contact sport.

I'm just going by US College Football standards.

The US can only send 3 sprinters to the Olympics, they would have dozens who could have qualified for the Semi Final on their best times.

He is exceptionally fast but even with that speed and playing High School football he possibly only got offered one Division 1 Football scholarship (his rivals page only said Akron we're interested), so obviously as an athlete he is lacking.

For an example of the standard, Jeff Demps played 4 years college football with Florida (one of the best college football team), it was said that before he made the decision to go to the Olympics, he probably wouldn't get drafted into the NFL. In London, he won a silver as part of the US 4x100m relay team. He got picked up by the New England Patriots, were basically he wasn't good enough to make the team this season so they have put him on the shelf for the year. Demps will probably be a decent NFL player in the future, but there would be dozens as fast as him in the NFL and 100's of better athletes in the NFL.

Compare Demps to Isles. Demps is faster than Isles. Demps is obviously a better athlete as he got a scholarship to one of the best Div1 football schools while Isles maybe got an offer from Akron, one of the worst Div1 football schools.

Now consider how many college football players there are between Demps' standard and Isles' standard...Their would be dozens of college football players with Isles' speed, would be bigger and 100's more that would be better athletes for contact sport.
    There are only 39 people faster than him in the entire US! He's definitely exceptional

There are only 39 people faster than him in the entire US! He's definitely exceptional

Like i said dozens of american's would have qualified for that Olympic semi final. Not to mention the amount of NFL and College football players if they we're training for track and not training for football would be faster too.

I'm talking about how many college players are in the same realm of speed but are bigger and more talented all round sports people, there would be more than a lot.

Anyway, the lads a better athlete lad than i'll ever be, i wish him the best. It'd be great to see the US do well in Rugby, they have the potential to be a very good rugby nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clearlier wrote: »
    One of the advantages that Americans have over novice players from other countries is that they're more likely to be fine with contact courtesy of their version of football. They obviously lack the specific skills of rucking/mauling/body position etc. but I've always thought that the familiarity with contact gives them a good point to start from.
    In some ways yes. In other ways their technique going into contact is often so appalling that they need to go completely back to basics before being able to use their bodies properly. The tackling techniques are very very different.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

At 160lbs he was always going to be a bit too small for american football. He definitely has a place in 7s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Still, one wonders how good the US would be if, as a nation, they got really into rugby. There's so much talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

In some ways yes. In other ways their technique going into contact is often so appalling that they need to go completely back to basics before being able to use their bodies properly. The tackling techniques are very very different.

Of course their body position needs to be changed but the basic skill/experience of taking a hit is there. I've seen people who simply can't take the physical contact of rugby. That's not going to be a problem if you're used to playing American football. It's a narrow point I'm making but as I said it's a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

durkadurka wrote: »
    Still, one wonders how good the US would be if, as a nation, they got really into rugby. There's so much talent there.

A country that wealthy with that large and diverse a population could dominate whatever sport it wanted. If soccer was number one there, they'd win the World Cup no bother.

The thing about rugby is, it's similar enough to the NFL that it would attract the same type of fan. There is potentially a market there for a pro-league from mid-February to mid-August. It could start out like a bit of a retirement league, get some big names from times passed to head out there for a season or two, much like Japan is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

tolosenc wrote: »

The thing about rugby is, it's similar enough to the NFL that it would attract the same type of fan. There is potentially a market there for a pro-league from mid-February to mid-August. It could start out like a bit of a retirement league, get some big names from times passed to head out there for a season or two, much like Japan is now.

A Super Rugby franchise or two would suit them down to the ground. Late February to early August season, no overlap with the NFL at all. Travel time would be an issue though. Team USA for 2037 Rugby Championship entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

Like i said dozens of american's would have qualified for that Olympic semi final. Not to mention the amount of NFL and College football players if they we're training for track and not training for football would be faster too.

I think "dozens" is a wildly uneducated claim. Not even dozens of Americans would have reached the Olympic A standard of 10.18. And looking at the Olympic prelim rounds, where athletes jog across the line, is no indication of what it takes to qualify for an Olympic Semi-Final. The fact that the first and second rounds are run less than 2 hours apart adds another factor of difficulty to proceedings.

Also, the claim that College and NFL players would be Olympic track athletes, should they decide to train for it, is flawed. NFL players are typically measured by their 40m sprint time. This does not always translate to 100m well, ask Maurice Green.

