Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone going to Stampa this weekend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone going to Stampa this weekend.

Will be there tomorrow afternoon, probably with DMcL. We met there before didn't we? If you remember what I look like, keep an eye out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

Usual coin dealers, noticed a new dealer from the UK selling CGS graded Irish coins.
    The €2 Flag coin was a joke, the CB will give you 5 coins in change if you buy something.
    Reasoning is that there is only a million issued... of course me being me had to ask, is there a million collectors buying coins off ye?
    How about you sell the coins to the coin collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

It was pretty quiet when I was there. I imagine that it will be quiet on Sunday too because the rugby will be on during the day.

Most of the usual dealers were there. If anyone is looking to get any of the rarer Euro collector coins, there were plenty. I saw Joyce coins, Collins doubles and a Polar Year double. There were plenty of 1986 coin sets around as well.

I completely forgot to check out the 2015 Common Commemorative. I don't quite get what you are saying Gun_Money, were the Central Bank selling the coins or only giving them out in change when you bought something else?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone used their multiple flag €2 change to pay for parking as I got two in change from q-park there.

• Advertisement

DMcL1971 wrote: »

I completely forgot to check out the 2015 Common Commemorative. I don't quite get what you are saying Gun_Money, were the Central Bank selling the coins or only giving them out in change when you bought something else?

That is correct, they were not selling them but giving them out in change when you bought something from them.

Gun_money wrote: »
    That is correct, they were not selling them but giving them out in change when you bought something from them.

You'd have to question the thought process there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

You'd have to question the thought process there :confused:
    They're so desperate to sell the heaps of coins they have in stock. They have zero imagination!

Minting 8,000 coins that costs the collector 55 euro each is a travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Does anyone know why the price of the silver commemorative jumped from €44-46 to €55? At that price I've no interest anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

I did not go to the show. Were the new 2 euro coins coming out of bags or rolls. Another question, has anyone been able to get bags of new 2 euro commemorative coins at their local bank. By the way, I collect the 2 euro commemorative coins. I usually buy them off ebay or a dealer in Germany. As there is 23 different of the 25 year 2 euro coins coming out, I bought them including a Leuchtturm box with capsules off ebay. de for 100 euro including postage.

• Advertisement

The central bank only ever supply coins in bags, they don't produce rolls. So the ones they were giving in change would have come from bags.

You won't be able to get bags of commemorative coins from your bank. The banks have no control over what coins they receive. Normally they just keep recirculating whatever coins are in circulation. Because the commemorative is new the central bank will make an effort to push them out into circulation but your local bank will have no control over what it receives. When you are in the bank you can always ask if they have any bags. You will get lucky eventually. In previous years you could buy bags of 25 commemorative coins over the counter in Dame St but they were limited to two bags per customer. I don't know if they are selling them this time, you could give the collector coin number a ring and ask them.

I also collect the commemoratives. That sounds like a great deal to me. The box and capsules would be worth 20-30 and the postage would be another 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I was thinking of going to the central bank tomorrow.

Anyone been able to get bags of the 2 euro coins there?

elmer wrote: »
    I was thinking of going to the central bank tomorrow.

Anyone been able to get bags of the 2 euro coins there?

I rang the Central Bank this morning and they said that they are not selling bags of the coins over the counter.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Got my Peace in Europe coin the post this morning, I quite like the dove design, simple and elegant - lots of mirrored finish

I agree. It is the nicest they have released in a while.

I agree. It is the nicest they have released in a while.

Maybe that explains the price hike 😜

With Rounding now in effect, can anyone advise if the CB year sets/Fair sets will contain 1 and 2 cent coins?

Gun_money wrote: »
    With Rounding now in effect, can anyone advise if the CB year sets/Fair sets will contain 1 and 2 cent coins?

Just me guessing but I'd imagine the 2016 will be the last set containing them.

I wonder will they round up or down the price of the sets. :D

Any idea of the release date for the proof €2 sets. We're quickly running out of months for this year.

I can't find the specific information on it but I believe that all countries using the Euro are required to mint every coin every year, even if it is only a small number. Every country releases annual mint sets regardless of whether they released any coins into circulation that year. Finland and The Netherlands got rid of the small coins years ago but still produce them for their annual sets. So I presume we will continue to mint around 10 or 20 thousand each year, just for the collector sets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Any idea of the release date for the proof €2 sets. We're quickly running out of months for this year.

End of the month and they'll be 80 Euro each. As there's only 1,000 units, the method of distribution hasn't quite been decided yet. You might end up having to queue up at the CB on Dame St. to get one and it will most likely be only one per person.

I can't find the specific information on it but I believe that all countries using the Euro are required to mint every coin every year, even if it is only a small number. Every country releases annual mint sets regardless of whether they released any coins into circulation that year. Finland and The Netherlands got rid of the small coins years ago but still produce them for their annual sets. So I presume we will continue to mint around 10 or 20 thousand each year, just for the collector sets.

Exactly, and it'll make their sets more sought after. Great news for us.

I'd expect to still see the 1 & 2's in the annual sets alright. And as they are still legal currency, and rounding is optional, there will still be some in general circulation

The Irish mint will only be producing 1 and 2 cent coins for collector sets from 2016 onwards. It won't be producing any for circulation to the general public. Any stock of 2015 or older coins still on their shelves will be released.

As rounding is optional and all existing 1 and 2 cent coins from Ireland and all other EMU countries are still legal tender in Ireland there will be no shortage of the coins. The plan is just to stop minting them as it is too expensive. It is also part of the overall strategy to eventually be cashless.

This 2015 Proof Coin Set will be launched on 23 November 2015. This Proof Coin Set includes the 2015 commemorative €2 coin celebrating 30 Years of The EU Flag, in addition to the standard eight circulating coins also in proof quality, all dated 2015. These nine coins are presented in an elegant presentation case and are accompanied by a numbered certificate of authenticity.

The design of the commemorative €2 coin is by a coin engraver at the Bank of Greece, George Stamatopoulos, and was chosen in an online poll by the European Commission.

This Proof Coin Set has an issue limit of 1,000 pieces. Orders are strictly limited to one per person.

Orders can be placed for this Proof Coin Set from the 23 November 2015. Orders placed before 23 November 2015 will not be accepted.

Price: €80.00 Order date: 23 November 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fantafanta

Thats a dose that central bank have put up price of the proof set by ten euro. I still havent got leaflet for this set yet. I was thinking of leaving off getting this until the new year and buy with annual mint set then. Anyone think this will sell out this year? Honestly i cant see how it will sell out so quickly.

Anyone go to the central bank today. Was there any crowds. I ordered on the phone and the guy did say they werebusy but then again they usually do say that.

Ordered over the phone, with an immediate apology for the delay in answering, as they "are very buy today" :)

It took me about a dozen tries just to get through on the phone.

• Advertisement

It took me about a dozen tries just to get through on the phone.

They must have known you were calling ;)

Advertisement