Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

....supported by a certificate from a Suitably Qualified Individual.

"Hello, Revenue ? Can you give me a list of Suitably Qualified Individuals in Dublin?"

" Sorry, can't do. You have to find one yourself"

" Where would I find a list of them?"

" Can't tell you that either" :mad::mad::mad:

Better to use a bus and GoCar, feck this paying tax lark to a department that doesn't want your money :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

macplaxton wrote: »

Grand, Ta ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

If I can find them, so can they. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Hi I have been reading this with great interest from OP to 1415 today.
    Anyway I noticed the DD advert for the Disco / Range weeks ago and im glad that some other people have doubts about how legit this vehicle actually is.

Can anybody tell how you would get insurance cover without telling them porkies and if you did get cover what would happen whilst trying to make a claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Hi I have been reading this with great interest from OP to 1415 today.
    Anyway I noticed the DD advert for the Disco / Range weeks ago and im glad that some other people have doubts about how legit this vehicle actually is.

Can anybody tell how you would get insurance cover without telling them porkies and if you did get cover what would happen whilst trying to make a claim?
    why would you need to tell them porkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

You should always fully disclose everything to your insurance company otherwise you will only have a worthless piece of paper. I would suggest asking the insurance companies about it directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I found one easily enough in Cork to certify my Camper

You should always fully disclose everything to your insurance company otherwise you will only have a worthless piece of paper. I would suggest asking the insurance companies about it directly.

It's a gamble - 'full disclosure' is an excuse for some conehead in a partition in an insurance to hike up your premium based on his total lack of knowledge of motors other than his company Fiesta ( guy said to me about my 73Dyane 6 - "cars don't have engines that small" :rolleyes: )

If you 'wing it' then the assessor might miss the chassis change and you'll be up bobs.;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is being discussed on Liveline now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Capri wrote: »
    MANY MANY years ago, I bought a rolled 6mth old Fiesta and went into my local Ford dealer and ordered a brand new painted shell. It arrived on a pallet to the front door and I proceeded to strip the old shell and put the bits in the garage, then I started to rebuild on the bits into the new shell - now, AFIR, I was not charged duty or given a new reg. no for the new shell, all I did was cut the old chassis no off the old shell and stuck it into the new shell - which had no chassis no stamped in it . When I sold it on I showed the buyer ALL the photos of the build etc and all the receipts - he went off a happy man.

................I'm guessing prior to 1993 when VRT came along. Prior to that the shell was considered a spare part. Post '93 the were subject to VRT and not sold by dealers unless it was a special request and the Insurance Companies were involved, i.e a car less than months old being totalled. Generally it wasn't economical though. Even the rally boys had serious trouble re-shelling cars.

Hermy wrote: »
    This is being discussed on Liveline now.

......missed it. What was the outcome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Am I missing something? Why is the 1974 car €1809 tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Am I missing something? Why is the 1974 car €1809 tax?

Because the last time it was taxed it wasn't vin/vet, it's still on the 'private' category.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

hi5 wrote: »
    Because the last time it was taxed it wasn't vin/vet, it's still on the 'private' category.

So it hasn't been taxed since 2004?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

So it hasn't been taxed since 2004?

Either that, or the owner doesn't know about the vintage tax rate.

I have a car myself a 1954 Ford which hasn't been taxed since 1986 when it was imported. The tax rate it shows is the private rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

hi5 wrote: »
    Either that, or the owner doesn't know about the vintage tax rate.

I have a car myself a 1954 Ford which hasn't been taxed since 1986 when it was imported. The tax rate it shows is the private rate.

It's up to you to tell them about the vintage rate. If your ignorant of the fact the will keep charging you the previous rate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

More likely the dondeal website filled that bit automatically and advertiser did not notice or did not know. That car looks like a XJ6 of the appropriate age. Would need better photos and more of them to be sure. View of the rear and view of the engine bay would confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

First car -1974 Jaguar XJ 6 ,series 2, qualifies for classic tax and Insurance

Second car- 1996 Jaguar XJ 6 ,x300, normal tax rates apply.
    :)

That XJ could be worth a gander at that price, original Irish, dry stored etc...Mmmm!

a lot of car for very little!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What is the penalty for ringing? Does anyone know?

The only sentences I can find in the papers refer to cases where stolen cars are ringed I can't find anything relating to a situation where the vehicle is legitimately owned but given a false identity.

If the authorities wanted to crack down on this activity I imagine a few cases where individuals were sentenced to prison would help to clean up the scene pretty quickly.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Do-more wrote: »
    What is the penalty for ringing? Does anyone know?

The only sentences I can find in the papers refer to cases where stolen cars are ringed I can't find anything relating to a situation where the vehicle is legitimately owned but given a false identity.

If the authorities wanted to crack down on this activity I imagine a few cases where individuals were sentenced to prison would help to clean up the scene pretty quickly.

I think the main issue would be insurance, you would not be insured at all because the vehicle you are insuring is not the one you have swapped the plates/vin for.
    That would be a hefty find/disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

JoeySully wrote: »
    I think the main issue would be insurance, you would not be insured at all because the vehicle you are insuring is not the one you have swapped the plates/vin for.
    That would be a hefty find/disqualification.

In discussions with AXA, I had it confirmed by them , that as long as the details of the Chassis No and the Engine capacity are correct,then the Reg No is of no interest to them .The legal standing of any particular vehicle that is on the road, does not dictate that they will refuse cover. They are aware that this practice is widespread among a certain section of the "Classic" owners, so I assume that as long as they profit by ignoring this fraud, they will continue to do so. If anyone wishes to contact Myles O Reilly of AXA , he should confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

mountai wrote: »
    In discussions with AXA, I had it confirmed by them , that as long as the details of the Chassis No and the Engine capacity are correct,then the Reg No is of no interest to them .The legal standing of any particular vehicle that is on the road, does not dictate that they will refuse cover. They are aware that this practice is widespread among a certain section of the "Classic" owners, so I assume that as long as they profit by ignoring this fraud, they will continue to do so. If anyone wishes to contact Myles O Reilly of AXA , he should confirm this.

I have also made enquiries on behalf of my club regarding this issue and insurance cover. As long as the details of the car you have insured are correct, eg: engine size, year, make, model, chassis number (if they even ask for it) etc.. the actual registration number itself is not an issue and the vehicle will be covered by insurance in the event of an accident or claim.

Now if you give incorrect details about your actual vehicle, thats breech of insurance conditions the same as any policy and thats a different story for example some people may insure a 1.6L car as 1.3L etc..., but ringed or not, for vintage and classic cars there is no reason why someone would have to lie at all, just give the actual details of the vehicle itself and your Hunky Dory, no issues!

I doubt that will hold water when put to the test

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

corktina wrote: »
    I doubt that will hold water when put to the test

Why, what did your insurance company say on the matter?

• Advertisement

i'm not ringing cars so I have had no need to ask. I imagine the Gards and the Courts would have different opinions on whether the registration number is of no matter

Advertisement