Obviously there are exceptions, Demps has a PB from 2010 of 9.96, that could have qualified him for an Olympic semi (but not the final). And RG3, who could have been a world class 110m hurdler - his PB would have seen him in the top 6 in this years Olympic Final.

Dave_ wrote: »
    I think "dozens" is a wildly uneducated claim. Not even dozens of Americans would have reached the Olympic A standard of 10.18. And looking at the Olympic prelim rounds, where athletes jog across the line, is no indication of what it takes to qualify for an Olympic Semi-Final. The fact that the first and second rounds are run less than 2 hours apart adds another factor of difficulty to proceedings.

The argument (not mine by the way, see Banbridgeman2's post) said that because Isles has a PB record of 10:13 that would have made the Olympic Semis. So i countered and said basically if that's the case, then dozens of Americans would have made the semis based on their PB.

Also, the claim that College and NFL players would be Olympic track athletes, should they decide to train for it, is flawed. NFL players are typically measured by their 40m sprint time. This does not always translate to 100m well, ask Maurice Green.

Obviously there are exceptions, Demps has a PB from 2010 of 9.96, that could have qualified him for an Olympic semi (but not the final). And RG3, who could have been a world class 110m hurdler - his PB would have seen him in the top 6 in this years Olympic Final.

As for NFL players, I'm not talking about the combine. I'm talking about the amount of high school kids who have to choose whether to accept a scholarship in Football or Track in college...the vast majority pick football. If they all trained track for 4 years instead of football how many would be as fast as Isles? Isles had very little interested from CFB programs so he had no choice but to train for track.

My argument is the fact that Isles probably didn't even get offered a Div1 scholarship, there are 100's of athletes with similar speed who did, who would be better athletes for contact sport than Isles. Not making him even close to exceptional by CFB standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Exceptional speed, but this guy will never make it as a 15s player.

Could be interesting to watch in Rio though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Exceptional speed, but this guy will never make it as a 15s player.

Could be interesting to watch in Rio though.

Why not?

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Why not?

An inordinate amount of reasons.

He'd have to learn to defend, kick, tackle, pass.

He'd need to learn the copious amounts of strategies and laws involved.

Just looking at him playing, he looks like he's a Forrest Gump type, even the way he hands the ball to the ref after scoring is an American Football thing.

This video shows him using his pace, which is obviously searing.
    However, it shows him running around people in 7s, and nothing else! At 23 he'll never have the time to make up all of these deficiencies in his game to become a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

An inordinate amount of reasons.

He'd have to learn to defend, kick, tackle, pass.

He'd need to learn the copious amounts of strategies and laws involved.

Just looking at him playing, he looks like he's a Forrest Gump type, even the way he hands the ball to the ref after scoring is an American Football thing.

However, it shows him running around people in 7s, and nothing else! At 23 he'll never have the time to make up all of these deficiencies in his game to become a pro.

Agreed I would say he will be alright 7's player teams will stop showing him the outside after this.
    The best 7's players like Gollins/Amor didn't really make it at 15s.
    I have played quite a few American teams they are generally ok at set pieces but struggle with anything off the cuff. They are great tacklers either they go for big hit but don't use arms etc. Rugby is hard game to pick up very quickly as so many different skills needed, kicking, tackling, running, passing plus having a good rugby brain.

Firstly he's been playing 12 weeks! Speed or no speed the fact that he's scoring tries for fun against SA and NZ 7s teams is incredible

Firstly he's been playing 12 weeks! Speed or no speed the fact that he's scoring tries for fun against SA and NZ 7s teams is incredible

Is it?!

I certainly don't think so. Speed is speed and in 7s with space it's a fairly huge advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Agreed I would say he will be alright 7's player teams will stop showing him the outside after this.
    The best 7's players like Gollins/Amor didn't really make it at 15s.
    I have played quite a few American teams they are generally ok at set pieces but struggle with anything off the cuff. They are great tacklers either they go for big hit but don't use arms etc. Rugby is hard game to pick up very quickly as so many different skills needed, kicking, tackling, running, passing plus having a good rugby brain.
    I remember watching a Harvard team vs. DU 2nds, I think, a few years back - their set pieces were excellent alright, but the moment it got past first phase ball you could see none of them had a clue what to do.

Advertisement