Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Has the new series started? That episode today looked familiar, particularly the Heath Ledger and U.S. President questions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

K-9 wrote: »
    Has the new series started? That episode today looked familiar, particularly the Heath Ledger and U.S. President questions.

Richard Osman says it was new so that's good enough for me :D Although I thought there was an element of deja vu in yesterdays show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭brian_t

Richard Osman says it was BRAND new so that's good enough for me :D Although I thought there was an element of deja vu in yesterdays show.

Fyp (from his twitter)

Don't forget there was a carry-over of some contestants on yesterdays show too.

I'd be inclined to think that you would have remembered Chonnie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Richard Osman says it was new so that's good enough for me :D Although I thought there was an element of deja vu in yesterdays show.

There was an old episode shown recently that had a west wing question.

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to think that you would have remembered Chonnie though.

:D

The, what was the capital of the US before D.C is probably a bit of a quiz staple question, probably the reason I knew it, osmosis rather than reading it or anything like that.
    Surprised the political party one would have seen them through and was quite a low scorer, considering it's a 50/50 shout.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was actually surprised to see The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus turned out to be a Pointless answer.
    Also had a couple of Pointless ER stars.

flazio wrote: »
    I was actually surprised to see The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus turned out to be a Pointless answer.
    Also had a couple of Pointless ER stars.

I wish they'd tell us all the answers or at least put them up on a website. I had Joshua Jackson for the TV shows, because of Fringe rather than Dawson's Creek I might add :pac: but it would be nice to know. There must be many internal debates never settled and just general curiosity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I wish they'd tell us all the answers or at least put them up on a website. I had Joshua Jackson for the TV shows, because of Fringe rather than Dawson's Creek I might add :pac: but it would be nice to know. There must be many internal debates never settled and just general curiosity too.

I had Michelle Williams. I would have loved to know had she made it up to the 100 episodes.

EDIT turns out it was 128

• Advertisement

Read on another forum that when you choose from the main categories you then get a choice of three further sub-categories.

This would sound fair to me. At the moment I think the categories are just too broad.

They can be very vague, only thing is I doubt we'll get a huge jackpot building.

They can be very vague, only thing is I doubt we'll get a huge jackpot building.

I know some folk here will disagree but I don't think that the build-up of large jackpots is needed for Pointless.

I feel a bit dissappointed for them when a good couple gets to the last round and then ends up with a near impossible final question.

On a separate note I also think it's a wee bit unfair that some final questions can have loads of pointless answers while others only have a few.
    (I'm sure I can remember a round when there was only 3).

I know some folk here will disagree but I don't think that the build-up of large jackpots is needed for Pointless.

I feel a bit dissappointed for them when a good couple gets to the last round and then ends up with a near impossible final question.

On a separate note I also think it's a wee bit unfair that some final questions can have loads of pointless answers while others only have a few.
    (I'm sure I can remember a round when there was only 3).

Only getting jackpots of 2 or 3 grand is annoying too, it should be a difficult enough quiz. A team getting a 1 point answer twice is the whole point of the show, it's the "darn that fecker that mentioned that answer" thing.

Like the chase, if only we got that one or two more push backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

TBH I've become fed up with all the geography topics at this stage. It's clear that there are a number of stock answers that are going to be low scoring or pointless no matter how they word a question. There are only so may countries, capitals and US states.

It's become quite tiresome the amount of people who can name the capital of tiny Polynesian islands in one round and not be able to name a bloody U2 song in the next round.

Whatever about the final round they need to revamp the geography rounds imho.

Footoo wrote: »
    It's become quite tiresome the amount of people who can name the capital of tiny Polynesian islands in one round and not be able to name a bloody U2 song in the next round.

I'm reminded of a BBC quizshow from the 1980's called Catchword where Floccinaucinihilipilification became a very overused word.

Footoo wrote: »
    TBH I've become fed up with all the geography topics at this stage. It's clear that there are a number of stock answers that are going to be low scoring or pointless no matter how they word a question. There are only so may countries, capitals and US states.

Whatever about the final round they need to revamp the geography rounds imho.

I absolutely love geography, and have a degree in it too (Oooh fancy, I didn't say how badly I did :pac:). So for me the geography questions make Pointless part of what I really love. I mean come on Central African Republic is a cult hero of the show.

I do agree there were a LOT of geography questions before the repeats started and may need to be scaled back. My biggest complaint is that most of the pop culture be it TV or Music questions tend to date back to the 70's and 80's. Perhaps one token recent one is thrown in. Having said that I guess yesterday's TV show question counters that but they weren't any of "my" shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Going with something like Australian Actors can be a decent strategy. It just depends on the luck of the draw.

Yesterday I was egging them on to go with that choice because I knew Heath Ledger was going to come up sooner rather than later.

Straight away I knew that Two Hands was going to be a pointless answer.

