Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

I didn't get that ' national anthem' sketch at all. did anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

What was that animation during the Angela Merkel "The Gathering" piece? It looked too good just to be done for a sketch show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

is it just me or was that a bit sh!te? one or two chuckles but to be honest its getting worse

sonic85 wrote: »
    is it just me or was that a bit sh!te? one or two chuckles but to be honest its getting worse

I thought it was pretty decent, Eleanor Tiernan is a real weak link though, she's just not particulary funny. Her impersonations aren't particularly good either, the lads are better at female impersonations than she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

coolhull wrote: »
    It was the history of Ireland, mimed, it said so at the beginning even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I thought it was pretty decent, Eleanor Tiernan is a real weak link though, she's just not particulary funny. Her impersonations aren't particularly good either, the lads are better at female impersonations than she is.

I actually thought her news reporter sketch was the funniest one of the whole show. Although that was probably down to the randomness of the writing rather then her acting.

She is definitely the weak link, all her impressions are pretty much the same. And, although it will show very harsh, I don't particularly like looking at her either

Lago wrote: »
    I actually thought her news reporter sketch was the funniest one of the whole show. Although that was probably down to the randomness of the writing rather then her acting.

She is definitely the weak link, all her impressions are pretty much the same. And, although it will show very harsh, I don't particularly like looking at her either

She's not the best looking but I wouldn't judge her comedy talents based on that, having a "characterful" face can be a help rather than a hindrance for a comedy actor/actress.

Her impressions are mostly irritating rather than funny, for example the real Terry Prone is bad enough but her impression of Terry Prone is so irritating it makes me want to switch off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This again, bringing the appearance of a female comedian into reasons why a person didn't like her. You have no problem with the appearance of the male cast then, must be all lookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This again, bringing the appearance of a female comedian into reasons why a person didn't like her. You have no problem with the appearance of the male cast then, must be all lookers.

I just said I don't like looking at her, I never said anything about her appearance. You brought that up. Why would you jump to that conclusion? Are you suggesting she's ugly? That's needlessly insulting, no need for that......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its lost its kick a fair bit since the first one. Still quite good but I dont think there should be more than one series of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I thought that was actully quite good but I couldn't figure who Gay was supposed to be talking to at all. The Prime Time bit was excellent IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I thought it was an improvement on last week

The court report was quite good as was the xpose skit and noonans sale of the century

But noonan being whipped in merkels dungeon was gas

If you were to watch the three 1916 sketches back to back they are really close to the bone for our political masters

Lots of politicians won't like this, the DG will be getting a call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Nuttzz wrote: »
    If you were to watch the three 1916 sketches back to back they are really close to the bone for our political masters

I agree with you there, definitely the most biting and edgy sketch of the show. I think overall the show is good and has maintained a steady standard since the beginning. Nobody expected much when it started and hence were pretty surprised by the quality of the first episode. I think that's why the last 2 episodes are being unfavourably compared to the first one.

"He's an eejit,
    He's an eejit,
    He's mighty feckin craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's a repeat.

Sorry! Looks like this is indeed a repeat of some(?) episodes of the third series of The Savage Eye and not the start of a new series.
    I was trying to check up on this in the RTE website including RTE Player which did not list the programme as a Repeat - nor did the Sunday Times Culture Section (normally a reliable source).

As an aside, the RTE website lists some of its own programmes under some strange categories:
    It lists as Comedy only three programmes (2 Broke Girls, New Girl and something called Immaturity for Charity).
    It then lists under Entertainment: The Mario Rosenstock Show and Irish Pictorial Weekly (- so they are not Comedy then!?).
    Under Drama it includes Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men, Cougar Town, and Don't Trust The B* in Apt 23 (not Comedy either in RTE's view!) as well as Fair City, Eastenders, Homeland, Mad Men and Love/Hate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ernest wrote: »
    It then lists under Entertainment: The Mario Rosenstock Show and Irish Pictorial Weekly (- so they are not Comedy then!?).

RTE has two departments for making TV like this - Entertainment and Drama. They don't have a 'comedy' department as such. I guess that's why they've listed those shows under Entertainment but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ernest wrote: »
    As an aside, the RTE website lists some of its own programmes under some strange categories:
    It lists as Comedy only three programmes (2 Broke Girls, New Girl and something called Immaturity for Charity).
    Under Drama it includes Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men, Cougar Town, and Don't Trust The B* in Apt 23 (not Comedy either in RTE's view!) as well as Fair City, Eastenders, Homeland, Mad Men and Love/Hate!

