Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

Richard was on Have I got News for You a few weeks back and said that during recording the day before the category was famous assassinations. A woman said that she only knew one and would have to go for the obvious one. The clue was Dallas and lee harvey Oswald. She said JR Ewing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

brian_t wrote: »
    Alexander usually asks how they will spend their winnings after the first guess has beeen scored.

When he switches and asks them before any guess is scored you know that the first guess is going to be pointless.

And they always say they'll spend it on a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Cienciano wrote: »
    And they always say they'll spend it on a holiday

I'm waiting for someone to say they would spend the money on cocaine and strippers. I could be waiting a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Didn't like the pair in the final. I did a lot of shouting at them over their arrogance.

Was delighted they didn't win the money either. They were full of themselves.

I thought they would have edited out the asking what a consonant was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I agree that they should have edited out the guy querying what a consonant was. Most unfortunate.
    I had opted for Democratic Republic of Congo in the final. Win!

I have rarely seen two contestants as good as they were (arrogance aside) crash and burn so spectacularly in a final round. Complete goons. Also, using the Anthology-era Beatles singles as answers is an old trick that any regular viewer-turned-contestant perhaps should have picked up on.
    There was a round before where they wanted two-word title Beatles singles, and Real Love was very low, possibly pointless. When the question appeared yesterday, I immediately thought that Free As A Bird and Real Love were the obvious ones to go for, but I was surprised that BOTH were Pointless. I also think the young lad opting for Come Together was sheer fluke. Most people don't know that was a single, and I'm wondering what his other guess would have been.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

We did pretty badly playing along with yesterday's show - our football grounds answers were Sheffield United (me, 100 points) and Villa Park. Beatles songs answers were Yellow Submarine and Norwegian Wood (me again, another 100 points). And then for the final we came up with 7 pointless answers between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

We did pretty badly playing along with yesterday's show - our football grounds answers were Sheffield United (me, 100 points) and Villa Park. Beatles songs answers were Yellow Submarine and Norwegian Wood (me again, another 100 points). And then for the final we came up with 7 pointless answers between us.

The two of you came up with 7 Pointless answers in the final and you still say you did pretty badly?! :eek: :eek: :D;)

We'd have been out in the first round!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'd pride myself on my footballing knowledge but I'd have been blown out of the water with the level scoring. Having said that I got Deepdale/Preston and Home Park/Plymouth so would have been safely through. I was just surprised at how many people actually knew the lowest ones. Depends on the day though, would have been a bloodbath on another easily.

My knowledge of consonants would have scraped me through the Beatles :pac:

And I went to town on the final question. Democratic Republic of Congo is the new Central African Republic I reckon. It's capital Kinshasa was a very low score for some question last week too.

Who says that Arts is useless, as for a Geography assignment I was given it as my country to research :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd pride myself on my footballing knowledge but I'd have been blown out of the water with the level scoring. Having said that I got Deepdale/Preston and Home Park/Plymouth so would have been safely through. I was just surprised at how many people actually knew the lowest ones. Depends on the day though, would have been a bloodbath on another easily.

My knowledge of consonants would have scraped me through the Beatles :pac:

And I went to town on the final question. Democratic Republic of Congo is the new Central African Republic I reckon. It's capital Kinshasa was a very low score for some question last week too.

Who says that Arts is useless, as for a Geography assignment I was given it as my country to research :D

A few countries questions I went with Chad and it was pointless. That's up there too.
    Didn't like that guy who didn't know what a consonant was, fist pumping when he got one right. Glad he went out!

• Advertisement

He'll be on again today. I felt bad and embarrassed for him at not knowing what a consonant was but his constant fiddling with his cufflinks soon beat that out of me. He only stopped fiddling to fist pump.

I'm beginning to realise that I'm a little obsessed with Game of Thrones/A Song Of Ice And Fire as I was thinking the ancient city of Valyria was bound to come up :pac:

Also does anyone else think that the final questions are easier in the last few weeks whereas the first 2 rounds are much more difficult. Another 4 pointless answers for me today in
    Ivanesavic, Nalbandian, Soderling and Tsonga
    :cool:

That guy who didn't know what a consonant was. His sons back must be broken from carrying him through the show

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I reckon I got three pointless answers in the final on tennis stars - definitely one for sure as the named him (Todd Martin) but I'd have to put money on my others being pointless too (Magnus Norman and Thomas Enqvist). :chuffed

Some finals are south harder than others though, it really is pot luck if a decent question comes up.

Oh, and I'd be screwed in the anagram rounds - I'm useless at them. They could be listing members of my own family and I'd not recognise them.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Oh, and I'd be screwed in the anagram rounds - I'm useless at them. They could be listing members of my own family and I'd not recognise them.

I am generally hopeless at them but managed all of them today, though it took a while for Bayern Munich

The film title anagrams during the week were very good, but - like that majority - I didn't spot the last one as being Chariots of Fire. I think the problem was I assumed there was a "The" in the title, and started trying to decipher the other letters. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭brian_t

Crowdology™ is an online research community. We value and reward our members for doing fun, topical online surveys on behalf of companies who want to measure public opinions on a wide range of subjects. Our clients span leading consumer brands, media, advertising, Public Relations and publishing companies.

If you're a fan of the quiz show Pointless, you might have noticed our name pop up in the credits as we poll the 100 people.

http://www.crowdology.co.uk/about_us

You get paid to be one of their 100 people polled but you do need a valid British Postcode.
    General Knowledge and the Great British Public

Earlier in the year Redshift Research was fortunate to work on a TV Quiz Show.

The format of the show was not dissimilar to another classic British Quiz show, Family Fortunes.

The quiz participants were asked a series of general knowledge questions, but instead of identifying the most popular answer (which was the basic premise of Family Fortunes), the contestant needed to identify the least popular answer.

The maximum points would be awarded for a pointless question – e.g. where the contestant selected the answer identified by no one else.

The contestant was effectively competing against the great British public.

In order to identify the least commonly identified answers, Redshift conducted extensive polls using its own online access panel, “Crowdology”.

Crowdology is a panel of thousands of people which is representative of the UK population by gender, region, and age, and whose opinions can be called upon on any subject, product, event or issue.

The format of a quiz show which pitches the individual against the audience, or the wider population is both popular and, in terms of the objective of gauging popular opinions, a technically appropriate methodology.

The sceptic might be distrustful of the capabilities of “Jo public”, in their ability to get general knowledge questions right.

One of the objectives of the quiz show (and the polling we did) was to identify pointless questions – e.g. where an answer was not correctly identified by anyone.

In fact this was not as easy as one might expect.

Across a range of general knowledge questions the wider public was able to identify the correct answers, even though they had a strict time limit to answer them, and they were not given the advantage of a multiple choice or coded list.

Remember, this was not a sample of experts, or skewed towards a group of the most highly educated or those interested in history, art or science, but a general, albeit nationally representative sample of the great British public, warts and all.

And for the most part they got it right!
    http://www.redshiftresearch.co.uk/widsom-of-crowds-and-market-research

'I love facts': Pointless co-host Richard Osman is quizzed on his unlikely rise to geeky, gawky fame.

The Independent has an interesting interview with Richard today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/i-love-facts-pointless-cohost-richard-osman-is-quizzed-on-his-unlikely-rise-to-geeky-gawky-fame-8586691.html

brian_t wrote: »
    http://www.crowdology.co.uk/about_us

You get paid to be one of their 100 people polled but you do need a valid British Postcode.

http://www.redshiftresearch.co.uk/widsom-of-crowds-and-market-research

Just signed up for it there. Hope I get asked a few of the questions.

Brian T - Excellent interview. Thanks very much for the link.

Jimmy Iovine - It's bad enough that you make a fortune on those headphones of yours, but that you can qualify for the vox pop in Pointless is almost as jammy as being on the show itself. Grrr. :D

• Advertisement

Jimmy Iovine - It's bad enough that you make a fortune on those headphones of yours, but that you can qualify for the vox pop in Pointless is almost as jammy as being on the show itself. Grrr. :D

Ha ha. I wonder how many questions they ask in the one go and how they ensure that you don't check answers up before answering. It would be very easy to skew the results.

Mind you, if I actually read the information posted above I'd probably have find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Am I the only who doesn't really like Celebrity Pointless? It is fairly dependent on who is on but the woman who was on with John Culshaw today was incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

She wouldn't shut up and the way she was leaning on the podium really annoyed me. Michel Roux cane across really well and Joe Swash and Biggins had great attitudes towards the whole thing.

siblers wrote: »
    Am I the only who doesn't really like Celebrity Pointless? It is fairly dependent on who is on but the woman who was on with John Culshaw today was incredibly annoying.

Penny Smith. ;)

Even when she was GMTV's news anchor, she was very much like Marmite - you either liked her or you didn't.

And I'm afraid to say that I like her.

I'm even more afraid to say that I consider her a MILF... :o:o:o:o:o;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=54956&stc=1&d=1320847613

This episode was, of course, a repeat - she didn't have red hair for very long. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Penny Smith. ;)

Even when she was GMTV's news anchor, she was very much like Marmite - you either liked her or you didn't.

And I'm afraid to say that I like her.

I'm even more afraid to say that I consider her a MILF... :o:o:o:o:o;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=54956&stc=1&d=1320847613

This episode was, of course, a repeat - she didn't have red hair for very long. ;)

Ahh of course!.

I don't bother with the celebrity editions. There's always one over inflated ego on there that annoys me.

Xander Armstrong tweeted this earlier, the Croatian version of Pointless:

It's safe to say that we'd all still prefer our Richard but Xander could be under threat :pac:

Well I'd still prefer Xander. :D

If a lady had to present the show, then Claudia Winkleman would be my choice - like Xander, she's in her early 40s, studied at Cambridge and is effortlessly witty. She'd probably work quite well with Richard, too.

Looking at that clip, it's pretty clear that the Croatians haven't spent as much money on the show as the BBC has... ;)

At night I dream of… climbing and being high up – and having to climb down. I don't know what that signifies. If anyone fancies having an amateur pop at interpreting it I'm open to all comers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/my-secret-life-alexander-armstrong-42-comedian-8483768.html

Maybe he's subconciously worried about his job security on Pointless. :)

• Advertisement

They only showed Episode 18 of 55 of series 9 last Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s4v0m

Wonder why we are back to repeats this week.

They are showing series 5 starting at episode 13

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0148qpk/broadcasts/upcoming

Coincidentally this is the same series they are currently showing on Challenge.
    Its from 2011.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement