Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Richard's on HIGNFY right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Richard's on HIGNFY right now.

And very funny he is too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very droll, he'll have his own chat show before you know it. A sort of Clive Anderson Talks Back for the 21st century.

Yeah, I think we are witnessing the beginning of a wonderful career. A very droll, very clever, very English fecker in the mould of Stephen Fry (yes I know you hate Stephen Fry no need to post and remind me) or John Peel (yes I know paedo) or Morrissey (yes I know sanctimonious vegetarian but I mean before he became a racist too).

I expect great things from him, I mean to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It's hardly the start of a career. He's been around for years.

There's usually a good few people who I hate on the show! The people who talk too much about themselves, the people who say "this is a complete guess" even when you know full well that they knew the answer all along and the people who try to be funny and fail miserably every time! Love Richard and Alexander though.

• Advertisement

Apart from the recent episodes of HIGNFY, what else has he been on?
    There's usually a good few people who I hate on the show! The people who talk too much about themselves, the people who say "this is a complete guess" even when you know full well that they knew the answer all along and the people who try to be funny and fail miserably every time! Love Richard and Alexander though.

That and the phrase "I think I'm going to say..." You're either going to say it or you're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

That and the phrase "I think I'm going to say..." You're either going to say it or you're not.

I think he was in the fast show years ago but im second guessing myself now :P the Armstrong and miller show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

My Bad, whats HIGNFY?

Think Richard would be very good on Qi!

Degag wrote: »
    My Bad, whats HIGNFY?

Forget it... figured it out:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

My Bad, whats HIGNFY?

Have I Got News For You.

And I agree, let's get Richard on QI - He would be brilliant on it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That particularly annoys me when you can tell they think the subject is beneath them and they decide to pretend they no nothing about it. Sometimes you'd nearly get the impression that they'd rather lose than admit to knowing anything about the more trivial topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Skid X wrote: »
    Have I Got News For You.

And I agree, let's get Richard on QI - He would be brilliant on it!!

He was on a team on Only Connect (BBC4), last year. He didn't do all that well .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Richard Osman is mainly a producer I thought and his on screen job on Pointless came about accidentally?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

or those who say "I'm going to take a punt....." You're absolutely right. On mature reflection I think I don't like a lot of them too!

lertsnim wrote: »
    Richard Osman is mainly a producer I thought and his on screen job on Pointless came about accidentally?
    Yeah, I think he pitched the idea to the BBC and he was just sitting in for the screen test or something and the rest is history!

Yeah, I think he pitched the idea to the BBC and he was just sitting in for the screen test or something and the rest is history!

Thought it was something like that. He works on 8 out of 10 cats in an off screen capacity too I was told before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

He played a police officer in the Woody Allen film Scoop!

fhd006SCP_Anthony_Head_001.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the size... I'll look for a smaller one!

That's Alexander Armstrong, not Richard Osman. ;)

Thought it was something like that. He works on 8 out of 10 cats in an off screen capacity too I was told before

That's right, he is a Producer on 8 Out of 10 Cats and he works for Endemol developing new shows.

Here is an article he wrote a few years ago about how he ended up on Pointless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2011/07/pointless-celebrities-richard-osman.shtml

And I think I posted this before, but this article reveals what he does in his main job, and how it doesn't always go right.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/oct/26/uk-tv-worst-ever-gameshows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Here is an article he wrote a few years ago about how he ended up on Pointless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2011/07/pointless-celebrities-richard-osman.shtml

"We're not the Weakest Link... hello."

Brilliant! :D:D:D:D:D

For those who don't already know, Pointless was filmed at studio TC6 of BBC Television Centre before moving to Elstree in February - and here is a picture that Richard tweeted of himself and Xander bidding farewell to the studio, which as you can see was also home to quite a lot of classic BBC TV shows:

_66457784_66457783.jpg

The relocation hasn't meant any immediate changes to the format, though - so the proposed new endgame won't make it to our screens for a while yet.

Speaking of the endgame, Funky Music appears to be joining Katie Price and Spanish Pop among the categories that no-one will pick... :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ Spanish Pop was picked. A team won the jackpot on it I believe. It was to name singles by Enrique or Julio Iglesias.

Acid Jazz seems to be a popular final subject too recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I wouldn't mind a pop at Irish dramatists either. Noone too keen to pick it.

quickbeam wrote: »
    ^^ Spanish Pop was picked. A team won the jackpot on it I believe. It was to name singles by Enrique or Julio Iglesias.

Acid Jazz seems to be a popular final subject too recently.

That's right. I think they eventually renamed it as 'European Pop' but everyone knew it was the fabled Spanish Pop question under a new name, more likely to be picked.

I still wait for Katie Price to be picked. I am convinced that whoever picks it will get an easy question and win the money

She's had a whole bunch of books ghostwritten in her name, which puts her in the unique position of having written more books than she's read. My money is on the Katie Price question being "Name books written by Katie Price" and her children's books will have pointless answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny moment in yesterdays show when Richard asked Alexander if he had an answer for a word ending in "ind"

Alexander answered "friend"

Best "words ending in" round was "words ending in ank"

Cienciano wrote: »
    Best "words ending in" round was "words ending in ank"
    Remember that. Richard made a point of saying that they wouldn't accept any vulgar words. I remember thinking "what vulgar words are they speaking of? Surely skank wasn't considered vulgar." Took me a good ten minutes to figure it out:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Irish winners on it a couple of days ago, woo hoo!

BF49X-PCIAAngeE.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Irish couple were brilliant but unfortunately only won £2000. Best character on the show recently was a tiny asian guy called Kwok. He laughed his way through the whole thing but got to the head-to-head twice. His co-competitor was about 18 ins taller than him. They were like a comedy duo. Great entertainment value.

• Advertisement

Richard will be a guest on '8 out 10 Cats does Countdown' on Friday on Channel 4 at 9pm
    Jimmy Carr hosts the long-running quiz as Jon Richardson is joined by Stephen Mangan to take on Lee Mack and Richard Osman. Henning Wehn is in Dictionary Corner with Countdown regular Susie Dent, and Rachel Riley provides the letters and numbers with a little help from comedian Joe Wilkinson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement