Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yup, good stuff. I thought the 1916 lads stole the show - goes to show that opinions differ. Gerry Adams loss of belief in God when passing through Mullingar was funny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Excellent show last night, few politicians watching it from behind the couch I'd say, very close to the bone.
    John Colleary must be one of the most underrated comedians in the country,brilliant in this and brilliant in the Savage Eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

It's good stuff, the cut at the gathering was good and the letter from Australia savaging the hypocrisy in Irish public life. Enda Kenny is an easy target, he should be mercilessly mauled by political satirists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

On first impressions it's the best comedy show RTE have ever produced. Hopefully it keeps it up. Brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm trying my best to watch it but the rte player is utter ****ing shiote! three times its dropped the stream so far. :mad:

make that four times, I've given up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Really enjoyed it ... haven't laughed as much in a long time. Frank Hall would be proud of ye lads. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

please tell me that its going to repeated??????????? i put it on to record and when i went to look for it today I COULD NOT FIND IT, is it repeated......:(:odo any of you remember BULL ISLAND that was realy good until complaints came in from TD,S :mad::mad::mad: rte then scraped it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

cats.life wrote: »
    please tell me that its going to repeated??????????? i put it on to record and when i went to look for it today I COULD NOT FIND IT, is it repeated......:(:odo any of you remember BULL ISLAND that was realy good until complaints came in from TD,S :mad::mad::mad: rte then scraped it.

It's on the RTE player:
    http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10091927/

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

11.30 rte1 monday night if wanna record the repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

pigtown wrote: »
    Paul Howard, author of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

I thought he was hilarious considering he's a journalist/author and not a performer as such. He had the best shít-eating grin ever when he was talking to the guards and added a lot to what otherwise could have been an uninteresting sketch. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very entertaining show. The 1916 bit was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Just watching it now on RTE player. I really like it, sharp and I find myself laughing out loud.

The civil servant bit was spot on! And the Gathering/Taking bit was brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

Just watched it now and its already the funniest thing on RTE.

Best of luck in 2006 Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Quality satire. Well written, well acted and well filmed. S'pose it comes from a large group of writers with a good pedigree in comic writing.

I really enjoyed John Colleary and Elanor Tiernan's performance. And Dominic Walsh 'deh vice a' middle ireland!' is a spot on caricature of those awful midwestern country and western singers.

I look forward to more of the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Pretty good, though I'm not sure it had all that much bite in the end. Digs at Terry Prone are long, long overdue.

Thinking of Rory Bremner's work - I always thought Bird and Fortune arguing were better than the material from the man himself, if we're to compare this production with those that took on current issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just watched it there for the 2nd time........brilliant and i reckon it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Pretty good, though I'm not sure it had all that much bite in the end. Digs at Terry Prone are long, long overdue.
    With Prone what you really need is a sketch of her advising a politician on what to do and then another sketch of her on a TV show lambasting the politician for doing what she advised. Her ilk really are a cancer.

Btw only four episodes are due to be shown? Not much is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Must say it's very good. I hope RTÉ don't get complaints about it and axe it. In times like these, these kind of shows are gold when we can all feel united in how fecked up the country is and have a bit of a laugh. Shows like spitting image are what people need during a recession!
    There are serious undertones to it too, which gives it a bit of bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I doubt Terry Prone will be complaining - she'll probably use it in a briefing package for O'Reilly next week. And charge him - the dumbkopf that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Bull Island had lost its way by then, though, I think. I remember seeing one of the last shows and thinking it was pathetic.

To compare Bull Island with Irish Pictorial Weekly seems like comparing a butter knife with a rapier.

Stork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's like Sterling only there's more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It does seem to be a bit of the same as last week though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Yea, it's much the same standard as last week, but the surprise is gone. Could have done with a few new sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Is it just me, or is it not as good as last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm finding this to be very good! My first time watching.

I laughed at McWilliams though, good impression of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can't ever get enough of "Peter Daragh Quinn's Walks Along The Border". Too funny !

Ah well, thats that, it was ok, not as good as last week but still pretty funny. So I'll be here again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Yea, McWilliams and his high fullutent analogies were very good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Eleanor Tiernan doesnt look enough like Terry Prone to carry those sketches visually...

Advertisement