Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pictorial Weekly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It wasn't a patch on the first couple of series 1 but it still had a few great moments. Hope it picks up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Excellent program it goes beyond comedy

The best thing about this programme is when it gets semi-serious, such as the display of the obscene amounts of money paid to Government advisors set to the tune of Bosco.

Maybe it was the wine but i felt incredibly sad when that came on

childhood innocence coming head to head with raw corruption:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I had to rewind to read what each advisor was getting as I missed it the first time due to bopping along to Bosco in a trance that took me back to my childhood sitting on the rug infront the fire watching him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The best thing about this programme is when it gets semi-serious, such as the display of the obscene amounts of money paid to Government advisors set to the tune of Bosco.

Loved that.

Anyone thing the vague hints of violence towards government ministers were a little too far perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Excellent program it goes beyond comedy

Maybe it was the wine but i felt incredibly sad when that came on

childhood innocence coming head to head with raw corruption:mad:

It makes you laugh but also makes you so mad. Great stuff. I think Murphy is a gifted comedian and he's very very angry. It's a brilliant combination.

All the figures they use are spot on accurate too. Those guys are milking the system while the rest of us are bearing the brunt of the debt the country is in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭xploderz

First episode last night was a bit disappointing compared to the other series, Joan Burton sketch was funny though, what sort of age group is this aimed at? I doubt many people under 30 would even get half the references.

xploderz wrote: »
    First episode last night was a bit disappointing compared to the other series, Joan Burton sketch was funny though, what sort of age group is this aimed at? I doubt many people under 30 would even get half the references.

I reckon it's aimed primarily at the 30+ age group.

Although don't underestimate the younger viewers. I don't see anything specific that they won't get if they have a bit of awareness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I loved the late late show audience on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Primetime sketch last night was brilliant. Was very much in line with the "One of those programmes" skit where they pretty much call a spade a spade when it comes to spin and what politics really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I can't get enough of Eleanor Tiernan's mock-correspondent sketches:

Primetime investigates Primetime

Last night's special advisers sketch was brilliant, as well.

Some of the sketches - dubbing over Anne Doyle, for instance - are a little bit unoriginal. But, overall, I think it's of superb quality, an so unlike RTE.

It's generally incredibly anti-establishment, and hostile to current Irish politics. Conspiracy theorists must be wondering why government censors haven't pulled it yet. It's funny that the show has four legal advisers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

xploderz wrote: »

I'm 28 and think its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

''What I would say,and I can't make this point strongly enough,is that I'm retiring just before the next general election, on the equivalent of about 5 grand a week,so I'm quite limited in the extent to which I actually care''

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

''What I would say,and I can't make this point strongly enough,is that I'm retiring just before the next general election, on the equivalent of about 5 grand a week,so I'm quite limited in the extent to which I actually care''
    you are not an ESB employee so they reckon thier pension will be €16 a week :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Give me the Savage Eye over this any day.

Just youtubed it - love it.

Better than Mario (although I loved his Donal Skehan sketch :D)

Different planet to Republic of Telly, which gets way to much promotion by RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Very very lazy. Telling the same jokes every week when there are only 4 episodes, could they not think up enough sketches for a few episodes? Alan Shortt was never funny, no one liked Bull Island, and Tommy Tiernan's cousin is cringe inducing, her Joan Burton impression is terrible and is just an impression of Mario Rosenstock, who himself can't seem to do accurate impressions anymore. Compare it to Risteard Cooper's from Apres Match who can actually do the voice. Her voice is deep for a start.

Not enough of an effort to be funny, instead there are loads of "deconstructing tv" sketches because they want to be satirical. Those sketches are on the same level as political cartoons in a newspaper. They should just have given Apres Match a series and brought Risteard Cooper along and ditched the rest. The Apres Match spoofs of Vincent Browne were miles better than this nonsense. Cooper seems to have burnt his bridges with that series he did a few years ago where he played every role though

So it was disappointing, considering 2/3's of Apres Match were involved. The guy from Savage Eye is the only non Apres Match member not to look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

doing wrote: »
    Very very lazy. Telling the same jokes every week when there are only 4 episodes, could they not think up enough sketches for a few episodes? Alan Shortt was never funny, no one liked Bull Island, and Tommy Tiernan's cousin is cringe inducing, her Joan Burton impression is terrible and is just an impression of Mario Rosenstock, who himself can't seem to do accurate impressions anymore. Compare it to Risteard Cooper's from Apres Match who can actually do the voice. Her voice is deep for a start.

Not enough of an effort to be funny, instead there are loads of "deconstructing tv" sketches because they want to be satirical. Those sketches are on the same level as political cartoons in a newspaper. They should just have given Apres Match a series and brought Risteard Cooper along and ditched the rest. The Apres Match spoofs of Vincent Browne were miles better than this nonsense. Cooper seems to have burnt his bridges with that series he did a few years ago where he played every role though

So it was disappointing, considering 2/3's of Apres Match were involved. The guy from Savage is the only non Apres Match member not to look out of place.
    it is a satirical show....

it is a satirical show....

