Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭

Nobody watching this? Fantastic so far IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ya, it's pretty sharp, seems eerily accurate, depressingly so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The Micheál Martin bit is very good.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes v good.

Those civil servants are depressing... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

just watching for first time (not sure if on before) . it's made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Austeri-Tea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Far more hits than misses, great stuff, particularly 'The Taking' bit and some of the Gerry Adams stuff

Gerry Adams playing God say the Queen on guitar:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Liked the barrys tea p*sstake also

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

The Show Mario wishes he could make. This should be no brainer for a second series, sharp and current with no fluting around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

TheBlock wrote: »
    The Show Mario wishes he could make. This should be no brainer for a second series, sharp and current with no fluting around.

exactly, satire with balls and laughs, well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not bad at all. They seem to have put a bit more effort into this than the Mario Rosenstock show. No offence to Mario but his TV show just didn't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

pm1977x wrote: »
    exactly, satire with balls and laughs, well done to all involved

+1 on this. This was the show that Rosenstock's wasn't. I had lost all faith in a good sketch show on RTE before I watched this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Really impressed with this. Gets across what most people are thinking but in a humorous manner. Very funny actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Very enjoyable.A rarity when comedy is undertaken by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

But let's see how long it'll be before the politicians ring in and start complaining. Shinners in particular are very sensitive. Whenever any show starts ridiculing politicians of any party, that's what happens. And spineless RTE listens when their masters speak

who was the bloke playing Peter Dara Quinn? looked familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Excellent show with cutting edge comedy. Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

I can't see any politicians having the neck to complain about it somehow, it would show them up to be utterly thin-skinned as well as the spineless buffoons that they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God, I'll have to watch this tomorrow so. Is the spirit of Frank Hall present? Or is it just a "homage" title?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That was great, every sketch.

Mario should be made study this to see what a satirical show actually is, not the pile of crap he made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I complained on the Mario thread about how toothless the satire was - well this show is all teeth. And they're made of knives.

Bitter, angry, spares no-one & was genuinely funny. Sure there were silly wigs but it all had bite. I'd almost given up hope RTE knew how to do satire at all. It's on the RTE player btw, but I'll definitely be coming back for more.

To be fair though, Barry Murphy has been behind some pretty sharp satire in the past; whether it was in the more political 'Aprés Match' moments (and I spotted his costar Gary Cooke) or those sketches he did for the otherwise bland 'The Eleventh Hour'. If they keep that level of cynicism throughout it could be a real winner - I just hope RTE don't bottle it and force the team to tone it down. The 1916 stuff was pretty depressing mind you, really rubbed salt in the wounds. Also glad to see some firm digs towards Terry Prone, she's well due them at this stage.

Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

A boards.ie thread praising an RTE production.
    So this must be what an alternative reality feels like :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

pixelburp wrote: »
    I complained on the Mario thread about how toothless the satire was - well this show is all teeth. And they're made of knives.

Bitter, angry, spares no-one & was genuinely funny. Sure there were silly wigs but it all had bite. I'd almost given up hope RTE knew how to do satire at all. It's on the RTE player btw, but I'll definitely be coming back for more.

To be fair though, Barry Murphy has been behind some pretty sharp satire in the past; whether it was in the more political 'Aprés Match' moments (and I spotted his costar Gary Cooke) or those sketches he did for the otherwise bland 'The Eleventh Hour'. If they keep that level of cynicism throughout it could be a real winner - I just hope RTE don't bottle it and force the team to tone it down. The 1916 stuff was pretty depressing mind you, really rubbed salt in the wounds. Also glad to see some firm digs towards Terry Prone, she's well due them at this stage.

Well done to all involved.

This.
    One set of parasites were replaced by the homegrown variety a hundred years ago - that sketch was really eerie and quite depressing actually, but I supose the truth always is.

Good show (except the Martin bits, which fell flat for me)
    No hits at Labour though?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I didn't think all the skits worked (the Easter Rising one for instance) but I laughed at a lot more than I normally would on an RTE show. The Gerry Adams/Gaybo interview I particularly liked. I give it a thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have to say I loved the kids

"Dad says the recession is good for population control, all the skangers and culchies will have to move to oz"

and the jibe about the non fee paying types playing for leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    who was the bloke playing Peter Dara Quinn? looked familiar

Paul Howard, author of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.
    I didn't think all the skits worked (the Easter Rising one for instance) but I laughed at a lot more than I normally would on an RTE show. The Gerry Adams/Gaybo interview I particularly liked. I give it a thumbs up.

I thought the 1916 one was really clever, politicians line their pockets as the country burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Fantastic Show. Delighted to have something like this back on the telly. First there was Hall's Pictorial Weekly, then Bull Island and now Irish Pictorial Weekly. Hopefully this will last longer than it's two precdecessors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

All the sketches were short, not long enough to get bored with any sketch. I happened to like all the sketches. There was a good variety of sketches between using all actors (1916) to the Michael Martin (using real footage) to Gay Byrne and Gerry Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It's really really great stuff.

Savagely funny.

Advertisement