Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Dolbert wrote: »
    Maybe we could do a tally at the end of every month for fun? I'm not expecting much for March but it might help to see if we've lost something :)

I'm up for this! I track this already with my Happy Scale app, but it'd be great to post it here as a bit of "look what I achieved!" pride and maybe some motivation for other people :)
    Right now it looks like:
    • January: -8 pounds (still can't quite believe that one!)
    • February: -3 pounds
    • March so far: -3 pounds. Hoping for -4 by the end of the month.
    • Total so far: -14 pounds.
    • Left to lose: another 4 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

cactusgal wrote: »
    Dunno if it was water weight or what, but I weighed in at 151 on Saturday, was pretty good all day Sat, and then was 149 today. Yay!!! The top of my 'comfortable weight' is around 140. I don't ever want to see 150 again, unless I'm pregnant.
    Was out last night, but alternated a glass of wine, then a big bottle of sparkling water in the next round. I got back at 2.30 AM, but only had two glasses of wine all night, where my usual self would have gotten wine with every round of drinks.
    Bought a little electronic weighing scale from Argos yesterday so I can be more accurate with MFP and know exactly the calorie intake (though my BF told me he'd only seen kitchen scales used for weighing weed :D)
    I really feel in control, usually the weekends are a huge, bingey bust, but this one was good! I wanna stay on the wagon!!

Well done! I was the same this weekend, we were having a do in the house so at least I had some control over the situation. I had four gin and slimlines (~60cals each) rather than my usual bottle+ of red wine, and I had a couple of tonics on their own so I still felt like I had a drink in my hand. This was over the course of 9 hours, so roughly half a drink and hour. So unlike me, but I was well pleased with myself. The less said about the (small) Dominos order the better, but I logged it as a cheat meal and drew a line under it afterwards.

Back on the wagon since yesterday, despite having the munchies, and I started walking today. Onwards and upwards. Or, you know, downwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Dolbert wrote: »

January: -5.5lb (pretty much the weight I gained at Christmas)
    February: -1.5lb (lol - but still, movement!)

Maybe we could do a tally at the end of every month for fun? I'm not expecting much for March but it might help to see if we've lost something :)

Great idea. It's all in the right direction anyway!
    January: 2 kg
    February : 1 kg (it's the thought that counts)
    March : 1.2 kg so far! 0.7 of that was since last Friday, I'm delighted

I've finally broken into the 120s! \0/

Now, I'm 129.8, but still! It counts :) another 0.8 pounds and I'll be -15 from my starting weight :) I can't remember when I was last in the 120s. College, probably, when I could eat a chicken fillet roll for lunch and dominos for dinner and still be a size 8. Those were the days ;)

How's everyone surviving after yesterday? I avoided town completely, just stayed in and watched movies, walked the dog, had pizza and beer and chilled out :) and yes, the pizza and beer were logged in MFP!

I'm staying under 130, but not weighing myself this week because shark week is always disappointing in terms of numbers. Only 3.2 pounds away from goal, last time I checked!

We've decided not to do Easter eggs this year, and instead get each other a big bar of really good quality chocolate. We can enjoy it more over a few nights instead of feeling the need to gorge on an only-ok egg. I think it's a bit sad, purely for nostalgic reasons! But I really don't want cheap chocolate just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was just a normal day for me, no treats or drinks. I'm not working atm so it's not like the day was anything special to me, and the OH is sick so there were no shenanigans for us. In fact I was just shy of 200cals under my daily limit.

I started walking this week, to take advantage of the nice weather, and until yesterday I was ravenous constantly, night and day. Really hoping that that will continue to die down because my willpower was very sorely tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've really struggled to stay on track this week. I've started each day with the best of intentions but by the end I just eat whatever junk I can find :/ I'm not hungry so it's purely psychological. I think it's the general sense of celebration around the place!

I'm considering this for the month of April, the husband wants to see if an elimination diet helps his ibs so it'd be a tough 30 days but worth a shot

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm like that today Dolbert, just been mindlessly eating all day 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I've had a rubbish week as well! Had our wedding menu tasting during the week which I knew would be a bit of a blowout, but haven't been able to pull it back since. Haven't been exercising either and feel a massive difference in my mood. Hectic day tomorrow but Sunday I'm hoping to get out for a run.