Satire is meant to be funny...

Laboured, formulaic sketches like that are never funny...I expect to laugh when I tune into a comedy, not see the televisual equivalent of the cartoon in the Irish Times.

They stole the unfunny "dubbing politicians so they're talking gibberish" routine from US sketch shows. They're repeating the same jokes every episode like Little Britain but there are only 4 episodes. It's just so lazy.

Laboured, formulaic sketches like that are never funny...I expect to laugh when I tune into a comedy, not see the televisual equivalent of the cartoon in the Irish Times.

They stole the unfunny "dubbing politicians so they're talking gibberish" routine from US sketch shows. They're repeating the same jokes every episode like Little Britain but there are only 4 episodes. It's just so lazy.
    It's not for you, because i watched it the other night and thought it was powerful stuff!

It's not for you, because i watched it the other night and thought it was powerful stuff!

Look forward to all the same jokes in the next episode so.

• Advertisement

I suppose like all things it's a matter of taste. I find it very funny.

And just for the record Barry Murphy has been doing the 'dubbing over people' thing on TV since the 90s so I guess he has as much claim to it as anyone.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

And just for the record Barry Murphy has been doing the 'dubbing over people' thing on TV since the 90s so I guess he has as much claim to it as anyone.
    yeah it's a common format so it can't really be stolen...just borrowed!

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Nope, they copied the sketch. There's a huge difference between on the one hand dubbing funny dialogue and ignoring the lip syncing, which as you say is as old as the hills, eg

and then on the other hand matching the lip sync to gibberish like this huge viral hit the Irish Pictorial Weekly writers obviously saw last year:

which they then copied in my opinion, unless there was a huge coincidence

Not only have they lazily copied this huge viral hit, they do this one joke in every single episode. That is very lazy.

But you're right in saying it's subjective and if you're enjoying it I'm not trying to take that away from you. I was just writing down my own reaction just as you wrote yours. Just disappointed at how few original jokes there are when you watch an episode, between copied jokes like that one and then repeating all the rest of them when there are only 4 episodes, when you consider how 2/3's of Apres Match are in it and of the funniest people from the Savage Eye..

Nope, they copied the sketch. There's a huge difference between on the one hand dubbing funny dialogue and ignoring the lip syncing, which as you say is as old as the hills, eg

and then on the other hand matching the lip sync to gibberish like this huge viral hit the Irish Pictorial Weekly writers obviously saw last year:

which they then copied in my opinion, unless there was a huge coincidence

Not only have they lazily copied this huge viral hit, they do this one joke in every single episode. That is very lazy.

But you're right in saying it's subjective and if you're enjoying it I'm not trying to take that away from you. I was just writing down my own reaction just as you wrote yours. Just disappointed at how few original jokes there are when you watch an episode, between copied jokes like that one and then repeating all the rest of them when there are only 4 episodes, when you consider how 2/3's of Apres Match are in it and of the funniest people from the Savage Eye..
    are you honestly suggesting that the so called "viral hit" from last year was original? go look up chris morris and come back to me....these are common tools of satire...certainly not stealing. The beatles, led zep and black sabbath would be suing everyone if that was the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Just caught up with the newest episode. It keeps getting better as it goes on! The Brian Dobson parts were great, the fact they make parts of the show about recent events that happened a week before the episode gets aired is a testament to how great it is!

Another good episode this week.

The kids re-enacting political speeches sketches are a bit meh,and go on a bit too long.

The guy in the dole office answering the counter girls questions in political bull**** language was very clever.

They also missed a trick by not having Eleanor Tiernan throw in some unaudible Irish gibberish at the end of the Crimecall sketch,just like Seoige always does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Really enjoying this series. The Court reports are great, and the civil servant meeting is quite realistic, based on my experience of attending a monthly meeting in one Dept. The intro stuff is quite dark, but we really do need some commentary like this now.

I spotted this new BBC show - nicely satirical, but with a bit more of a 'candid camera' approach; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vqgx3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

They also missed a trick by not having Eleanor Tiernan throw in some unaudible Irish gibberish at the end of the Crimecall sketch,just like Seoige always does.

Yes! I haven't seen the latest episode yet but I once caught Seoige's sign-off at the tail end of Crimecall once and thought it very contrived.

Did this show start off as a radio series by the same creators? Or am I mis-remembering? If so, I wouldn't mind listening back to a few if they're available anywhere.

Very good again this week,loved the take off of Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen song in the intro.

Eircom phonewatch/house repossesion skit was very well done.

They have so much material to use in the Top 100 FF'r list thing too,great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Very good again this week,loved the take off of Baz Luhrmann's Sunscreen song in the intro.

Eircom phonewatch/house repossesion skit was very well done.

They have so much material to use in the Top 100 FF'r list thing too,great idea.

Thought it was another strong one, particularly liked the Ceann Comhairle kids sketch "is this actually a real person?" :confused:

Advertisement