I've had that problem too ... now I stick with the A - Z option.
    I do think it is misleading (and annoying) when they don't indicate that something is a repeat. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I got it anyway.

I was laughing my brains out like some lunatic.

This is a really good show - Apres match finally gets its own slot but I fear they're too late to save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Thought it was better then last weeks show.

Eleanor Tiernan was funny in the news skit and the Xpose one,have no problem with her.Barry Murphy's history of Ireland mime was very good ,so were the secret millionaire and prime time car chasing sketches too.

Not a fan of the meaning of life skits or the voiceovers of politicians,gotten stale very quickly.

Was good to see Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An improvement on last weeks episode yeah, but there's little doubt that the repetition of some sketches is a little grating.

What I find weird is that they're clearly on the pulse in some respects - the paraplegic comment on the Xposé sketch shows they're updating the material to be topical - so I'm not sure why they can't fill the show with a bit more of that kind of material.

At a guess, maybe they filmed 90% of the episodes weeks back & kept some small slots open for the illusion of being on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

pixelburp wrote: »
    At a guess, maybe they filmed 90% of the episodes weeks back & kept some small slots open for the illusion of being on the ball.

It takes a while to film and edit sketches. It's very very difficult to write/film/edit/mix a whole show in a week and make it all topical.

They do film some stuff right up to the wire alright but it's rare that you'll see a show that isn't live that can be totally topical throughout. (I know South Park can do it but I suspect they've got a lot more money behind them than Pictorial Weekly!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I thought the national anthem was terrific.

Some of the others were a bit de ja view for me (see what I did there :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It takes a while to film and edit sketches. It's very very difficult to write/film/edit/mix a whole show in a week and make it all topical.

They do film some stuff right up to the wire alright but it's rare that you'll see a show that isn't live that can be totally topical throughout. (I know South Park can do it but I suspect they've got a lot more money behind them than Pictorial Weekly!)

Agreed. Drop The Dead Donkey was done up to the wire as well - but they still had some reserve material (idiot boss, egotistical vs. drunk newsreader, faking of footage) to get them through slow news weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Does anyone know the name of the theme song?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

roarlad wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the theme song?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Enjoying this series, particularly like the scenes from outside the courthouse. The primetime investigation into primetime was very good, liked the D Major to D Minor part.
    I don't mind the repetition of characters and scenes, it gives the show a bit of structure. No austeri-tee this week unfortunately, and I could do without the Gay Byrne bit, although the lady protraying Joan Burton was excellent, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

groovie wrote: »
    Enjoying this series, particularly like the scenes from outside the courthouse.

Obviously inspired by the court reports in the provincial press - and brilliantly done. That lady's delivery is excellent.

I loved Wally Breslin from the latest one. A kind of post-Celtic Tiger Del Boy. Likes to throw the tycoon-like shapes but hasn't a pot to piss in. It's so well done, that you actually feel some sympathy for him.

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

pixelburp wrote: »
    An improvement on last weeks episode yeah, but there's little doubt that the repetition of some sketches is a little grating.

The original Hall's Pictorial Weekly also had its regulars, so its continuiing a successful tradition. Miyah and Cheh, the Ballymagash Mothers of Seven, the Ballymagash Urban District Council (and their "Aginda"), Paddy Joe, Barney and...the other one ("Boys, oh boys...") all had regular appearances.

Of course, some will like this approach more than others.

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Does anyone know what the piano piece played for the Wally Breslin guy is called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

storker wrote: »
    The original Hall's Pictorial Weekly also had its regulars, so its continuiing a successful tradition. Miyah and Cheh, the Ballymagash Mothers of Seven, the Ballymagash Urban District Council (and their "Aginda"), Paddy Joe, Barney and...the other one ("Boys, oh boys...") all had regular appearances.

Of course, some will like this approach more than others.

Stork

I still vaguely remember the original Hall's Pictorial Weekly presented by Frank Hall. In truth, it was not very good either. Its presentation and sketches were leaden, slow moving and mostly not very funny. It, too, thought the idea of men dressed as women was a huge joke. The problem with the current RTE series is that Halls Pictorial Weekly was broadcast forty or more years ago when standards of home-made drama on RTE were dreadful and comedy practically non-existent. We expect a lot more in 2012. pixies!

Advertisement