Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ernest wrote: »
    I still vaguely remember the original Hall's Pictorial Weekly presented by Frank Hall. In truth, it was not very good either. Its presentation and sketches were leaden, slow moving and mostly not very funny. It, too, thought the idea of men dressed as women was a huge joke. The problem with the current RTE series is that Halls Pictorial Weekly was broadcast forty or more years ago when standards of home-made drama on RTE were dreadful and comedy practically non-existent. We expect a lot more in 2012. pixies!

You are correct ... there is a lot of nostalgia about Halls Pictorial, it had major weaknesses too but was of its day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That "pause for the Angelas" was pretty effective. It should be repeated on a non-stop loop. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Not a fan.
    Funny wigs do not a funny show make!

There's something about the pacing that I don't get.

Maybe I'm being seduced by the faster pace of Mario Rosenstock's show (which I like but wanted not to :cool:).

Is there room for the two shows on RTE. I know they're quite different but I compare them in terns of RTE's comedy output.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

When is this show returning in January ??
    I just checked the listings for Thursday and no sign of it this week :eek:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/?date=2013-01-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

imme wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being seduced by the faster pace of Mario Rosenstock's show (which I like but wanted not to :cool:).

Really? I found the Rosenstock show very slow paced. I only watched one episode though.
    ifconfig wrote: »
    When is this show returning in January ??
    I just checked the listings for Thursday and no sign of it this week :eek:

That was it I'm afraid. No word on a series 2 yet.

• Advertisement

3 episodes .. Oh dear !!

3 episodes .. Oh dear !!

I think there was 4, wasn't there?

Not unusual for a short run to test the water for a show.

Yes - I think you are correct.
    4 episodes rather than 3.

Pity is has come to an abrupt end.
    I enjoyed it quite a lot, to be honest.

I find that Calleary actor/comedian who was in Savage Eye to be excellent at dead pan political satire.
    Loved his Gerry Adams , border guard in pursuit of nephew Quinn and his 1916 proclamation/benefits for the boys chairmanship role :)

I find that Calleary actor/comedian who was in Savage Eye to be excellent at dead pan political satire.
    Loved his Gerry Adams , border guard in pursuit of nephew Quinn and his 1916 proclamation/benefits for the boys chairmanship role :)

He's also a really great stand-up. I recommend checking him out on stage if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This and the Savage Eye have been the best comedy shows on RTE in years. Both are also brilliantly relevant.

This may mean however that their shelf life is limited. Savage Eye to a lesser extent though.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    He's also a really great stand-up. I recommend checking him out on stage if you get a chance.

You anticipated my next question.

Excellent - I had a hunch he would be a good stand up comedian.
    I'm not a big stand up comedian fan (mostly because I think a lot are over-rated).
    I definitely sniff talent with that chap.
    Must look out to see when he is next performing West of the Shannon.

He has the Irish political class down to a tee :)

Good news everybody.

Filming started on series 2 of this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

Why are they showing this ****e on television again.

Why are they showing this ****e on television again.

Because people enjoyed it quite a lot the first time around.

Well they should get a clue . The script has no bite .It isn't clever or funny. Its childish nonsense . As a licence payer, my tv licence shouldn't be funding this muck.

Well they should get a clue . The script has no bite .It isn't clever or funny. Its childish nonsense . As a licence payer, my tv licence shouldn't be funding this muck.

You're very angry about television aren't you? :)

As a licence-fee payer I think my licence should be funding this program because it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't see the point in getting angry about television, when they come with a power switch to turn them off. If you don't like something, don't watch it, it really is that simple people.

I don't see the point in getting angry about television, when they come with a power switch to turn them off. If you don't like something, don't watch it, it really is that simple people.

I enjoy criticising TV. It can be more fun that watching it sometimes.

But crankytiger2011 just seems to exist on boards to shout "why this sh*te is still on telly?" - that's all he/she does seemingly.

I enjoy criticising TV. It can be more fun that watching it sometimes.

But crankytiger2011 just seems to exist on boards to shout "why this sh*te is still on telly?" - that's all he/she does seemingly.

Do you know what RTE really stands for?. REALLY TERRIBLE ENTERTAINMENT.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I can't help but LOL... :D:D:o:o:D:D:);)

If it really stands for that, then why does it do news and current affairs? :o:D:)

• Advertisement

I get it now. You're a parody of angry online commentators.

Heh. Heh. I get jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ah sure, that's just something you say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Sure your telly licence funds some proper much. This is actually some satirical escapism. Climb back in your box (and not Bosco's - wouldn't want to inflict you on him, he's getting on now, like the rest of us!) why don't you. Just coming on to threads to complain, curse and act an arse :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The best thing about this programme is when it gets semi-serious, such as the display of the obscene amounts of money paid to Government advisors set to the tune of Bosco.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Joan Burton sketch - brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Where is the Austerity Tea Lady? I used to love her.

hdowney wrote: »
    Sure your telly licence funds some proper much. This is actually some satirical escapism. Climb back in your box (and not Bosco's - wouldn't want to inflict you on him, he's getting on now, like the rest of us!) why don't you. Just coming on to threads to complain, curse and act an arse :confused:

The only real satire in that programme was the joke about them keeping the fluoride in the water . Of course that joke would be too high brow for you morons, as you have consumed too much of it, so your brain has probably been calcified to the size of a pea by now, which is why your amused by low brow comedy such as this and the republic of telly ****e.

The only real satire in that programme was the joke about them keeping the fluoride in the water . Of course that joke would be too high brow for you morons, as you have consumed too much of it, so your brain has probably been calcified to the size of a pea by now, which is why your amused by low brow comedy such as this and the republic of telly ****e.

Brilliant!

You've got those ranty Science-hating fluoride folk down perfectly!

You should get a sketch on Pictorial yourself ya mad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Glad to see this back, easily the best comedy show RTE have put on in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

HighClass wrote: »
    Glad to see this back, easily the best comedy show RTE have put on in years!

Easily when compared to compared to the republic of telly.It is also a lot better than mario rosenstock's which I thought was very poor this season.

Advertisement