Okay, I decided to go back to basics and remember what worked for me when I lost weight last year. The first was following certain plate portions, not counting calories which weirdly always trips me up. I inevitably end up eating too little and jacking it in. I downloaded an app called Slimming Tracker which is based on Slimming World and allows you to track your food and categorise it into free, treats etc but no calorie count. The other thing is weighing myself less often, so I'm just going to weigh every 2 weeks and take progress pics at the start of every month so I'm more likely to see something I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

pampootie wrote: »
    I've had a rubbish week as well! Had our wedding menu tasting during the week which I knew would be a bit of a blowout, but haven't been able to pull it back since. Haven't been exercising either and feel a massive difference in my mood. Hectic day tomorrow but Sunday I'm hoping to get out for a run.

Did you decide what you are having?!

I dropped 0.2 kg this week which was fine as I was hoping to stay the same. Now at 61 exactly, so hopefully I will be at 60.something on Friday - would give me a bit of a boost.
    Hope everyone had a good start to the new week.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Back on it today. Have had a very very enjoyable two weeks of celebrating a massive work deal so I am feeling quite sluggish but still very happy at the moment.

Have lost two stone since last August and suprisingly enough I haven't gained any weight from the last two weeks I'm just fluctuating between 8st 10 and 8st 12 at the moment. I would ultimately like to lose another 10lb maybe and be in or around 8stone.
    I haven't exercised, eaten a piece of fruit or drank water for two weeks and I'm actually quite excited to be back to reality.
    I have a lot of events over the next month but also lots of work commitments so this month will be a balance of eating well but also allowing myself a break. I feel from Christmas to the beginning of March I was so so strict on myself that while I had fantastic results I probably took advantage of the last two weeks a little too much.

I'm feeling very very blah at the moment. I'll be primarily calorie counting and trying to get back into exercise again. Going for a kettle bell workout shortly which I'm already dreading.

Also want to reduce carbs a bit more, I lost weight easily while still eating them but I to eat pasta 5 times a week. Anymore and I'll turn into spaghetti.

My happy scale app is finally in sync with my actual weight! I was feeling a bit put out by being consistently under or over its predictions, but I suppose the more data it has the more accurate it can be.

128 pounds exactly this morning, with 2 more to go until I hit goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I like reading this Thread for motivation. I'm only at the beginning of my weight loss journay. I usually start off great and then fail after a month so I'm hoping this time is different. The reason I want to lose weight this time, is not because of the way I look but more so because I'm starting to worry about my health. Turning 32 in May. I think this is giving me that bit more determination. It's only the first week though so I won't get ahead of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Redser87 wrote: »
    Did you decide what you are having?!

Yup! Everything was delicious but I think we've narrowed it down, really excited now!

Having a better week, getting plenty of veg and water and it's made a huge difference to how I feel.

Scale is inching steadily downwards! This morning I was 127.2, or 1.2 pounds from goal. Some anxiety this month impacted my appetite, which probably helps the weight loss along. Not exactly the best strategy, but as long as it stays off I won't complain!

I'm doing well these last few days. I downloaded a WW app to help me along, will be interesting to see if it helps any more than MFP! As it's a "holiday" weekend it's tempting to not keep an eye on it, but as I know I'll be eating chocolate on Sunday I'm making an effort to rein it in the rest of the week!

I always find that if I log any binges in advance, like Easter chocolate, I'm a lot less likely to go mad and throw away progress I've already made. When I'm aware of what I'm eating I'm also more likely to be satisfied sooner, as opposed to mindlessly scoffing treats!

I do sometimes miss the "ah feck it, it's a treat" junk food fests, where I neither know not care how many calories I'm taking in. But I've worked too hard to give in. I'll occasionally give myself an "eat at maintenance day", where I get a couple hundred extra calories to use. That might slow my weight loss a fraction, but it keeps me motivated in the long term.

My advice would be to log everything. Even if you eat more than you meant to, log it all! No one has to see your diary but you. Log it all, then draw a line under it and keep working towards your goals.

I weighed myself this morning, no change at all. My weight loss has ground to a halt all too quickly, so I need to reassess. There's a chance that it could be the beginnings of PMS (given my insatiable appetite lately...) but I don't want to use that as an excuse to go nuts over the weekend.

Staying motivated is tougher when the scales don't move. I think I'll have to reduce my calories from 1400 to 1300, and try to stay away from the wine and heavy food at my parents' house this weekend!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I weighed myself this morning, no change at all. My weight loss has ground to a halt all too quickly, so I need to reassess. There's a chance that it could be the beginnings of PMS (given my insatiable appetite lately...) but I don't want to use that as an excuse to go nuts over the weekend.