It was one of those shows that suited me down to the ground. I could have coasted to the jackpot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

One of my Heath Ledger answers was Monster Ball which was Pointless, so Actors really aren't such a bad category if you're into the subject. Certainly, I know a lot more about it than other topics and many contestants probably feel the same way. Still, my other two answers were far from Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The final topic today was very similar to one which came up before
    Nobel Peace Prize Winners. Someone won the Jackpot a while back by naming the two Northern Ireland Women who won in 1976 (Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan). I can't remember the exact question then.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You know what really annoys me about this show? "I think I'll play it safe." Todays annoyed me even more as they were already through to the next round. Glad they didn't get to the final. Boris Becker is Swedish? Struth

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

lertsnim wrote: »
    You know what really annoys me about this show? "I think I'll play it safe." Todays annoyed me even more as they were already through to the next round.

I agree for the most part.

Here's the thing though. If a team is already through to the next round, you'll normally hear Alexander tell them it doesn't matter if they get a 100, why not try for a pointless answer to add £250 to prize fund.

But it does matter, the order for the head to head is decided by who has the lowest overall score coming into the round so playing it safe at times can be beneficial.

Saying that, I fall firmly in the 'take a punt' category.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Today's final round question was worded badly:
    European monarchs and spouses
    . Still wouldn't have got a pointless answer regardless

Got a pointless answer in the picture round though.
    Lagos as the former capital city of Nigeria.
    . Delighted :D

First round was harder than usual though, second round excellent

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I got Bronagh Gallagher in the Pulp Fiction round. Laughed at Xander trying to pronounce her name the proper way.

Final round was difficult, but I seem to remember that the President of France is also the monarch of Andorra so Sarkozy / Hollande (whoever was Prez at the time of the question being asked) might have been a good answer. It didn't come up on the list of Pointless answers though so maybe it's a better known fact than I realised and some people said those answers, or maybe they discounted Andorra. If it was me in the final round I'd have stuck the French Prez in there as one of my answers for sure (but then again, unlikely I'd have chosen Royal Families as a topic at all).

Richard Osman (according to Sky information) is on "Would I lie to you?" on BBC1 at 8:30 tonight :D

We love you Richard, we do,
    We love you Richard, we do,
    We love you Richard, we dooo,
    Oooh Richard, we love you!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Richard and DOD. Comedy gold awaits...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Xander always says that it's a shame when a couple reach the final on their first attempt.

In most cases, when the couple in question are likeable, it's hard to disagree.

For me, Paul and Emma from last September are a prime example. Not only were they 40-somethings with good personalities, but Emma... well, let's just say I wouldn't hesitate to get into bed with her if she hadn't already been taken by Paul. :o:o:D;)

In the head-to-head, they were up against an equally likeable grandfather-and-granddaughter couple who were appearing on their second show, having reached the same round in their first. I was hoping, therefore, that the grandfather and granddaughter would progress to the final.

Instead, Paul and Emma won the first question, and then - much to their surprise, and probably everyone else's too - narrowly won the second as well, on anagrams of English cathedral cities...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :(:(:(

And the sense of disappointment at knowing that this was going to be their only show was compounded when they got a really nasty question - the actors in Carry On Columbus, the most recent and probably the worst of the series. :(

If there was any consolation, it was that the jackpot had been won on the previous episode. And they certainly deserved to win more than £1k - especially someone like Emma... :o:o:o;)

For me, Paul and Emma from last September are a prime example.

I don't know how you can remember contestants names from last September.

I couldn't tell you the names of any contestants from a week ago. :o

There is a chap who uploads full episodes to youtube but he doesn't seem to have any from that month (start of series seven).

• Advertisement

Xander always says that it's a shame when a couple reach the final on their first attempt.

In most cases, when the couple in question are likeable, it's hard to disagree.

For me, Paul and Emma from last September are a prime example. Not only were they 40-somethings with good personalities, but Emma... well, let's just say I wouldn't hesitate to get into bed with her if she hadn't already been taken by Paul. :o:o:D;)

In the head-to-head, they were up against an equally likeable grandfather-and-granddaughter couple who were appearing on their second show, having reached the same round in their first. I was hoping, therefore, that the grandfather and granddaughter would progress to the final.

Instead, Paul and Emma won the first question, and then - much to their surprise, and probably everyone else's too - narrowly won the second as well, on anagrams of English cathedral cities...

And the sense of disappointment at knowing that this was going to be their only show was compounded when they got a really nasty question - the actors in Carry On Columbus, the most recent and probably the worst of the series. :(

If there was any consolation, it was that the jackpot had been won on the previous episode. And they certainly deserved to win more than £1k - especially someone like Emma... :o:o:o;)

Any chance that Go Harvey Go and the lovely Emma ( ;) ) are one and the same ? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement