Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The elephant in the room thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

oceanman wrote: »
    it would depend a lot on the judge, but I couldn't see it being more than a couple of hundred euro..
    I'd say a lot of people share that view given that so many "ringers" are on the road. If people thought that their car would be taken and crushed and they would get a €10,000+ fine there might be a lot fewer doing it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Capri wrote: »
    Whats the situation in Sweden - surely Nordic logic prevails ;)

Petrol v's 'Daysel' , Classics v's youngtimers v's ordinary cars .

What cultural differences have you noticed - are people happy paying high tax or do they try to avoid it ?
    Do people prefer petrol to diesel ?
    Is there a fair road tax system regarding all ages of vehicles?
    What is insurance like ?

Very few daysuls here in former years due to a combination of cold weather problems with the diesel and the fact that road tax was about 3 times that of petrol equivalents due to the particulate emissions being seen as environmentally unfriendly. That situation changed about 3 years ago when rates were more balanced, diesel is still not very popular but has become a bit more common.

Apart from tax on petrol, cars aren't particularly highly taxed here. I just checked a '91 Merc 560 SEC and the road tax is about €335 a year, so there isn't the problem of road tax being greater than the value of the car here on big engined 10year+ old cars.

Insurance tends to be reasonable enough.

No VRT here and a decent and affordable personal number plate system and no year identifier on the plates so no reason to ring anything here.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

Do-more wrote: »
    When I was asking about the penalties I hadn't in mind the insurance aspect, perhaps we can put that aside for a moment as we don't appear to be reaching consensus on that! :p

What I was more thinking of is if the Revenue and Gardai were to stop a suspect vehicle at one of their joint check points what would the penalties be?

The Revenue matter of evading VRT would be a fine, how much?, (you can evade millions in income tax and VAT and not get locked up, just pay back tax and a fine so I assume this would be similar). but if charged by the Gardai and subsequently prosecuted for driving a vehicle with false registration plates what's the penalty?

There's a possible 200 euro loss to the revenue, because this is so small they are chasing bigger fish and rightly so , Afterall revenue is about taking in money ,not big brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Very few daysuls here in former years due to a combination of cold weather problems with the diesel and the fact that road tax was about 3 times that of petrol equivalents due to the particulate emissions being seen as environmentally unfriendly. That situation changed about 3 years ago when rates were more balanced, diesel is still not very popular but has become a bit more common.

Apart from tax on petrol, cars aren't particularly highly taxed here. I just checked a '91 Merc 560 SEC and the road tax is about €335 a year, so there isn't the problem of road tax being greater than the value of the car here on big engined 10year+ old cars.

No VRT here and a decent and affordable personal number plate system and no year identifier on the plates so no reason to ring anything here.

So THERE ARE countries with sensible car tax policys - the muppets in govt. here just want to kill the goose that could lay the golden eggs - in case she might lay too many :eek: :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vintage/5709673
    i have a log book for sale for a 1982 mini €500

Full-23316655.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

A comedian as well as a clown!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

it's gone, DD are getting quick!!

Sold !! Brown logbooks are the new Blue chip investments :P:P

Seriously, let's hold a mirror up to this discussion. Would it take place in any other country. A group of people complaining that some others are using a loophole to enjoy their pastime cheaply while those complaining are also complaining about stupid govt regulations that are distorting the market and making it expensive to enjoy said pastime :confused:

Let's say that next week the govt announced a €200 across the board motor tax rate and made diesel €1 / litre more expensive and that motorists own the plate and the govt is nationalising the motor insurance business - THEN what would happen ?? (Apart from the govt raising revenue ;) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, In Germany people would shop lawbreakers to the authorities who actually deal with matters swiftly and decisively.
    It happens in Ireland because of the Brits.
    Because Ireland was an occupied country, the general mindset is "fcuk authority" and "I'll look after my own slice first" and people will try to break as many small rules as they can. This used to be to the detriment of the occupying force.
    Since that force has left, it is done to the detriment of the Irish people, i.e. you sh*t on each other because of some ingrained need to piss off authority that no longer exists and harm no one but yourself.
    This is the reason why Ireland cannot ever be Switzerland or Sweden, because people just plow their own little furrow and if they find a big stick in their way, they'll throw it in the next guy's path, thinking "I'll fix his wagon if he thinks he's getting one up on me", which is why no forward planning exists in this country (don't let the enemy know your plans) and no co-operation between people or joined up thinking (remember, YOU first and everyone else can rot) doesn't exist.
    If you pay attention on any report on schooling, hospitals, planning, public transport, social planning and so on, the phrase that is included as standard is "lack of forward planning and joined up thinking".
    People always wonder why Ireland suffers from so many different problems, there you go!
    Unfortunately this does not look like changing in the near or distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Capri wrote: »
    Sold !! Brown logbooks are the new Blue chip investments :P:P

Seriously, let's hold a mirror up to this discussion. Would it take place in any other country. A group of people complaining that some others are using a loophole to enjoy their pastime cheaply while those complaining are also complaining about stupid govt regulations that are distorting the market and making it expensive to enjoy said pastime :confused:

Let's say that next week the govt announced a €200 across the board motor tax rate and made diesel €1 / litre more expensive and that motorists own the plate and the govt is nationalising the motor insurance business - THEN what would happen ?? (Apart from the govt raising revenue ;) )

Lemme see....
    last year my road tax was 56 PA, now its 200....RIP OFF IRELAND
    diesel now 2.60 a litre.....RIP OFF IRELAND
    tried to get a personalized plate, I wanted SKOBIE 1, was told it would cost 500 Euro 'cos its got a 'K' in it.......RIP OFF IRELAND
    I see Quinn is back in the Insurance business, he should be in jail......
    WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE OLD SYSTEM !!!!!!
    I'm gettin' straight onto Joe, on Monday, or maybe Tuesday, first I've got to sell that 6 litre diesel Merc piece of junk I have before the NCT is due.....RIP OFF IRELAND

• Advertisement

Well, In Germany people would shop lawbreakers to the authorities who actually deal with matters swiftly and decisively.
    It happens in Ireland because of the Brits.
    Because Ireland was an occupied country, the general mindset is "fcuk authority" and "I'll look after my own slice first" and people will try to break as many small rules as they can. This used to be to the detriment of the occupying force.
    Since that force has left, it is done to the detriment of the Irish people, i.e. you sh*t on each other because of some ingrained need to piss off authority that no longer exists and harm no one but yourself.
    This is the reason why Ireland cannot ever be Switzerland or Sweden, because people just plow their own little furrow and if they find a big stick in their way, they'll throw it in the next guy's path, thinking "I'll fix his wagon if he thinks he's getting one up on me", which is why no forward planning exists in this country (don't let the enemy know your plans) and no co-operation between people or joined up thinking (remember, YOU first and everyone else can rot) doesn't exist.
    If you pay attention on any report on schooling, hospitals, planning, public transport, social planning and so on, the phrase that is included as standard is "lack of forward planning and joined up thinking".
    People always wonder why Ireland suffers from so many different problems, there you go!
    Unfortunately this does not look like changing in the near or distant future.

Well said, although I wouldn't blame the Brits, I think we were always like that.

swarlb wrote: »
    Lemme see....
    last year my road tax was 150 PA, now its 200....RIP OFF IRELAND
    tried to get a personalized plate, I wanted SKOBIE 1, was told it would cost 500 Euro 'cos its got a 'K' in it.......RIP OFF IRELAND
    I'm gettin' straight onto Joe, on Monday.

They do personalised plates now? Must have missed that.

Well said, although I wouldn't blame the Brits, I think we were always like that.

Maybe the Vikings? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US

I do agree with the sentiment that Ireland is overpriced and you get nothing for it.
    But that is down to the "every man for himself" mentality here (IMO).

ba_barabus wrote: »

They didn't bother invading for a start, probably 'cos they knew we were a bunch of halfwits....

ba_barabus wrote: »

They didn't hang around here for long. They took one look and decided it wasn't for them. Too cold and rainy, too savage.
    To this day you won't find many Italians here and the ones that are here will complain about the food and the weather.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lemme see....
    last year my road tax was 150 PA, now its 200....RIP OFF IRELAND
    I'm gettin' straight onto Joe, on Monday.

Go on , go on , Talk to Joe............. oh yeah.....and how much.....Jaysus , tell me , tell me, talk to Joe......1800...........! Sure Jaysus lads there may be enough material here foe a few songs on Funny Friday...... go on , tell me, talk to Joe!:D

They do personalised plates now? Must have missed that.
    They never did, but it was prompted by Capri in his post, the one I quoted.

Anyways, that was my rant for the day. Maybe not entirely on topic.

• Advertisement

They didn't hang around here for long. They took one look and decided it wasn't for them. Too cold and rainy, too savage.
    To this day you won't find many Italians here and the ones that are here will complain about the food and the weather.;)

And their cars don't work in the rain.............too damp!:D

Anyways, that was my rant for the day. Maybe not entirely on topic.

Eh ? No!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yeah, the Romans didn't have much time for savages, the Irish sea kept us out and they built a wall to keep the Scots out.

And now back to the cloned cars?

Well lads, I'm diggin' out me fur hat and bringing all me big V8's up to Sweden where I can enjoy motoring at a reasonable cost - long summer cruisin days and heated garage to polish them in during the winter :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

hi5 wrote: »
    Yeah, the Romans didn't have much time for savages, the Irish sea kept us out and they built a wall to keep the Scots out.

The Romans called this place Hibernia (Winterland) so no wonder they did not hang about. Florence or Mullingar? Now let me see ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

How old is this (plate)?

993361_510967698983588_3950821_n.jpg

:confused:

mb1725 wrote: »
    How old is this (plate)?

993361_510967698983588_3950821_n.jpg

:confused:

1986 ?.??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

if the reg is si 607 it is 1986 if it is ?si 607 it would be 1982 or 1983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Even though production of the Mk2 had ceased by the time the reg was issued, it could easily be an import from '83 or '86, which would have been given the next "new" plate at the time.

If it was imported after 1/1/87, it would have been given a plate from its original year of manufacture, eg: 78-D-nnn

Advertisement