Staying motivated is tougher when the scales don't move. I think I'll have to reduce my calories from 1400 to 1300, and try to stay away from the wine and heavy food at my parents' house this weekend!

I know it's probably counter intuitive but if you are exercising and calorie counting you might be eating too little. My cousin is a PT and he gave me a diet and exercise plan. He has me eating 2,000 calories a day and I'm seeing the scale go down again after it stalling.

• Advertisement

Daisies wrote: »
    I know it's probably counter intuitive but if you are exercising and calorie counting you might be eating too little. My cousin is a PT and he gave me a diet and exercise plan. He has me eating 2,000 calories a day and I'm seeing the scale go down again after it stalling.

You could be on to something there, alright. Did you find it helped significantly? My only fear is that, because I'm quite short, if I were to increase my calories I'd just make things worse. I've only started to stall since I introduced walking to the equation.

Do you take any other measurements? Like your waist, chest etc? I started doing that a few weeks into my weight loss plan, and sometimes when you can see inches going down despite the scale not moving it can really help with motivation :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    You could be on to something there, alright. Did you find it helped significantly? My only fear is that, because I'm quite short, if I were to increase my calories I'd just make things worse. I've only started to stall since I introduced walking to the equation.

I'd give it at least another few weeks before you change anything. Like you said if it's PMS time then it's likely you are retaining water.

jokettle wrote: »
    Do you take any other measurements? Like your waist, chest etc? I started doing that a few weeks into my weight loss plan, and sometimes when you can see inches going down despite the scale not moving it can really help with motivation :)

Not yet, I've been planning to but I keep forgetting to buy a tape measure! You're probably right though, I feel like my thighs and face are a little less bloated than before but I can't tell for sure.
    Daisies wrote: »
    I'd give it at least another few weeks before you change anything. Like you said if it's PMS time then it's likely you are retaining water.

Yeah it most likely is that, I'm probably just getting into a tizzy thinking that I'm failing already.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Daisies is right. Give it a couple more weeks. It could just be down to water retention around the time of the month.

Stressing about it can increase cortisol which would be another reason for water retention.

If you've been doing the right things, keep it up. The results will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

Its been a long, long time since I've checked in :)

I started my weightloss journey in 2014 weighing in at 161 lbs or there abouts, and I got down to 114 lbs last April. I'm only 5'2, was a size 8, and I walked alot. But I also looked miserable :p Everyone commented on how thin I had gotten, there was nothing left of me, you know the usual! So over the past 7 months I have gradually (without going OTT) increased calories. I'll admit it hasn't been easy as it can all become about the scales, and I have freaked out a bit, but at the moment I am hovering around 125-129 range, and looking a lot better for it. My fiancé was not impressed that my butt had disappeared, so he is very happy now that I have a bit of extra meat on my bones!

I'm getting married this year, recently changed jobs, moved to a new part of the country, so it has been stressful, and there has been plenty of take aways, but everyone comments how much better I look. I bought my wedding dress when I was a size 8, and the smallest I could get was a size 10, and it was too big on me, but when I tried it on recently it fit perfect. I'm hovering between an 8 and a 10 now, but definitely much happier now that I am not as restrictive with meals etc.

Now I just have to hope I don't keep gaining, coz God forbid I have to go shopping and buy another wedding dress :rolleyes:

Keep up the hard work everyone. It not all about the numbers on the scales or the calories in your grub, its about feeling happy in yourself that's most important and the best motivator around. Now I'm off to eat Easter Egg number 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

What exercise do ye ladies do on average each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

What exercise do ye ladies do on average each week?

I weigh train three times a week, at six months pregnant that's all I do.

Before I would go fast walking most days, and do some speed stuff in the gym a couple of times, weight training for me has been a revelation, made a massive change to my body shape, I still have work to do but that's on hold for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Spin classes 4 or if I'm religious 5 times a week.

Feel it's changd my shape as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

anewme wrote: »
    Spin classes 4 or if I'm religious 5 times a week.

Feel it's changd my shape as well.

I used to love spin class, really great way to burn a hell of a lot of calories, I had actually forgotten how much I liked it until I saw your post, must look into signing up for a couple of classes a week after july

Advertisement